Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

[quote name='Brother Daz']I was just reading the the new collection of figures is going to cost around $500. Is there any truth to this? If so, there is no way the boy is getting the full second series collection.[/QUOTE]

That may be for every new figure, including reposed original ones and maybe even both lightcore and non-lightcore versions. So I'd suspect it isn't quite that much for just the new stuff. I mean, there are 8 Giants and 8 new smaller figures, right? So at full retail that is 8 x $15 + 8 x $10 = $200. And you get one of each in the Starter Pack. So, say considering the starter pack price of $75, then the total is $75 + $200 - $15 - $10 = $250 for the game plus all 16 new figures.

Of course that assumes all the smaller figs will be available in single-packs which may not be the case. Some you might have to get in triple packs with older figures.

Still, $200, or whatever it is, is a bit too much. I may have to do what I did last time and sell a few to offset some of the cost. I hate having to do that, but they don't give me much choice ;).

I sold quite a few to offset costs too. Just enough to essentially get my collection for under half off, probably more. Never bought more than 2 per fig though or wiped out shelves either. I've been a witness to that. There's a fine line between covering costs to build your collection and being a douchebag (insert lame internet cries of capitalism here).

I got wind of a TRU with a fresh stock of the Legendary triple back when they were rare and raced over there to nab one for my girls. As I'm walking into the electronics section some lady was leaving with a dozen of them. I'm surprised she left two on the shelf, which was fortunate for me.

[quote name='io']
And screw the whole ticket thing. If they expect it to be like that, then I'm not going to bother going.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Having companies keep the hoarders at bay is nice, but TRU has taken it too far in the other direction.

[quote name='Corvin']
Yeah. Having companies keep the hoarders at bay is nice, but TRU has taken it too far in the other direction.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't mean that so much than if they expect it to be like that, then I don't stand a chance. I was going to roll in around noon or later and see what I could find. But if they are doing tickets before opening, then there's no point even showing up. And I'm not going before opening just for a chance of possibly getting a couple.

They've been doing them random too. You get a ticket for a single new Skylander. They hand it to you at the register. You don't get to pick.

My store is doing first come first serve. The last few times I've been, some one grabs a cart, runs to the back, scoops everything into their cart and checks out- so i will be going to target.

I refuse to race someone through a store for some action figures.

Just an FYI, I was just back from Toys'R'Us at Concord Mills, NC. I talked to the manager at the store, the one that will be there at open on Sunday for the release. Got some good news.

They will absolutely, positively not be allowing ebayers/scalpers to clean off the shelves (at least on the first day). Even if someone tries all employees are being told to not ring them up. On Sunday, they will be limiting people in line to one per figure (you can buy as many different ones as you want). They may up it to two per if the line isn't very long. People will be let in a few at a time in order to make selections, they have enough stock that tickets will not be viable. They were building the display today.

She told me they had at least one guy come in the day they got in the shipment and tried to get them to bust the street date. He tried to put his credit card down on the entire shipment when they wouldn't budge, and they told him to take a hike. He will be told the same thing if he tries to buy them out again Sunday.

Sounds like they have grown weary of being a wholesaler for the greedy (with free returns for anything that doesn't sell) while turning away disappointed kids and parents. The employees that were standing there were nodding as I spoke to her. I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I'd recommend anyone find a store where the employees can't be bothered with worrying about it if you plan on funding your holidays with Skylanders scalping.

[quote name='nbballard']
I refuse to race someone through a store for some action figures.[/QUOTE]

thumpsup-1.gif
I'm all for walking out of a store with my dignity intact.

[quote name='defpally']Just an FYI, I was just back from Toys'R'Us at Concord Mills, NC. I talked to the manager at the store, the one that will be there at open on Sunday for the release. Got some good news.

They will absolutely, positively not be allowing ebayers/scalpers to clean off the shelves (at least on the first day). Even if someone tries all employees are being told to not ring them up. On Sunday, they will be limiting people in line to one per figure (you can buy as many different ones as you want). They may up it to two per if the line isn't very long. People will be let in a few at a time in order to make selections, they have enough stock that tickets will not be viable. They were building the display today.

She told me they had at least one guy come in the day they got in the shipment and tried to get them to bust the street date. He tried to put his credit card down on the entire shipment when they wouldn't budge, and they told him to take a hike. He will be told the same thing if he tries to buy them out again Sunday.

Sounds like they have grown weary of being a wholesaler for the greedy (with free returns for anything that doesn't sell) while turning away disappointed kids and parents. The employees that were standing there were nodding as I spoke to her. I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I'd recommend anyone find a store where the employees can't be bothered with worrying about it if you plan on funding your holidays with Skylanders scalping.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty cool. Just say "No" to El Hoardo

SI

Here are the wave 2 case breakdowns.

Singles

Flashwing x2
Sprocket x2
Sonic Boom
Hex
Grill Grunt
Stump Smash
Flame Slinger
Bash
Double Trouble
Drill Sergeant

Lightcore

Eruptor x3
Prism Break x3
Drobot x2
Jet Vac x4

Giants

Hot Head x2
Swarm x2
Bouncer
Crusher

[quote name='prim4444']Here are the wave 2 case breakdowns.

Singles

Flashwing x2
Sprocket x2
Sonic Boom
Hex
Grill Grunt
Stump Smash
Flame Slinger
Bash
Double Trouble
Drill Sergeant

Lightcore

Eruptor x3
Prism Break x3
Drobot x2
Jet Vac x4

Giants

Hot Head x2
Swarm x2
Bouncer
Crusher[/QUOTE]

Interesting. It seems there're no real timed exclusives this time around.
You listed Crusher, which I thought was a Target exclusive, but apparently the Target figure just has a different paint job.
The same is true of the Gamestop 'exclusive', where the only difference is that the 3 pack's useless cannon figure is painted a different color.

Really just care about the individual new figures (regardless of color), so I'll be glad if I can purchase them wherever it's convenient.

Why in the hell doesn't Toys R Us put a per customer purchase limit on these figures?

I've also experienced the crazy people literally filling up an entire cart with close to all the in-stock Skylanders upon release.

Seems absolutely simple: Limit 1 unique figure per customer. And make a conscious effort to catch people getting back in line to purchase duplicates.

Thermodynamics? Not in the least.

[quote name='LLeopardGGecko']Why in the hell doesn't Toys R Us put a per customer purchase limit on these figures?

I've also experienced the crazy people literally filling up an entire cart with close to all the in-stock Skylanders upon release.

Seems absolutely simple: Limit 1 unique figure per customer. And make a conscious effort to catch people getting back in line to purchase duplicates.

Thermodynamics? Not in the least.[/QUOTE]

They are doing that, at least in my store. Read my post above. I talked to the manager that will be there Sunday and she was very adamant they would not be allowing the scalpers to do that.

The scalpers will have lots of other store options to do that, I'm sure - but not this one. Besides, the volume of figures is going to be much higher than the last game, and apparently Activision is prepared. If there is an artificially created shortage, it will be short lived and probably not very profitable beyond the first week or so for ebayers. The Giants section is well over twice the size of the section for the original game at any point in the last year.

Look what came via USPS today! I'm so glad Amazon used USPS instead of sucky UPS - because if it was UPS it wouldn't have gotten here till Monday. My older son (holding the box) is in between a soccer double-header. The delivery timing was perfect. Ignore my daughter's hair - it is a mess ;).

Very first impression - I thought the portal was supposed to be larger to hold 2 Giants? It is exactly the same size as our old portal. However, it is a wired portal, which is a surprise given that I got the PS3 version. The lightcore features of Tree Rex are pretty cool. I'll post a pic of that in a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
More impressions:

Trigger Snappy works just like before (ie, decorative).

Here's a shot of Tree Rex and Jet Vac (and Trigger Snappy) on the portal with the older portal next to it.

[quote name='io']Look what came via USPS today! I'm so glad Amazon used USPS instead of sucky UPS - because if it was UPS it wouldn't have gotten here till Monday. My older son (holding the box) is in between a soccer double-header. The delivery timing was perfect. Ignore my daughter's hair - it is a mess ;).

Very first impression - I thought the portal was supposed to be larger to hold 2 Giants? It is exactly the same size as our old portal. However, it is a wired portal, which is a surprise given that I got the PS3 version. The lightcore features of Tree Rex are pretty cool. I'll post a pic of that in a minute.[/QUOTE]

Won't that pic ruin his cred as a 360 fanboy?

In case any of you were planning on mapping out your morning tomorrow, like I am, apparently most Toys R Us are opening at 8am and not the normal 10am. Glad I checked the website this morning, because I was going to hit Target at 8am and then head to TRU and sit it out. I think I will go to TRU at 7am now try to fly in and grab the Legendary 3 Pack, Legendary Bouncer, Swarm and Fright Rider. My wife is going to reluctantly go to Target for me and try to get a Granite Crusher. I do not feel like the Giant figures will be hard to find, so I will try my damnedest to get the Granite Crusher before settling for the regular one. Apparently TRU is going to be getting Wave 2 as a timed exclusive, (and get this) starting Monday. Maybe some of them will find their way onto the shelves and I can grab Sprocket and Flashwing.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Won't that pic ruin his cred as a 360 fanboy?[/QUOTE]

No, that's my other son who's the 360 fanboy. He wouldn't be caught dead near a Skylander ;). That is my 9 year-old in the pic. The other one is 12. If anything, my 9 year-old is a PS3 fanboy just because of his brother being the opposite.

It appears that the old Adventure Pack pieces unlock multiplayer battle arenas and not new levels. Boo...

[quote name='nbballard']I wouldn't have expected them to unlock levels this time around, so that doesnt bug me. Do they still function as attacks in the stage?[/QUOTE]

I only thought that because I think someone posted that a while back. Plus there are no new Adventure Packs so it was thought maybe the old ones would unlock levels in the new game.

It does appear that they do their attacks like before.

EDIT: OK, I was helping my 4 year-old do a chapter select and, actually, it does appear that the Adventure Pack levels are available. But here's the thing - they appear to be exactly the same as in the orignal games. I don't know that for sure, yet, but on the Darklight Crypt one, for example, it mentions getting the pies back for the ghosts, which was the "plot" of the Darklight Crypt in the first game. Hopefully it at least has some Giants-specific sections. But when I first put those on the portal it just mentioned the multiplayer arena unlock.

As for additional figures, I was hoping Amazon would have some available by now. Maybe they'll finally be on there at midnight. There is a "preorder" for Swarm for $3x.xx but it is available from a 3rd party seller. I think I'm going to pass on TRU if they are opening so early and expecting so many people. But I'll probably try to get the Granite Crusher from Target. The kids already want some new figs to swap in ;).

Thanks for the info. Looking at the section this afternoon at ToysRus, it appears NYC ToysRus are sticking with their wonderful $11.49 per figure. At B1G1 40% off, it's almost the same as buying them elsewhere.
Not sure what I'll do, but perhaps ToysRus first, and then quickly to Target.

Well, hoping to grab at least one Legendary Bouncer and a couple Chills if they're out tomorrow. I guess I'll have to buy an even number at TrU to do the B1G1 40% off deal and do separate transactions. I really hope there are some left if I just show up around 8:30 am.

Hoping Amazon puts up the characters in about 45 minutes and I'll just order Chill from them, and maybe I can grab a legendary Bouncer from Tru online when they update their site. Anyone know what time they usually do?

edit: Not up at Amazon yet. Dammit.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the lack of figures at Amazon after midnight Pacific. Oh well... It sounds like maybe TRU will be well-stocked so I'm hoping getting in there around 11:30 (after checking Fred Meyer and Target) will be OK to get Legendary Bouncer at the least.

Both of the Legendary packs (Bouncer and the 3-pack) are on toysrus.com and even have store pickup option but you can't add them to the cart yet.

Fred Meyer has the Giants on sale for $13.99, the regular figs for $8.99, and the triple packs for $23.99 - so a slight discount there. I will probably go there first since there's one 1/2 mile from my house (and Target and TRU are much further away). I'll buy a few there, then if I can rebuy them at TRU with the B1G1 40% off I'll just return the Fred Meyer figs.

Really stupid question, how will I know which ones are Giants wave 1 characters especially for the returning characters? I know the character names but I won't be able to recognize if they're new poses or not.

Are ALL the single/three packs labeled GIANTS or something? I imagine TRU in the morning will be an epic turdmess ala Black Friday. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

They have a golden orange color scheme on the package, instead of the sky blue that was used for SA.

Also- the figure bases are orange instead of green. Hope this helps.

Just placed an order on TRU.com for 3 giants and two of the new smaller figs. (gotta keep the #'s even for my 2 boys). Couldn't add legendary bouncer to the cart, maybe it's in-store only.

Stopped by Walmart on the way to tru- they had everything in multiples and no one seemed to care. I bought the 3 giants. Ill return them if things go well at TRU in 20 minutes.

The Target exclusive Crusher is awesome. I thought he just had blue on him as opposed to green but his armor is also black instead of silver. Looks pretty cool.

I was the only one at my local Gamestop this morning at 9:00. They had a ton of figures. Stopped by a nearby Meijer afterwards and they had pretty much been raided.

Just ordered most of the new ones on TRU.com - including the legendary 3 pack. The only one I couldn't get added to cart was the Legendary Giant. 8 packs, including the legendary 3 pack, all three giants and the light up Drobot for right at $100 after the Buy One, Get One 40% off and free shipping. Hope that these are easier than the first ones to find!

I told myself I wouldn't get caught up in the Giants since my Skylanders have just been gathering dust. Looking at all the exclusive figures and lightcore stuff had my collector side going crazy. Went to a TRU, Walmart & Target and came back with the following:

I'm not gonna seek out getting all the singles for the new versions of old characters. The only ones I really was interested in re-buying are the lightcore ones. I'll probably pick the rest up eventually when they go on sale for cheap enough. The only reason I bought the 3 pack w/ Zook & Ignitor is I needed an equal price item so I could do the B1G140% on the Legendary 3 pack.

Different parts of town with different stories today:
1. First ToysRus had all the figures out (even the supposed 'wave 2' ones). There was plenty to go around, although there were some ugly ladies at the front of the small line. They were ready to push, and shove everyone else...uggh, where do these roaches come from? In comparison, there were many large guys being very civilized, and courteous. There was no need for the rudeness.
2. Stopped at second ToysRus on the way home, and nobody noticed that the stored opened earlier. Everything was on the racks, which had not been touched. This store didn't have any 'wave 2' figures, though.
3. Stopped at Target, and the only thing to note is that the 'Granite' crusher was indeed in smaller quantity than all other figures.
4. Gamestop had a good selection of figures at regular prices. Of course if your ToysRus has what you need (and you don't live in NYC), then that's the place to buy them this week.

About the game:
It's lame that the game does not credit you for having series 1 skylanders. Instead they give the 'oh, this Skylander is visiting from another game' message. Activision should've given you a way of at least porting the save file. There's no way I'm resetting my 'exp' points just so they can count, and there's no way I'm rebuying these.

The toys r us I went to was fairly crowded at open- maybe around 10 people. They had plenty of figures to go around. The plush dolls were pretty limited though, only a couple of each of the 3 variants. I could see the plushes being hard to find and they are already being sold at a markup on amazon and ebay. My daughter really wanted the plushes, so I am glad I went early.

I bought everything I wanted except lightcore eruptor. I forgot that bad boy. Target had the best exclusive. That's a SICK repaint. New armor and lights. I saw that GameStop exclusive at TRU so I saved a trip.

Is the reprinted crusher different in game?

The robot light core is lame. He has a light between his wings and that's it.

Oh, also- does swarms left fist light up? Mine doesn't and I was wondering if it was a defect.

[quote name='dragonjud']
About the game:
It's lame that the game does not credit you for having series 1 skylanders. Instead they give the 'oh, this Skylander is visiting from another game' message. Activision should've given you a way of at least porting the save file. There's no way I'm resetting my 'exp' points just so they can count, and there's no way I'm rebuying these.[/QUOTE]

Press select, go to manage, and pick ownership. They think the old ones are coming from someone else's game and not just your last game. It would be nice if they could read save files and make the connection. I'm registering mine right now and it's tedious.

[quote name='superoreo']I bought everything I wanted except lightcore eruptor. I forgot that bad boy. Target had the best exclusive. That's a SICK repaint. New armor and lights. I saw that GameStop exclusive at TRU so I saved a trip.[/QUOTE]

The game does credit you for the 'golden' variation of the silly cannon, but I'll be damned if the paint job is not exactly the same.

Thanks for the 'manage' tip on transferring ownership. Definitely tedious, but better than nothing.

As for the color variants, the game recognizes all new variations (series 2) correctly within the game. It also shows the correct colors (in game) for all previous, and current 'Legendary' figures. The only thing it does not note are those silly colors that got printed probably by mistake, but that ended up costing some people small fortunes.

My favorite new color scheme has to be the Target exclusive crusher. It definitely looks nicer than the others. Will return the regular one I got from ToysRus.

Have all of the exclusives so far, including the Walmart glow in the dark Cynder, have extras of 2 of the giants due to buying normals then exclusives. Grabbed lightcore Drobot and the rock guy, and I got the gear lady and crystal dragon from I think wave 2 already! :D I also grabbed one of each new character, so right now I'm all caught up except on remolds and lightcores, which I can skip most of.

The whole changing ownership thing was pretty annoying but it was worth it since you get quite a few XP & strength bonuses. I was tempted to return my portal owners pack to TRU and pick up the WM starter kit because of the GITD Cynder but it meant going 10 miles back in the opposite direction to return it.

What new singles are you guys seeing? Target had none at all. TRU had nothing but light cores. They both had Giants, though. Only Fred Meyer had singles: Pop Fizz, Chill, Fright Rider and maybe one other. I didn't buy them because I thought they'd be at TRU B1G1 40% off.

But there wasn't even a place for them at TRU so I don't think they had new singles at all.

[quote name='io']What new singles are you guys seeing? Target had none at all. TRU had nothing but light cores. They both had Giants, though. Only Fred Meyer had singles: Pop Fizz, Chill, Fright Rider and maybe one other. I didn't buy them because I thought they'd be at TRU B1G1 40% off.

But there wasn't even a place for them at TRU so I don't think they had new singles at all.[/QUOTE]

My TrU had Chill, Fright Rider, and Pop Fizz for new single regular characters. Also the Legendary 3 pack and the 3 pack with shroom boom. They didn't have a lot of the singles from what I saw so maybe they're selling out of those fairly quickly.

New undead, gear, water, and earth(?) are the new singles I found. Mushroom is from 3-pack, air is from starter/legendary 3 pack

[quote name='ShockandAww']My TrU had Chill, Fright Rider, and Pop Fizz for new single regular characters. Also the Legendary 3 pack and the 3 pack with shroom boom. They didn't have a lot of the singles form what I saw so maybe they're selling out of those fairly quickly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those are the only singles that should've been available. 'Wave 2' is supposed to include the flashwing and sprocket as singles, but some stores put them out today.

As for the starter pack situation, Activision is just maximizing their profit to the very end. If you get the 'Portal owner's pack', you will be missing two figures (including one new single one). So, they're basically saying, the portal is worth nothing to us...
I ended up getting a second portal. Paying $15.00 for a backup portal (when no batteries are around), and two figures (even if one is a duplicate Cynder) seemed like too much to give up for the alternate.

bread's done
Back