RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i think of the term aging and "aging poorly" vs. "aging well", it really comes back to whether the game is still fun to play today, which would mean that the overall mechanics and look are still relevant.

take, for example, the original nes ff1. if i nitpick it, it's frustrating. the "ineffective" mechanic when you overkill, elements not working, the multitude of bugs like spells not working or the armor bug for black belts, UI issues like not being able to buy 99 potions at once, small inventory, the horrible translation... in that respect i would say that it's aged poorly.

but overall, i think it's aged well and i'd even say it's much better than most of its remakes (barring the wonderswan color/ps1 version). the new remakes rebalance the game to the point where it feels extremely easy and effortless, and there's not as big of a sense of accomplishment as there is with the original.

i actually prefer ff7's ost to ff8's. that's what i felt when i played theatrhythm though, so i didn't go through all the soundtracks.
also i really hate one winged angel. i think if there's one overrated song in the entire series it's that one.

I really wish there were more "current" RPGs to talk about, but whether due to the higher budgets needed for games, the increased development time, and/or the declining sales of the genre, there's just not nearly as many good RPGs this gen as the past two gens. Plus like blueshinra said, it's also a shift from JRPG to WRPG in the RPGs that DO come out.

I really have to wonder how much the need for voice acting has affected things, honestly. It's one thing to take a Japanese game and translate the script, it's another level of cost/time to entirely recast/re-record all the lines of dialogue. I wonder if that, plus the simpler (and thus cheaper) graphics are what has kept the JRPG genre relevant on portables vs consoles.

If that is the case, I for one would be perfectly happy with subtitles or no spoken dialogue at all.

I didn't mind what Record of Agarest War did. All they did was translate the dialogue and that was more than enough. It does suck though that Japanese developers don't see a reason to release a game to the states. I mean, we had to petition to have those three JRPGs on the Wii come over to the U.S and EU.

[quote name='blueshinra']I prefer Materia to Junctions. Materia is like a super-flexible version of the Job system. Junction is similar in that respect, but then you max everything out and don't want to use magic-- at all-- because of that. That kind of sucks

Quick quasi-tangent: not long ago I realized that in some ways, FFVII is one of the most wildly experimental games in the FF series. It has a bit of old-fashionedness (MIDI music) mixed with some new stuff (FMVs!), and sometimes the old and new get smashed together in interesting ways (3D "sprites"). This haphazard old-meets-new approach is probably the main reason why FFVII has aged poorly, but it's also what makes it unique.

In general, I prefer FFVII over FFVIII in just about all but one respect: the soundtrack. FFVIII's OST as a whole is better than FFVII's. It's also better than FFIX's and just about every soundtrack in the series since then.
[/quote]

I too loved the Materia system when it first came out. It was an improvement from FFVI's Esper system, with a lot more options. But trying to go back to the game now and re-leveling all those materia seems tedious. Mainly the Mimic and KotR ones, ugg. Not using magic in FFVIII so that you were always at max was unfortunate.

FFVII may seem wildly experimental because...it was. It was a jump from Nintendo to Sony (CD's).

I agree FFVIII's OST is better than 7/9 for sure.

It's more like console JRPGs versus console WRPGs. That WRPGs are on consoles and that they're good is an amazing thing-- it's like console FPSes ten years ago. Makes me wonder what the next traditionally PC-centric genre to hit it big on consoles will be.

I'd guess Diablo III and/or MMO's (if they drop the $15/month)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Worst? I don't think so. The only thing bad about Legendia is the battle system and even that's not that bad. The characters and music are the best in the series. The main plot is a bit weak, but that's fine since it's a game about the characters.[/QUOTE]

Worded that wrong. I meant to say the worse of the two, not worst.

i wouldn't say ff7 was wildly experimental... it was revolutionary.

first full 3d rpg, right?
materia?
non-fantasy setting?
multi-hit combos becoming the norm?
extra long summon animations?

it's clear they went all out for ff7 and i didn't even include the huge marketing push by sony.

it's funny though, i think ff7 has aged really poorly but i'd still play it over ff9 and everything after it. i think ff8 is unique enough and i actually like the story. i remember someone taught me about card modding here and after that the battle system didn't seem so bad.

as for modern jrpgs i feel like there are a lot of good doujin games but because most of them feature lots of scenes with things going into various orifices, despite how good the game mechanics are they obviously just aren't going to be picked up or become mainstream.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']FFVII may seem wildly experimental because...it was. It was a jump from Nintendo to Sony (CD's).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I knew about that :p I believe the shift to 3D graphics and away from sprites/tiles was a bigger change than the platform, from a technical/aesthetic standpoint, which was where my focus was (and kainzero's, though I'd argue Square had already started to shift in a non-fantasy direction with FFVI). The move to Sony platforms had a greater cultural effect, in part by creating all those insufferable FFVII fanboys we all know and :roll: today.

[quote name='kainzero']when i think of the term aging and "aging poorly" vs. "aging well", it really comes back to whether the game is still fun to play today, which would mean that the overall mechanics and look are still relevant.

take, for example, the original nes ff1. if i nitpick it, it's frustrating. the "ineffective" mechanic when you overkill, elements not working, the multitude of bugs like spells not working or the armor bug for black belts, UI issues like not being able to buy 99 potions at once, small inventory, the horrible translation... in that respect i would say that it's aged poorly.

but overall, i think it's aged well and i'd even say it's much better than most of its remakes (barring the wonderswan color/ps1 version). the new remakes rebalance the game to the point where it feels extremely easy and effortless, and there's not as big of a sense of accomplishment as there is with the original.

i actually prefer ff7's ost to ff8's. that's what i felt when i played theatrhythm though, so i didn't go through all the soundtracks.
also i really hate one winged angel. i think if there's one overrated song in the entire series it's that one.[/QUOTE]

I'll second this. I dig playing FF1 on emulators, more than I do any other game in the FF series.

Yo Indignate, how did you work with TLS's camera? I feel dumb and lost every battle but I win just fine by wacking whatever is in my way to death. Maybe I'll up the sensitivity.

And how about Normal vs Manual combat?

I don't remember. Probably just pushing the button that immediately puts it behind your character a lot.

I played it with auto attack. Manual just seemed superfluous to me.

I'm convinced I'm not playing the same game as other people. This has to be an early alpha version that somehow got mixed up in the first prints.

I'm about 8 hours in, but 2 hours? That was, let's see...the bandit warehouse? What was enjoyable about the bandit warehouse?

You sneak in (although really the game did that for you), peek in on the bandit boss who is carefully and loudly reminding his henchman of his maniacal plan, corner him only to be trapdoored (he sure fooled us!) down into some sewers, gasp at the evil monsters the bandits are planning to release into the city, aaaaaand beat a boss and leave only with the medicine for the sick little boy at the tavern. Only with the medicine.

Leave the hideout and the bandits intact, leave the rabid monsters in the jails beneath the city, everything is fine. The bandits learned their lesson.

There's a lot of aspects to this game that make me wonder if it was designed for a very, very young demographic. Or perhaps it just thinks its being charming, making me pan the camera to look at obvious details in each room I enter. Just wait until you get into the romance of two flawless people who are just the most innocent things on the planet, caught up in a war of corrupt politicians. Oh, my heart!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Buddy picked up TLS and we played it quite a bit so far. Roughly 8-10 hours in I'd say. It pretty much sucks. Glad I chose Xenoblade in our "you get one, I'll get the other" :D

I can't even tell you the characters names. I just refer to them by Xenoblade character names since they seem so effing generic.

If anyone can tell me it gets better soon
Basically just escaped from the bad guys island base and the princess (Melia to me) wants to join our party but the "leader" (Dunban to me) says no
I might keep playing, but otherwise I'll prolly tell him he can finish it on his own.

I didn't think the names were generic, just stupid. Shulk? WTF kind of name is that? And I just finished the bandit hideout and I'm having a good time with it.

[quote name='Erad30']I didn't think the names were generic, just stupid. Shulk? WTF kind of name is that? And I just finished the bandit hideout and I'm having a good time with it.[/QUOTE]

A Shulk is a group of foxes. Yeah, it's a dumb name for a lead character.

[quote name='Rodimus']A Shulk is a group of foxes. Yeah, it's a dumb name for a lead character.[/QUOTE]

2HUV

But still better than Sazh.

[quote name='blueshinra']JRPGs have a long history of WTF names, so they're just keeping the tradition alive![/QUOTE]

Along with having really bad outfits!

I'm excited for the announcement and I have yet to complete the game. I'm close though. I might just do that today.

That teaser has me hyped. I LOVE TWEWYs music.

inb4 Wii U and 3DS version announced.

Oh God, my eyes!

Speaking of, is Tactics A2 any good? I remember dicking around with my friend's copy a couple years ago and it seemed pretty lackluster, and I got bored hella quick with the OG Tactics Advance (though love actual FF: Tactics). The story in the advance games just seemed retarded.

The story for Tactics A2 completely blows. I stopped paying attention to it and just played the game since I like the combat. I finished the game and can't for the life of me remember what the story was about (because it wasn't memorable or good at all). I actually liked Tactics Advance and found the story to be all right.

[quote name='Rodimus']Reminds me of this eye bleeding outfit:

stereotypical-jrpg-character-design-12108-1319490000-6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You know what's worse? He appeared in FFTA, and and I thought he looked stupid. Then they make a new character for FFTA2 and make him look the exact same, but with a different name. To pile on more shit, they thought people liked him and put him in FFT:WotL.

Marche and Ritz were much cooler.

I also don't remember the story in FFTA2. FFTA is one of my favorites. I liked the jobs better, and the skill systems better. They need most of the overpowered skills in A2, which partially made skills worthless.

[quote name='Rodimus']A Shulk is a group of foxes. Yeah, it's a dumb name for a lead character.[/QUOTE]
I stand by "Monado" being the stupidest fucking name for anything ever.

That god damn sword was as mood-killing as everyone talking about "my taint" in Dragon Age Origins.

[quote name='Luxuria']Just completed Final Fantasy 8. I don't even....

The game is a lie.

Or is it?[/QUOTE]

Haha!
The amnesia lie?
They all are, mostly

FF7
Cloud was a failed clone, he took on Zack's life, what a punk

FF9
Main character and enemy are ALIENS from another planet

FF10
Sin is Tidus's father, and Tidus is just a dream that Auron pulled out

FF13
The fal'cie, pulse l'cie, and all that was a setup to kill a fal'cie in hopes to bring the creator god back to their world

FF13-2
Time travel mess, but it was all for not because Caius was pre-destined to die thus killing Etro's heart and Valhala spreading to all time/space

[quote name='The Crotch']I stand by "Monado" being the stupidest fucking name for anything ever.[/QUOTE]

Monado sounds like some kind of latin dance. "I show you the dance of my people, the Monado"

Re: TWEWY2 - just put it in my veins!

[quote name='The Crotch']I stand by "Monado" being the stupidest fucking name for anything ever.

That god damn sword was as mood-killing as everyone talking about "my taint" in Dragon Age Origins.[/QUOTE]
They didn't make it up. I think it's a bad romanization of Monad.

Yeah, Edge Maverick is pretty bad. Their though process must have been something like this: "Hey, let's think of two words that the kids think are pretty cool and roll with it."

Is this seriously your sig, kaz?
Are you a RPG or Action RPG fan? Are you a FF fan who hates FF13? Either way, you should try out the Action RPG Nier.

I'm almost nauseous.

--

I was recently jumped by ninja knights in TLS, and Zael doesn't know who could of possibly sent them -- even though there's a very powerful man in the castle who has already tried to kill him twice.

*cue dramatic Uematsu orchestra*
Zael: "Who do you work for!?"
Ninja: "Think I'll talk?"
*ninja smoke vanish*

I always thought FuSoYa from FFIV had a ridiculous name due to the caps (I think it might have been changed in some of the versions that came after the SNES one).

[quote name='blueshinra']I think I can top that: Fayt Leingod.

Guess Star Ocean has the worst names?[/QUOTE]

Or Cliff Fittir, but Cliff was a badass, so it's ok.

[quote name='icebeast']Abel was more badass than Cliff.
Plus look at that outfit. :bouncy:

Albel%20Nox.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Abel is cool, but c'mon, Cliff just punched things. Punching things is awesome. Plus, I have a cool figure of Cliff guarding my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back