RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah so those preorder DLC outfits are super over powered, as they come with the weapons and everything. Those alone would normally cost 200,000 gil. Looks like I just won't use any of that shit until I beat the game normally.

The Cloud Strife one looks pretty sick, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any suggestions for someone who has never played a JRPG? I've always been intrigued but intimidated by them. I own a PS3, PS4, Vita and 3DS. What's a good JRPG for a beginner?

Woo!  My Bravely Default finally came yesterday.  Didn't have much chance to play it, but me likey!  Thanks to the demo my Norende is already decently stocked with people too so I was able to open some time consuming things just overnight.

I'll put up my FC info and add ya'lls after work tonight!

Any suggestions for someone who has never played a JRPG? I've always been intrigued but intimidated by them. I own a PS3, PS4, Vita and 3DS. What's a good JRPG for a beginner?
I started out with Resonance of Fate and then moved to FF13. I wouldn't recommend that order as FF13 is easier to play because RoF has a huge difficulty spike for the first boss. Personally, I thought both were really fun and can't go wrong either way.

I'll add you guys later for some Bravely Default.

Get yourself an RPG from the PSN on the Vita. Xenogears, Final Fantasy 7 or 9, or even the new Fire Emblem on the 3DS works since they added in a casual mode which means your unit don't die permanently.

FFX is coming out on the PS3/Vita. You can also play that once it releases.

I started out with Resonance of Fate and then moved to FF13. I wouldn't recommend that order as FF13 is easier to play because RoF has a huge difficulty spike for the first boss. Personally, I thought both were really fun and can't go wrong either way.
NOT Resonance of Fate. The game is fun but the difficulty can be a pain for some, as can the combat. Not good for someone looking to get into RPGs.

I gotta get back into that one....

._.

I was trying to think of a JRPG from this gen that was a kind of normal/typical, bread-and-butter experience that would be a good intro to the genre, and I'm coming up empty... Maybe Tales of Vesperia, but that's only on :360:. Same with Lost Odyssey, which is probably the most traditional JRPG experience of the generation.

My personal favorite of the generation is Final Fantasy XIII, but that's a very atypical and polarizing game. I would recommend it just as a fun game, but not really in the sense of "This is something that fans of JRPGs like."

Or maybe Persona 4 Golden, which is an amazing and universally liked game, but again not necessarily typical of the genre.

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster might be the best choice.

NOT Resonance of Fate. The game is fun but the difficulty can be a pain for some, as can the combat. Not good for someone looking to get into RPGs.

I gotta get back into that one....

._.
Very true. Difficulty spikes are pretty random even with hitting the arena to grind between stages like I did to get the plat. fuck doing that mess all at once...heh. If you can get through the difficulty though, I think it's a good intro to some of the tropes and zaniness of JRPG's. Once you figure out the combat though, the game gets MUCH easier and better.

Lighting Returns CE just got delivered to my office. SWEET.

Ni No Kuni might be a good choice for the PS3. I think it even has an easy difficulty option if you really want to ease into things.

Ni No Kuni might be a good choice for the PS3. I think it even has an easy difficulty option if you really want to ease into things.
It's an amazing game with a great story. It has the "pokemon" inventory RPG system. You need to have different animals to keep the different elements to use against each other (Think rock, scissors, paper). It has a great tutorial section, so it might do the requester ok.

This is probably going to be a dumb question, but for anyone who ha splayed Bravely Default and Xenoblade, which one did you enjoy more? I bought a used copy of Xenoblade a few weeks ago and I can return it and just get Bravely Default (I originally got Xenoblade at laucnh and got stuck on the first boss and called it quits)

Dragon Quest 5 for DS is my pick. It's straight-forward, conventional, and has a fantastic story. It's challenging enough too.

I'm also a huge fan of Final Fantasy Dimensions for iOS/Android. Dimensions reminds me a lot of Bravely Default, actually, though I like Bravely Default's balance a lot more (it's much more difficult than Dimensions).

JRPGs nowadays have wildly varying battle/progression systems so there's nothing really standard anymore.

creid, Pumkin, Action, and Jekki added for Bravely Default.  Come on anyone else who has it, post your infos!

FC: 4940-5578-9611

Name:  Brandon  (apparently I wasn't cool enough to use my usual net handles and just set it to my name back when I got a 3ds haha)

As for "my first RPG" I agree with Ni No Kuni.  Great Ghibli art/design, "simple" yet engaging story, gameplay mechanics slowly added over time so as not to overwhelm (though way too slow imho).  Just beware that it starts very very slow and takes a while to get going.  Might not be as noticible to someone who isn't big into RPGs however.

I'd also be tempted to dip into the DS (via 3DS) backlog of classic jRPG's, namely Chrono Trigger.  It was arguably my first RPG ever and it hooked me (though being obsessed with Dragon Ball Z at the time, the Akira Toriyama involvement probably helped a lot...)

I got Lightning Returns (PS3) even after terrible reviews, here is my review

I have no damn clue what the hell is going on in this game story wise. The battle system, garb/dress up system is addicting and awesome. The end.

I got Lightning Returns (PS3) even after terrible reviews, here is my review

I have no fucking clue what the hell is going on in this game story wise. The battle system, garb/dress up system is addicting and awesome. The end.
That's basically every review I read but short and sweet.

Inazuma Eleven's on the eShop! :whee: Glad I ended up not importing a physical copy, as that would've cost quite a bit more.

Also, I started the most amazing/awesome dungeon in P4 today :D

You talking about Void Quest?
Yah. I have a pretty good idea about who that kid might be, too.
The guy in the orange shirt, that is. Didn't realize it until after I started Void Quest, but certain aspects of his character design are a fairly big giveaway.

Have you played Persona 3? Orange-shirt kid reminds me of
Pharos/Ryoji.

Anyway, want to play through this bit before speculating further. I could be wrong, but my gut's telling me something else.

For a first, if you have a DS/3DS, try any Pokemon or Dragon Quest. Chrono Trigger is really good. I only played the DS version. Bravely Default is really good. I suggest trying the demo first so you can use to the battle system.

Unsung Story's been funded, just barely, with less than 24 hours left. I finally went in at the $3 level, plus $10 added on for the CD soundtrack. Since Sakimoto's doing the composing, I figure that even if the game ends up being not all that good, at least I'll get some great music out of it!

I finally finished chapter 2 in Bravely Default. I was too busy trying to grind to level 40. I was a little over leveled but that's OK.  I rather be over leveled than under. 

I may get Bravely Default at the mall today, the wife wants Fable Anniversary (she's nucking futs about Fable) as a valentine's day gift and my tax return just came in so why not.

Unsung Story's been funded, just barely, with less than 24 hours left. I finally went in at the $3 level, plus $10 added on for the CD soundtrack. Since Sakimoto's doing the composing, I figure that even if the game ends up being not all that good, at least I'll get some great music out of it!
Yea, I went in with $20 + CD + art book, way down from what I pledged day 1. At least I'll get a Sakimoto CD and Yoshida Akihiko artwork. I guess I could drop down to the $3 tier to get the add-ons.

I finally finished chapter 2 in Bravely Default. I was too busy trying to grind to level 40. I was a little over leveled but that's OK. I rather be over leveled than under.
I think that's way overleveled. I'm 57 towards the end of Chapter 4, and I feel overleveled. I was around 40 when I started chapter 4.
(Just beat the 6 dragons)

Are the Xenosaga games worth playing? I bought the whole trilogy a few years back for super cheap during a Gamestop sale (got them all complete too) and I notice that Xenosaga Episode 3 goes for a whole lot nowadays and I could make a good profit off of them, but if they are worth playing, I'll just keep them (I guess)

For anyone playing Lightning Returns, there's a community challenge going on-- Square Enix will unlock a garb if 100,000 screenshots are shared on social media in the first two weeks.

Are the Xenosaga games worth playing? I bought the whole trilogy a few years back for super cheap during a Gamestop sale (got them all complete too) and I notice that Xenosaga Episode 3 goes for a whole lot nowadays and I could make a good profit off of them, but if they are worth playing, I'll just keep them (I guess)
Xenogears.

I mean, wat?

Are you cool with overly long cutscenes? Like some that straight up take an hour?

I only ever made it about 20 hours into the first one and then lost one of my saves that set me back half that time, but I plan to get back to it one day.

Xenogears is indeed awesome.

As for Xenosaga, the first game literally has 8 hours of total cutscenes. Is that more or less than MGS4? Personally, I enjoyed them. Xenosaga 2 came with a pre-order bonus DVD of all the first game cutscenes, and it was only 4 hours.

The voice acting was good, Jr is voiced by James from the Outlaw Star anime. The 2nd (and 3rd) game they refined the character models and have less cutscenes. The 2nd game isn't that good, but the 3rd game makes up for it and is good.

They switched some of the voice actors in the second game and it's a total mindfuck going immediately between the two.

I think they bring back the OG's in the third game doe.

Some random shots I've taken in LR13

BgQECFdCYAATRW7.jpg

BgkcJxjCMAAo0pA.jpg

Bgo_5yTCIAAKLTk.jpg

BgpA6AsCIAEx6Zb.jpg

BgpCb1YCcAAEcHM.jpg

I really enjoyed Xenosaga when it came out. I didn't have a single moment of fun playing Xenosaga 2, and I never got around to trying 3 as a result.

But yeah, cutscenes galore. Never bugged me much, but I know it's not everyone's thing.

Haha I finally beat the goddamn Zeekeeper! After not playing Dream Team for nearly a month I decided to give it one last try yesterday and figured I get my ass kicked and just trade it in, but I was pretty much in the zone and destroyed him. Sweet.

To me, Xenosaga is a series where you gotta want to experience the story moreso than the gameplay. Not saying all the gameplay is bad, but when the story is going good, the game is fine and you can forgive much. But when the story slows down and slogs along (like pretty much 65% of the second game IMO), everything else seems to do the same. When things pick back up, especially in the third game, and the story starts moving along at a good pace, the game gets much better. It really is a roller-coaster ride of "Hey this game is great" then a little while later "Hey this game is crap" then stick with it a little longer and it'll be good again. Its as if your enjoyment of the game is predicated upon whether you are enjoying the story at the time. At least that's how it was with me. What makes it worse is that the slow, boring parts of the story are so looong because of all the cut scenes. It certainly is not a series for everyone.

I've just started on chapter 2 of Bravely Default. My guys are in their mid-20's, and I feel a little bit overleveled on Normal difficulty, but not so much to make the game too easy. Still no team wipe-outs yet. Anyone here playing through the game on Hard difficulty?

Congrats ^^

Speaking of Mario RPGs/RPG hybrids, because I can't play P4 most of my weekends (long story) and needed something new to play, I started up Paper Mario: Sticker Star. So far, both the boss battles and the companion/helper character are the worst in the series, but it's great otherwise. Right now, I'm in the forest.

As for P4, I finished Void Quest, but will reserve my thoughts until after the next story event. Some of the vibe I was getting was spot-on (in a very broad, general sense), some wasn't (I never expected it to be exact, but it was sufficiently different, in a good way), but I want to see where things go.

Okay, keep us updated cuz I want to ask you a question about something that the plot hasn't told you about yet but it's something that I thought was very obvious when I played.

Congrats ^^

Speaking of Mario RPGs/RPG hybrids, because I can't play P4 most of my weekends (long story) and needed something new to play, I started up Paper Mario: Sticker Star. So far, both the boss battles and the companion/helper character are the worst in the series, but it's great otherwise. Right now, I'm in the forest.

As for P4, I finished Void Quest, but will reserve my thoughts until after the next story event. Some of the vibe I was getting was spot-on (in a very broad, general sense), some wasn't (I never expected it to be exact, but it was sufficiently different, in a good way), but I want to see where things go.
Yeah I actually kind of hated sticker star by the time I finished it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back