Selling Apple Airport Express

Well we are only a few people away and you would actually have to receive the cards to do the raffle. So would you guys rather pay $16 for a piece of art I made digitally or for a piece of music from my mixtape?

[quote name='Taboner']If the buyer agrees to pay $16 for a trading card and with that trading card comes a chance to win a PSPGo, that's perfectly legal. (Just researched it.) The person who pays must be receiving something after all. I'll probably be doing that. I'll edit the OP.[/QUOTE]What is this "trading card" you're "selling"?

Also, the PSP has to have Sony FW on it for it to be sold/traded on CAG. You can't change that, and that's obviously stated in the stickied thread at the top of the forum.

Regardless, where's this "legal" proof that has you thinking it's legal?

From the aforementioned rafflefaq.com:
[quote name='From rafflefaq.com']A general answer is that raffles are considered gambling, and gaming laws vary by state. In states that do allow raffles, they are only allowed for charitable organizations, not for-profit companies or individuals.
In the United States online gambling (such as poker) is illegal and since raffles are gambling it would follow that online raffles would [...][/quote]

It does have the Sony FW on it. I can take pictures if needed. It is hackable though and can be done by the buyer if wanted. What's illegal about selling trading cards? I'm selling a trading card and with that card comes the chance to win a PSPgo. That's perfectly legal. The buyers are getting something for their money. As someone said earlier, people do this to sell college football tickets online.

[quote name='Taboner']It does have the Sony FW on it. I can take pictures if needed. It is hackable though and can be done by the buyer if wanted. What's illegal about selling trading cards? I'm selling a trading card and with that card comes the chance to win a PSPgo. That's perfectly legal. The buyers are getting something for their money. As someone said earlier, people do this to sell college football tickets online.[/QUOTE]Lotteries are outright disallowed on the site, regardless of the methodology used for them. It doesn't matter if that's how college football tickets are sold, that's not how we do things around here.

I suggest you close this down and refund all the money immediately, to avoid further issues, since I'm sure there's likely to be someone that will cry scam or foul after the fact.

There's nothing wrong with doing a lowball auction for the PSP Go, if you'd prefer, or just outright sales of it, just not this "lottery" you're trying to run.

I'll take it down so don't worry. I don't want to go against any authority, but not accepting the college football method I mentioned has nothing to do with this situation. The rules strictly say that the buyer must receive something. They will be receiving something and will have the chance to win a PSPgo. Once the sale goes through, the contest has nothing to do with the site at all as it becomes an external matter. Whatever though. I just don't like it when people don't let me follow the rules.

It's stated that anything that's a contest that requires monetary entry isn't allowed. That's the rule you're not following. Regardless if the person is "getting" something for their "entry", it's still taking money for it and not allowed on the site.

It's stated specifically that what you're doing, no matter how you're interpreting it, isn't allowed. Change the thread title and remove the "entries" in the OP.

Hey Taboner, maybe this will help show you that Skrike is following the rules.

As defined by your state laws,
a raffle shall mean and include those games of chance in which a participant pays money in return for a ticket or other receipt and in which a prize is awarded on the basis of a winning number or numbers, color or colors, or symbol or symbols designated on the ticket or receipt, determined by chance as a result of a drawing from among those tickets or receipts previously sold.
In this case, your trading card is "other receipt".

Also, raffles are not open to individuals in your state:
Raffles may be conducted by "authorized organizations" who have applied for and received a games of chance identification number from the NYS Racing and Wagering Board.

"Authorized organizations" are defined in part to include bona fide religious or charitable organizations, bona fide educational, fraternal or service organizations or bona fide organizations of veterans or volunteer firefighters that operate without profit to their members.
In order for an organization to be eligible for a games of chance identification number, the organization must be domiciled in a municipality that has passed a local games of chance law. It is unlawful to conduct a raffle in a municipality that has not passed a local games of chance law. Furthermore, individuals and commercial businesses are not eligible for games of chance identification numbers and are restricted by law from conducting any type of raffle.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to keep you a happy CAG knowing that "The Man" is not keeping you down. ;)
Well, maybe The Man in New York is. :rofl:

There's nothing designated on the receipt (forgot to read that part I guess? :p), which basically makes what I was doing legal (yes even in NY state). ;) I'm right. That's what matters to me at this point. I understand what you guys are trying to say though and I respect it. It's fine.

^ Actually, I did read it. They state the info must be on the receipt. Even were it agreed by the purchasers that nothing would be printed on the cards, the names or numbers you drop in a hat would then be considered their receipts.

Not trying to drive it into the ground though. I once tried something similar a few years back and had to go through this. Sadly, I think I am the reason that line Shrike first quoted you from the CAG rules was added. LOL

:) The man always has to put us down! (Didn't mean to come off as rude btw. I just spent too much time on this and it's frustrating.)

I don't agree with the whole trading card thing as its trying to exploit a loophole I guess however, for clarification what makes it different then when people have a lowball and then 'award' certain prizes to winning bidders other than what they paid for in a random raffle style? Isn't that a raffle also? People are buying something and then being entered into a raffle off the basis of that and not everyone is allowed to participate without actually buying something. So buying an item grants them a raffle entry but that's allowed and ok then?

blissskr - I don't know of any that have held a drawing for the free items. I have always seen them listed as benchmarks, i.e. highest bidder, most items, etc. which makes them gifts or bonuses as no drawing must take place.

Also, as far as I could tell, a drawing that reduces cost and includes no physical objects, i.e. free shipping, is acceptable.

bread's done
Back