Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne $44.99 at Play-Asia

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I'm a little confused on what is going on.[/quote]
I'm not sure myself, but I'll just go out on a limb and say this is the work of a kind and loving savior for those of us who have been looking for this game.

Nice work, OP. I'm definitely thinking about getting it.

So for the uninitiated... is this suppose to be the same gaming world as Persona 3? Do they use "Evokers"? Does it involve school and socializing, etc?

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Through paypal you mean?[/quote]

well yea I selected it as my payment type and then canceled out of paypal so my order is awaiting payment until I do pay via paypal (which in your order click pay by credit card and the paypal option will be right below it on that page)

[quote name='crunchewy']So for the uninitiated... is this suppose to be the same gaming world as Persona 3? Do they use "Evokers"? Does it involve school and socializing, etc?[/quote]

more like its the apocalypse and you convince enemies to join your team to make your team more powerful

though the persona you remember from Persona 3 are a lot of the monsters (assuming I'm remembering both games right)

......dammit! i finally found a decent used copy from GS on saturday. cost me $53.99 w/ the edge card. disk is pretty good, no manual, no soundtrack...messed up case.

i might as well buy one from play-asia w/ the coupon i've been sitting on.

I dearly hope they reprint DDS1. This is exactly the sort of thing they SHOULD do to make quick money off of those hardcore folks who will force the reprint to sell out. Imagine how quickly a Suikoden II reprint would sell >.>

[quote name='Armenius']Imagine how quickly a Suikoden II reprint would sell >.>[/QUOTE]

I've been saying this for years - the fact that Konami hasn't put it up on the PSN store yet is crazy to me, I mean, what would that cost them? Heck, or make it the pre-order bonus for the next Suikoden. Would any RPG fan NOT buy Suikoden VI if they were guaranteed a copy of Suikoden II with it?

[quote name='ihavenolife123']I thought atlus didnt like to reprint[/quote]They don't, but I hope they reprint this one, it's great and more people should play it.

Not to mention that it would help raise hype around the SMT series, and we will probably be starting to see SMT4 stuff around TGS I'd guess.

I've been striking out recently with deals... got a complete (sans soundtrack) copy of Nocturne back in January @ GS for about $40 after the 25% and 10% coupons and I thought that was a good deal. Haven't gotten around to it yet but I would've waited for this, and I acquired Rez and Gitaroo Man before their reprints/re-releases on other media.

Awesome deal for those dying to play it, so don't hesitate to get it.

Hmmm, I might buy this. I rented it from gamefly years ago when it first came out, sent it back before I beat it since it got sort of boring and I didn't feel like playing it.

pretty cool, it's an interesting game, collecting and combining monsters. Decent storyline- bizarre Dante appearance. Moderate difficulty, tough at times, but overall not that bad.
The only real negative is the random battles are a bit too often.
I sold mine on ebay a while back, hope this is a reprint. I shot Atlus an email, will post if they get back to me.

[quote name='vherub']Moderate difficulty, tough at times, but overall not that bad.[/QUOTE]

Did you finish the game? It gets brutal in some of the later dungeons. And some of the boss fights - especially the optional ones - are very nasty.

Kind of bums me out, I just bought it from someone here a few weeks ago (not a complaint, I was happy to get it, just if I would've waited a few weeks..).

Today, it does appear a bit dated. Like you HAVE to be ok with random battles as the norm, your abilities you learn being fixed (this is my only real frustration, you really need to know what abilities are coming up and what to take/what not to take from your Magatama). DDS improved on this by letting you change your abilities any time out of combat, so really it does just speak to how old the game is to have an outdated system. Even Persona 3, just through sheer volume of Personas you can equip you never end up losing any "key" abilities.

However, I love the setting. The storyline is engaging, I just like there are no real good guys no matter what reason you end up siding with (or none of them). It can be a bit cheap/unfair at times (my last stupid death was using Deadly Fury and getting avenged 3 times by 3 Gurrs' from full hp). And there are so many Demons, the dungeons are interesting, has an interesting visual style. It is definitely a memorable gaming experience, and it just makes me want there to be an SMT 4 (I'm content with the Persona series, I just prefer SMT).

I'd assume it'll come down in price, but for people to really love RPGs, this is a worthy pick up. Just accept it will be potentially frustrating at times. Actually, not really. People overhype things like getting a Mudo/Hama after not saving for an hour and having to start over. The same things could happen in Persona 3, but realistically, if you pay attention to what demons you have, make semi intelligent skill selections, this game isn't really any harder than a Final Fantasy (well, at least on normal difficulties). Cover the bases with elemental spells, get death production/buff skills/debuff skills. Build a versatile party, and the game really isn't that hard.

With the Metal Gear Solid (1+2+3) pack that was released recently Play-Asia had it up on their website before anyone else knew it existed, it makes me think that this is just another one of those cases. Back then it took a week or so for the other sites to get the info up.

Also, HK is alot closer to China *(which is possibly where a re-print would be manufactured), so there is also a big chance (IMHO) that they just received it early, then in a couple weeks the US stores will all get theirs in and whoalla, $30 or $40 SMT:N...

I am not gonna pick one up because I think scenario above is plausible...I know there are some holes in it, but I think there is a trend for Play-Asia to be quick about stuff like this, quicker than Amazon at least....just my thoughts

[quote name='vherub']pretty cool, it's an interesting game, collecting and combining monsters. Decent storyline- bizarre Dante appearance. Moderate difficulty, tough at times, but overall not that bad.
The only real negative is the random battles are a bit too often.
I sold mine on ebay a while back, hope this is a reprint. I shot Atlus an email, will post if they get back to me.[/quote]

I shot atlus an email also. I'll also post a response once I get one (who knows maybe they will release a little more info between different emails :p)

I hope they put some sort of "Greatest Hits" sort of labeling on the case. That way people that haven't had a chance to play it can play it and it doesn't decrease the value of the original copies.

Hmmm. I have the soundtrack disc, but not the game. I definitely want it, but Amazon would be the better option. Torn.

[quote name='argyle']I've been saying this for years - the fact that Konami hasn't put it up on the PSN store yet is crazy to me, I mean, what would that cost them? Heck, or make it the pre-order bonus for the next Suikoden. Would any RPG fan NOT buy Suikoden VI if they were guaranteed a copy of Suikoden II with it?[/quote]

just get them to release the Suikoden I & II combo for PSP here :whistle2:(

im glad if they are reprinting this so people dont have to pay $60 at RapeStop. on the subjuct of wanting a DDS reprint, id rather had them do like two pack deal with both DDS in them, who wouldnt buy that? also keep in mind that if they do reprint DDS it will most likely (not saying it wont) not have the box and goodies. but is DDS realy that hard to find? we have a bunch of copies of Nocturne, DDS, .hack 4, ect over here in cali

[quote name='refusedchaos']im glad if they are reprinting this so people dont have to pay $60 at RapeStop. on the subjuct of wanting a DDS reprint, id rather had them do like two pack deal with both DDS in them, who wouldnt buy that? also keep in mind that if they do reprint DDS it will most likely (not saying it wont) not have the box and goodies. but is DDS realy that hard to find? we have a bunch of copies of Nocturne, DDS, .hack 4, ect over here in cali[/quote]

this actually is one of the few times GameStop has a decent deal, $60 is nothing compared to what it normally goes for on eBay

[quote name='refusedchaos']im glad if they are reprinting this so people dont have to pay $60 at RapeStop. on the subjuct of wanting a DDS reprint, id rather had them do like two pack deal with both DDS in them, who wouldnt buy that? also keep in mind that if they do reprint DDS it will most likely (not saying it wont) not have the box and goodies. but is DDS realy that hard to find? we have a bunch of copies of Nocturne, DDS, .hack 4, ect over here in cali[/quote]

you're right. it's rare depending on where you live. here in chicago, the old GS store availability showed that there were 3 copies of DDS within a 100 mile radius of my location like 2 months ago. but all of them turned out to be disk only and scratched up. i was desperate so i asked my friend in bellflower, CA to find me a copy. there were like 18 copies....a store even had 4+ in stock. it was same for Nocturne, like 3 or 4 copies here vs 9 copies near bellflower.

it really depends on the gamers in your area. if they're really into RPGs (mainly Atlus), then most of them will be harder to find. and most of them won't let go of the game unless they really have to.

[quote name='kosmos13x']I shot atlus an email also. I'll also post a response once I get one (who knows maybe they will release a little more info between different emails :p)[/quote]

nice

let us know what they respond with.

has anyone contacted play asia to ask if this comes with soundtrack or its game only? just wondering

[quote name='kosmos13x']I shot atlus an email also. I'll also post a response once I get one (who knows maybe they will release a little more info between different emails :p)[/QUOTE]

They denied the Persona 2 and Rhapsody reprints, even though they ended up being true. If they say yes, then that's one thing but if they say no then we should take it with a grain of salt.

Dammit, I wish this came earlier as I paid $60 for a shitty copy at GS hoping I could finish it and sell it off without loss.:whistle2:|

ok will the ebay seller answered my question. he said its sealed with no soundtrack. when i asked him about the white seal on top he said it doesnt it have it. didnt all sealed Nocturnes (even the second shipment) have the white seal sticker on top?

[quote name='refusedchaos']ok will the ebay seller answered my question. he said its sealed with no soundtrack. when i asked him about the white seal on top he said it doesnt it have it. didnt all sealed Nocturnes (even the second shipment) have the white seal sticker on top?[/quote]

do believe so, they only stopped putting the white seal on top maybe two years ago? and Nocturne came out in 2004

[quote name='buckythekat']do believe so, they only stopped putting the white seal on top maybe two years ago? and Nocturne came out in 2004[/quote]

not true, once the first press was released, all the reprint did not have the seal on the top, thats why so many copies on ebay has no soundtrack.

Already have a used copy of the original print, soundtrack, game & all but I would love to buy another just to keep among my NIS/Atlus games.

Crossing my fingers so Amazon will sell some copies for $40-ish prices.

[quote name='refusedchaos']ok will the ebay seller answered my question. he said its sealed with no soundtrack. when i asked him about the white seal on top he said it doesnt it have it. didnt all sealed Nocturnes (even the second shipment) have the white seal sticker on top?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a reprint considering how many copies he's listing. He sold 10 on Ebay, listed another 10 there and sounds like it's the same seller on Amazon who's also selling them for $70.

Sucks to be that guy who bought 8 of them probably thinking it's a good flip.:lol:

[quote name='Vinny']
Sucks to be that guy who bought 8 of them probably thinking it's a good flip.:lol:[/QUOTE]

well thats what he gets for being greedy

[quote name='refusedchaos']well thats what he gets for being greedy[/QUOTE]

Well, talks of reprints must spread fast then... because the guy who sold the first 10 on Ebay has yet to sell one from the second batch he put up and they've been up for a while now (well, longer than you'd expect considering the price is half what it normally goes for).

Not that I'm complaining but I thought Atlus had made a statement in its own forum that they would no longer do reprints?!

[quote name='eau']Not that I'm complaining but I thought Atlus had made a statement in its own forum that they would no longer do reprints?![/quote]

i know..

same thing my friend told me..

-___-

[quote name='eau']Not that I'm complaining but I thought Atlus had made a statement in its own forum that they would no longer do reprints?![/QUOTE]

They did, on their old forums so no proof exists. I'm guessing the demand is just too great for them to ignore.

[quote name='Gosha']Heres hoping DDS1 gets a reprint as well. I've been sittin gon my copy of DDS2 for awhile without the first one to play.[/QUOTE]

Same here! I'd love to see DDS 1 get a reprint.

[quote name='Alien Spider']Same here! I'd love to see DDS 1 get a reprint.[/quote]

Only if they reprint the LE boxes also. I've seen both DDS 1 & 2 as used but they were priced $45 & above + it was just the case & disc, so not interested.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Only if they reprint the LE boxes also. I've seen both DDS 1 & 2 as used but they were priced $45 & above + it was just the case & disc, so not interested.[/QUOTE]

nah, at this point I'd just be happy with a new copy of the game, scratch free, with instruction manual. It'd be awesome to have the LE box but definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Can anyone explain why Nocturne is so great? I was reading the Wiki of the game and it didn't interest me that much.

TWO WORDS: Kazuma Kaneko

Nocturne and DiGi Devil are mature themed and the art direction evokes a Akira or Macross. Its like teeny bopper anime steampunk coming of age pagan emo bliss. Persona 3 pales.

Because it looks like the game is compatible with the US PS2s, I'm also assuming that it will play on the US PS3???

What do you guys think?

[quote name='vrblknch']Can anyone explain why Nocturne is so great? I was reading the Wiki of the game and it didn't interest me that much.

TWO WORDS: Kazuma Kaneko

Nocturne and DiGi Devil are mature themed and the art direction evokes a Akira or Macross. Its like teeny bopper anime steampunk coming of age pagan emo bliss. Persona 3 pales.[/QUOTE]

Out of all the Shin Megami Tensei games Persona 3 is definitely my favorite, I have around 130 hours in it so far. But I love all the ones I've played (including Nocturne), it's just P3 happens to be my favorite.

bread's done
Back