Shining Force Neo $24.82 shipped @ Amazon.com

[quote name='CaoPi']havn't played a shining force game in years...heard this one is mediocore[/quote]
Old-timers feel that way because it's not a SRPG, it's a hack-n-slash RPG... one that's fun but challenging and long, from what I hear.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yea it's nothing like the Old School Genesis ones which is disappointing. I hope they go back to there roots.[/quote]
You're out of luck. Shining Force EXA is the next SF title, and it's similar to SF Neo.

[quote name='CaoPi']havn't played a shining force game in years...heard this one is mediocore[/QUOTE]
No, its just very different. It's actually a really good action RPG, though the story is kind of cliche and the voice acting is kind of lame (like 90% of other JRPGS :p ). It's like Record of Lodoss War for the Dreamcast, on the slim chance you've played that.

God only knows why Sega called it "Shining Force" Neo; it would've gotten way better reviews if they had just called it something, anything else.

[quote name='canedaddy']Old-timers feel that way because it's not a SRPG, it's a hack-n-slash RPG... one that's fun but challenging and long, from what I hear.

You're out of luck. Shining Force EXA is the next SF title, and it's similar to SF Neo.[/QUOTE]
Ah Gay. I new EXA was coming out next but thought they might have gotten the hint and made it a SRPG. I don;t see why they wouldn't with SF 1 and 2 being great and the success of Many Atlus and Nippion Ichi SRPG's. Sega has lost there damn minds. :)

[quote name='pimpinc333']Ah Gay. I new EXA was coming out next but thought they might have gotten the hint and made it a SRPG. I don;t see why they wouldn't with SF 1 and 2 being great and the success of Many Atlus and Nippion Ichi SRPG's. Sega has lost there damn minds. :)[/quote]
Actually, it's par for the course for Sega. Just look at Phantasy Star Universe, the new Sonic the Hedgehog (X360, PS3), the Sega Classics Collection (where Sega "remixed" classics like Space Harrier and Golden Axe). All these games were meant to be updated for the better but that is highly debatable. The only game I can remember that Sega updated that was pretty good was Shinobi (PS2) but still not as good as Shinobi III (Genesis). Anyway, I sincerely hope that Sega listens to its fans and returns to its roots, but I doubt it. Oh well, at least there's the Wii's Virtual Console and illegal romz (because the Wii doesn't emulate the Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, or Dreamcast, yet) to play some good Sega classics.

Action RPGs don't cut it for me it's like going turn based from original FF into FF 12 god what the hell were they thinking?

[quote name='CaoPi']Action RPGs don't cut it for me it's like going turn based from original FF into FF 12 god what the hell were they thinking?[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not really a action-RPG like FFXII, it's more like Diablo. I actually enjoyed what I played of Neo (which was a good 10-15 hours). I just need to get back around to it.

[quote name='62t']Simple. Camelot, who worked on all 3 Shining Force, left Sega.[/QUOTE]
According to allgame.com, Shining Force I, Shining Force II, Shining Force CD , were developed by Sonic Software Planning. Only Shining Force III was developed by Camelot, it seems. I have a question though: is the Sonic Software Planning and Sonic Team the same company?

[quote name='franz ferdinand']It's like Record of Lodoss War for the Dreamcast, on the slim chance you've played that.

[/quote]

Makes sense; both Record of Lodoss War and Shining Force Neo were developed by Neverland.

HOT STUFF COMIN YOUR WAY!!

They should pay you for having to hear that a million times in a play through.

[quote name='mxpowar']According to allgame.com, Shining Force I, Shining Force II, Shining Force CD , were developed by Sonic Software Planning. Only Shining Force III was developed by Camelot, it seems. I have a question though: is the Sonic Software Planning and Sonic Team the same company?[/QUOTE]
The games are made by the same people. They are just not call Camelot until SF3.

I like how none of you people know anything about the history of the Shining Force series (or RPGs in general for that matter), yet wax on like you have a clue.

SFN is a great game, highly recommended.

[quote name='anderton']I like how none of you people know anything about the history of the Shining Force series (or RPGs in general for that matter), yet wax on like you have a clue.

SFN is a great game, highly recommended.[/QUOTE]
better than Shining Tears, yes. Great, no

[quote name='anderton']I like how none of you people know anything about the history of the Shining Force series (or RPGs in general for that matter), yet wax on like you have a clue.

I know that the early Shining Force games where awesome. SF 1, 2, 3 in general. Why did I enjoy them and not Neo? Simple they are Strategy RPG's, Neo isn't. Hence the reason I dislike Neo.

But ONLY if you like hack n slash games. I think the problem people have is that the title is misleading. They shouldn't have put "force" in the title if it wasn't a SRPG. (See: Shining in the Darkness, Shining Wisdom, Shining Soul I+II, Shining Tears, Shining Wind...)

[quote name='mxpowar']But ONLY if you like hack n slash games. I think the problem people have is that the title is misleading. They shouldn't have put "force" in the title if it wasn't a SRPG. (See: Shining in the Darkness, Shining Wisdom, Shining Soul I+II, Shining Tears, Shining Wind...)[/quote]

Yes, but the "Force" was never intended to mark the Fire Emblem rip-offs. People who blindly bought Neo thinking it would be an SRPG clearly need to become a little more educated when it comes to gaming purchases.

I also want to mention that Camelot indeed did work on the earlier versions of SF. I'm a huge fan of the series and have beaten each game with the exception of SF CD because I never had the Sega CD system. After you beat the game it goes through the credits and Camelot is in them. I wish they'd re-release SF III on one of the newer systems with all 3 scenarios here in the US.

Well, imho, I was very excited to hear about a new shining force game for the PS2 even though I didn't/don't own one. After I heard they were making it a hack-and-slash RPG, my hopes went down the drain :whistle2:\ I've been around shining force most of life, since it first came out :p Still own the original carts :D A few years ago, I got all the scenarios for the saturn, but for some reason, haven't played all of 'em yet, even the first one, which was the only one that came outside of Japan.... I'll get around to it eventually :p Anyways, good deal, but I really don't know too much about the game as it's not the "regular" SRPG/TRPG (t-tactical). If you wanna get some more info on it, go visit shiningforcecentral.com It's a great site with quite a lot of information on the shining force games. And yes, Sonic Software Planning -> Camelot.

I've been kind of interested in this, and Gamespot gave it a good review, but one of their first lines is that it's hard/frustrating at times (meaning I'll probably hate it)...

And it's apparently by the same company that made CIMA. And I *HATE* CIMA. Cool idea, atrociously broken.

[quote name='mxpowar']According to allgame.com, Shining Force I, Shining Force II, Shining Force CD , were developed by Sonic Software Planning. Only Shining Force III was developed by Camelot, it seems. I have a question though: is the Sonic Software Planning and Sonic Team the same company?[/QUOTE]

I specifically remember seeing "Camelot" on the Shining Force games, and 3 is the only one I haven't played, so I think they're wrong.

[quote name='anderton']Yes, but the "Force" was never intended to mark the Fire Emblem rip-offs. People who blindly bought Neo thinking it would be an SRPG clearly need to become a little more educated when it comes to gaming purchases.[/QUOTE]

Since every other Shining Force game is a strategy RPG, it's not exactly strange that people would think this is also a strategy RPG, and I totally agree that is should have been called something else.

And I like the Shining Force games WAY more than the Fire Emblem I played...

[quote name='MoxManiac_']If you can tolerate horrid unmutable voice acting and generic trashy anime jrpg story this is a REALLY good action RPG in the Diablo vein.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the voice acting was horrid, but you can turn off the voice acting (which I did 15 minutes into the game). Other than that, it's an average action RPG. It's a shame it wasn't multiplayer.

[quote name='Wolfpup']

And it's apparently by the same company that made CIMA. And I *HATE* CIMA. Cool idea, atrociously broken.

[/QUOTE]
Do you mean Neverland? The made Lufia, one of the more under rated game on SNES.

bread's done
Back