RPG Thread VI needs a remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Yeah, I started that a little while ago and put it back on the shelf, probably forever. I only played 2 or 3 fights but they were just too boring I couldn't stand any more.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I very rarely quit a game, but this one was just so bad.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Yeah, I started that a little while ago and put it back on the shelf, probably forever. I only played 2 or 3 fights but they were just too boring I couldn't stand any more.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pete5883']Same here. I very rarely quit a game, but this one was just so bad.[/QUOTE]

That's disappointing to hear, Infinite Space was definitely one I was looking to snag once the price dropped (which it seems in no hurry to do). I'll wait for the bargain bin now probably.

[quote name='kainzero']I'm prepping for DQ9 by playing DQ8.

3 hours in, just got my alchemy pot =)[/QUOTE]

I'd really like to play through DQ8 again. That game was ridiculously good.

Not in the mood for it right now though... so we'll see. Hopefully later this summer.

[quote name='bvharris']You better step on it, that's a long ass game. :D[/QUOTE]
Oh, I don't think it's that long, nor is there a huge rush to where I HAVE to finish it before DQ9 comes out.

It says my last playthrough was 63 hours, and I think I completed the Dragovian Trials up to the Darksteel Dragon.

That commercial was silly, in a good way. Thanks for posting it, Kissfuldreamer!

[quote name='kainzero']Oh wait, it didn't take me 63 hours. It took me 98 hours.[/QUOTE]
I was about to say!

Can't recall how long it took me to beat, but it was definitely north of 90 hours (didn't do the Dragovian Trials).

I think it might be time to dig out the good ol' PS2 and start up a new game of Chrono Cross. It's only natural. I just beat Trigger and it's been at least 8 years since I played Cross.

I need something to tide me over till DQ9.

Man I felt like I was taking my time but I still made it through DQ8 in 73 Hours and I was only level 41 when I did, I did the Epilogue, but not the Dragonian Trials. I still want to beat DQ7 because I really like that game, but I always loose steam or get side tracked, I think this last time I was a little further than I had made it before but I was still only 20 hours in... somehow DQ7 makes just that 20 hours feel super long though; I think it is the fact that the game is composed of so many tiny stories without much of an apparent large story that kind of does it. Like I love each of the little stories, but it is confusing at times since the game isn't the best at directing you; and there are a bunch of times where the game assumes that you remember something about one of the previous stories so you can go back and get something that you now need.

About to play some Jeanne D'Arc, I'm all Mass Effect'd out. I wish ME2 would just engage the main narrative a bit after 12 hours of play instead of just telling me to go recruit more people =(

First hour -- The collectors!?
Fifth hour -- The collectors.
Twelfth hour -- We need to fight the collectors.

I feel less like Commander Shepherd and more like some bounty hunter roaming the galaxy.

I think I was at the 52 hour mark when I finished DQ8.

Am I the only one who has no intention of getting DQ9? I feel like it looks boring, especially since I don't plan on playing the game with other people...

I have no idea what it looks like. I just feel like it's a DQ, so it's gotta be good. The only DQ that has disappointed me is 2.
[quote name='icebeast']I still want to beat DQ7 because I really like that game, but I always loose steam or get side tracked, I think this last time I was a little further than I had made it before but I was still only 20 hours in... somehow DQ7 makes just that 20 hours feel super long though; I think it is the fact that the game is composed of so many tiny stories without much of an apparent large story that kind of does it. Like I love each of the little stories, but it is confusing at times since the game isn't the best at directing you; and there are a bunch of times where the game assumes that you remember something about one of the previous stories so you can go back and get something that you now need.[/QUOTE]
Yeah definitely.
I really hated how you had to look for those damn map pieces, eventually I just used a walkthrough for that.

It's a fun game though. I love the battle system because you can make so many broken combinations. And in the end, it all loses to Sword Dance anyway =)

Sitting at 95 hours in Persona 4. I'm hitting that brick wall where I truly realized I'll just have to play this beast all over again to truly max everything out.

It's a good thing I have Star Ocean Second Story coming in soon because I'm ready to get away from Shin Megami Tensei anything. I can't deal with Igor anymore. What's his deal through the whole thing? He seems to be the one constant that I can't wrap my brain around.

[quote name='depascal22']Sitting at 95 hours in Persona 4. I'm hitting that brick wall where I truly realized I'll just have to play this beast all over again to truly max everything out.

It's a good thing I have Star Ocean Second Story coming in soon because I'm ready to get away from Shin Megami Tensei anything. I can't deal with Igor anymore. What's his deal through the whole thing? He seems to be the one constant that I can't wrap my brain around.[/QUOTE]

He's just a dude who likes lounges.

[quote name='Chacrana']I think I was at the 52 hour mark when I finished DQ8.

Am I the only one who has no intention of getting DQ9? I feel like it looks boring, especially since I don't plan on playing the game with other people...[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. Unless I hear some good impressions about solo play, I'll probably pass (or pick it up cheap down the road, or can convince my roommate to pick it up too). I do kind of feel like resuming DQ8 though. I love how when you load a save in that game, the characters kind of remind you of what you have to do (haven't played in over a year).

[quote name='Chacrana']I think I was at the 52 hour mark when I finished DQ8.

Am I the only one who has no intention of getting DQ9? I feel like it looks boring, especially since I don't plan on playing the game with other people...[/QUOTE]
It's not that, it's that I finally have the willpower to ignore a DQ game. Since I know it will be almost exactly like the 8 that precede it.

I also have no desire to play DQ9. Never really been a fan of the series anyways. Only one I beat was 8. Besides, I already have a few RPGs I've yet to touch on my newly acquired PSP. Also I read from a few impressions that the story and characters were terrible.

I'll be honest, by far the most appealing part about DQIX for me (other than it being Dragon Quest) is that the equipment you get actually appears on the character models. Such a subtle thing and yet amazingly it's not standard yet in every game. Definitely makes doing some long sidequest to get a sword or piece of armor that much more appealing.

Despite loving the series (having only played the ones released here so far) I've always found the stories to be pretty hokey (insofar as they're pretty much by-the-numbers JRPG stories), so I'm not going to judge it too harshly on that.

[quote name='Chacrana']Am I the only one who has no intention of getting DQ9? I feel like it looks boring, especially since I don't plan on playing the game with other people...[/QUOTE]

Ya I'm a little worried about the multiplayer aspect as well, since I don't really know anyone who is a huge Dragon Quest fan like I am... but it is Dragon Quest and I've loved all the previous ones and I'd like to continue to see them released in America so I'm willing to support it.

[quote name='kainzero']Yeah definitely.
I really hated how you had to look for those damn map pieces, eventually I just used a walkthrough for that.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I agree I totally started using a guide a ways into that game, because ya sometimes finding the map pieces can be really difficult, and parts of the game where it is like I hope you remember in one of the stories that there was a really good medicine maker in that time because you need to go ask them for a favor... or I hope you found that place on the main timelines world map that has giant crocodile bones because you need to go there to progress a story. But ya combat in DQ7 is really fun, and I love how it had jobs; plus some of the stories are really cool... I personally really liked the robot story, like the conclusion of that story where you go back to modern times and revisit the town almost brings me to tears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean by skipping DQIX; I've heard the story is terrible and the game is overall meh, but I'm such a huge DQ fanboy I can't pass it up. I'm not terribly enthusiased about seeing enemies on the screen either.

[quote name='panzerfaust']About to play some Jeanne D'Arc, I'm all Mass Effect'd out. I wish ME2 would just engage the main narrative a bit after 12 hours of play instead of just telling me to go recruit more people =(

First hour -- The collectors!?
Fifth hour -- The collectors.
Twelfth hour -- We need to fight the collectors.

I feel less like Commander Shepherd and more like some bounty hunter roaming the galaxy.[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect'd out? Not possible! I plan on sinking in more than 12 hours today. Gotta hurry if I want to have time for Tales of Legendia this week too.

But yeah, I was thinking the same thing. When it's over, I wonder what percentage of total gameplay time will be spent recruiting vs. everything else.

And I still wish they could do some decent character development. At least they're attempting it more than ME1, but it just falls flat. There have been scenes where I know I'm supposed to be emotionally involved, but I'm just not. That's probably an artifact of giving the player so much control over Shepard's dialog.

[quote name='2DMention']I know what you mean by skipping DQIX; I've heard the story is terrible and the game is overall meh, but I'm such a huge DQ fanboy I can't pass it up. I'm not terribly enthusiased about seeing enemies on the screen either.[/QUOTE]
I don't know...
I feel like they say the same thing about all DQ games. "The story is terrible and the gameplay is dated."

I'm not picking up DQ9 right away either.

Then again, I'm not a fan of 8 and I haven't played the remakes of 4 or 5 either. Huge Dragon Warrior (NES) fan from back in the day though.

With fan art like this, it is quite difficult to choose a wife in DQ5...

1235801408910.jpg

:drool:

I'm playing it right now and I chose Bianca, just because she seemed to make the most sense story-wise. I don't find her that useful as a party member though, I wonder if either of the other two are any better.

Does anyone have any experience with rare RPGs from Gamefly? I am moving and I'm hesitant to take my rare RPGs to a place that may not be as temperate as where they are currently stored.

[quote name='bvharris']:drool:

I'm playing it right now and I chose Bianca, just because she seemed to make the most sense story-wise. I don't find her that useful as a party member though, I wonder if either of the other two are any better.[/QUOTE]
Gameplay wise, after a while all the wives suck compared to a monster, but the kids are really good.

I left her in the party though.
I'm sentimental like that.

Debora sure is sexy though. If I wasn't sentimental, I'd pick her over Flora / Nera.

[quote name='kainzero']Gameplay wise, after a while all the wives suck compared to a monster, but the kids are really good.

I left her in the party though.
I'm sentimental like that.

Debora sure is sexy though. If I wasn't sentimental, I'd pick her over Flora / Nera.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I definitely use the kids (I honestly forget their default names). Son is a great fighter and the daughter has great support spells. I'm nearing the endgame and my party is rounded out by a Slime Knight, who's by far the most useful monster I've found, despite getting him very early. They can equip most good swords and armor, and also have healing spells.

I kept a save right before the wife choice, so if I finish with time to spare before DQIX (which I should) I'm gonna go back and try Debora.

[quote name='bvharris']I'll be honest, by far the most appealing part about DQIX for me (other than it being Dragon Quest) is that the equipment you get actually appears on the character models. Such a subtle thing and yet amazingly it's not standard yet in every game. Definitely makes doing some long sidequest to get a sword or piece of armor that much more appealing.[/QUOTE]
This was by far my most favorite part of Dragon Quest VIII. Well, of the 30 or so hours I put into it. I got to the old castle, battled some people, stepped through a door, and then I started playing another game. :bouncy:

I'm gonna wait on getting DQ9 too. I've got too much on the backlog, and my gameplay time has taken a huge hit lately, so it may be awhile before I get around to it. Besides, I only just played DQ8 a few months ago, and still feel kinda burned-out from the experience.

[quote name='ForeStorm']This was by far my most favorite part of Dragon Quest VIII. Well, of the 30 or so hours I put into it. I got to the old castle, battled some people, stepped through a door, and then I started playing another game. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Ah, so you never got the leather bustier for Jessica ;-)

[quote name='willardhaven']Does anyone have any experience with rare RPGs from Gamefly? I am moving and I'm hesitant to take my rare RPGs to a place that may not be as temperate as where they are currently stored.[/QUOTE]

No, but it sounds like your game storage standards are admirably high. Is there anything more to it than indoors, out of sunlight, dehumidified, smoke-free?

Hmmm... You know, I think I'm in the mood for dq8 now... I think I'll start it tomorrow night. God, I love that game so much.

Just finished Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Aside from never quite getting used to the controls and the annoying difficulty in the last couple bosses, I enjoyed it a lot. I guess I'm going to need to track down Partners in Time now.

With all of the DQ talk, I decided to load my game back up. It seems I'm supposed to leave Baccarat and head...some place, but I ended up grinding for an hour because I felt like the enemies were too difficult right outside the place. Maybe I should invest in some armor.

15 hours in, and character interaction is Mass Effect 2 still feels like playing in a doll house. I can tell Bioware is getting better though, as conversations feel much more cinematic -- I just hope they put some more effort into developing personalities instead of simply character backgrounds.

Garrus and Tali are probably the best though =D

Tali's loyalty mission was the only part of the game where I actually felt some emotion. I think the problem is with so many choices they are spread too thin. They should keep the choices for dealing with minor characters and ethical issues, but for main character interactions it would be better if they minimized the number of choices... and got Tetsuya Takahashi to do it.

I actually loved all the loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2, and I felt sorry for several characters because of the outcome of most (Jacob, Samara, Tali, even Jack). Although there wasn't a whole lot to the main story, I really enjoyed the side stories.

The problem I had with loyalty missions in ME2 was that they weren't woven into some grander narrative... if they'd done that, it would've made the game feel like it's actually about something. That'd be cool!

But even so, I really, really liked the game.

I enjoyed the loyalty missions. Probably my favorite moment of the game was at the end in Samara's loyalty mission.
Where you could choose to save Mornlith or Samara.
I sat there for a good ten minutes thinking what I should do, contemplating the consequences.

[quote name='LostRoad']Rod are you picking up P3P? I got a code for it, and I don't want digital poop.[/QUOTE]

I honestly haven't thought about P3P. There's so much on my plate at the moment, having a baby & moving. When I do get 20 minutes of free time I'm playing Mario Galaxy and Grandia. I really appreciate the offer but if I do get it I'm sure I'll wait till I have more free time (since the orginal sucked over 150 hours of my life.) BTW what's the code for?

Your kid was born? When did this happen? Grats though. Its a code for the game, I have a hard copy and got the code as well so looking to get rid of the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back