RPG Thread IX is a steaming pile of pointless monologue. Just Youtube the ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='rainking187']I think the pinnacle of hype for FFXIV was somewhere between when it was mentioned to be for PS3 and when it was revealed to be an online game. So people were probably very interested in it for a good 30-40 seconds there.[/QUOTE]

It may have helped if 1.) it wasn't crap and 2.) the PS3 version saw the light of day.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']It may have helped if 1.) it wasn't crap and 2.) the PS3 version saw the light of day.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we will see that PS3 version until they update that game heavily, or we just might not ever see it

In my opinion if we ever see a game entitled "Final Fantasy XIV" on PS3 it will be because S-E decided to pretend like XIV never happened and just release the next mainline series game under that title.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I put this in the PS3 Forum but Square-Enix has also just announced Final Fantasy VI coming to PSN.[/QUOTE]

That's the one with the killer jester right? That's probably my favorite out of the 2D FF's games. I would get it for my PSP, but Xenogears is taking up most of my Memory Stick space

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I put this in the PS3 Forum but Square-Enix has also just announced Final Fantasy VI coming to PSN.[/QUOTE]

Awesome.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Replaying Breath of Fire 2, sometimes I wonder why they haven't made another sequel since that horrible Dragon Quarter.[/QUOTE]

You might have answered your own question. ;)

I love the series, but it might just be a dated formula at this point, I'm not sure Capcom has any interest in reviving it.

[quote name='Rodimus']That's kinda odd. Is it going to be considered a PS1 classic?[/QUOTE]
What I want to know is if it's on Virtual Console yet.

I started the original Parasite Eve last night. It's like a cool RPG attached to an irritating adventure game. I keep getting stuck because I've searched the whole environment and haven't found a key, so I have to run through again, trying to find the exact right pixel to stand in to interact with the correct background element.

[quote name='Rodimus']That's kinda odd. Is it going to be considered a PS1 classic?[/QUOTE]
Makes sense. I'm pretty sure in Japan V and VI were released separately for PS1.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Replaying Breath of Fire 2, sometimes I wonder why they haven't made another sequel since that horrible Dragon Quarter.[/QUOTE]
someone made a "retranslation" patch in emulator land.

it makes breath of fire 2 so much more tolerable.
both the snes version and the gba version were so horribly localized...

i think the most annoying part is merging with shamans

"would you like to merge with a shaman?"
>yes
"ok, see you later"

>no
"step into the chamber so we can begin the process!"

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I thought Cross Edge's battle system was a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest avoiding Cross Edge like the plague. Personally I couldn't figure out the battle system at all, and the dungeon design was awful (2D, super basic, and only one screen wide with loading screens all the time) and over complicated menu (seriously I think there might have been 3 ways just to equip people in that game by going into different menus). It was one of the only games in a little under 20 years of gaming that I've traded in. I didn't even make it that far into it, maybe 4 hours and I never wanted to see it again, traded it in and got Monster Hunter Freedom Unite which I played a ton of, so the story has a happy ending. :lol:

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Maybe it is the Anthology version?[/QUOTE]

If so, then I don't want it, unless somehow making it downloadable fixes the horrible load times that occurred on the PS1 version (I'd assume that was due to reading the data off the disc, so maybe it will go away). But seriously Anthology version of FFVI is horrible, it seriously takes 3-5 seconds of black screen every time you want to open the menu, and battle loading also took a long time.

I played both SNES and PS1 versions of FFVI but the first time I actually beat it was on the GBA. I thought that version was pretty good.

I also expect it to be the Anthology version, it makes the most sense. Still, I'd only be interested if it's some enhanced version which I highly doubt.

I also was not a fan of BoF2. I got about halfway through and was extremely bored. I may have been able tolerate it in my younger years but it has not aged well. I remember getting new characters sucked because it did that thing were it starts them off at a preset lvl instead of boosting it closer to the MC. I've never played Dragon Quarter but I often see people either hate it or love it. I wonder how well BoF III & IV aged.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GBA version is definitely great, especially the sprint feature which greatly reduces play time. As someone who plays FFVI to completion at least once a year, that's been a big help. The one area which doesn't hold up as well is the music, which just doesn't sound as good on the GBA as the SNES version does.

[quote name='kainzero']someone made a "retranslation" patch in emulator land.

it makes breath of fire 2 so much more tolerable.
both the snes version and the gba version were so horribly localized...

i think the most annoying part is merging with shamans

"would you like to merge with a shaman?"
>yes
"ok, see you later"

>no
"step into the chamber so we can begin the process!"[/QUOTE]

:lol:, true the dialog is pretty terrible, still there's just something so satisfying about turning into a giant dragon and destroying a horde of enemies off the board in 5 seconds.

[quote name='Rodimus']
I also was not a fan of BoF2. I got about halfway through and was extremely bored. I may have been able tolerate it in my younger years but it has not aged well. I remember getting new characters sucked because it did that thing were it starts them off at a preset lvl instead of boosting it closer to the MC. I've never played Dragon Quarter but I often see people either hate it or love it. I wonder how well BoF III & IV aged.[/QUOTE]

Well the high encounter rate and inability to run from all random battles certainly makes it rather taxing at times especially towards the later parts, luckily most dungeons are rather small in overall size.

[quote name='zionoverfire']:lol:, true the dialog is pretty terrible, still there's just something so satisfying about turning into a giant dragon and destroying a horde of enemies off the board in 5 seconds.[/QUOTE]
play the retranslation. =)

[quote name='zionoverfire']:lol:, true the dialog is pretty terrible, still there's just something so satisfying about turning into a giant dragon and destroying a horde of enemies off the board in 5 seconds.

Well the high encounter rate and inability to run from all random battles certainly makes it rather taxing at times especially towards the later parts, luckily most dungeons are rather small in overall size.[/QUOTE]

As much as I loved BoF growing up, the first two entries have not aged particularly well in my opinion, mostly for the reasons you cited.

Final Fantasy VI seriously needs an overhaul a la the PSP FFs. I like the additions made in the GBA version as well as the retranslation, but my God... it sounds fucking horrible.

But no, Square will probably just remake FFIV again.

So now that Resonance of Fate has been out for a good year or so... how is it? I've really never liked a Tri-Ace game, but there's something about the art style I like that has me somewhat interested.

[quote name='Chacrana']Final Fantasy VI seriously needs an overhaul a la the PSP FFs. I like the additions made in the GBA version as well as the retranslation, but my God... it sounds fucking horrible.

But no, Square will probably just remake FFIV again.[/QUOTE]

Well you know the 3DS just came out....;)

Just ordered Radiant Historia, I hope it lives up to the hype.

I think it would be awesome if Square-Enix could remake or just re-released on XBLA or PSN with updated graphics and what not (and some achievements/trophies). I mean look at the new Might & Might Magic game, while it is a port of a DS game, the graphics are re-done beautifully. Too bad Square-Enix would never do this though

[quote name='Chacrana']So now that Resonance of Fate has been out for a good year or so... how is it? I've really never liked a Tri-Ace game, but there's something about the art style I like that has me somewhat interested.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I feel the same way about Tri-Ace, but I am still curious about Resonance of Fate for some reason.

I rented RoF, played it for a few hours and found the combat too complicated for my simple brain. But from what I see everyone that stuck with it ends up liking it.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I feel the same way about Tri-Ace, but I am still curious about Resonance of Fate for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it...but it is a hard game, like really hard. I think I got stuck on like Chapter 5 or something. But overall, it's a good game

Yeah, the battle system is really complicated and it takes a long time before you become good at it and even then it comes down to luck a lot.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Yeah, the battle system is really complicated and it takes a long time before you become good at it and even then it comes down to luck a lot.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, it sounded somewhat appealing until the luck part. I'm not a big fan of games heavy on luck.

[quote name='Rodimus']I rented RoF, played it for a few hours and found the combat too complicated for my simple brain. But from what I see everyone that stuck with it ends up liking it.[/QUOTE]
i got more than halfway through then quit because the battles were just soooooo long even if they were easy.

actually it didn't matter if it was easy or hard, they were all the same length, long.

Getting ready to start Tales of Vesperia finally.

Question: Anyone else's manual missing pages? Mine is half English half French, but the English half repeats itself and doesn't have the stuff from the French half, like status effects and advanced attack abilities. Very odd.

Edit: It has pages 1-18, then 11-18, then 35-52. Are misprints like this worth anything? lol

[quote name='ihadFG']Hmm, it sounded somewhat appealing until the luck part. I'm not a big fan of games heavy on luck.[/QUOTE]
If it helps, the luck thing really just applies to side quests because those enemies are often way above your level.

[quote name='kainzero']i got more than halfway through then quit because the battles were just soooooo long even if they were easy.

actually it didn't matter if it was easy or hard, they were all the same length, long.[/QUOTE]
Only the dungeon battles, the other battles you can just do a leader kill and they're over in less than a minute.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']If it helps, the luck thing really just applies to side quests because those enemies are often way above your level.
[/QUOTE]

Well that's good then. I'd probably just try to stick to the main game anyway. Maybe I'll pick it up some day.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']4 more days until I'll be happily playing FFIV CC! Yay![/QUOTE]

Probably a good deal longer for me unfortunately since I ordered the UK LE.

Has anyone played both Cross Edge and Trinity Universe? I loved Cross Edge, as well as Aragest Wars, and am looking to pick up Trinity Universe. The only problem I am having is I cant' find TU for less than 40 bucks. Can someone compare the two before I take the plunge?

[quote name='bvharris']Probably a good deal longer for me unfortunately since I ordered the UK LE.[/QUOTE]

I thought about it but Im' getting it for $9 through Amazon with my various credits. I also don't want to wait, lol.

Stopped playing Eternal Sonata because I'm underlevelled and need to grind some. So I went back to Minecraft and can't get away from it. I want to play some of my backlog but this damn addicting game keeps dragging me back.

I didn't think RoF had too much luck to it. It was certainly more difficult than average, but when you retry a battle with the same strategy, the outcome probably won't change. But then again, I did every sidequest, so I was probably levelled higher than necessary for the main story.

That battle system was my favorite of this gen, I think.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Only the dungeon battles, the other battles you can just do a leader kill and they're over in less than a minute.[/QUOTE]
depends on the leader and the level layout. if you need to shoot several parts off then it does require a bit of work as you switch between machine gun and pistol.

also, arena battles.

[quote name='default_shepard']I didn't think RoF had too much luck to it. It was certainly more difficult than average, but when you retry a battle with the same strategy, the outcome probably won't change.[/QUOTE]
the luck was involved in battles where you fought monsters higher level. the reason being, jump attacks spray your bullets randomly, and if you don't hit the right body parts then a monster that would otherwise be dead could instead mean that your character is dead.

but i will say that most of those battles are easily avoided.

[quote name='default_shepard'] but when you retry a battle with the same strategy, the outcome probably won't change. [/QUOTE]
Unless you were lucky enough to get the full scratch skill to activate. Honestly, there were plenty of those red hex battles or side quests where I just retried them until I could get that skill to activate.

Just reading this discussion of Resonance of Fate has convinced me to never play it. I'm pretty sure I'd hate it to death. Literally to death.

Does PSP FFIV have any graphical changes, or is it just the PSX and/or GBA release ported, plus intermission and after years? (and is after years any different than on Wii?) I haven't seen anything definitive on that yet.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']4 more days until I'll be happily playing FFIV CC! Yay![/QUOTE]

I'm out of town for work atm and won't be back until the 25th. My Gamestop is supposed to hold it for me until I get back, but I may end up buying it from a store here. I did pick up Crimson Gem Saga the other day, so maybe I should start that to keep me busy until I get back and can pick up my copy of FFIV.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Does PSP FFIV have any graphical changes, or is it just the PSX and/or GBA release ported, plus intermission and after years? (and is after years any different than on Wii?) I haven't seen anything definitive on that yet.[/QUOTE]

Improved graphics. Same quality as FF1 and 2 on PSP

[quote name='62t']Improved graphics. Same quality as FF1 and 2 on PSP[/QUOTE]

Nice. Guess I'll have to pick it up some time, making it I think the 4th time I've played it, lol.

Also, Vesperia's Secret Missions can suck a fat one. I've killed so many bosses before the "SM" part even came up, fuck it. Don't really care about the cheavos or titles anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back