Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - Coming September 22nd (9-22-09)

[quote name='slidecage']
unless its coming from that shipping place in indiana where it looks like they stomp on all the boxes before they ship themout[/QUOTE]
This is really all I can think of. I was so happy when I saw my copy was shipping from Delaware.

Need help with the third dungeon.

So I went through the hospital and police station, couldn't go back into the school because it was sealed with a magic fog, so I gathered I had to go to the abandoned factory to get into SEBEC. I get in there and the receptionist says the main guy is on the top floor, but I've been around all 5 floors and can't figure out what to do next.

Also because I've been fighting just about every battle, my characters are all around lvl 16 right now. Is that good or am I too low?

Thanks in advance.

Keep going forward. If you've noticed paths you can't reach, that's because it's kind of a big U-turn through those floors one way and back through them another way.

Oh man I wish I check gamefaqs earlier... now I'm stuck with a party member I really don't like. I'm only 2 hours in so I might restart the game.....

Kaji there's no FAQ yet on GameFAQ's and the official Persona guides from Double Jump (both the print and digital ones) are listed as on backorder. I'd rather ask questions on here than the 12 year olds on gamefaqs forums.

Also,
Am I supposed to be looking on the 5th floor or one of the other ones?

[quote name='MSUHitman']Kaji there's no FAQ yet on GameFAQ's and the official Persona guides from Double Jump (both the print and digital ones) are listed as on backorder. I'd rather ask questions on here than the 12 year olds on gamefaqs forums.[/QUOTE]
There are no FAQs for it but they atleast have a few posts that let you know you can only have 5 characters... if I knew that I would have said no to Brown.

Yeah, Elly is the girl I wanted. I'll probably restart my game in the morning and do that(Brown just annoys me too much). I have no idea what I'll do with the Snow Queen quest... But I'll need to look into how to unlock that later. I'd like to avoid starting over(again) if possible.

So is it too late to do the Snow Queen quest since I already started the SEBEC quest? Not having a guide at the beginning really sucked.
Thanks Dead of Knight for that guide.

Hmmm, the SQQ quest sounds like it could be a little tough. Maybe I'll just go the other quest first to get used to the battle system.

I would just use that guide that Dead of Knight posted. I didn't realize how the structure of the game is and now I don't have the fencer chick and I missed a bunch of stuff at the beginning.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
So is it too late to do the Snow Queen quest since I already started the SEBEC quest? Not having a guide at the beginning really sucked.
Thanks Dead of Knight for that guide.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you miss the SQQ permanently if you start SEBEC. However, it only takes like 2 hours to restart the game and get back to the point where you choose your path. They are completely separate games so you can't do both, but I think you know that. The "common route" page on that guide I posted tells you exactly how to get the SQQ. I chose SEBEC first since this was my first full playthrough of the game. I plan on immediately doing the SQQ after beating SEBEC; I love this game too much.

I didn't know that until I read the guide you linked, I've never played a Persona game, even though I own 3 FES and 4. Figured I would start with the original and it's starting to be a little hard to find around here so I thought I would buy the physical version and get the 67-song soundtrack.

So is Persona 2 a direct sequel to this game, or is it like other JRPG series where it's only linked by name/gameplay style/theme?

I need an opinion, please. I really want to buy this game and play it "blind" (no strategy guide unless I get stuck) but do you miss a lot of things permanently if you aren't super anal with your playthrough? I got FF7 on my PSP and was so worried about missing stuff that I would play for about fifteen minutes and look at my FAQ. This kind of ruined my enjoyment and kept me from being immersed. Does that even make any sense?

[quote name='MSUHitman']So is Persona 2 a direct sequel to this game, or is it like other JRPG series where it's only linked by name/gameplay style/theme?[/QUOTE]
My understanding is that they take place in the same universe but aren't directly related. At least thats what the Persona ep of Retronauts led me to believe.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']My understanding is that they take place in the same universe but aren't directly related. At least thats what the Persona ep of Retronauts led me to believe.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much true, but most of the characters from the first one show up in 2, mostly as cameos. However, Yukino is a major playable character in Innocent Sin, and one of the baddies plays a minor role in EP.

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']I need an opinion, please. I really want to buy this game and play it "blind" (no strategy guide unless I get stuck) but do you miss a lot of things permanently if you aren't super anal with your playthrough? I got FF7 on my PSP and was so worried about missing stuff that I would play for about fifteen minutes and look at my FAQ. This kind of ruined my enjoyment and kept me from being immersed. Does that even make any sense?[/QUOTE]
Just check out the guide I linked to. In the walkthrough pages, it has very little real spoilers, but in bold, it tells you the exact choices you need to make in order to get the ultimate Personae for everyone. Those are the only major missables and the guide doesn't really spoil anything. The only choices that affect it are dialogue choices, as well.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Pretty much true, but most of the characters from the first one show up in 2, mostly as cameos. However, Yukino is a major playable character in Innocent Sin, and one of the baddies plays a minor role in EP.[/QUOTE]
I never really played much Persona 2(I do have a copy of Persona 2 EP sitting in my room but I'm kind of hoping for a PSP remake.) So I completely missed that connection.

I played Persona 2 EP (and IS) last year. It was still a great game, but the difficulty is a bit more punishing than this game. :lol: I really hope they do a remake of the two Persona 2s, they are excellent games and deserve to get more fans.

I've started EP twice by my ADD kicks in after a while. The first time I played it "wrong" and found it too hard. What I mean by "wrong" is that I had no idea that I was supposed to fuse stronger Personas. And the 2nd time I started it was juts to see how a PS1 game looks on a HDTV.

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']I need an opinion, please. I really want to buy this game and play it "blind" (no strategy guide unless I get stuck) but do you miss a lot of things permanently if you aren't super anal with your playthrough? I got FF7 on my PSP and was so worried about missing stuff that I would play for about fifteen minutes and look at my FAQ. This kind of ruined my enjoyment and kept me from being immersed. Does that even make any sense?[/QUOTE]

It totally makes sense. Just play it through by yourself and actually ENJOY the game. I've played a few games two or three times. The first time, I just enjoyed it. The second time because I would look on a FAQ or a strategy guide and see something interesting. Like, "Holy crap, you can get THAT?" Just sit down and actually play the game. Playing a game with a guide or FAQ by your side sounds (and feels) too much like actual real work to me.

Ffffff, I keep getting SMT'd at the final boss in the SEBEC. It's one target, but can attack twice. If it uses its most powerful attack twice in one turn, it's instant death. And it's like a 20 minute walk to the final boss from the last save point. FML.

I hate how many RPGs are easy throughout, then force you to either 1. have ridiculous luck or 2. level up a ton just to beat the final boss. This is one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']Ffffff, I keep getting SMT'd at the final boss in the SEBEC. It's one target, but can attack twice. If it uses its most powerful attack twice in one turn, it's instant death. And it's like a 20 minute walk to the final boss from the last save point. FML.

I hate how many RPGs are easy throughout, then force you to either 1. have ridiculous luck or 2. level up a ton just to beat the final boss. This is one of them.[/QUOTE]
This is why I try to skim through a walkthrough before I play JRPGs. Just to get a heads-up on bullshit like this so I don't get frustrated. I'd rather have the story spoiled for me somewhat, than get frustrated while playing a video game. There's enough of that in real life.

[quote name='mxpowar']This is why I try to skim through a walkthrough before I play JRPGs. Just to get a heads-up on bullshit like this so I don't get frustrated. I'd rather have the story spoiled for me somewhat, than get frustrated while playing a video game. There's enough of that in real life.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't really have the time to level up and/or constantly make the 20-30+ min trek back to the final boss to try again and again. I started work full time and I'm still studying for the CPA exam. I really don't need this shit. I was loving this game the whole damn time until this happened. Wrrryyy Atlus wrrrryyyyy. I'll probably try one more time, then give it a rest for a while until I actually have a reasonable amount of free time to level up.

EDIT: One last time was the charm. Cheesed my way to beating that motherfucker. Here's how I did it with all my guys in the mid-40s.
Purchase as many Magical Guards as you can. Sell any shit you don't need so you can afford them. I had 55 and those were all gone at the end of the battle. I got lucky and it died a round or two after I ran out. Final form has 15k HP. ALL of the final boss's worst attacks can be reflected by them and can reflect over 80 points of damage back to the boss. Have your fastest guy (for me it was MC) use these every turn, or, if you don't have 65+ of them like me (only had about 55) only use them on the turns when the boss is red. When it's blue, it'll only have one chance to attack with its nasty magic attacks if it changes back to red, and you should be able to survive one as long as you have full health. Make sure as many of your guys as possible resist/null/absorb ice, but if you got the Magical Guards, it will not be a big deal if you don't. Of course, all of this applies only to the second form of the boss. Don't waste any Magical Guards on the first form, the first form is a total joke. The first form is weak against firearms, and you should have picked up the best guns from Yin Yan. You should use firearms on the second form as well; it is by far the most reliable damage and it saves you SP for buffing and healing. The second form is where all the shit I said above applies. Also get some status-healing items/spells, particular ones that cure Paralysis, Stone, Charm, and Guilt. The final boss doesn't use that many status attacks as long as you got the Magical Guard, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']And it's like a 20 minute walk to the final boss from the last save point. FML.[/QUOTE]
Damn, so they kind of didn't fix that from the original?

[quote name='pete5883']Damn, so they kind of didn't fix that from the original?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, they didn't. There could be one somewhere on that floor, but I didn't see it. If it is, it's out of the way. Kind of odd considering they added a shitload of savepoints everywhere else in the game.

Oh well, on to the Snow Queen quest.

[quote name='blueweltall']Just play it the first time to have fun. You could always come back for a second round.[/QUOTE]

And a for a third and fourth time. The game is incredible. I love negotiating with the demons, very clever. :applause:

The first Persona game I played was P3. They are both awesome in their own way but I like the fighting system a little better in this one. I haven't been able to figure out how to add Persona's. I went to the Velvet room, gave Igor two cards and it created a new Persona along with skills. I couldn't find it, will have to try it again to see if I did something stupid. :lol:

[quote name='Rodster']And a for a third and fourth time. The game is incredible. I love negotiating with the demons, very clever. :applause:

The first Persona game I played was P3. They are both awesome in their own way but I like the fighting system a little better in this one. I haven't been able to figure out how to add Persona's. I went to the Velvet room, gave Igor two cards and it created a new Persona along with skills. I couldn't find it, will have to try it again to see if I did something stupid. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You have to go to the option "Take on Persona" in the Velvet Room. You cannot take on a Persona if the Persona's level is higher than a character's Persona level (different from their normal level).

I'm glad some n00bs to the series (people who started with 3/4) are enjoying this as well.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']You have to go to the option "Take on Persona" in the Velvet Room. You cannot take on a Persona if the Persona's level is higher than a character's Persona level (different from their normal level).

I'm glad some n00bs to the series (people who started with 3/4) are enjoying this as well.[/QUOTE]

Crap I forgot about that, LOL. The Persona was Lv 18 and I was at Lv 17. :dunce:

Btw one thing I prefer in P3 and P4 is the voice acting. It makes the game more enjoyable rather than reading text. It also gives the characters more personality.

[quote name='Rodster']The first Persona game I played was P3. They are both awesome in their own way but I like the fighting system a little better in this one.[/QUOTE]
:whee:

Anyone else still playing this? I'm doing the Snow Queen quest, finished Hypnos and Nemesis Towers, gonna do Thanatos next since it's the last one before the endgame. Nemesis Tower took like a half hour, I was surprised it was so short and easy.

[quote name='pete5883']I thought SQQ was supposed to be omg so hard etc. etc.?[/QUOTE]

No. That is only if you decide to do the hardest of the three dungeons you can do in any order first. Then it requires some prep, but it's still not that bad. The only reward for doing the dungeons hardest first is that you can get more of the ultimate Personae, but in SEBEC I was like 20 levels below the required level to get them when I beat it, and they aren't supposed to be that great anyway.

Well, turns out Snow Queen Quest is probably one of the most unbalanced games I've ever played. Hypnos and Nemesis Towers were absolute jokes. Thanatos Tower is unforgivingly hard. The enemies are much higher levels than anything before them, and are much tougher. If anyone dies at all, their Personae are sealed unless you trek back to a place at the beginning of the dungeon to unseal them. And there are no save points at all. I'm gonna have to grind at Devil's Peak if I want to stand a chance at all of beating this.

Beat the Snow Queen Quest last night. Thanatos was rough to get through but after that the game was a joke. Kind of disappointing that they just went el-cheapo for one dungeon and made the rest of the game piss easy. Still a great game. SEBEC is far better than the SQQ, though.

$15 shipped on Amazon if anyone is interested. From what I'm hearing on the Amazon thread, you can still get free shipping since the discount comes out after you decide what shipping you want.

[quote name='depascal22']$15 shipped on Amazon if anyone is interested. From what I'm hearing on the Amazon thread, you can still get free shipping since the discount comes out after you decide what shipping you want.[/QUOTE]

Just ordered it with Prime. Not sure if I'll like it or not, but for $15 it's easy to take the plunge and see.

To anyone who ordered this through the lightning deal did you also get a promo code for $5 TV show downloads off Amazon? I never saw that when I ordered but I got some kind of $5 code for that! LOL

[quote name='J7.']To anyone who ordered this through the lightning deal did you also get a promo code for $5 TV show downloads off Amazon? I never saw that when I ordered but I got some kind of $5 code for that! LOL[/QUOTE]

I didn't get it when I ordered Persona, but I did get it on the very first lightning deal I that I ordered from on Black Friday. I only got it that one time though, despite several orders!

Sweet deal!!! Since I had $10 promo credit I only paid $5 and I got the $5 credit lol. Do you know if it's only for TV shows or also for movies?

[quote name='Unassuming Local Guy']Are they still in the collector's edition first run? I'm curious if I should be looking on eBay for a copy or if I'm safe to buy it from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I GOT THE first ed off amazon delivered today

[quote name='depascal22']I got the code also and it said TV on DVD.[/QUOTE]
Just checked and its definitely TV on demand for me, has like 40 different shows to choose from $2.99 for HD, $1.99 SD, so I'll pick up one of each.

[quote name='J7.']Just checked and its definitely TV on demand for me, has like 40 different shows to choose from $2.99 for HD, $1.99 SD, so I'll pick up one of each.[/QUOTE]

I went back and it does say TV on Demand. If anyone wants my code, shoot me a PM.

[quote name='Unassuming Local Guy']Are they still in the collector's edition first run? I'm curious if I should be looking on eBay for a copy or if I'm safe to buy it from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Got my copy yesterday and I believe it is (its in a box and comes with a 2 disc soundtrack?)

bread's done
Back