Shin Megami Tensei IV $20 New, $18.99 Used - GameStop

WTF, Amazon can't keep this in stock long enough for me to put it in my cart.  ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the GS I called could tell me if they had the CE because "the computer didn't say so"... lol
Ask them to check if its the CE. I called two of my local stores and they checked their system and they said they had one new copy and put me on hold for a few seconds to physically check. Then they asked me "We have only one new copy. I hope you don't mind it's gutted. But we actually have the CE. It still comes with the artbook and soundtrack." I didn't mind it being open. Just the fact I can get the CE is worth it.

Yup! One of my local GS's had the CE even though it was gutted. I couldn't refuse that. Got it for $10 after $5 off and $5 gift card. Great deal!

EDIT:

How is this new when my Club Nintendo code was used? I am e-mailing corporate now and making a case for fraud. This is absolutely unacceptable and I will get them to figure out which asshole employee used my code and sue them or get them fired. 

Yup! One of my local GS's had the CE even though it was gutted. I couldn't refuse that. Got it for $10 after $5 off and $5 gift card. Great deal!

EDIT:

How is this new when my Club Nintendo code was used? I am e-mailing corporate now and making a case for fraud. This is absolutely unacceptable and I will get them to figure out which asshole employee used my code and sue them or get them fired.
If the game was gutted, they'll say it was to put the case on display, and a customer took a pic of the inside of the case with the PIN, or something. They'll never take responsibility.

EDIT:

Lol, I hope you're being sarcastic about the end there. Getting sued or fired over a club nintendo code.

It could've been an employee, but I'd wager it was another customer. If it was their last New copy, they had to open it and put it on the wall as a display case, and most GS don't remove the club nintendo codes.

Nintendo ran a promo this past year where you register SMT and Fire Emblem and you get $40 on eshop credit; a lot of gamestops were hit up and codes were taken out of boxes and shit.

Lol, I hope you're being sarcastic about the end there. Getting sued or fired over a club nintendo code.

It could've been an employee, but I'd wager it was another customer. If it was their last New copy, they had to open it and put it on the wall as a display case, and most GS don't remove the club nintendo codes.

Nintendo ran a promo this past year where you register SMT and Fire Emblem and you get $40 on eshop credit; a lot of gamestops were hit up and codes were taken out of boxes and shit.
If this doesn't get resolved I will hit up 10 local GameStops and do what you just said people do. I will secretly take pics of every single game's code from 10 different GameStops. People expecting Club Nintendo codes aren't going to want to shop at my city's Gamestops

If this doesn't get resolved I will hit up 10 local GameStops and do what you just said people do. I will secretly take pics of every single game's code from 10 different GameStops. People expecting Club Nintendo codes aren't going to want to shop at my city's Gamestops
It happens everywhere, people on this site have admitted to it especially when they do promos like this. I wouldn't buy a copy of Mario Kart 8 new if it was open either since they're running that free WiiU game promo right now.

No one will stop you unless they catch you taking pics or stealing codes. It's still a shitty thing to do; all the gamestop in my region put the CN codes away because the district manager got wise to this shit ages ago

EDIT:

That sucks. What's odd is I bought a pre owned copy just to try it out so I can decide if I want to buy the game new with the CE and my pre owned copy had the club nintendo code still in it. I thought the previous owner used it but I tried it anyways and I ended up getting the points.

Chief Keef never seemed like the snitching type.

lol @ 5% off for used.  fucking Gamestop.

Great series and good game though, jump on that, people.  It was kinda a letdown after III but still a good game.

lol @ 5% off for used. fucking Gamestop.

Great series and good game though, jump on that, people. It was kinda a letdown after III but still a good game.
Use a 20% off B-day coupon, your 10% Power up Card discount and if you have trade credit ,like I did, to nullify tax, it comes out to

$13.67.

Thanks OP (and whoever first tried the CE) - just grabbed a factory-sealed CE from my nearest GS.  I had this game at release and couldn't get over the slow start at the time so I sold it - but for $20 for the CE, I'm good with picking it back up.  :)

Got a "new" CE today but it sure as hell wasn't factory sealed. More like, smushed-ass box in a gamestop drawer for over a year condition. But whatever, at least now I can stop trying to chase down a good deal on this game.

Also grabbed my brother a non-LE used copy for $14 with the b-day coupon.

I've got 5 hours in and I'm pretty addicted to it but I can see why every one hate the beginning so much,it was brutally hard.

Grabbed a new, sealed SMT IV Limited Edition for $20 at one of the local GameStops today. Thanks for the heads up, OP! First good GameStop deal I've gotten in on in months.

Thanks OP I jumped on this. Sadly there were no limited editions available but I did pick up the regular edition. I've only ever played Persona 4 Golden and Overclocked so I'm interested to see what the main franchise is like.

Thanks OP!  I snagged one of the Limited Edition's up from my local Gamestop here in Pontiac, Michigan.  Like most new games at Gamestop that last copy they had was opened, but I didn't mind because of the great deal.  But, the employee just had to ruin it by attempting to put one of those clear circle stickers directly on the cardboard box.  I asked him nicely not to as I noticed him doing this, but he told me he couldn't sell it to me unless he put it on there.  WTF, seriously!?!  PIssed, I calmly said,"Well, then I just won't buy it then."  He then said he would just lightly apply it on the plastic.  So, whatever, I let him do that.  He said that once the sale went through I could take it off then never return it.  

This has got to stop in all seriousness!  My experience at Gamestop is almost always horrible, so I'm always on the defense when I checkout.  I could smartly just stop going there but deals like these bring me back cause I'm dumb like that lol!  I don't think there is a worse store in all of America to be down right honest.  Hell, if Best Buy can come up with ways to display their games (the new foam like display cases) without opening them, then the biggest video game retailer in the world should've had an idea by now.  So many of us who buy games have expressed our concerns and they just ignore us.  Oh well, sorry to derail with post with this garbage but I had to vent.  Thanks to those who took the time to read this!    

Thanks OP! I snagged one of the Limited Edition's up from my local Gamestop here in Pontiac, Michigan. Like most new games at Gamestop that last copy they had was opened, but I didn't mind because of the great deal. But, the employee just had to ruin it by attempting to put one of those clear circle stickers directly on the cardboard box. I asked him nicely not to as I noticed him doing this, but he told me he couldn't sell it to me unless he put it on there. WTF, seriously!?! PIssed, I calmly said,"Well, then I just won't buy it then." He then said he would just lightly apply it on the plastic. So, whatever, I let him do that. He said that once the sale went through I could take it off then never return it.

This has got to stop in all seriousness! My experience at Gamestop is almost always horrible, so I'm always on the defense when I checkout. I could smartly just stop going there but deals like these bring me back cause I'm dumb like that lol! I don't think there is a worse store in all of America to be down right honest. Hell, if Best Buy can come up with ways to display their games (the new foam like display cases) without opening them, then the biggest video game retailer in the world should've had an idea by now. So many of us who buy games have expressed our concerns and they just ignore us. Oh well, sorry to derail with post with this garbage but I had to vent. Thanks to those who took the time to read this!
You got a nice Limited Edition of a good game on the cheap, but then complain over a very small thing that doesn't even happen at every store. The employee was misinformed about the sticker shit, but they DO have to do that for opened "new" games. Just don't go to that store from now on. Gamestop is far from the worst company in America, especially if you consistently take advantage of the deals they run.

Picked up a brand new sealed Limited/Collector's Edition version for $20 earlier today at one of my local Gamestop's! :D. She was sort of surprised that this version was only $20 but then looked up the price online and told me how nice of a deal that was. Cashed me out and I was on my way! LOL. Thanks for the thread OP! :)

You got a nice Limited Edition of a good game on the cheap, but then complain over a very small thing that doesn't even happen at every store. The employee was misinformed about the sticker shit, but they DO have to do that for opened "new" games. Just don't go to that store from now on. Gamestop is far from the worst company in America, especially if you consistently take advantage of the deals they run.
I agree, it is a small thing. I was just upset last night after I got home. I do understand they are just doing their job, but I have two Gamestop stores that are right across the street from each other and neither of them are my preferred GS store. I used to work at EB Games as an assistant manager so I'm familiar with how things work, and I disagreed with my district manager all the time which admittedly got me nowhere (I'm 40 years old now and I was 25 at that time). I remember all the shady/greedy stuff we were forced to do so I apologize if I come off as a bit unappreciative of my deal. I take back my comment about them being the worst company in America, but the people at the top should look at how they force their employees to interact with customers.

I'm very happy I found the Limited Edition for such a good price so thank you CAG and Gamestop. I've played through the first hour or so of the game and it's really great, much better than I thought it was going to be. I can't wait to see that these guys do with Persona on the PS3, it's going to be sick!

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but when you buy a new game from the website, does it usually come shrink wrapped? Or is it just as (un)likely as it is in-store?

Bought a pre owned copy from one of my local stores and I didn't think they had the LE. The employee asked if I wanted the new copy for $20. He brought out the LE opened so I told him I would've bought it if it was sealed. He was cool about it and just gave me the LE with my pre owned copy. Looked at the game cartridge and saw there was gunk on the exposed part in the back. Took it to another local store to switch it out. Employee looked through the drawer and supposedly the pre owned copy came with the LE. It was opened as well so I wasn't going to decline that offer. So basically walked out with a pre owned copy and two of the LE art book/strategy guide and soundtacks.

Gamestop is far from the worst company in America, especially if you consistently take advantage of the deals they run.
I always hate the "worst company in America" hyperbole that spoiled, perspective-lacking gamers love to throw around, but he did say they were the worst store. I'm having a hard time thinking of a store with worse policies than Gamestop. :whistle2:k I tried, but I got nothin.

funny-pictures-auto-games-Oblivion-370865.jpeg

This along with the isles and isles of unsealed "new" games.  Which by the way I know for a FACT that my traded in copy of Ryse was rebadged as "new" a few days later. I put a small dot with a marker on the bottom right of the case to see if my speculation was correct before trading it in, that's some major bullshit right there!  So apparently if you trade in your games in mint condition with the inserts they will in fact resell it as "new".

I watched them grab a disc from the drawer and put it into the empty "new" case of Sin and Punishment for wii and then put a small white sticker to hold the case shut.  That's their version of a sealed game.... good luck trying to resell it as such.

My displayed SMT IV the case look very crappy worst compare to USE copy. Glad they put sealed sticker on the game case.  I'll return it tomorrow & order Sealed instore from GS online to get FREE SHIPPING.   FYI.  Every game you order from local GS store shipped to home is FREE SHIPPING.

Snagged a used copy and the case was in horrible condition. Probably going to return it and just order the new one. 

What the hell do people do with their games!?  I have all of my genesis, super nintendo and nes games from being a kid and they are all still in perfect condition.  There's less of an excuse now for not having complete games, take game out, place game in device, play, finish, return to box with manual, set on shelf.

No luck in my area; used copies are cart only, and new copies are regular version. I'm just gonna order a new copy online and with any luck it'll be shrinkwrapped.

Which by the way I know for a FACT that my traded in copy of Ryse was rebadged as "new" a few days later. I put a small dot with a marker on the bottom right of the case to see if my speculation was correct before trading it in, that's some major bullshit right there! So apparently if you trade in your games in mint condition with the inserts they will in fact resell it as "new".
I wouldn't put it past them, but it doesn't make much sense; they make more money off used games, hence Xenogate.

No luck in my area; used copies are cart only, and new copies are regular version. I'm just gonna order a new copy online and with any luck it'll be shrinkwrapped.

I wouldn't put it past them, but it doesn't make much sense; they make more money off used games, hence Xenoblade.
Fixed that for ya :p

I got mine today from GameStop.  I called in to check if it was the CE and was told it was.  When in to pick it up and they say they don't even have the game on hold for me.  I showed them the email I got from GS confirming it was ready.  They search and find a gutted copy of the game...non-CE form.  I ask where the CE is and they don't know anymore.  Then, I ask if I get the discount for a gutted game and they tell me GS doesn't do that any more.  Then...They put that stupid sticker on it against my protests.  I never have good experiences at GS.  My plan is to call other locations and have them confirm they have the CE version, then I'll exchange it.

Awesome; now I won't have to find something on Gamestop to bump me up to Saver shipping. I was just about to get Ivy the Kiwi (Wii), but somebody snaked it from me.

No new SMT IV LEs and standards. Since I got a buy 2 get 1 coupon, I got a used copy with WWE 14 and Dragon's Crown Vita. 

bread's done
Back