RUMOR: Sony to silently replace screen on 3000

Nephilim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
Heard this from someone I don't know that well but supposedly, Sony has been working on a different screen for the PSP 3000 with a different Pixel layout to combat the SCANLINE/INTERLACING ISSUE.

For those unaware, IGN blasted the screen in it's review of the 3000 model.

from IGN article:
Ultimately, however, the new finish, improved d-pad, and added microphone can't really make up for the PSP's underperforming screen. And make no mistake, this issue is hardly minor, the overwhelming response from consumers in the past few days has garnered a prompt response from Sony, who says that the problem is inherently tied to the expanded color performance and that they have no plans for alleviating it in the near future. Given our impressions of the "improved" color performance, it is not much of a trade off.

If you are in the market for a PSP, we recommend trying to find a PSP-2000 over buying the PSP-3000. The newest version definitely has some commendable traits, but ultimately it's the screen just doesn't satisfy.

It is also everywhere including the Playstation boards that people are unhappy with the appearance of the new screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isC1IOhQt_A

Yes, Sony says it is hardware but remember the silent GBA BACKLIT Screen deal?

backlit-game-boy-advance-sp-hands-on-20050928102243226.jpg

Anyhow, I have no links to back this up, just some chatter from a 'guy' who says he knows.

I hope they do fix it as this type of stuff annoys the hell out of me if I know it is there.

Yes, my FAT PSP has ghosting but this sounds much more annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I was thinking of buying a PSP again and getting the 3000, I guess I'll either get the Madden pack or hold off for now. I hope they do fix it, since the little changes they made to it isn't a good tradeoff for a bad screen.

I've heard other people say it's actually not bad. I personally wouldn't worry about it if I wanted one, but I already have a 2000 (which was already an upgrade from my 1000 :D )

People want to make a huge deal about it because they're emotionally invested in another company and want Sony to lose money. I don't understand it either.

I've owned each generation of the PSP and the 3000 looks the best most of the time. Are there times when you can see the interlacing? Yes. Is it more distracting than the ghosting on the old PSP screens? No, it is less distracting.

everyone who is whining about the screen has every right, they spent their hard earned money on something that should have the best a company is currently offering. the company is selling a product that is underperforming and the company is misleading the consumers with false advertisement and diminished hardware.

I wouldn't doubt for a second this happens, because they ruin a good portion of their gaming catalogue with the new screen (the Capcom 2d games, FF 1 & 2 ports, FF Tactics, Castlevania, etc.) and it just isn't acceptable, and Sony should replace all PSP3000 screens for free for those who have bought it already.

[quote name='KingBroly']I wouldn't doubt for a second this happens, because they ruin a good portion of their gaming catalogue with the new screen (the Capcom 2d games, FF 1 & 2 ports, FF Tactics, Castlevania, etc.) and it just isn't acceptable, and Sony should replace all PSP3000 screens for free for those who have bought it already.[/quote]
yeah but they wont.

bread's done
Back