Shrek: The Whole Story (BR) up for preorder - $40.49, was $44.99.

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Amazon has Shrek: The Complete Story on Blu-Ray up for pre-order on Amazon, at $44.99 $40.49:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046A9RMC

It includes:
Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek The Third
Shrek: Forever After
Donkey’s Christmas Shrektacular

First time the first two movies were on BR, and they're eventually coming out in separate releases.

Shrek: Forever After is also up for pre-order on BR, though at $31.49 for the single-disc and $34.99 for the two-disc with DVD, you'd be a bit crazy not to get all four of the movies at once for $11.25 a movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Shrek: Forever After is also up for pre-order on BR, though at $31.49 for the single-disc and $34.99 for the two-disc with DVD, you'd be a bit crazy not to get all four of the movies at once for $11.25 a movie.[/QUOTE]

ha! yeah, it does make it seem like a really great deal! It's also cool that this is marked down so much from $80 (which is probably what most B&M stores will sell it for, or no less than $70 release week) But I'm assuming you don't get any DVD copies with this package, which I guess is fine with me..

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Not a bad price for the whole set, but I wonder why they left out Shrek the Halls and the Halloween special.[/QUOTE]Might be licensing issues, since they were both shown on NBC and NBC might own the distribution rights to it.

[quote name='token2k6']ha! yeah, it does make it seem like a really great deal! It's also cool that this is marked down so much from $80 (which is probably what most B&M stores will sell it for, or no less than $70 release week) But I'm assuming you don't get any DVD copies with this package, which I guess is fine with me..[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure this will be as cheap as it gets for a pre-order, since I can't imagine it would be much cheaper unless Amazon gets in another price war with Walmart over it.

I'd assume no DVD copies in this set, though DVD copies for Shrek 1-3 are on the cheap these days. Until we get a disc count for the set, we won't know what's in there save the four movies and the extra special.

Preordered. Great price for the movies. I only saw the first 3 and enjoyed the first 2 and hated the third. Want to see the fourth one. Great price. Thanks shrike!

Hm . . . pre-order placed to lock in the price, but I'm not sure whether I want this or not. The Shrek movies should be right up my alley -- I like animated movies, the fantasy/fairy tale theme is appealing . . . But I saw the first movie when it was in the theater and hated it at the time. I can't even honestly say why I hated it (I think I found a lot of the jokes to be a little too dumb, but it may have even just been my mood when I saw it), but it led me to just skip the rest. Should I give this a second chance? Are the later movies better than the first one?

I thought the second was just as good if not better. Third was horrible imo and haven't seen fourth. I would give it a second chance. I also really like the artwork on the front

[quote name='Penguin1084']I thought the second was just as good if not better. Third was horrible imo and haven't seen fourth. I would give it a second chance. I also really like the artwork on the front[/QUOTE]

Dont bother seeing the fourth it sucks IMO

kinda wonder if the price will increase on this before release.... I've seen a ton of movies/anime that are cheaper the first week or so they are up for preorder then the price jumps, never to see the preorder price.

for that reason I've just started preordering anything that I might want when I first see it.... sooo... preorderer ;)

Amazon has Shrek: the whole story available for pre-order for $44.99 shipped, product description:

From Amazon.com:

For the first time ever, you can finally own THE WHOLE STORY on Blu-ray. It’s the ultimate holiday gift!

Remastered for the most brilliant viewing experience, SHREK: THE WHOLE STORY is a must-own collection. Relive every moment of Shrek’s incredible journey from the hilarious Academy Award®-winning beginning to the magical and heartwarming Final Chapter. All four discs feature hours of all-new extras and the brand new, limited-edition DONKEY’S CHRISTMAS SHREKTACULAR.

A hilarious holiday program that is a perfect holiday treat for the whole family, DONKEY’S CHRISTMAS SHREKTACULAR will be available for a limited time only and features all your favorite characters as they perform classic holiday songs with Shrek-ized lyrics, as well as “Shrek’s Yule Log,” featuring over 25 uproarious character appearances in front of a crackling virtual fireplace.

Over 7 Hours of Special Features:
Donkey’s Christmas Shrektacular
• Donkey’s Caroling Christmas-tacular
• Shrek’s Yule Log
• 12 Days of Christmas Pop-up Book
• Donkey’s Decoration Scramble
• Cookin’ With Cookie
• Gingy’s Games & Activities
Secrets of Shrek
Shrek, Rattle & Roll Music & More
Deleted Scenes
Filmmakers’ Commentary
From Swamp to Stage: The Making of Shrek The Musical
Blu-ray exclusive extras
• The Animators’ Corner
• Shrek’s Interactive Journey
• BD-Live Merry Music Fest
And much, much more!

http://www.amazon.com/Shrek-Whole-Story-Forever-Blu-ray/dp/B0046A9RMC/ref=sr_1_1?tag=slickdeals&s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287055374&sr=1-1&prv=slickdeals&cur=forums&ses=

I don't know if this was pure coincidence, but I placed an order this, this morning; my first Amazon order in a while.

Then this afternoon, I received emails saying "thanks for your gift card order" I logged on, and someone had hacked into my account, and placed two separate orders. One for an Amazon GC, the other for a Xbox Live 12 Month.

I called Amazon, and someone is supposed to call me back in 24 hours supposedly. They "locked/closed" my account; said I might not be getting it back (for who knows why, I did nothing wrong?)

Just wanted to warn you guys, it could be just the timing, but you can never be too safe.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I don't know if this was pure coincidence, but I placed an order this, this morning; my first Amazon order in a while.

Then this afternoon, I received emails saying "thanks for your gift card order" I logged on, and someone had hacked into my account, and placed two separate orders. One for an Amazon GC, the other for a Xbox Live 12 Month.

I called Amazon, and someone is supposed to call me back in 24 hours supposedly. They "locked/closed" my account; said I might not be getting it back (for who knows why, I did nothing wrong?)

Just wanted to warn you guys, it could be just the timing, but you can never be too safe.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, but I don't see what one has to do with the other. Scan your computer to make sure it isn't compromised.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That sucks, but I don't see what one has to do with the other. Scan your computer to make sure it isn't compromised.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that it does, the timing probably pure coincidence; however I just figured I'd warn people to be on the look out for false orders/charges just in case

[quote name='MrDubbs']I'm not saying that it does, the timing probably pure coincidence; however I just figured I'd warn people to be on the look out for false orders/charges just in case[/QUOTE]

did u order it in the public area or did u order it at home.

[quote name='neonglow']This has dropped in price to $40.49. I just canceled my previous order and reordered at the new price.[/QUOTE]Nice find. Updated the OP and re-ordered.

I'm sure Amazon's current price is a response to an earlier Walmart price drop. The current WM price is a response to Amazon. They'll probably go back and forth a bit over the next couple of weeks and see who goes the lowest.

[quote name='neonglow']This has dropped in price to $40.49. I just canceled my previous order and reordered at the new price.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? I thought that Amazon had a pre-order price guarantee, and if it dropped on the site, the price on the pre-order would drop as well? Canceling and re-ordering, I guess, but I thought we weren't supposed to have to do that.

[quote name='arcane93']What the hell? I thought that Amazon had a pre-order price guarantee, and if it dropped on the site, the price on the pre-order would drop as well? Canceling and re-ordering, I guess, but I thought we weren't supposed to have to do that.[/QUOTE]

You're right. It usually doesn't hurt to cancel and re-order though. Makes sure you get the best deal without having to fight customer service.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']You're right. It usually doesn't hurt to cancel and re-order though. Makes sure you get the best deal without having to fight customer service.[/QUOTE]

There was a point, though, where it just happened automatically, and you didn't even have to watch the prices on the site or fight with customer service. You'd just get an email letting you know that the price had dropped, and your order had been adjusted. What happened to that?

I mean, honestly, if it weren't for this thread, I'd have had no idea that the price had dropped on this. I'm certainly not checking the price on Amazon every day.

Thanks for the heads-up so I can watch the price of the set I already pre-ordered.

I'm hoping this is an early shot in the Amazon vs. Wal-Mart Price Wars 2010 because Wal-Mart just dropped it to $40.00. I've been waiting for them to compete again since I locked in Inception in my Gold Box, especially because Inception is a Warner Title and Warner Titles last year (Hangover, Harry Potter, among others) got super cheap.

[quote name='arcane93']There was a point, though, where it just happened automatically, and you didn't even have to watch the prices on the site or fight with customer service. You'd just get an email letting you know that the price had dropped, and your order had been adjusted. What happened to that?

I mean, honestly, if it weren't for this thread, I'd have had no idea that the price had dropped on this. I'm certainly not checking the price on Amazon every day.[/QUOTE]Well, they normally do happen automatically, though I have plenty of cases where it doesn't in my past order history. Normally, it'll drop the price on the order within 24 hours of the drop happening on Amazon, though if it's a drop and then a price increase, their automated systems won't normally catch it.

If it's the only item on an order and I don't have a Gold Box discount, promotional code credit or the like, I'll cancel and re-order. If I have a Gold Box discount, it's one item on a larger order, or there's promotional credit involved, I'll email them to manually price change it, and normally, that gets done in one email, sometimes two.

If you want to track price changes, I highly recommend using www.camelcamelcamel.com to keep an eye on the prices for Amazon items. Very useful when items have pre-order price guarantees and you don't get them lowest price.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Wasn't there just a Shrek Halloween special? So this is already incomplete![/QUOTE]
I believe they account for that on this release as well.

I loved the 2nd, didn't love the third, and never saw the 4th. Looks like it's 4 discs, which I guess means no super fancy extras, especially as it includes the Donkey thing. I'll dwell on it.

Just saw that Samsung is going to have the exclusive on the 3D version of this set with another 3D starter kit. Damn it, these exclusives are pissing me off. Though technically, my TV is a Samsung, and I haven't bought the glasses or anything yet, so I could actually use this . . .

I'm torn. There's not enough 3D content available yet (at least outside of the many "exclusive" bundles) for me to really justify the glasses, though this is at least more tempting than the previous bundles. Also, I'm against the starter kit bundles because they're the battery-powered glasses, and when I do finally get around to investing, I'd rather have the rechargeable ones. But I don't know if I can justify buying the non-3D version of the Shrek set, knowing that the 3D version is out there and that I'm going to get the glasses eventually. Ugh.

[quote name='arcane93']Just saw that Samsung is going to have the exclusive on the 3D version of this set with another 3D starter kit. Damn it, these exclusives are pissing me off. Though technically, my TV is a Samsung, and I haven't bought the glasses or anything yet, so I could actually use this . . .

I'm torn. There's not enough 3D content available yet (at least outside of the many "exclusive" bundles) for me to really justify the glasses, though this is at least more tempting than the previous bundles. But I don't know if I can justify buying the non-3D version, knowing that the 3D version is out there and that I'm going to get the glasses eventually. Ugh.[/QUOTE]At least, with this starter kit, you're getting four movies instead of a single title, so that's something.

I agree, these exclusive are ridiculous. Most retailers are practically giving away the starter sets + 3D BD player with the purchase of the TV, so the manufacturers are taking a bath on it out of the gate.

Whenever I decide/need to replace my LG 55LE8500 during its warranty period or afterwords, it'll be a 3D set, though that'll be when it's much more pervasive in the market than it is now.

[quote name='shrike4242']At least, with this starter kit, you're getting four movies instead of a single title, so that's something.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that. Makes it a little more worthwhile anyway. I just wish there were other (generally available, non-exclusive) titles out there that I cared about, because this much investment even for four movies seems like a bit much.

[quote name='shrike4242']I agree, these exclusive are ridiculous. Most retailers are practically giving away the starter sets + 3D BD player with the purchase of the TV, so the manufacturers are taking a bath on it out of the gate.[/QUOTE]

I apparently caught it at just the wrong time, and didn't get a damn thing when I got my TV. The only consolation that I have is that I got an incredible deal on it, basically $350 less than the normal lowest selling price on the model (so essentially the cost of a starter kit off), and having the 3D glasses right away wouldn't have done me much good anyway. Still, I'm pissed that they're giving these things out left and right, and I didn't get anything.

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, I was kind of thinking that. Makes it a little more worthwhile anyway. I just wish there were other (generally available, non-exclusive) titles out there that I cared about, because this much investment even for four movies seems like a bit much.[/QUOTE]Assuming the movies are good 3D transfers, it's better to get four movies than one.

[quote name='arcane93']I apparently caught it at just the wrong time, and didn't get a damn thing when I got my TV. The only consolation that I have is that I got an incredible deal on it, basically $350 less than the normal lowest selling price on the model (so essentially the cost of a starter kit off), and having the 3D glasses right away wouldn't have done me much good anyway. Still, I'm pissed that they're giving these things out left and right, and I didn't get anything.[/QUOTE]Manufacturers are selling the TV + starter kit + 3D player at a loss to get the tech out to as many consumers as possible, since the economics of scale will make the costs less expensive over time. More people that have them, more 3D titles will be coming out, and so on. Until we get to the point where manufacturers aren't taking losses to get product out there, I'm passing on it. 3D will take a while to really get into the home marketplace, and I'm betting that to be 2-3 years of time.

Just got my new Samsung yesterday. LOVE IT. Haven't tried the Shrek 3D's yet. But certainly will check them out before my Standard Blu Ray set ships from Amazon.

[quote name='shrike4242']Assuming the movies are good 3D transfers, it's better to get four movies than one.[/QUOTE]

I've read one review that said they're pretty good. Still trying to find out if they have the non-3D versions on the discs as well, whether they have all of the special features, and whether they have lossless audio (some of the early 3D blu-rays ditched the lossless audio track, presumably because of space issues).

[quote name='shrike4242']Until we get to the point where manufacturers aren't taking losses to get product out there, I'm passing on it. 3D will take a while to really get into the home marketplace, and I'm betting that to be 2-3 years of time.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, I got my 3D TV kind of accidentally. I had ordered the Samsung LN46C650 (their highest model non-3D LCD set) from Amazon, but they were backordered on it. I figured hey, it's a Samsung TV, how long can it take? Well, a month later, I still hadn't gotten it, and the Amazon forums were full of other people who had ordered it (some weeks before me) complaining as well. I had moved back around the same time that I had ordered it, and I had gotten rid of my old TV at the time because it honestly wasn't worth moving, so I was without anything and was getting pretty frustrated.

So I called up Amazon customer service and asked the guy that I got if he could give me an estimate on how much longer it would be. He said that he didn't know, so I asked him whether he could cut me any kind of a deal if I bumped my order up to the next model up (the LN46C750, their 3D LCD model), which they had in stock, but at that time was about $400 more. I totally expected him to say no, or at best to offer to give me $50 off or something, which I probably would have rejected because I couldn't justify spending that much extra when 3D was the only really significant extra feature. But I figured I'd ask. Instead of doing that, though, he gave it to me for the same price that I had ordered the LN46C650 for.

(I didn't post what I had gotten anywhere at the time, because I didn't want people deluging Amazon with calls and demands to get the same deal, as he had firmly emphasized that it was a "one time" offer. Apparently others tried independently to get a deal on the same upgrade, and got shot down completely. So I guess I got extremely lucky.)

So Amazon customer support wins forever in my mind. But now I've become an "early adopter" of 3D without ever even having intending to. It seems like a waste to have a TV with those capabilities without using them, but I've been seriously balking at the additional start-up cost of having to buy at least two pairs of glasses (since at minimum I need a pair for myself and a pair for my girlfriend). I keep hoping to see at least a bit of a price drop on the glasses (was hoping maybe for some Christmas deals), but so far it doesn't seem to be happening.

The other problem with these starter kits is that they all come with the battery-powered glasses, and I'd really much rather have the rechargeable ones (beyond the preference for recharging over having to replace batteries, I've heard from several sources that the rechargeable ones are significantly better). But of course because the rechargeable ones don't come in a starter kit, if I bought them I wouldn't get any movies. This whole thing is just a marketing nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the glasses at Costco, they were in a glass case and I honestly can't remember what they cost. Also, you can check Amazon Warehouse Deals, I know you can get them discounted there too.

[quote name='arcane93']I've read one review that said they're pretty good. Still trying to find out if they have the non-3D versions on the discs as well, whether they have all of the special features, and whether they have lossless audio (some of the early 3D blu-rays ditched the lossless audio track, presumably because of space issues).
[/QUOTE]

Link to the review?

[quote name='manthing']Link to the review?[/QUOTE]

Well, it was actually just a forum post. I'm having trouble finding it again now, and I'm at work so I can't spend a whole lot of time digging. I'll try to find it later and post it.

bread's done
Back