SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
University discounts are like employee discounts and credit union discounts. They don't work with sero. But tries who knows u might get lucky!

[quote name='bone_matrix']So, just called Sprint up, the red Centro (the one I ordered) is backordered, as is the black one. Course they have no idea when they will get more in stock.

I could get a different phone, and then switch it out at a Sprint store or something because of the 30 day thing right? Also, why the hell is it on the website to order if they don't have any? Fraken BS.[/QUOTE]

I wish I would have seen this yesterday when I ordered the black one. I hope they get them back in stock soon as there's really no other phone I want/ can afford right now.

I got onto the SERO plan after working for Sprint/Nextel during the merger. I wasn't aware that "outsiders" could get the plan. But yeah, no way is there a better plan than this.

[quote name='adawg555']I wish I would have seen this yesterday when I ordered the black one. I hope they get them back in stock soon as there's really no other phone I want/ can afford right now.[/quote]

Hopefully since it is a popular phone, it won't take long to get back in stock. I wouldn't mind going with the LG Rumor, but I love the idea of the touch screen and internet.

And I can't really spend much more for a different phone either.

We will see what happens. I'm half tempted to see if they would give me an Instict for the same price and on the same plan. :D

[quote name='bone_matrix']Hopefully since it is a popular phone, it won't take long to get back in stock. I wouldn't mind going with the LG Rumor, but I love the idea of the touch screen and internet.

And I can't really spend much more for a different phone either.

We will see what happens. I'm half tempted to see if they would give me an Instict for the same price and on the same plan. :D[/QUOTE]

If you could get the Instinct on this plan I'd be more than willing to scrounge up the extra 30 bucks. :D

[quote name='adawg555']If you could get the Instinct on this plan I'd be more than willing to scrounge up the extra 30 bucks. :D[/QUOTE]

For the instinct you have to do the $99 plan. Sero doesn't work with that phone, which sucks.

prob already mentioned with all these posts but if not...

if you are planing on getting the impulse you need to sign up for the all in one 99 dollar plan

an alternative for families is the "talk message data share" plan. for $129.99 you get everything (on two pnones) except for 1500 anytime mins. Also you can apply a company discount to this one. Also its $20 dollars a month for each additional phone on the plan.

I know many will go for the $30 dollar plan but I just wanted to let the few of the rest of us know a good deal.

[quote name='Dro']Will I get charged extra for long distance calls/text messages?[/QUOTE]

It was mentioned in the very first post.

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get

* Unlimited Text Messaging
* Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
* Domestic long distance
* Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
* Unlimited Web/Data Access
* Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)

500 anytime minutes for $30 / month
1250 anytime minutes for $50 / month

I think that domestic long distance refers to the continental U.S. but I am not sure. Overseas is probably extra.

Hey bone_matrix, I just shipping confirmation and tracking number for my black Centro, so either they got them back in stock or someone told you the wrong info.

So when I go to Plan Details in my account page, this is what I get:
SERO F&F 500- $30.0
Plan Features:

* Sprint Fair & Flex
* Caller ID
* Adjustable Anytime Minutes
* Call Waiting
* Three-way Calling
* $30.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
* Voicemail
* Nationwide Long Distance Included
* Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included
* Nights: M-Th 7PM-7AM Wknd: F 7PM-M 7AM
* Unlimited Mobile to Mobile (pcs to Pcs)

I dont see Unlimited Data and etc listed. Is this what it should say?

Can I use a referral code for both when I purchase online, and when I receive the phone, and if so, can they be the same number?

[quote name='adawg555']Hey bone_matrix, I just shipping confirmation and tracking number for my black Centro, so either they got them back in stock or someone told you the wrong info.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I just called in to see if they still did, since my account says backordered still. They have the black one, but I would have to cancel my stuff now and do it again. F that, just more room for a mess up.

The lady I talked to "Emily Smith", didn't really seem to understand the problem, but said on her end, the Red Centro was instock, and not really backordered. I figure I'll give it another day or two and see if mine ships.

Although I am a bit upset since I ordered before you, and you have a shipping number. :p

Edit: UPS just dropped off an envelope with my mail in rebate. Great Sprint, thanks, still need the stupid phone though guys!

[quote name='adawg555']So when I go to Plan Details in my account page, this is what I get:
SERO F&F 500- $30.0
Plan Features:

* Sprint Fair & Flex
* Caller ID
* Adjustable Anytime Minutes
* Call Waiting
* Three-way Calling
* $30.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
* Voicemail
* Nationwide Long Distance Included
* Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included
* Nights: M-Th 7PM-7AM Wknd: F 7PM-M 7AM
* Unlimited Mobile to Mobile (pcs to Pcs)

I dont see Unlimited Data and etc listed. Is this what it should say?[/QUOTE]

You don't see it, cause it is implied in the PLAN NAME, I called them and they said so to me, so dont worry.!!!Enjoy your free data and web.!!!

Just for a follow-up:

Maria turned out to not be so great after all, because she never called me back. I waited around the house last night for a couple of hours around the time she said she would call, and nothing. I know, I probably should have gotten her number or a way to contact her, but I was so ready to get off the phone the night before I didn't think about it.

So after I gave up waiting on her & went to leave, I noticed there was a box outside my door. Guess what? It's the Q9c, that they told me was discontinued. But there's no phone number in it - if you check to see what the number is, it starts with 6 zeros - I have a feeling that's not a valid number. ;)

I didn't want to fight with them last night, so I didn't call them until this morning. The first guy I get on the phone tells me that since the order with the Q9c was canceled, that I'll have to send that phone back to them & take the Centro - they can't activate it. He then says something like "So is that ok?" and after a brief pause, I replied "No - that's not OK."

I then explained to him that the Q9c was the phone I wanted in the first place, I didn't *want* the Centro, and the only reason I ordered it was because they told me I couldn't get the Q9c - which was obviously a lie, since I was holding it in my hands (didn't actually say that last part, but...). So he transfers me to someone else, who transfered me to someone else, etc. Finally got this one lady that said that I will be able to use the phone, but not until my # transfers completes on July 1 (I don't think I ever got into that part of the story, but when I placed the original order I requested that my current phone # be transfered over. For some reason, they can't complete that until the first.) I told her that was fine, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't charged for the second phone & an additional line. So after another couple of transfers, I got someone to cancel the second order.

Or so they claimed.

So now it's just a wait-and-see situation. On the plus side, the Q9c is VERY cool (from what I can tell without actually being able to place a call/go online/etc.).

[quote name='adawg555']Hey bone_matrix, I just shipping confirmation and tracking number for my black Centro, so either they got them back in stock or someone told you the wrong info.[/quote]

When did you order and what color did you get?

I just called again today, and of course both are "backordered", and the red Centro might be back in stock next Thursday.

WTF?

[quote name='bone_matrix']When did you order and what color did you get?

I just called again today, and of course both are "backordered", and the red Centro might be back in stock next Thursday.

WTF?[/QUOTE]

It says that I ordered the black one in the other post. I ordered it Wednesday and I actually got it the same day they shipped it, yesterday. They shipped it to me at 12:30 am Thursday morning and I got it at 4 in the afternoon.

I know I saw someone post about it earlier in the thread, can"t find the post though, but is it normal for this month's bill to jump to $130?

I signed up for this plan a couple of days ago using the email in the first post, and I got an email saying that I need to call them to finish my order. I called and the lady said that it was weird I had to call because my order was already processed and that there was no limit to my account, and that they didn't need a deposit. Then I check my credit card statement, and there is an extra $215.49 charge.

So I went into a chatroom with them today, and the lady said it was because they initially took a deposit (without notifying me), but they later cancelled it and had the money credited to my account. Then I asked about the coupon, and after a while she finally accepted it, and even made it $70 instead of $50. So everything is looking good so far, after an initial hassle.

I'm sure this has already been asked, but...

Is it possible to buy a phone from somewhere other then Sprint, after you've purchased Sero, and get the new phone on Sero? I chose a pretty cheap phone for now because I don't really have the money for anything else, but down the road I might wind up wanting a Centro(I'm starting to like the look a little more), and I just want to know if it'll be possible.

Furthermore, would it be possible to get an iPhone on Sero?

No, definetly no Iphone on sprint.

As for other phones, you would need to buy a Sprint phone. You can check Ebay and just hope its a clean phone. Are you out of your 30 day window? If not you can switch phones still.

Dammit. It turns out that helio's merger with Virgin won't let me out of my contract. I guess that I'll cancel before this billing cycle is over. If I get a replacement phone then cancel will I be able to sell the phone they send me? That is , if I don't input my information in it can I just sell it?I was hoping that would cover my ETF.

are most of you people using that "total equipment protection" thing? What kind of coverage does that $7/month get you? You still have to pay $50 on top of that to repair a damaged phone or something like that?

it covers everything.. my dog ate my phone... literally and they replaced it. of course I had to pay $50 but within 2 days I had a new phone and then used the prepaid mailing envelope they shipped me along with my new phone to send the busted phone back. You can do it 3 times a year i believe, then they drop your ass.

[quote name='homeland']it covers everything.. my dog ate my phone... literally and they replaced it. of course I had to pay $50 but within 2 days I had a new phone and then used the prepaid mailing envelope they shipped me along with my new phone to send the busted phone back. You can do it 3 times a year i believe, then they drop your ass.[/QUOTE]If you don't sign up for the coverage, and your phone breaks, and you buy a new one on your own, can you still use the SERO plan on the new phone? I'm just trying to figure out if $7 a month is worth it if I would have to pay an extra $50 to actually take advantage of the coverage.

How long does it take to receive the phone? I need to cancel from Helio on the 4th. I can't be without a phone for too long.

[quote name='Gamehead']How long does it take to receive the phone? I need to cancel from Helio on the 4th. I can't be without a phone for too long.[/QUOTE]

depends. instinct 2 weeks or more. most other cheaper phones or older ones 4-6 days

[quote name='Gamehead']How long does it take to receive the phone? I need to cancel from Helio on the 4th. I can't be without a phone for too long.[/quote]

I think all the phones ship overnight for free. I received my MIR and my Centro one day after they shipped.

Got my Centro today! Anyone know of a cheap place to pick up a case and car charger for it? Also just to make sure.. since I have unlimited data I can access everything right? (including Sprint TV and Google Maps)??

How are you guys liking the Centro? I think I'm going to get one, possibly upgrading to the new one in a few weeks (I have 30 days to change, right?).

[quote name='orko60']How are you guys liking the Centro? I think I'm going to get one, possibly upgrading to the new one in a few weeks (I have 30 days to change, right?).[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of getting the m520 until the new palm gets released.

[quote name='Staind204']Got my Centro today! Anyone know of a cheap place to pick up a case and car charger for it? Also just to make sure.. since I have unlimited data I can access everything right? (including Sprint TV and Google Maps)??[/quote]

Well, I don't think the sprint tv works, because it asks me for a charge before being able to view channels, but I haven't gotten too deep in it. Pretty much everything else is free, unless noted before you use an app or download something.

For all those on the edge about the Centro: Do it. You make use of the unlimited features. Connecting and getting e-mail, having the web, etc. is all very kick ass.

The only downside is the keyboard is a bit cramped, which everyone says, but I'm getting used to it, and its cheaper than the other ones you can buy.

If it wasn't for some trouble getting my number ported and on my phone, I'd say this was a very very good switch.

Thanks everyone!!!

[quote name='bone_matrix']Well, I don't think the sprint tv works, because it asks me for a charge before being able to view channels, but I haven't gotten too deep in it. Pretty much everything else is free, unless noted before you use an app or download something.

For all those on the edge about the Centro: Do it. You make use of the unlimited features. Connecting and getting e-mail, having the web, etc. is all very kick ass.

The only downside is the keyboard is a bit cramped, which everyone says, but I'm getting used to it, and its cheaper than the other ones you can buy.

If it wasn't for some trouble getting my number ported and on my phone, I'd say this was a very very good switch.

Thanks everyone!!![/QUOTE]

Sprint TV works fine on my Centro. Theres about 15 free channels. The Centro is well worth it. I've been using the web, AIM, and email all the time since I've gotten it. And don;t forget the emulators! Playing Captain America and the Avengers is awesome on this thing.

So far I would recommend the phone! I haven't tried the emulators yet though (waiting on Buy.com to send my 2 GB card). The reception isn't as good as AT&T but other than that, no complaints. How often are you guys having to charge this thing? (the centro)

That video just made me want to switch the phone i just bought with a centro. The only think i didn't like about the centro was the palm OS.

I get a University discount too from school, is this an either/or thing? I could get an even bigger discount if I'm allowed to use my University discount. I really need a phone, so this looks really sweet.

Talked to someone in India about switching my number. Wasn't a complete nightmare, like others have had. Hard to understand, though.

Question for those of you who've gone through the rebate process!

I'm planning on ordering a Centro in the next day or two. I am currently living in Japan, but will be back in America by the end of the month (the 29th, to be exact). To get in on the rebate offer, I know the phone needs to be activated and the rebate postmarked by the 26th. Do you think that the activation and rebate are something that could be handled by a mostly-technologically-illeterate-but-good-at-following-directions mother? Are instructions provided, and how much of a hassle is it?

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Question for those of you who've gone through the rebate process!

I'm planning on ordering a Centro in the next day or two. I am currently living in Japan, but will be back in America by the end of the month (the 29th, to be exact). To get in on the rebate offer, I know the phone needs to be activated and the rebate postmarked by the 26th. Do you think that the activation and rebate are something that could be handled by a mostly-technologically-illeterate-but-good-at-following-directions mother? Are instructions provided, and how much of a hassle is it?[/QUOTE]

Activation is VERY easy. You turn on the phone and when you try to make a call it is automatically routed to sprint. They will ask for basic info (your name, address, pin #) and then your good to go.

Just a heads up. Looks like this deal is coming to a close come July 10th. If you want to get on it you'd better sign up soon to get Grandfathered in!!!!

Guess I'm lucky to have just gotten in. I'll shoot you my number for a referral as soon as I get my phone.

Can we all do referrals with each other? Or does that not work....?

I have a question before i sign up.
I am currently with verizon so how long would it take to cancel my subscription and have that number ported to my sprint phone?

[quote name='Access_Denied']What you do, is order as normal, porting your phone number. Your old phone number won't stop working until you get your new phone and activate it. That way you can use your old phone until your new one is delivered. Then, when the new one is activated, call your old company, and cancel the phone.[/quote]

I just found this post. So I should just go ahead and order the phone and sero plan and call in to cancel my Verizon account when i get the new sprint phone?

I would call verizon tell them that you plan on porting your number and canceling your contract. Just specify that when the number is ported that is when you are canceling the contract.

Also those looking at the Iphone imitator, the developer has created a newer version TouchLauncher, here's the link http://ahsirg.kvplab.com/dp/?q=node/2 looks like it costs $7

bread's done
Back