Should i buy Star Wars KOTOR?

Weedy649

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Ok so i own an xbox but i dont play it much, basically got it for Ninja Gaiden and while i own plenty of games like halo 2, most sega exclusives and metal slug i dont see many other reasons to play. I have heard alot of great things about Star Wars KOTOR and it even won rpg of the year but i strayed away from it because of 2 reasons. 1) I dont buy many xbox games and 2) i have never seen a star wars in my life(dont know if i even want to). Now my question with that in mind is will i enjoy the game without having any knowledge of star wars? Is it really that great of an rpg(my favorite genre) and if so, which CAG is ready to let this go for a cheap price so i can check it out :wink:

KOTOR is an amazing game. I beat it in 5 days when it first came out, by playing non stop (took me 40 hours). Fun battle system and should be great even if you are not familar with Star Wars (has nothing to do with the movies, since it is set 2000 years before the movies)

Wow, never seen Star Wars? I would say do that first (rent the original trilogy), then play this game.

I would guess if you have zero knowledge of Star Wars then KOTOR just wouldn't have the same impact. I think you'd be missing out on a lot. Yeah, different characters and all, but still.

IMO, KOTOR is a must own. One of the best games in my library. Has the best story of any game i've ever played.

Do you need to know about Star Wars to enjoy the game? I dont think so, i'm pretty sure they explain anything SW related in the game.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Well if you like RPGs I don't see why you waited until now to pick it up.[/quote]

First and foremost because im a CAG :cool:
secondly because i wasnt sure about the whole star wars thing but so far it looks like i should pick it up if i can find it for like 10 or less that is :wink:

stupid thread.

try searching there are loads of, should i get kotor/is kotor good/do i suck cause i dont own kotor, and so on.

idk, i lost interest in kotor rather fast. And I know xboxmaster agrees with me that the game was dull and boring. Hes a frickin xbox fanboy and he didnt liek the game, lol... nuff said.

Do you want 40-50 hours of your life brutally ripped away and love every minute of it?

Then the answer is yes.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, and I loved it.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']idk, i lost interest in kotor rather fast. And I know xboxmaster agrees with me that the game was dull and boring. Hes a frickin xbox fanboy and he didnt liek the game, lol... nuff said.[/quote]

I agree. The game was great for a few hours...then suddenly just became blah. It's not a bad game, but not really my favorite. Like everyone else has said, you an pick up a used copy for about 10 bucks now. It's worth that.

Boring for the first hour, after that it's fun and glory.

I recommend to watch the original trilogy. They are good, don't be swayed from them because of all the fanboys.

If you have the time, I would definately recommend it. The framerate may seem really bad at first, but it becomes a lot better. This could be just me though. There are so many things to do, and they are all challengin/fun. This is why I like it so much, I wasn't expecting much and got so many different things to do.

By the way, I just started playing it and am on my 12th hour.

paz please dont bother posting in my thread with such negative comments, i want to know if I should buy KOTOR keyword, I.

As for everyone else thanks for the feedback good to see that some people who dont like star wars enjoyed it and that its set 2000 years in the past(guess thats why its called knights of the OLD republic lol) around what time frame does this occur though?

btw 40 hours is what i consider the average time a rpg should take to beat so i dont mind that at all. I have plenty of rpgs i have yet to play but i now have a nice little amount of time i set aside each week to play an rpg until i beat it

Ok I was very skeptical of this game. It turned out to be the first game I played when I got my Xbox. I started it and couldn't stop. As CaseyRYback said you just can't stop. I finished in about 40 hours also and it only took just under a week. This game is a must play if not a must own.

[quote name='Weedy649'][quote name='zionoverfire']Well if you like RPGs I don't see why you waited until now to pick it up.[/quote]

First and foremost because im a CAG :cool:
secondly because i wasnt sure about the whole star wars thing but so far it looks like i should pick it up if i can find it for like 10 or less that is :wink:[/quote]

Well it's been $20 for quite a while and true it is star wars but I'm sure you've played other RPGs that were good but linked up to something else you had no knowledge of. :wink:

KotOR 1 was a great game. It is a game that you will want to play twice, once being a Jedi and the other time being a Sith. Its only $20 now and worth every penny.

I hate pretty much everything about the Star Wars movies and I loved both KOTORs. In fact, I think I like KOTOR 2 more than 1 - 2 had better gameplay while 1 had the best story.

[quote name='mmn']I hate pretty much everything about the Star Wars movies and I loved both KOTORs. In fact, I think I like KOTOR 2 more than 1 - 2 had better gameplay while 1 had the best story.[/quote]

I Love all the movies... but I hate all the games... there games just feels rushed....

[quote name='Spoon_si'][quote name='mmn']I hate pretty much everything about the Star Wars movies and I loved both KOTORs. In fact, I think I like KOTOR 2 more than 1 - 2 had better gameplay while 1 had the best story.[/quote]

I Love all the movies... but I hate all the games... there games just feels rushed....[/quote]

Uhm, it takes 20 hours before you even get a lightsaber.

How is that rushed?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Do you want 40-50 hours of your life brutally ripped away and love every minute of it?

Then the answer is yes.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, and I loved it.[/quote]

I loved every minute as well... and btw I was as evil as they come! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

[quote name='Scahom1']He means rushed out to market, aka incomplete.[/quote]

Well, an argument about that could be made about KOTOR 2, but I don't see how anyone could think the first one was rushed.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='Spoon_si'][quote name='mmn']I hate pretty much everything about the Star Wars movies and I loved both KOTORs. In fact, I think I like KOTOR 2 more than 1 - 2 had better gameplay while 1 had the best story.[/quote]

I Love all the movies... but I hate all the games... there games just feels rushed....[/quote]

How is that rushed?[/quote] Wow, you must have done a lot of things inbetween. I got it in 8 hours and I thought I did most of the stuff...

It's a great game with some incredible characters. The story's so-so, but with the characters, the story comes alive and sucks you into the game, which doesn't distract you with sucky gameplay. Good stuff man. I advise you to at least rent it, but I own it, and continue to bring it back out once in a while.

I'm actually surprised that anyone has to think about whether or not to buy the original KOTOR. It got at least three game of the year awards in 2003, and it's just $20 new at this point (even less used). Unless you just hate sci-fi, RPGs or Star Wars, I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed by this game. I love it. :D

KoTOR is the best RPG on the Xbox.... I assume... as far as I know, its the only rpg.... besides kotor 2

[quote name='supadupacheap'][quote name='Kayden']KoTOR is the best RPG on the Xbox.... I assume... as far as I know, its the only rpg.... besides kotor 2[/quote]

Fable?[/quote]

Oh yea.... but doesn't that suck?

[quote name='Kayden'][quote name='supadupacheap'][quote name='Kayden']KoTOR is the best RPG on the Xbox.... I assume... as far as I know, its the only rpg.... besides kotor 2[/quote]

Fable?[/quote]

Oh yea.... but doesn't that suck?[/quote]

No. Not at all. I enjoyed it. For me it was a longish rent type game. Its not epic like a Kotor or FF.

[quote name='EnderBui'][quote name='mmn'][quote name='Spoon_si'][quote name='mmn']I hate pretty much everything about the Star Wars movies and I loved both KOTORs. In fact, I think I like KOTOR 2 more than 1 - 2 had better gameplay while 1 had the best story.[/quote]

How is that rushed?[/quote] Wow, you must have done a lot of things inbetween. I got it in 8 hours and I thought I did most of the stuff...[/quote]

Yeah, I did. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to RPGs. Probably why I don't play them very often.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']I'm actually surprised that anyone has to think about whether or not to buy the original KOTOR. It got at least three game of the year awards in 2003, and it's just $20 new at this point (even less used). Unless you just hate sci-fi, RPGs or Star Wars, I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed by this game. I love it. :D[/quote]

Yeah well i dont like future sci-fi and i dont know jack about star wars which is 2/3. Im pretty sure im going to pick it up now thanks for all the feedback guys

I said yes because the place this game shines is the story, (I think) not to mention the game in itself is also a joy to play and worth the 35-40 hours.

bread's done
Back