Slim PS2 model owners - any problems yet?

Santorum X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
I am thinking about purchasing the slimmer model PS2 this week because my 1 1/2 year old, model 39001 got the dreaded DRE and I am sending it back for a replacement one. I figured I buy the newer model, and once I receive the replacement console I'll just sell that one. But I have heard the slimmer models have a share of their own problems and I wonder if any of you CAGs have experienced such problems yet. Thanks.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Just a problem with Jak 3, but friends of mine have had the same problem on their old model PS2.[/quote]

What was the problem?

On some cutscenes it would get stuck and not load, just leave a black screen with looping audio until I pushed triangle to skip the movie.

I think it's a problem with the game's engine though, not the consoles.

Got mine a about 2 months ago. Everything has worked fine, just for some reason it won't save my PSone game settings (the disc speed and smooth texture thing), so I have to reconfigure them everytime I need to use them. Not really a big pain, but worth mentioning.

One big problem--I have to find the new multitap to play fourplayer which sucks the big one. But definitely worth a purchase, I'm glad I traded in my old one for it (especially since that one had broken twice and this one's got no DREs in sight).

no problems at all, i have heard of heating problems for extended periods of play, however, i have left mine on for hours or been playing for hours, and nothing happend
but i do love the new console..go for it :), when u sell the old one, dont forget 2 include some cheap games in the auction (presuming ur ebaying it) to get more bids :D good luck

[quote name='dd_mcdoodle']Got mine a about 2 months ago. Everything has worked fine, just for some reason it won't save my PSone game settings (the disc speed and smooth texture thing), so I have to reconfigure them everytime I need to use them. Not really a big pain, but worth mentioning.[/quote]

My regular PS2 never did that... I dont recall it EVER saving those settings, and technically it shouldn't since not every PSone game reacts well to it.

nope. couldn't be more pleased with it. if you're picking up a new one from EB, get their warranty for $15. that way, just before the year is up, you can go and switch it out for a new one, even if there's nothing specifically wrong with it, it just resets the wear and tear.

[quote name='arsenalgear']One big problem--I have to find the new multitap to play fourplayer which sucks the big one. But definitely worth a purchase, I'm glad I traded in my old one for it (especially since that one had broken twice and this one's got no DREs in sight).[/quote]

I do believe ther eis like a $5 adapter you can buy so that you can continue to use your old one

Sony seems to have figured out a way to detect - and thus refuse to use - some third party PS1 memory cards.

(does anybody know where I can get cheap 1st party ones, or performance brand cards? these seem to work).

Mine is okay so far. Although sometimes the ps2 will feel a little hot and i wil turn it offf. This happens only once in a while. It also does not help that it is so small and thin that i am constantly thinking i will break it.

bread's done
Back