Rumor: PS3 price drop to $199?

Demolition Man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
ps3pricedrop.png

Source:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...gId=10551&langId=-1&cmsId=STATICS_3D_showcase

Looks like someone at Sony jumped the gun on this a bit early. Either that or its a typo on the Sony Style page. Either way I suspect we'll hear more by next week.

that has to be a mistake but if it isnt i can see alot of people getting one especially if they have phats. on top of that 100 is a big drop pretty soon after the last drop and the only reason i could see them doing that is if they had another console type coming out.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's absolutely no way they would drop it to $200 when retailers can't keep it in stock at $300. Since it's sonystyle.com, it's probably some stupid offer where you get $100 back if you buy it with a sonystyle credit card (if they still do that)

[quote name='Scorch']there's absolutely no way they would drop it to $200 when retailers can't keep it in stock at $300. Since it's sonystyle.com, it's probably some stupid offer where you get $100 back if you buy it with a sonystyle credit card (if they still do that)[/QUOTE]

Was just going to say this. The PS3 is selling extremely well, and it is in no need of a price cut.

I have a $120 Sears gift card coming I earned from using my Sears credit card. I hope this is true as I would be able to get a 250gb slim for about $150 after taxes.

interesting, it says $199 on your link, but when you click the ps3 the cheapest one is $299. if they announce a drop next week i may have to upgrade to a slim. move the old ps2 to the bedroom for a blu ray player.

Except its not selling extremely well. Its out of stock because they arent being sent very much stock. Supposedly problems with some part(s) from their suppliers.

Everything is relative. You need to be able to outsell one of your competitors if you want to claim you're doing "extremely well", which they have not done in any month of 2010.

[quote name='xsouthparkx']God if the ps4 comes out it can't be that much of an upgrade from the ps3, can it?[/QUOTE]

what if the ps4 is really just an upgrade through downloads for the ps3?

[quote name='lokizz']what if the ps4 is really just an upgrade through downloads for the ps3?[/QUOTE]

And they send you a sticker with a 4 to put over the 3

They just recently added the PS3 Greatest Hits Bundle for 350 USD not even a day ago I doubt that they are ready for such a steep price cut. Though I am waiting for E3 before I make my PS3 purchase and it would be nice with such a price, I am counting this as an advertisement error on the website.

If this isn't the $100 for the sony credit card then, I assume this is just a error. Unless, they're considering a barebones PS3 w/o a HDD, removed wifi, cheaper controller?

The only way I see this real is if 360 gets a drop to $99, and to a much much lesser extent if 360 goes to $150. It would be a PS3 with a small HDD that's for sure. If this ends up real through some bizarre industry scenario PS4 is coming sooner than thought. Their PSN subscription plan(s) could offset the losses... especially if they bring PS2 BC for a fee.

[quote name='shigster']If this isn't the $100 for the sony credit card then, I assume this is just a error. Unless, they're considering a barebones PS3 w/o a HDD, removed wifi, cheaper controller?[/QUOTE]

sounds like a ps2.

[quote name='bjstucker']Considering the Move is getting announced a PS4 happening in the next 3yrs is not plausible[/QUOTE]

Im not sure, with how the economy is anymore...if the market can sustain a 600-700 dollar system rite now...that's why you see alot of these motion controls coming around...the game companies are hoping this is the next evolution in affordable "next gen" without needing more powerful and costly hardware.

I heard from a reliable "inside" source that they're dropping the price to $99.99.

That's right! Even though their production can't keep up with demand, they're still dropping the price! That's just how serious they are about being #1 this generation....

199.99 with the motion controller makes people feel like they're buying a upgraded Wii. I don't think that it's going to happen, but i'd be a good strategy to get the motion controller selling.

[quote name='Masterkyo']$199.99 for 120 Gigs $299.99 for 250 gigs.[/QUOTE]

Sony isn't Microsoft. They don't charge that much for HDD upgrades.

$99 for the Move (plus one DLC game?)...I'd buy that just to try it out. I could see a SOCOM 4 bundle for the holiday, pricing is tough though. Sony JUST started turning a profit so it'll be interesting to see where this $199 price is going.

[quote name='jh6269']So, what do you guys think? Is this the PS3 firmware 4.0 or the PS4?
Do you think if this rumor is true that it has anything to do with this?

http://www.destructoid.com/second-ps4-sony-viral-video-shows-logo-facepalm-175942.phtml [/QUOTE]

Those glasses the guy puts on before starting to play look awfully familiar to anyone who has tried on a pair of the 3-D glasses at any retailer that's has a 3-D tv up and running.

So maybe Sony will reveal at E3 that the videos were indeed from them, but only to hype up the rumored 3-D update that's supposed to be forthcoming.

Anyway, if the PS3 were to somehow drop to $200 AND Sony announced a PS4, I don't see any gamers who just paid between $300 and $600 for a console within the past four years cheering.

Looks like a pricing error. Click on the like to shop for a PS3 and the lowest priced one is 299. In any case a $50 price drop seems more logical than a full blown $100 off. At a $100 off sony would be loosing money again. Thats something they really don't want to do.

I'd consider a budget version of the Slim PS3 for $199.99 having the minimum/ or without:

20, 40, 60, or 80 GB harddrive. -going to get a larger drive / delete games when done
Wireless Dual Shock 3/ Six Axis controller or wired versions. -rumble/ cords not really a big deal to me
1ft Ethernet cable or none. - got wireless internet already / fairly cheap to find
Composite Cable. -have hdmi cable / component cable / from PS2
1 ft usb cable or none. -have one for psp/ don't plan on playing while charging devices
No Blu ray/ game demos. -download off of PSN
2 USB ports
AC power cord
Instruction manual
Anything else removed from current models like installing OS, memory card slots, etc.

It could be marketed as competition for the the Xbox 360 arcade. Probably going to get burned for this, but oh well just a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read from Afterdawn that there could be streamlined PS3 coming out and hence $100 cheaper... Like Xbox arcade kind of model. Of course, that's a steal for us, since upgrading a PS3 hdd is very cheap.

360 Slim happens same time as Natal launch:
- 40 nm CPU, 45 nm GPU
- lowest SKU at $99-150.
- Bundled with Natal at retailers for total cost of $200-300
- higher end SKU 250 gb HDD, Wifi built in, $250-$300 without Natal

Sony responds just before or just after:
- PS3 CECH-30XXA $199.99 low end model possibly even slimmer than slim
- Bundled at many retailers with Move Bundle for $299.98 total.
- losses offset by PSN Plans
32 nm CPU ready for Fall
32 nm GPU ready by next Spring
20-60 gb HDD
- PS3 CECH-30XXB $299.99 again possibly slimmer than slim without Move
- stays at 250 gb HDD, 320 gb possible but unlikely

Nintendo responds after both:
Wii becomes $150

Here's what's going to happen:

PS3 120gb clearance sale (so $249/$199 depending on location)
PS3 250gb drops to $299, becomes standard
PS3/360 HDD dick wars continues for another year

[quote name='J7.']360 Slim happens same time as Natal launch:
- 40 nm CPU, 45 nm GPU
- lowest SKU at $99-150.

32 nm CPU ready for Fall
20-60 gb HDD

Wii becomes $150[/QUOTE]

Only problem with a possible slimmer than slim model is that the system may go into total meltdown mode if the case becomes any smaller. I keep my slim on a wooden table out in the open and after about 30-40 minutes of playtime the top of the case is very, very warm to the touch everywhere except by where the BR drive is.

The old fat model 40gb model I used to have was set up in the same way(on top of the same table) and it used to get hot on the bottom of the case.

So any slimmer of a case and I have a feeling that after a particularly intense gaming session you may be trying to mop up the case as it becomes molten.:cry:

- 40 nm CPU, 45 nm GPU
- lowest SKU at $99-150.

32 nm CPU ready for Fall
20-60 gb HDD

Wii becomes $150[/QUOTE]

One thing though. People wanted a PS3, but couldn't afford it. The 360 was always affordable. The 360 is what the poor people got while secretly wanting a PS3. I believe this is called HOMIE ENVY.

Also keep in mind that Natal's rumored price is 150. You think they're going to sell it bundled with an arcade for 200? That's more Roffles then the waffles.

[quote name='Paco']One thing though. People wanted a PS3, but couldn't afford it. The 360 was always affordable. The 360 is what the poor people got while secretly wanting a PS3. I believe this is called HOMIE ENVY.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for explaining why the Wii still sells like hotcakes. While MS and Sony went the 'omg super ultra high def can't be beat' route this gen, Nintendo was actually smart and knew that people wouldn't wanna pay out the wazoo for a frickin' console.

Hopefully now that Sony(and MS) have seen this error this gen, they'll price their consoles next gen somewhere in the more reasonable range.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Thanks for explaining why the Wii still sells like hotcakes. While MS and Sony went the 'omg super ultra high def can't be beat' route this gen, Nintendo was actually smart and knew that people wouldn't wanna pay out the wazoo for a frickin' console.

Hopefully now that Sony(and MS) have seen this error this gen, they'll price their consoles next gen somewhere in the more reasonable range.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Nintendo was doubly smart. Not only did it price its system more reasonably, but it also sold it for a profit right from the start. Nintendo has never lost a dime on the Wii (except R&D). Meanwhile, Sony and MS have bled money.

That's the reason we're seeing this console cycle likely last longer, as both MS and Sony desperately need to recoup some of their lossses. I'm not sure what they'll do next gen, though taking longer this gen likely means they won't need to launch with bleeding edge tech next gen, thus reducing their costs. By the time they get around to launching, most anything will be more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

- 40 nm CPU, 45 nm GPU
- lowest SKU at $99-150.

32 nm CPU ready for Fall
20-60 gb HDD

Wii becomes $150[/QUOTE]
Those are some wild predictions, but at least one is correct.

[quote name='Paco']One thing though. People wanted a PS3, but couldn't afford it. The 360 was always affordable. The 360 is what the poor people got while secretly wanting a PS3. I believe this is called HOMIE ENVY.

Also keep in mind that Natal's rumored price is 150. You think they're going to sell it bundled with an arcade for 200? That's more Roffles then the waffles.[/QUOTE]
Please, please, please slit your own throat and leave a print-off of this post showing that I told you to do it.

I want that fucking blood on my hands.

[quote name='elwood731']Nintendo was doubly smart. Not only did it price its system more reasonably, but it also sold it for a profit right from the start. Nintendo has never lost a dime on the Wii (except R&D). Meanwhile, Sony and MS have bled money.

That's the reason we're seeing this console cycle likely last longer, as both MS and Sony desperately need to recoup some of their lossses. I'm not sure what they'll do next gen, though taking longer this gen likely means they won't need to launch with bleeding edge tech next gen, thus reducing their costs. By the time they get around to launching, most anything will be more powerful than the 360 and PS3.[/QUOTE]

These corporations are not like credit cards, them operating at a loss is not a permanent mark on their record, they just take it off their taxes that year and future years. Yeah, the Wii sold at a profit but it didn't do anything special. It's not HD, no blu-ray and thus the cost to build is low but Nintendo isn't returning to the size it used to be before it tried to screw over Sony.

There's the rub, you've got one console giant operating at a loss for several years but pushed out so much new hardware and set higher standards for media and gaming that offset the minor issue of selling PS3s at a loss, never mind that they just apply it towards their taxes. Sony may have lost money on the PS3 but they pushed out the whole Blu-ray market. If you don't have an HDTV and don't have a Blu-ray player, you literally are just holding onto the previous generation.

So PS3s sell at a loss, Blu-ray takes off like Usain Bolt, Sony still makes their money and there you are saying that they're recovering losses. I don't see why you think net losses relate to debt, because they don't.

[quote name='Mad39er']These corporations are not like credit cards, them operating at a loss is not a permanent mark on their record, they just take it off their taxes that year and future years. Yeah, the Wii sold at a profit but it didn't do anything special. It's not HD, no blu-ray and thus the cost to build is low but Nintendo isn't returning to the size it used to be before it tried to screw over Sony.

There's the rub, you've got one console giant operating at a loss for several years but pushed out so much new hardware and set higher standards for media and gaming that offset the minor issue of selling PS3s at a loss, never mind that they just apply it towards their taxes. Sony may have lost money on the PS3 but they pushed out the whole Blu-ray market. If you don't have an HDTV and don't have a Blu-ray player, you literally are just holding onto the previous generation.

So PS3s sell at a loss, Blu-ray takes off like Usain Bolt, Sony still makes their money and there you are saying that they're recovering losses. I don't see why you think net losses relate to debt, because they don't.[/QUOTE]
I have an HD PC monitor for my PS3 and I could care less about some silly(and expensive) Blu-Ray versions of movies, since I've seen exactly ZERO movies that have come out in recent years(going back about 3-5 years or so).

Any movies I've wanted to grab once they came out, I bought them on DVD since I could get them for $2-5 from the local shop. If a movie costs more than $5, then I don't need to see it till it's broadcast on free tv.

Games are supposed to be FUN. If people think the games on the Wii are fun without being HD, then that's why it sells. The latest and greatest tech isn't always the best, it's the tech you have the most fun with that gives you the biggest bang for your buck imo.

bread's done
Back