RPG Thread IX is a steaming pile of pointless monologue. Just Youtube the ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']On the flipside, what do you guys think is the easiest RPG completion? Discounting shovelware obviously.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion, its a enjoyable game that you will have fun playing while getting the achievements (you just need to do the quests for every guild/main quest/DLC) Pretty straight-forward

Phantasy Star Universe or Oblivion are the easiest I've played; just play through the game and you get all the achievements; although for Oblivion you do have to do every guild quest line which I guess could be considered side quests.

PSU is pretty easy. Just beat the main story and defeat a few bosses online, nothing too crazy.

Mass Effect 2 is fairly obtainable. Only one I can see having problems with is the Insanity difficulty achievement.

If you consider Borderlands an RPG, it's not a bad completion. Easy and fun game overall, optional co-op so you don't have to play alone, nothing missable IIRC, and basically you just play through it twice. I probably spent around 200 hours on the game because I loved it so much, but if you were just going for achievements as quickly as possible I'm sure you could do it in far less time.

Final Fantasy XIII was another that was not so bad. Only one playthrough required (93 hours for me), definitely some skill involved but nothing an experienced RPG player wouldn't be able to handle, and only one missable achievement that you would really have to go out of your way to miss.

Both Dragon Age games are ultimately about putting in the time-- no skill required.

Mass Effect 2 has difficulty achievements, and Insanity really is tough as nails, but doable.

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard that Magna Carta 2 is a very manageable completion.

Dragon Age II is also very easy as long as you don't miss any of the collectible stuff. Only requires one playthrough and part of two more assuming you import a save. DA:O was much lengthier due to the Level 20 in each class achievements, plus it was just a longer game overall than DAII.

Borderlands is another easy one; I enjoyed it the whole time I played it, and it is a blast to play with other people on co-op (that is, if you're playing with the right people)

[quote name='bvharris']. DA:O was much lengthier due to the Level 20 in each class achievements, plus it was just a longer game overall than DAII.[/QUOTE]

Load up Awakeings make a new Level 18 character, you'll have level 20 before you are done saving Vigils Keep in the opening. Takes about an hour per class.

For W-RPGs Oblivion and Fallout 3 are very easy. Mass Effect 2 is easy in theory though Insane difficulty is kicking my butt.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Load up Awakeings make a new Level 18 character, you'll have level 20 before you are done saving Vigils Keep in the opening. Takes about an hour per class.
[/QUOTE]

Sadly not helpful for those of us who'd already gone through the slog before Awakening came out. :D Not that I minded much, since I loved every second of DA:O.

Damn you BioWare for devaluing the achievementness of my achievements!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']We need to set up a CAG RPG leaderboard on TA for competition and motivation. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree. There is a satisfaction in knowing you are beating your friends.

Wasn't there a website you could create leaderboards then actually see each individual game that those on it had played and compare? I saw it a few years ago but can't find it again.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I agree. There is a satisfaction in knowing you are beating your friends.

Wasn't there a website you could create leaderboards then actually see each individual game that those on it had played and compare? I saw it a few years ago but can't find it again.[/QUOTE]
I think that might have been MyGamerCard.net, which is gone now.

I'll go ahead and set up something on TA!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think that might have been MyGamerCard.net, which is gone now.

I'll go ahead and set up something on TA![/QUOTE]

Cool post a link or send some invites when you are done! (will also let us friend each other on there if we use it)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think that might have been MyGamerCard.net, which is gone now.

I'll go ahead and set up something on TA![/QUOTE]

I might just actually start a TA account now for this

Well, I created the board-- it's called "CAG RPG Players". I'm not sure you can actually restrict it to a certain genre of game though! The site has leaderboards like that but I'm not seeing the option for a user-created leaderboard. :/

For whatever reason every time my brain sees the title of this thread it immediately jumps to "ugly bags of mostly water."

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well, I created the board-- it's called "CAG RPG Players". I'm not sure you can actually restrict it to a certain genre of game though! The site has leaderboards like that but I'm not seeing the option for a user-created leaderboard. :/[/QUOTE]

Sounds a great idea. Link?

Broke down and traded some stuff in to GS with the 360 bonus. I picked up my PSP also grabbed Crisis Core & Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology. More RPGs for the backlog! I'm sure that I'll play these soon though.

I joined the leaderboards. I'll be holding down the low end. I guess that it doesn't help that I played FFXIII on PS3 and Borderlands on PC.

I know Assassin's Creed 2 isn't an RPG, but I am almost finished it. Now I have to decided whether to play 3D Dot Games Heroes or Eternal Sonata. Any suggestions?

If you like classic Zelda, you'll like 3D Dot Game Heroes. I was also surprised at how difficult it was, in a good way.

Whoot! So I've made it to disc two of Lost Odyssey and just got past
the boat tutorial part. I just landed in my first town.
While I really am loving the game so far, are discs 2,3 and 4 shorter than 1? I just felt like one lasted a tad bit too long near the end, and I've heard of people beating the entire game in around 40 hours, and I'm already at 17 :/

I started Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology last night. I like it so far. It is a little different than I expected though (i.e. no traveling around on a map, just selecting where you want to go).

[quote name='Cheska19']Whoot! So I've made it to disc two of Lost Odyssey and just got past
While I really am loving the game so far, are discs 2,3 and 4 shorter than 1? I just felt like one lasted a tad bit too long near the end, and I've heard of people beating the entire game in around 40 hours, and I'm already at 17 :/[/QUOTE]

Uhhm....no. Disc 2 is pretty long and Disc 3 I was on a very very very long time. (the majority of my 57 hours). Disc 4 is the shortest though.

Still as long as you don't get obsessed wtih grinding it should move smoothly forward. Let me know if need any tips or help. :)

[quote name='Cheska19']Whoot! So I've made it to disc two of Lost Odyssey and just got past
While I really am loving the game so far, are discs 2,3 and 4 shorter than 1? I just felt like one lasted a tad bit too long near the end, and I've heard of people beating the entire game in around 40 hours, and I'm already at 17 :/[/QUOTE]

I think they are all pretty long, just as Hell M0nkey said, but don't let that prevent you from completing the game, it's a really good RPG and probably one of the best I have played in a long time (I still need to finish Disc 4 though)

Getting cold feet regarding buying 3rd birthday today, think I might finally try Resonance of Fate instead. I'm a sucker for over the top gun action :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']Getting cold feet regarding buying 3rd birthday today, think I might finally try Resonance of Fate instead. I'm a sucker for over the top gun action :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I don't have a choice. Mine is in the mail already.

The 3rd Birthday.....it just...I don't know, it doesn't look like a Parasite Eve game, maybe that's why they dropped Parasite Eve from the title

Redundant agreement with Hell Monkey and Cheddahz: The other discs are pretty long except 4, which is pretty darn short iirc. I'm sure some people could do it in 40 total, but I was a bit over 60 I think. Depends on how "complete" you want to be (side quests, 1000 years, getting all the mortal's abilities on all the immortals, etc).

[quote name='Cheddahz']The 3rd Birthday.....it just...I don't know, it doesn't look like a Parasite Eve game, maybe that's why they dropped Parasite Eve from the title[/QUOTE]

That's not why, it was a licensing issue, though it's disappointing to hear the game's not that great.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Redundant agreement with Hell Monkey and Cheddahz: The other discs are pretty long except 4, which is pretty darn short iirc. I'm sure some people could do it in 40 total, but I was a bit over 60 I think. Depends on how "complete" you want to be (side quests, 1000 years, getting all the mortal's abilities on all the immortals, etc).[/QUOTE]

Disc 4 is by far the longest if you do the sidequests and stuff. I spent about 100 hours on the game. Over half of those were on disc 4.

I'm guilty of quitting and youtubing the ending. Did that for the good endings of Persona 3+4.

Didn't feel like playing those games another 20-30 hours; 50 hours or whatever it was was enough for me.

[quote name='ihadFG']Disc 4 is by far the longest if you do the sidequests and stuff. I spent about 100 hours on the game. Over half of those were on disc 4.[/QUOTE]

I though most of the side quests were at the end of Disc 3. The only thing I remember doing on Disc 4 is the battle with the Immortal and then the end dungeons.

Well I am playing Persona 3 Portable right now. I am visiting Tartus about once a month follow S Link Guide and it worked out pretty well.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I though most of the side quests were at the end of Disc 3. The only thing I remember doing on Disc 4 is the battle with the Immortal and then the end dungeons.[/QUOTE]

Nope, disc 4 is where you do most everything that's optional. It's when the whole map opens up for exploration.

Playing Disgaea 3, Dragon Age 2, and Sacred 2. It's getting out of hand, so I'm going to focus on beating DA2 then possibly spending 100's of hours in Disgaea if it can suck me in.

[quote name='62t']Well I am playing Persona 3 Portable right now. I am visiting Tartus about once a month follow S Link Guide and it worked out pretty well.[/QUOTE]

Yuck, S Link Guide, I mean if that makes it more fun for you then go for it, but I can't imagine that being fun for me, since I thought lots of the fun in the game (outside of combat) was just picking whoever I wanted to hang with and trying to figure out what to say to make them like me. If I wanted to have all my decisions made for me I'd read a book instead.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I dropped P3P for Tactics Ogre, but hopefully I go back and finish it. There's just sooo much dungeon crawling...[/QUOTE]

How often are you going to Tartarus? I went a few times a month and that seemed about the right mix of battles and school life.

I'd feel more involved in the combat in dragon age (and other 3rd person RPGs) if they game gave me a way to dodge and/or block.

[quote name='ihadFG']Nope, disc 4 is where you do most everything that's optional. It's when the whole map opens up for exploration.[/QUOTE]

Then amend my statement to say Disc 4 is veeeery long.

[quote name='Rodimus']How often are you going to Tartarus? I went a few times a month and that seemed about the right mix of battles and school life.[/QUOTE]

I usually just power through the whole block the first night it's available, spending a little extra time looking for Elizabeth's requests. Then I go back when someone goes missing. That's always been more than enough Tartarus to stay appropriately leveled.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Oh, yeah I just felt obligated to go everytime my party was in healthy condition.[/QUOTE]

They do spend plenty of time guilt-tripping you if they feel you're not going often enough.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Getting cold feet regarding buying 3rd birthday today, think I might finally try Resonance of Fate instead. I'm a sucker for over the top gun action :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
I just started Resonance of Fate over the weekend. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's one of those games where I can just ignore the main quest and do other things for hours on end.

[quote name='icebeast']Yuck, S Link Guide, I mean if that makes it more fun for you then go for it, but I can't imagine that being fun for me, since I thought lots of the fun in the game (outside of combat) was just picking whoever I wanted to hang with and trying to figure out what to say to make them like me. If I wanted to have all my decisions made for me I'd read a book instead.[/QUOTE]

By using a guide I get to spend time with everyone and not waste anytime. Time is very tight between going to Tartus, getting Academic, Charm, and Courage up, and doing S Link. Especially since some of the S Link won't open up until your Academic, Charm, and Courage are at certain level.

[quote name='bvharris']I usually just power through the whole block the first night it's available, spending a little extra time looking for Elizabeth's requests. Then I go back when someone goes missing. That's always been more than enough Tartarus to stay appropriately leveled.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I do. I also don't typically use a guide for the S. Links and I haven't run into many problems yet.

Oh and I have no plans of quitting Lost Odyssey any time soon, the game is very gripping, I was just hoping it wasn't as long as I feared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back