RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
pe-anslogs-compass.jpg

pe-hall-warriors.jpg

pe-cliban-rilag.jpg

Thing is good.

Child of Lights looks good but I'm going to wait for either a decent sale or free. Did you guys get anything from the PSN sale? Tales of Symphonia is a must buy but I don't know what else I want. I'm on the fence on getting Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory and Time and Eternity. 

If you enjoyed the last Neptunia game then you'll enjoy Victory.It's the funniest game so far,but they sadly simplify combat system compared to the last game and they recycle a lot stuff from the last game also which is inexcusable.

If you enjoyed the last Neptunia game then you'll enjoy Victory.It's the funniest game so far,but they sadly simplify combat system compared to the last game and they recycle a lot stuff from the last game also which is inexcusable.
I haven't played any of the games in the series. I have watched a few videos here and there and was interested. I know Time and Eternity got some bad reviews but I was waiting on a cheap price to try it out.

So is it possible NOT to get a preemptive strike in Child of Light? So far all enemies are vulnerable to being blinded and then engaged. Funky mechanic there.

Glad I went with the Hard difficulty.

Keep hearing that that game is really easy overall. Why is there free healing in the battle environment? Just to give your sprite thing something else to do when it isn't ridiculously gimping your enemies for practically free?

The Lunar games were great, especially Silver Star Story, my favorite of the series.

Into the endgame of FF X now. I'm only gonna get a couple of the easier celestial weapons. I have no patience to dodge lightning bolts or play blitzball.

The Lunar games were great, especially Silver Star Story, my favorite of the series.

Into the endgame of FF X now. I'm only gonna get a couple of the easier celestial weapons. I have no patience to dodge lightning bolts or play blitzball.
Ugh, Blitzball. It's been around 10 years since I played, but I think I only got Auron's and Tidus's weapons. Not sure how I finished that stupid balloon race, TBH.

The first time I played thru FF X, I completely ignored blitzball except for what is forced upon you. This time I played a handful of blitzball games but I just can't get into it. Underwater soccer is still soccer, and soccer isn't a real sport anyway.

I have Yuna's and Rikku's celestial weapons finished. That stupid chocobo balloon race is terrible.

Oh, maybe I got Yuna's, too.  I forget.  I just know I didn't do the lightning dodging or the blitzball, or any others that seemed too painful.

I'm getting close to finishing up with Dark Souls 2 (or at least possibly taking a break before doing NG+), so I'll be jumping into Ni No Kuni next.  Really looking forward to that.

Keep hearing that that game is really easy overall. Why is there free healing in the battle environment? Just to give your sprite thing something else to do when it isn't ridiculously gimping your enemies for practically free?
The HP/MP replenishment is pretty abundant in the environment. It feels more like a convenience than a game breaker, though. It's just there to keep you off the menus and dishing out health tonics. There are plenty of those, too. And huge healing spells for in-battle emergencies, and a revive that brings you back from K.O. with 80% of hp returned. So yeah, pretty damn easy.

Still decent fun, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm gonna force myself to play Bravely Default tonite lol

I havent played since I last posted =P

needa make it to chapter 5 this month!!

I think I'm gonna force myself to play Bravely Default tonite lol

I havent played since I last posted =P

needa make it to chapter 5 this month!!
I might have to do the same thing. I just stopped playing after I got to chapter 6 or 7. All my characters are level 99 but I was trying to max out the jobs. At this point I'm ready to just burn through these last few chapters and move on.

In potentially more exciting news, Atlus is teasing something new!
I can't take credit for noticing this, but the first letter of each line:

Those tricky wordsmiths at

Atlus USA finished their work on

Conception II and sent Siliconera a little teaser.

How about we try to solve this one as a group?

I was given the clue "Origami Rhino Oh Yo"

But, I can’t think of any games

Atlus or even Atlus USA made about origami.

Now what could this be for…

any ideas?
= Tachibana. Not sure what that is, though.

Roughly 1/4 the way through Lunar Silver Star Story.Really enjoying it so far;it's nice to play an JRPG where buffing is actually useful.I also enjoy all the nice animated cutscenes and the story which is told well. Also being able to save anytime was pretty advance for an JRPG back then.

Hmmm....Seems that Atlus tease may be related to SMT Nocturne coming to PSN. Great news for some. I spent over 120 hours on Nocturne and cried when my BC-compatable PS3 died, taking my save with it.

Ahahhah

The source was some random guy on 2ch and everyone making fun of him on 2ch for saying that

Now everyone on 2ch is laughing at the guy who "broke the news" by using that thread on neogaf.

good ol' karma

Nabbed a 4th character (That little girl and her weird doll thing) in ToX. I guess she's just my healer and I should leaver her on auto?

Should I switch my links around? (I have Jude with Milia and Alvin with that little girl)

It's nice that all the battles are done in 30 seconds or less. (Usually 10 or less)

Nabbed a 4th character (That little girl and her weird doll thing) in ToX. I guess she's just my healer and I should leaver her on auto?

Should I switch my links around? (I have Jude with Milia and Alvin with that little girl)

It's nice that all the battles are done in 30 seconds or less. (Usually 10 or less)
She has some good damage spells too. And linking with different characters provides different effects. Linking with Leia will steal items, and linking with Rowen will provide magic def buffs I think. My favorite link was Alvin. If you're talking about Linked artes, then you can switch links really fast and do your favorite linked artes. I would set artes to right stick then do them in order, then switch link partner and continue the chain until time ran out. You can dish out some major damage that way.

I'm sort of doing that. During the last boss battle (big guy who controlled Wolves), felt like I was just button mashing though.

So I can only assign 4 artes to the right stick? Should I go for the ones that use low TP or keep adding new ones as I get them?

The rare times the Combo Chain flashes, I  can never remember what it is to press in order to keep the chain going. (I remember it's R2 for the linked artes, and I keep pressing that even though it's not my character's option)

Eh, the game is slightly fun. I don't like the store upgrade system though. Gold is of short supply as well.

Well I technically finished Lunar Silver Star Story;I died shortly after beating the boss which I just found hilarious that the game would actually have the nerve to give you a gameover at that point. I'll be sure to check out the sequel at somepoint.

I'm sort of doing that. During the last boss battle (big guy who controlled Wolves), felt like I was just button mashing though.

So I can only assign 4 artes to the right stick? Should I go for the ones that use low TP or keep adding new ones as I get them?

The rare times the Combo Chain flashes, I can never remember what it is to press in order to keep the chain going. (I remember it's R2 for the linked artes, and I keep pressing that even though it's not my character's option)

Eh, the game is slightly fun. I don't like the store upgrade system though. Gold is of short supply as well.
Been awhile since I played, but certain artes you learn may link with Alvin, but not Rowen, for example. You have to check in the menu which artes link with whom (green symbol?). And you can set more than 4 to the right stick, if you hold down L1 or R1, can't remember.

So I would have 4 skills that link with Alvin, then switch to Jude link and 4 new skills that link with him. Often I wouldn't be able to finish the combo because it just murders everything, but on bosses it's nice. And (if I'm remembering right) if you do link actions, it charges your link gauge faster.

Damn game doesn't come with a manual, otherwise I'd be looking at that for quick answers.

Beat Child of Light. It was alright. In retrospect, the item collection and gem crafting is nothing more than a glorified distraction. Doesn't play a huge role in your party's effectiveness at all. Half my party wasn't even equipped for the final fight.

Kinda makes me scratch my head over all the chests I was insistent on exploring and fighting for. Those RPG impulses.

Those RPG impulses.
I hear that. I used two potions in the entire game. I did make kind of a mini game out of seeing how many top-tier spindels I could make, but the Bump Back and Paralysis bonus were the only ones that really seemed worth it. Though I did eventually have Finn breaking 1k with his spells, I was never really sure if it was from my super Onyx, Rage of the Cappili, or both.

At any rate, I did find myself really digging the atmosphere throughout. Enjoyed it every night I sat down to play, and I personally can't speak highly enough of the soundtrack. Only bummer is that the official OST doesn't have most of the more exciting chorus versions of songs.

Also, I guess my "Devastate 5 Foes" trophy is bugged, so at least I don't need to worry about clearing those out.

I loved Child of Light as well. Great art style, serviceable story, fun world to explore, entertaining battle system, and I liked that it was easy.

If you grab it on PS4 from buying it through the demo, make sure to close the app totally and restart the full game--otherwise it won't save. I lost like 3 hours of progress my first play session due to that glitch.

Fantasy Life is probably my most wanted 3DS game that hasn't been localized and isn't Dragon Quest.
I think you'd like it, it's been quite pleasant so far and it's amazing that this game hasn't been localized yet. There's been nothing at all that suggests it would be arduous to localize either, it has a Western setting and no real Japanese culture in it at all.

There are a number of social features that I think would be really fun, but nope, definitely not possible with a JP version and no friends playing...

I'm interested in Child of Light, but I'm gonna wait on a sale. I've bought too many RPGs the last few months and I've only finished FFX HD and Tales of Symphonia. Still got the sequels of both those games, as well as South Park and Lightning Returns to get thru. Not to mention all the 3DS RPGs I still haven't finished. I've plenty of RPGs to keep me busy the whole summer.

Finally on the last chapter of Bravely Default. It's gotten kinda boring and I feel its lost a lot of its charm it had on me earlier, but its still a good game.

About 9 hours into Xilia now.  (which for me is 10+ nights of playing it).

And I check gamefaqs to see where I am, if I missed anything essential and to just get an idea of how far in the story I am.

I'm in chapter 1 of 5? 6?.

I'm not really sure I want to play the game this long. Playing this non stop for another 50 or 60 days is just going to  pile my backlog up even further.

Quick question folks:  At what point does The Witcher 2 become "one of the greatest RPGs of all time"???  Maybe it's just been overhyped to me at this point, but I find it fairly dull thus far.  Just finished the first chapter or whatever, and am now in an army camp and sill don't find much to be intrigued about.  It's not bad, but I'm fairly bored by already.

Quick question folks: At what point does The Witcher 2 become "one of the greatest RPGs of all time"??? Maybe it's just been overhyped to me at this point, but I find it fairly dull thus far. Just finished the first chapter or whatever, and am now in an army camp and sill don't find much to be intrigued about. It's not bad, but I'm fairly bored by already.
I got bored too. I didn't know any of the lore going in, and Witcher 2 didn't really go into the history. There's a decision in chapter 3 I just randomly picked, cause I didn't know what any of it really meant.

BTW, I'm about half way through Child of Light. It's a light RPG with light platforming (though not really)
cause you can fly pretty early in the game

Honestly, it feels like an introduction to RPGs. For most people in this thread, they probably won't get much from it.

If I got it for free instead of paying $15 for it, I'm not sure I would try to finish it.

Edit: Oh, and on PC, there are times it lags. I'm not sure how a game like this can even lag on my system, but I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back