RPG Thread IX is a steaming pile of pointless monologue. Just Youtube the ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='62t']Dont fight it[/QUOTE]

I know, right? I keep hearing really good things about it.

[quote name='ihadFG']That has to be the worst abbreviation ever to say out loud. Even worse than CODBLOPS.[/QUOTE]

I think they did that on purpose ;)

[quote name='kainzero']this TiTs stuff is embarrassing

you all need to stop milking the acronym[/QUOTE]
You people are such boobs. I wish I could strike this thread from my mammary. But then how would I keep abreast of RPG news?

I don't have interest in playing TiTs, but can't we talk about any other RPG besides that one?

On the side note, is Lunar good for the PSP? I might pick it up tomorrow when I pick up Borderlands GOTY

I don't have interest in playing TiTs, but can't we talk about any other RPG besides that one?

On the side note, is Lunar good for the PSP? I might pick it up tomorrow when I pick up Borderlands GOTY

[quote name='Cheddahz']I don't have interest in playing TiTs, but can't we talk about any other RPG besides that one?

On the side note, is Lunar good for the PSP? I might pick it up tomorrow when I pick up Borderlands GOTY[/QUOTE]

Not really. It's pretty dated at this point, and unless you've got some nostalgia for it, it's really not too fun. It's as bog standard as RPGs come and the PSP version doesn't really do anything to change that.

[quote name='Cheddahz']I don't have interest in playing TiTs, but can't we talk about any other RPG besides that one?

On the side note, is Lunar good for the PSP? I might pick it up tomorrow when I pick up Borderlands GOTY[/QUOTE]

I loved Lunar on the PSP. I also loved Silver Star Story for the PS1. They redid the graphics and tweaked gameplay a bit but otherwise it is close to the same game. Still good solid story with normal fare of gameplay.

[quote name='Cheddahz']

If it's your first time playing Lunar, sure it is fun enough. Though if you have played the other two versions I say pass, this one changed a lot in it and I just could not feel connected to it like the others. Try and get a copy of the ps1 version if you really want to play it, the outtake disks alone are great.

" I see a bright hope for the future... and she pampers "

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Does anyone know anything about this game?

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Comes out in two weeks, $39, with artbook and soundtrack. It looks like it's a re-release/expansion of an older game, which is the reason for the budget price, but I haven't seen any previews or even heard of this series.[/QUOTE]

This version makes the game much better. It includes the expansion, which is pretty lengthy, and the original game is improved quite a bit as well. That said, the 360 version is supposed to be crap.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']3 RPGs won't make a console. Though it may have me actually FINISH a Wii game.[/QUOTE]

The sad thing about this gen is they could make the console for me. (Distinguishing between handhelds and consoles, of course.) If I count "RPGs I'm really glad I played", I get Blue Dragon and Vesperia on 360; Valkyria (and Graces F, for sure) on PS3. Maybe FF13 once I get around to it. Maybe Resonance of Fate, if I'm feeling generous. I blame it all on the kids these days.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I loved Lunar on the PSP. I also loved Silver Star Story for the PS1. They redid the graphics and tweaked gameplay a bit but otherwise it is close to the same game. Still good solid story with normal fare of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

It was nice, but they didn't tweak the gameplay enough in the one area which would have made a huge difference: the pace. The battles in Lunar are brutally slow, even by old-school JRPG standards. I liked the re-release, but I was disappointed they didn't speed things up at all. To clarify, I'm not saying they should have Lufia'd it and made it an action RPG, but turn-based battles don't have to be as molasses-y as Lunar's are.

[quote name='bvharris']It was nice, but they didn't tweak the gameplay enough in the one area which would have made a huge difference: the pace. The battles in Lunar are brutally slow, even by old-school JRPG standards. I liked the re-release, but I was disappointed they didn't speed things up at all. To clarify, I'm not saying they should have Lufia'd it and made it an action RPG, but turn-based battles don't have to be as molasses-y as Lunar's are.[/QUOTE]

This was my problem with it as well, way to slow. Considering I've beaten 3 times already it felt over-played. I still love Lunar but I don't typically play RPGs for a second time for that reason.

Started Eternal Sonata, and so far it is interesting. I'm enjoying the battle system, especially the unlocking difficulty and customizability. The story seems interesting enough and I love the colors. Hope my enthusiasm keeps up.

[quote name='momouchi']Started Eternal Sonata, and so far it is interesting. I'm enjoying the battle system, especially the unlocking difficulty and customizability. The story seems interesting enough and I love the colors. Hope my enthusiasm keeps up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it gets off to a good start but the story really goes nowhere and they just really seem to talk about nothing for a longggggggg time.

I still liked it though. You're right, the use of the colours & battle system was nice. The music was one of the best parts.

Even better was that I got lucky and snagged it for $5 at Kmart a few years back. That always makes decent RPGs better

I got back to Final Fantasy XIII over the weekend. Finished Chapte 6 or 7. Now I'm playing as Lightning and Hope trying to sneak past some guards (and from a quick glance at the guide I get Fang soon).

Also knocked out Arrival(ME2) which was short but quite interesting.

[quote name='momouchi']Started Eternal Sonata, and so far it is interesting. I'm enjoying the battle system, especially the unlocking difficulty and customizability. The story seems interesting enough and I love the colors. Hope my enthusiasm keeps up.[/QUOTE]

The story probably will not, for me it felt less and less interesting by the end where I didn't really care about it anymore. Everything else remained enjoyable though.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I got back to Final Fantasy XIII over the weekend. Finished Chapte 6 or 7. Now I'm playing as Lightning and Hope trying to sneak past some guards (and from a quick glance at the guide I get Fang soon).

Also knocked out Arrival(ME2) which was short but quite interesting.[/QUOTE]

Lightning, Hope, and Fang was pretty much my trio the rest of the way out. You can set up some some good Paradigms with those 3.

[quote name='Lokki']Lightning, Hope, and Fang was pretty much my trio the rest of the way out. You can set up some some good Paradigms with those 3.[/QUOTE]
Same here, I used Lightning/Fang/Hope for the entire story (once you get the choice anyway). Vanille is also a good choice instead of Hope, maybe better overall, though she doesn't learn Haste as a Synergist IIRC.

Fang is by far the most useful character IMO, there's almost never a good reason not to have her in the party. Lightning is well-rounded and complements a lot of other characters well. Snow and Sazh are good for specific postgame situations but I never found a place to use them in the campaign. Lightning/Fang/Hope or Lightning/Fang/Vanille will definitely carry you through.

I'd rather use Vanille just since I'd much much rather see her on-scree then Hope, but I keep reading that Hope has multi-hit Ravager ability which Vanille doesn't, so may go the Lighting, Hope, Fang route as well.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I'd rather use Vanille just since I'd much much rather see her on-scree then Hope[/QUOTE]
That's a good enough reason to stick with the all-girl team honestly. :) At least as far as the campaign, Hope and Vanille aren't so different that you're going to have a much easier time with one or the other. I used Hope because I actually liked him as a character (I know, weird).

Vanille definitely outshines Hope in the postgame though. He becomes a real 'jack of all trades, master of none' type (but not in a good way, like Light). Anything you want to use him for, there is someone else more specialized who would be a better choice or complement your other party members better. For the campaign though, he's a solid choice with Light and Fang.

Yeah, I did swap Vanille in on a couple of occasions. I wasn't too fond of emo-Hope, but he gets to be pretty strong.

Lightning, Fang, and Vanille all the way! I was one of the few who had zero issues with Vanilles VA, and thoroughly enjoyed the game enough to own five variations of it's release ;)

Is anyone still playing Radiant Historia? I kind of abandoned it after a while, though not for any particular reason since I was really enjoying it.. I need to get back into it before I forget what was happening.

/deft subject change from FFXIII :D

[quote name='Hell Monkey']It is odd, going back to it after a 6 month break her voice isn't quite as annoying as it was before.[/QUOTE]
Those stupid pointy shoes though... :bomb:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Those stupid pointy shoes though... :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Shoes? I honestly don't notice much of her below the knee or above the neck. I'm shallow like that.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Shoes? I honestly don't notice much of her below the knee or above the neck. I'm shallow like that.[/QUOTE]
She's bangin', no argument there, I just can't get past how stupid those Christmas-elf shoes look. :cold:

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Shoes? I honestly don't notice much of her below the knee or above the neck. I'm shallow like that.[/QUOTE]

The guards Hell Monkey simply didn't notice. Neither did I... I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man's video game character's shoes?

[quote name='bvharris']Is anyone still playing Radiant Historia? I kind of abandoned it after a while, though not for any particular reason since I was really enjoying it.. I need to get back into it before I forget what was happening.

/deft subject change from FFXIII :D[/QUOTE]

I never even started it, lol, I keep really wanting to but don't want to get into a handheld RPG, I'm waiting for FFIV in 3 weeks and not sure if I could finish RH before then.

[quote name='Cheska19']Lightning, Fang, and Vanille all the way! I was one of the few who had zero issues with Vanilles VA, and thoroughly enjoyed the game enough to own five variations of it's release ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes! I used the same team and it worked superbly. Vanille is a deadly Saboteur. Can't say I loved the game, but I did like Vanille a lot.

Is anyone still playing Radiant Historia? I kind of abandoned it after a while, though not for any particular reason since I was really enjoying it.. I need to get back into it before I forget what was happening.
I played 10 hours of it and got sick of it. Too many times you get stuck and don't know quite what to do. The premise was interesting, but I would've preferred branching paths. The battles were way too easy with no strategy and challenge. And the political intrigue story isn't for me.

I did manage to sell it for slightly more than I paid for it, so I was happy about that.

I've been playing Ar Tonelico Qoga and got stuck and am waiting for the FAQ to get updated. In the meantime, I've been playing Trails in the Sky and am really enjoying it.

Are there even any more JRPGs slated to come out in the near future besides FFIV PSP? I'd like to get it, but I've already bought that game 3-4 times already. I think I'll wait for a Amazon DotD or a BF deal on it.

[quote name='2DMention']Are there even any more JRPGs slated to come out in the near future besides FFIV PSP? [/QUOTE]

Only one I can think of is Record of Agarest War Zero in June. Beyond that and the Devil Survivor remake for 3DS, nothing until XIII-2 in December.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Only one I can think of is Record of Agarest War Zero in June. Beyond that and the Devil Survivor remake for 3DS, nothing until XIII-2 in December.[/QUOTE]

XIII-2 is coming out in December? Hell yeah, gives me something else to play now at that time of year besides Battlefield 3, NBA 2K12, Skyrim, and Mass Effect 3!

[quote name='Cheddahz']XIII-2 is coming out in December? Hell yeah, gives me something else to play now at that time of year besides Battlefield 3, NBA 2K12, Skyrim, and Mass Effect 3![/QUOTE]

That is the "holder" date but thy said this year. Anyway why do you need another game? ME3 will take 35+ hours and Skyrim is 60+, that should keep you busy for a long time.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']That is the "holder" date but thy said this year. Anyway why do you need another game? ME3 will take 35+ hours and Skyrim is 60+, that should keep you busy for a long time.[/QUOTE]

True....I hate the fact that all of these games coming out this fall

I'm just hoping that ME3 and FF13-2 don't release too close together. Whichever one I play first, I'm going to regret not playing the other. Give me a couple weeks at least!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm just hoping that ME3 and FF13-2 don't release too close together. Whichever one I play first, I'm going to regret not playing the other. Give me a couple weeks at least![/QUOTE]

All ME3 baby. I may buy Skyrim and FF13-2 but they will sit on my shelf til I've had my ME fill.

If ME3 and FFXIII-2 do come out around the same time, I think I will pick up FFXIII-2 first, and then ME3 in the near future. ME2 dropped in price really fast, so I hope ME3 does the same

[quote name='Hell Monkey']All ME3 baby.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, realistically, if ME3 and FF13-2 come out on the same day :)cold:), FF13-2 is not getting unwrapped until I see the credits roll on ME3 at least once. It would hurt though.

[quote name='Lokki']I thought that the FF13-2 date was for the Japan release.....[/QUOTE]
The English trailer also said "Winter" IIRC. That could mean as late as February 2012, and of course, it could be pushed back even further.

Just got a new PC and I know MMORPGs are time wasters, but I was just wondering if there are any F2P MMORPGs that you guys would recommend.

Also since there is no monthly plan for FF14, is it even worth it to try out? I love the lore and style, but I have no idea what to expect from the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back