Shin Megami Tensei IV - Samurai & Demons - Out now!

can anyone remember the game where each store got its own DLC skin like and people paid 20 to 30 just for the skin download i think it was some sort of ds.3ds or vita game...

[quote name='argyle']That "GS" is a LOT more subtle than the Amazon logo plastered all over the other one. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh man! I misread that post and thought Amazon was getting the red track jacket. I thought the Amazon trenchcoat was a damn photoshop! Damn.... just damn... ok Gamestop isnt looking too bad now...

The Amazon coat is now up on the US Amazon page. I guess Atlus will be holding a demo event in Japan this weekend, and they've been tweeting out some gameplay tidbits. For one, SMTIV will allow you to fuse demons during battle. Useful for those times when you come across a recruitable demon while you have a full COMP, or when you need to bring in a stronger demon with full MP.

[quote name='slidecage']can anyone remember the game where each store got its own DLC skin like and people paid 20 to 30 just for the skin download i think it was some sort of ds.3ds or vita game...[/QUOTE]

just remembered it was the MK game on the vita

This is # 4 of the MAIN SMT line, the last one,3, is SMT Nocturne on PS2. Persona is a spin off. In the US it is tagged as SMT: Persona. In JP they do not wear the SMT tag.

[quote name='Cao Cao'] For one, SMTIV will allow you to fuse demons during battle. Useful for those times when you come across a recruitable demon while you have a full COMP, or when you need to bring in a stronger demon with full MP.[/QUOTE]

That is bizarre.

I thought there was a limited edition 3ds with this game. I have seen the pictures but have not found a place to pre-order it at a reasonable price in japan that ships to america.

[quote name='2DMention']I'm confused. This is a sequel to what game specifically?

Aren't the personas SMT games?[/QUOTE]

The MegaTen series is comprised of an absurd amount of subseries each with their own themes and gameplay styles. The "main" SMT series is basically a reimagining of the original Digital Devil Story games, which were based on a Japanese novel. They're hardcore dungeon crawlers with post-apocalyptic and (anti-)religious themes set in modern-day/futuristic Tokyo. SMT2 was a direct sequel to SMT1, but SMT3 was its own thing. SMT4 looks to be mostly its own thing as well and is kind of a departure for the main series as it's set in some sort of hybrid between medieval Europe and modern-day Japan with access to futuristic technology like the powerglove (not actually called that) from SMT1 & 2. I'm actually curious to see if they end of tying these games together in any meaningful way.

Here's a list of all the series in order of release:

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Last Bible (a.k.a. Revelations: The Demon Slayer)
Majin Tensei
Devil Summoner
Persona
Devil Children (a.k.a. DemiKids)
Digital Devil Saga
Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha
Devil Survivor

As wasabi mentioned, Atlus uses the SMT name to tie them all together in the West for marketing reasons, but they're not supposed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, my SMT IV 3DS LL arrived. can finally start to buy/play JP 3DS games.
It looks better than I expected.

IMAG0373.jpg

SMTIV_LE2.jpg

SMTIV_LE1.jpg

Ten days til release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFMGHbo0ItY

Atlus put up an unboxing video.

- 176-page Artbook/Strategy Guide

- 8-track Shin Megami Tensei Music Collection CD

- No physical manual; the manual is digital.

- Club Nintendo card

There's talk of a $30 eShop credit if you buy this and Fire Emblem's digital versions

eshop_offer-300x183.jpg

Ten days til release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFMGHbo0ItY

Atlus put up an unboxing video.

- 176-page Artbook/Strategy Guide

- 8-track Shin Megami Tensei Music Collection CD

- No physical manual; the manual is digital.

- Club Nintendo card
Damn...I'm beginning to think I need to own a 3DS. I think this is going to make me buy one. Never played an SMT game before but it looks interesting and I'm definitely interested in Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing....need a deal!

There's talk of a $30 eShop credit if you buy this and Fire Emblem's digital versions
Well, all that's known so far is what's on the leaked banner.

fsJmgbBl.jpg

- You can get a $30 eShop credit for doing something (see game page for details)

- Club Nintendo is involved

- Involves Fire Emblem Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV

- The banner was not meant to go up today, since it was quickly taken down afterwards.

It's quite possible that this deal may not be limited to digital copies. In both the Unboxing video and on their forums, Atlus' PR Reps have been strongly recommending that people register their SMTIV Club Nintendo codes for reasons that they "are not allowed say yet."

The $30 eShop credit deal has been officially confirmed. Buy Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV, and register them with Club Nintendo by August 31st to get a code for the $30 credit. Applies to physical and digital purchases, and seems to be retroactive.

http://club2.nintendo.com/30/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_gqpzT5OQ

too bad I will be keeping all my other copies of SMT IV/FE:A sealed or I would have qualify for a lot of credit.  cool with $30.   Nintendo is really pushing the SMT x FE which I love.

Very tempting. $90 for 2 games, then get back $30 for the eshop. I am tempted to get Shin Megami anyway, but I haven't seen much on Fire Emblem I guess I need to go look at some videos.

Very tempting. $90 for 2 games, then get back $30 for the eshop. I am tempted to get Shin Megami anyway, but I haven't seen much on Fire Emblem I guess I need to go look at some videos.
Do you like turn based strategy grid rpg's like Final Fantasy Tactics? If yes, buy fire emblem. It's a great game.

My SMT shipped from Newegg today.

doubt there will even be a 2nd print
With the success of Persona 4 Golden and the hype of SMT IV, I got a feeling it will be more then one print. This first print will be super rare though.

just wondering but does anyone familiar with Atlus think that msrp will be lowered once the first prints are done?
I'm mostly familiar on the Sony side but the MSRP will not be down for at least 6 months to a year. Atlus is good with sales and promotions so keep an eye for sales in the next few weeks or a month or 2.

Well, let it be known now. If anyone gets the EB Games pre-order bonus, I will gladly trade you for my Amazon bonus (or purchase it off of you).

Need advice:

I've never played a SMT game. I think the only Atlus title I have is P4G for Vita which is my first Persona game and I haven't started it yet (oh backlog). From the vids this seems like brutal pokemon + interesting story. Is this game so good that I should pick it up now, or should I wait for holiday sales? I like that I could get the LE + $30 3DS money since I already have Fire Emblem. I have $30 Amazon credit that I will either spend on this or the current anime sale.

Need advice:

I've never played a SMT game. I think the only Atlus title I have is P4G for Vita which is my first Persona game and I haven't started it yet (oh backlog). From the vids this seems like brutal pokemon + interesting story. Is this game so good that I should pick it up now, or should I wait for holiday sales? I like that I could get the LE + $30 3DS money since I already have Fire Emblem. I have $30 Amazon credit that I will either spend on this or the current anime sale.
You should pick it up now. spend $90, get $30 back then minus the FE$40 so this game is like $20. (straight value equivalent + assuming you will use the eshop credit etc just to make math easier.

Assuming non 1st print goes to normal $40 price, then you are talking about a 50% off sale to bring it to $20... I won't count on that.

but of course, the value is whether you will use the eshop money (ace attorney, various dlc for FE and SMT) or whatever and plus... the LE items and at least amazon still show the armor code (not sure about gamestop) so that may also be worth a few bucks to bring the cost down.

Anyway, do it.

I got the game today, and spent $41 out of pocket after a $5 reserve and a 15% off coupon that I was at first reluctant to use.  This is one of the few games I would buy launch day, but I'm impressed by the design of the artwork.  I'm just worried that the art book won't stand up to regular use, if I were to use it, or being on a shelf.

Played 30 min, and damn is it HARD! You really need to save after every battle, and there's no soft reset so you have to go to the home menu to avoid Charon.

Really tempted by this game. I like the fact that I can pick it up and Fire Emblem and get $30 credit. Any idea how long the game is? How long FE is?

Really tempted by this game. I like the fact that I can pick it up and Fire Emblem and get $30 credit. Any idea how long the game is? How long FE is?
You could probably squeeze Fire Emblem in under 25 hours but It took me a little over 29 hours.

I got the game today, and spent $41 out of pocket after a $5 reserve and a 15% off coupon that I was at first reluctant to use. This is one of the few games I would buy launch day, but I'm impressed by the design of the artwork. I'm just worried that the art book won't stand up to regular use, if I were to use it, or being on a shelf.

Played 30 min, and damn is it HARD! You really need to save after every battle, and there's no soft reset so you have to go to the home menu to avoid Charon.
you can move it down to EASY if its too hard....

My only worry is I will buy both of these and then still play nothing but Animal Crossing ha.
I wouldn't respect you if you didn't.

I actually found time for Fire Emblem even though I've logged like 200+ hours on Animal Crossing at this point (I've only had it 3 weeks, fml). Only reason I stopped playing is because it got too tedious. Hopefully SMT will hold me over more.

got my preorder from my local gamestop. employee said they only got stock to fulfill preorders. no extra copies.

my local bestbuy also got preorder stock.

i guess nintendo is really trying to push digital sales more.

cool! got my $30 ecredit instantly after finishing SMT IV survey. Thank you nintendo!

btw, for those that preordered the game and got the DLC codes, you have to redeem the code in game and not in the eshop. also there are 2 free DLCs right now in the add-on content menu in game. might aswell download them as they are mentioned to be for a limited time only.

Did not even make it to the first boss last night. Part of that is me wanting to research stuff first about the game before I go deep into it. I am assuming it's a good idea to always have close to your max demons being switched in/out to your party to keep them leveled up right?

cool! got my $30 ecredit instantly after finishing SMT IV survey. Thank you nintendo!

btw, for those that preordered the game and got the DLC codes, you have to redeem the code in game and not in the eshop. also there are 2 free DLCs right now in the add-on content menu in game. might aswell download them as they are mentioned to be for a limited time only.
that free stuff is for the FIRST MONTH then it goes up to normal price so no rush

is the first boss those horses or whatever its called (before you find the ring in the first dungon) they are like level 6 or 7... yea had problems with them so i grinded up to level 6 and they were a cakewalk

bread's done
Back