Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - Coming September 22nd (9-22-09)

I still have the original PS One copy of this game. This might be a good time get rid of it and upgrade to the PSP version. Hopefully the new version is much more improved and no lag from loading.
Click Here to try GameFly for FREE or start for only $8.95!!

[quote name='KingCrow02']I still have the original PS One copy of this game. This might be a good time get rid of it and upgrade to the PSP version. Hopefully the new version is much more improved and no lag from loading.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was able to sell my copy of the Psone version within 24 hours of putting it up on Amazon Marketplace at $54.99 just a couple weeks ago. It's still going for good prices even though this has been announced, which I find odd.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, I was able to sell my copy of the Psone version within 24 hours of putting it up on Amazon Marketplace at $54.99 just a couple weeks ago. It's still going for good prices even though this has been announced, which I find odd.[/QUOTE]
Not really. More people have a PSOne, PS2, or PS3 than a PSP. So it's still cheaper to buy the original than a PSP ($169.99) + the game which will probably be $39.99.

[quote name='mxpowar']Not really. More people have a PSOne, PS2, or PS3 than a PSP. So it's still cheaper to buy the original than a PSP ($169.99) + the game which will probably be $39.99.[/QUOTE]

True. I don't even technically have one myself. It's my fiance's. But I probably would have purchased one anyway when Silent Hill Origins or Star Ocean 1 released.

From Fatlus email:
personapsp_glamourshot_faithful.jpg

:rofl: @ nod to Snow Queen quest

God I can't wait for this.

Just waiting for the pre-order to go up on Amazon. I'm guessing $40 but I won't mind it since the PS1 version of mine sold for a lot, as others did.

I don't get why they didn't update the battles like they seem to have done for most everything else. The cheapass in me doesn't want to pay $40 for it either heh. Maybe Amazon will have it as a deal of the day sometime in the future.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I don't get why they didn't update the battles like they seem to have done for most everything else. The cheapass in me doesn't want to pay $40 for it either heh. Maybe Amazon will have it as a deal of the day sometime in the future.[/QUOTE]
Even if they hadn't changed a damn thing, $40 is still cheaper than the black market price of the original Persona for PSone. Besides, you get a 2-disc soundtrack and you can play the game on the go. If that's not enough for you, then you probably just don't like Persona that much.

Yeah considering most people sold their copies for $100+. This walk through also convinced me that this is indeed the definitive version. I'm sure the PS1 version will still hold a high price over the years though because people out there still don't own PSPs/and/or collectors who rather have a PS1 version. The value has dropped a bit but still $60-$70ish for complete copies. Much like MVC2 will hold a a steady price in the long run.

I never said it wasn't a good value for those that have been wanting to play the original. All I said was I would wait til it's cheaper. If you find it worth $40, then great go buy it.

I have no interest in the soundtrack (would actually rather wait for a second run when they remove the soundtrack as it's useless clutter to me), and I've never played a Persona game before, so I'm not dropping $40 on a game series I've never played when I'm strapped for cash.

Atlus just announced this will release simultaneously on PSN and on UMD on September 22nd. Wonder if the download will be cheaper.

[quote name='62t']I am sure some people would prefer the original soundtrack instead of this new Persona 3/4 crap.[/QUOTE]

Some people like being punched in the genitals. What's your point?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4080

That sucks that they delayed it to allow for a simultaneous PSN/retail launch and are still charging $40 for either version.[/QUOTE]

wow, that's nice that they are doing a double release, but bad as in it's the same freaking price.

how is that going to pave the way for DD.....

unless this is a move to support the lame duck psp go .... but still wanting the spoils.

seriously the spoils will end once everything is DD.

It's not a new price for Atlus on the PSP (Steambot Chronicles), so it's more of an issue for publisher's pricing decision on PSP in general. If you're refering to them being the same price, that's just how downloadable retail games have to be done right now until stores aren't so uptight about the pricing.

I had already preordered the UMD release, even before Atlus added the spoils to it, but I had to LOL when I read the digital distribution version was the same price. Talk about taking the legs out from under the DD version! Hopefully more and more publishers will follow suit, and people will keep voting for the purchasing method that allows them to truly own something. :D

[quote name='darkwingduck13']I had already preordered the UMD release, even before Atlus added the spoils to it, but I had to LOL when I read the digital distribution version was the same price. Talk about taking the legs out from under the DD version! Hopefully more and more publishers will follow suit, and people will keep voting for the purchasing method that allows them to truly own something. :D[/QUOTE]

This. If you guys don't want to spend $40 on it, then you don't have to bitch to us about it. DD isn't going to be cheaper, and i don't intend to support it until it does (see: Meet The Robinson's $20 on Xbox's Game on Demand)

I for one will buy this Day 1 to support my amazing Atlus, and of course to play the first in a series of games that i love. Besides, the soundtrack for Personas 3 & 4 is the best of the best (and you'd know that if you read my blog ;)), so i see no reason to complain.

Just bumping this up since I've been playing a lot of this for the past couple of weeks and wrote up some impressions last week. I mostly just compare how things differ from Persona 4, since that's the only Persona game I've played before.

It's a good thing that some of the issues I've had with the game haven't stuck around, as the way you create Persona is a bit asinine for me. There's also been an issue for me with creating a persona for Maki that has made her powerful and a huge experience suck, since experience isn't spread out to everyone, to stunt the growth of the others in my group.

Frisky, How is the fusing in Persona different from the later games(I've only played Innocent Sin,P3 and P4)?

You converse with Persona, build up the Eager portion of the emotion gauge, and then they'll let you ask for a card. You need at least two cards and you have to be at least a few levels higher than the shadow you're getting a card from or they'll just leave. It's just such a more complicated process than just doing a simple minigame or merging the personas themselves to get more powerful persona.

I think I'm near the end, if not in the end game, but the walkthroughs on GameFAQs are poorly written, so I can't get a gauge on where I'm at. I'm about 40 hours in, so I have to be somewhat close since I've seen it described as a 30-50 game.

Yeah, it's especially been a bit annoying for the past dungeon or two since the levels of the shadows I'm fighting are equal or greater than my best person, so I haven't been able to get any cards and have had to rely on the personas that are about ~20 levels lower than my party members right now. That powerful, balance-breaking persona I mentioned earlier is just a level 18, so that's not a sign of their weakness. I'd just like to not have to grind to get more persona.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think I'm near the end, if not in the end game, but the walkthroughs on GameFAQs are poorly written, so I can't get a gauge on where I'm at. I'm about 40 hours in, so I have to be somewhat close since I've seen it described as a 30-50 game.[/QUOTE]

So you are following a walkthrough and it's still taken 40+ hours? That's pretty interesting since folk not using a walkthrough are going to take even more time to get as far as you are.

Getting the persona sounds familiar to Eternal Punishment. I really do like the P3 and P4 approach as opposed to having to try to coerce demons to liking you.

Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if there was a P4-style analyze for it so that you had a record of what options get an eager response, but there's always excel to help you out.

Should be finishing it today since I'm in what should be the final final dungeon. I'm at 52:35 right now, so this is worth the money on time alone though it shouldn't be $40 in the first place.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki'] it shouldn't be $40 in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Your reasoning behind this is? It's basically a brand new game compared to the NA release of the original. They completely redid the translation, included the Snow Queen quest, not to mention the JP additions.

I'm glad it's a return to the old Persona 2 style of demon negotiation. It gave the game a lot of charm. You couldn't pay me not to buy this game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Your reasoning behind this is? It's basically a brand new game compared to the NA release of the original. They completely redid the translation, included the Snow Queen quest, not to mention the JP additions.

I'm glad it's a return to the old Persona 2 style of demon negotiation. It gave the game a lot of charm. You couldn't pay me not to buy this game.[/QUOTE]

He probably just thinks handheld games shouldn't be more than $30, which I fully agree with. I highly doubt he was saying the game isn't quality or anything like that.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Your reasoning behind this is? It's basically a brand new game compared to the NA release of the original. They completely redid the translation, included the Snow Queen quest, not to mention the JP additions.

I'm glad it's a return to the old Persona 2 style of demon negotiation. It gave the game a lot of charm. You couldn't pay me not to buy this game.[/QUOTE]
Because PSP games shouldn't be $40, especially with the frequency that it has occured recently. I could accept the top tier releases being $40 (GT, GTA, Assassin's Creed, LBP, MGS, FF, etc.), but not stuff from Atlus and the usual PSP publishers.

It should've been $30 in the first place, but you did a good job of ignoring the part before that where I said the game itself was worth it on content alone.

$40 is too much for something that looks so outdated. Especially considering Persona 3 is coming to the PSP and will definitely get a NA release sometime next year.

I have to say P3 is better than P2 (which is more similar to the first), but Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga might be the best of the series. I do think that Atlus is doing the right thing in bringing these to the U.S. Maybe next they'll bring over director's cuts of Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment.

[quote name='willardhaven']I have to say P3 is better than P2 .[/QUOTE]

Opinion=/=Fact

In my personal opinion, Persona 2 is miles better than 3, but I still liked 3. 4 on the other hand.... I'm glad they didn't fuck with Persona 1 PSP too much and kept it old-school. fuck this weeaboo animu bullshit they've turned the series into.

bread's done
Back