Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

[quote name='Navex']I'm about to get the first game and with all this portal talk, I'm wondering - can I use my Giants portal (the wired one) to use on the first game, Spyro's Adventure?[/QUOTE]

Yes!

I blind bought 6 of the $2.99 figures Amazon had today because I've been wanting to try this out for a while. Should I start with the original starter pack or just get the Giants starter pack?

[quote name='TheLongshot']So, it looks like the best deal on Giants starter pack will be on Amazon on Thanksgiving? My son wants it for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

It's $49.99 today and tomorrow at TRU in-store. At least it was at the local TRU today. They had a big sign up for it.

[quote name='thelonepig']It's $49.99 today and tomorrow at TRU in-store. At least it was at the local TRU today. They had a big sign up for it.[/QUOTE]

It is that price at Target as well.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I blind bought 6 of the $2.99 figures Amazon had today because I've been wanting to try this out for a while. Should I start with the original starter pack or just get the Giants starter pack?[/QUOTE]

Anybody?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Anybody?[/QUOTE]

The first game was good, No reason to skip it if you're into gauntlet style games. As for which starter pack you should get, that's up to you. You're going to want 1 of each element(8 total elements) to get access to all the areas in the game, so check out the elements you already have bought and see which starter pack helps out more.

Also check out some youtube videos(I like skylanders 101) to see what characters abilities look like they'd be fun to use.

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that is interested in getting Hothead that apparently Wal-Mart has gotten in new shipments of Giants they're setting aside for Black Friday so be on the lookout for him if you're out there tonight/tomorrow. I don't think there are any specials on the individual Giants but I'm just guessing they are setting them aside for the sale anyway.

EDIT: I was wondering where the 2.99 Skylanders were at that was mentioned...Here are Bash, Stealth Elf, Stump Smash, and Drobot - all from Spyro's Adventure series for $2.99 if anyone cares:
http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Sp...=1353614095&sr=8-12&keywords=skylanders+spyro

Just use the dropdown menu to select your desired one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much all of Wave 2 (Hothead, Sprocket, Flashwing in particular) was available in large quantities at TRU tonight, even 3+ hours after opening. Lots and lots of Hotheads. And even more interesting to some people, Wham Shell single was also there in large quantities (and not just in those $30 cases). Since it is a figure from the first game, it qualifies for the Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale there. They also several 3 packs from the original game, including the Camo/Warnado/Ignitor one. Great deal for those that need to finish up collections from the first game, or want to use them in Giants. Wham Shell won't be getting a repose, so this is the only form he comes in.

Legendary Stealth Elf from Giants was also in large numbers, as was expected.

[quote name='Navex']Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that is interested in getting Hothead that apparently Wal-Mart has gotten in new shipments of Giants they're setting aside for Black Friday so be on the lookout for him if you're out there tonight/tomorrow. I don't think there are any specials on the individual Giants but I'm just guessing they are setting them aside for the sale anyway.

EDIT: I was wondering where the 2.99 Skylanders were at that was mentioned...Here are Bash, Stealth Elf, Stump Smash, and Drobot - all from Spyro's Adventure series for $2.99 if anyone cares:
http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Sp...=1353614095&sr=8-12&keywords=skylanders+spyro

Just use the dropdown menu to select your desired one.[/QUOTE]

It is showing $11.99 each for me...

Going to be a Skylanders Christmas in our household. Was able to get to Walmart early yesterday to get a copy of Skylander Giants for my son. My sister also went to Walmart late to pick up the XBox 360 Skylanders bundle. I picked up a couple of the $2.99 figures from Amazon, so presents for my nephews.

Ok, Skylanders newbie here with a couple questions (ton of stuff on the net about Skylanders, but having trouble finding info on some particular questions.)

I have been collecting series 1 skylanders since January of this year, knowing that I wanted my daughter to play with me at some point, but she was just a bit too young at the time. I picked up a Wii U, and Giants seemed a logical purchase due to this. The whole family is loving the game so far. And of course daddy is hooked and plays it after everyone else goes to sleep now.

I have the first game for PC but haven't really played it.

To max out the series 1 characters (and series 2 reposes), do I need to transfer ownership to SSA game and do all the heroic challenges? Will the stats carry over to giants?
And what about hats, any hats that carry over that I can't get in giants?
And I assume to unlock their soul gem ability, I need to find that in SSA as well and it isn't available in giants?

The first character I played as and unlocked everything on is Chill down the Frozen Fury path.. what an awesome character. Unfortunately, the other two I've started up since then from series 1 seem to be one trick ponies in comparison. Is this typical between the series 1 and giants characters?

I will say I appreciate the graphical upgrade in giants compared to the first game, and the inclusion of a hard difficulty.

Any who, thanks in advance if anyone knows the answers to the questions.

[quote name='gnargnargnar']To max out the series 1 characters (and series 2 reposes), do I need to transfer ownership to SSA game and do all the heroic challenges? Will the stats carry over to giants? And what about hats, any hats that carry over that I can't get in giants?
And I assume to unlock their soul gem ability, I need to find that in SSA as well and it isn't available in giants?
[/QUOTE]The heroic challenges and whatnot appear to transfer over in my experience. Characters coming from SSA with their money and whatever hat is equipped.

If you are interested in maxing out your characters- you should make sure to use the Series 2 reposes because you can't achieve lvl 15, or get the "wow-pow" with the S1 figures.

I'm not certain about the soul gems. I would imagine that Giants includes all of the soul gems for figures with Series 2 poses. You may need to get them in SSA for the figures that aren't getting reposed. (I haven't checked to see if collecting a soul gem in SSA, but not buying the ability in SSA unlocks it in Giants. I would think that doesn't work).

[quote name='nbballard']Oh yea- just in case anyone missed it - Kroger stores have Giants figures and they are half off until mid december.[/QUOTE]

Picked up a bunch for Xmas. The boy is going to be hooked up this year! (Found mine at king soopers)

So I'm kinda new to the whole skylanders things, but its sucked me in. I'm looking for all the crazy variants. Supposedly there is version of Chill with purple lips, I guess they are supposed to be blue. Anyway I saw at the Best Buy in Sunnyvale several singles with the purple lips and whole bunch of the triple packs had purple lipped Chills. So I just thought I'd pass it on if anyone is into this ridiculous hobby.

[quote name='tigerpants']So I'm kinda new to the whole skylanders things, but its sucked me in. I'm looking for all the crazy variants. Supposedly there is version of Chill with purple lips, I guess they are supposed to be blue. Anyway I saw at the Best Buy in Sunnyvale several singles with the purple lips and whole bunch of the triple packs had purple lipped Chills. So I just thought I'd pass it on if anyone is into this ridiculous hobby.[/QUOTE]

Lol, there is a lot going around about this, but the Chill with different lips isn't really an intentional variant. It is a result of paint differences in the different locations. For the most part, the ones that went into the initial triple packs had blue (which is how she shows in game), while singles had purple or red. That has been more mixed in recent shipments, with purple seeming to be most common in all packs.

There are several intentional very rare variants to keep an eye out for, Rock versions of Whirlwind and Zook and Sparkle (glittery white) versions of Sonic Boom, Sprocket and Hot Head. Then you have some "store exclusive" variants that are common like Glow in the dark Cynder (Walmart), Fright Rider (UK only) and Sonic Boom (Walmart), as well as Gold Flameslinger (Amazon).

[quote name='icpmattj']Any word on when wave 3 will be released?[/QUOTE]

Seriously, my kids have already lost interest in Giants. If they don't push more new ones out soon it might be too late.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Terrabite! My first and only Skylander! He's the coolest and best one, right? Hey, that rhymes![/QUOTE]

Terrabite is pretty cool - we finally got him last week (last one of the 4 sidekicks that we got).

Finally got our giants game delivered today. My son has been sitting at the window waiting for it the last 3 hours. He's so excited to play it (I'm not gonna lie, daddy is excited also)

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Terrabite! My first and only Skylander! He's the coolest and best one, right? Hey, that rhymes![/QUOTE]

[quote name='io']Terrabite is pretty cool - we finally got him last week (last one of the 4 sidekicks that we got).[/QUOTE]

Is that the Series 2 figure? The first one was in one of the adventure packs, right?

[quote name='io']Seriously, my kids have already lost interest in Giants. If they don't push more new ones out soon it might be too late.[/QUOTE]

Probably not until January. None of the pre-wave indicators have lit up. No "In Hand" Ebay auctions. No previews on the websites. Nothing int he Facebook group.

To be honest though, the majority of the Giants sold probably haven't even been played yet. Everyone, including me, there at launch at TRU was buying for Christmas gifts. I have quite the pile in the ole Christmas gift hidey-hole. And realistically, they are better off dropping it in January to all of the Christmas gift money and the relatively calm stores and news cycle to stand out.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but Giants is on a bunch of Santa lists.

Also: Terrabite is a Sidekick. Operates as a visual pet in the game, it comes from a Frito-Lay mail in promotion.

[quote name='defpally']
To be honest though, the majority of the Giants sold probably haven't even been played yet. Everyone, including me, there at launch at TRU was buying for Christmas gifts. I have quite the pile in the ole Christmas gift hidey-hole. And realistically, they are better off dropping it in January to all of the Christmas gift money and the relatively calm stores and news cycle to stand out.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but Giants is on a bunch of Santa lists.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make sense to me. For people who haven't opened the game yet why do they need to hold back on waves?

All they need to do after Christmas is make sure there are tons on the shelf (the more varieties the better - so it would be better to have them out already) so there isn't a repeat of last year (when every last Skylander disappeared within 3-4 days after Christmas and they didn't restock for a few weeks).

It's fine for one or even two waves to come out post-Christmas. But really they ought to have released something else by now, or certainly before Christmas. We still have 3 unreleased little ones (Hot Dog, Light Core Chill, Light Core Shroomboom) and 3 unreleased big ones. You'd think 1 of each of those could come out before January.

See the problem I have is that I do not have anything Skylanders-related to give the kids for Christmas. I am holding off on Chill and ShroomBoom till the lightcore variants come out. I just gave Fright Rider (and the Terrabite sidekick) to my son who's birthday was on Black Friday. For cripes sake, I had expected some new ones to come out before then, even, but there was squat... They better release something before Christmas at least.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I see the mistake I made. Terrafin is the one in the Pirate Seas pack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Terrabite is the mini-Terrafin. (Just like Giill Runt is mini Gill Grunt, Whisper Elf is mini Stealth Elf, and Trigger Snappy is mini Trigger Happy).

I guess I still have Whisper Elf to give the kids and I did pick up the gold Flameslinger from Amazon. But those aren't new figures that will get them all excited. My 2 year-old daughter gets mad at me whenever I come back in from a store and don't have Thumpback with me ;).

I just saw this warning on the Amazon listing for the single pack Series 2 figures:

Item Under Review

This item is currently unavailable because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

[quote name='io']That doesn't make sense to me. For people who haven't opened the game yet why do they need to hold back on waves?

All they need to do after Christmas is make sure there are tons on the shelf (the more varieties the better - so it would be better to have them out already) so there isn't a repeat of last year (when every last Skylander disappeared within 3-4 days after Christmas and they didn't restock for a few weeks).

It's fine for one or even two waves to come out post-Christmas. But really they ought to have released something else by now, or certainly before Christmas. We still have 3 unreleased little ones (Hot Dog, Light Core Chill, Light Core Shroomboom) and 3 unreleased big ones. You'd think 1 of each of those could come out before January.

See the problem I have is that I do not have anything Skylanders-related to give the kids for Christmas. I am holding off on Chill and ShroomBoom till the lightcore variants come out. I just gave Fright Rider (and the Terrabite sidekick) to my son who's birthday was on Black Friday. For cripes sake, I had expected some new ones to come out before then, even, but there was squat... They better release something before Christmas at least.[/QUOTE]

Ok, look at it this way. You have quite a few figures already out. Not counting variants there are 5 giants, 7 new singles, 4 lightcore and 16 reposes on the shelves. Add in the store variants/legendaries for another 10 or so. This can be considered "stuff already out". Now, their primary customer right now are parents buying Christmas presents. Another wave means a few more of each one. The vast majority of parents that are getting Skylanders are going to be more like my neighbor that bought the Starter and 4-5 singles (mix of old and new) than like us that have everything out so far. My neighbor is done with Skylanders for Christmas, a new wave means nothing to him, it's just more figures just like the ones already out - in other words, more "stuff already out". I picked him up a Wham Shell at TRU on BF because I knew his son would love it, but to him it was just another figure to toss in the box.

Come Christmas you now have a whole bunch of kids with gift cards from granny ready to spend. They got Giants from their parents, and unlike their parents they know what they want. A new Wave means something to them, as it does to us. Now do you think Activision wants to blow the publicity of a new Wave on a few of us and a bunch of parents that don't care and have already bought from the large selection already available? Or do you wait until January when you still have us AND all of those kids with the game now AND with gift cards to spend on it?

Don't get me wrong, I would like a new Wave as much as you would. I was fortunate enough to be able to resist and not give it to the boys before Christmas, but I totally understand your situation. I just keep reminding myself I am not the typical consumer of Skylanders (or video games in general). And the fact that Viewtiful Joe 3 is very much wishful thinking is a constant reminder of that what works for me isn't always the best business plan for a game company :lol:.

[quote name='io']It's fine for one or even two waves to come out post-Christmas. But really they ought to have released something else by now, or certainly before Christmas. We still have 3 unreleased little ones (Hot Dog, Light Core Chill, Light Core Shroomboom) and 3 unreleased big ones. You'd think 1 of each of those could come out before January.[/QUOTE]

I'm in a similar boat. I am waiting on LC Shroomboom, LC Pop Fizz (you forgot him) and Legendary LC Chill. I would really like to wait on the Scarlet Ninjini because
I like that model better, but we will see how that gets released. It is pretty much a slam dunk that Hot Dog will be in the other Battle Pack, so unless you want the Molten version of him, that's going to be the only way to get him.

I am glad that somebody bought all of my series 1 figures that got reposed for a good price on eBay, because with that money I am able to get the series 2 characters at very little cost and they really are better. Switching paths is so useful and much more fun. The Wow Pows are very cool on some of the characters as well. I will not get sucked into buying multiple versions of the same character anymore, but I want the "best" version, or at least my favorite version, of each of the 48 characters. If you are not buying series 2 characters I can understand feeling like they haven't released much, but if you are getting the series 2 characters, there is a lot out there. It was odd of them to have wave 2 follow wave 1 so quickly as that is what really is causing so much impatience.

Just came back from the store and they had copies of Warnado, Camo, and Voodood there but only one of each. Went for them since I knew those ones are hard to find and $8.96 a piece wasn't bad.

Apparently Gamestop will be getting the next wave first. Their Facebook page has just posted a picture of the Scorpion Striker/Zap/Hot Dog Battle Pack: http://www.facebook.com/GameStop

It will be releasing in January, and they will be the first to have it according to their page. It also means that (at least for now) he will not be in a single pack as some hoped, or out this month. You can also pre-order it.

Man, any way to get those 4 side kick figures anymore? Just got into the first Skylanders now and would love to have them. Not really prepared to pay eBay prices.

I've never played sky landers, but been considering it lately. Is it more of a kid game or can it be a generally fun/entertaining game. Wanted to hear their opinion from a CAG

Saw a 3 pack of lightcore figures at Target. $30, had Drobot, Euruptor and Prizm Break.

Passed on it and picked up Granite Crusher. Dont even have the game yet to use it.

[quote name='GHmanRON']I've never played sky landers, but been considering it lately. Is it more of a kid game or can it be a generally fun/entertaining game. Wanted to hear their opinion from a CAG[/QUOTE]

It is a really fun game. There's nothing really to it but leveling up the characters is a blast and of course the different figurines are pretty neat. I've played a few nights by myself but I definitely enjoy it more playing co-op with my son. Also, you only need 1 Skylander from each set to get the full experience (so 8 of them).

[quote name='GHmanRON']I've never played sky landers, but been considering it lately. Is it more of a kid game or can it be a generally fun/entertaining game. Wanted to hear their opinion from a CAG[/QUOTE]

You can tell it is definitely directed towards kids, but I still had a ton of fun with it. I enjoyed it enough to stick it out and get all of the achievements, not that it was a tough 1000/1000 or anything, I just thought it was really fun. I'm looking forward to picking up Giants eventually, as well.

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']Man, any way to get those 4 side kick figures anymore? Just got into the first Skylanders now and would love to have them. Not really prepared to pay eBay prices.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, unless you are into the collecting Sidekicks are worthless. They do nothing except bounce around the person closest to them. You can only have one out at a time (so both players cannot have one), and they give no benefit unlike the Adventure/Battle Pack items.

You guys know of any level in Giants that can yield lots of money a run? Or perhaps just the best way to accumulate good money easy? I didn't know you could exploit the gems on the top of the ship after beating the game for the first time (yields around 8kish and you could dashboard/restart and keep getting it so anyone who hasn't beat it yet there you go) so I screwed myself over for that method.

I haven't looked into it much asides from getting the 300 gems from the top and then entering a challenge w/ Cali then immediately quitting so it spans me back on the ship with a fresh supply of gems on the top. There's also that room with the skystones player and merchant that you have access by using a Skylander of every element, gets me about a 1000 but I'm not a fan of constantly switching between them and then doing a challenge/exiting to do this process over and over. Haven't tested it but I'm sure the 300 method is probably faster than this even though it's a 300 - 1000 comparison.

Going for the achievement for the 65k money, that's why I'm asking.

Looks like TRU might have wave 3 before Christmas. One of the highlights that I saw for 12/23 ad stated "Skylander Giants Wave 3 available". I don't want to say definite until I see the physical ad.

Looks like TRU is starting to get a little of the "older" stuff back in stock. I've been by a couple that have the Warnado/Camo/Ignitor 3 pack for $20 (and the B1G1 50% off gaming works on Skylanders) so I picked one up

SI

bread's done
Back