SNES Classic Discussion Thread

After reading about how someone managed to get the NES Classic to work as a SNES Classic (edit: same interface to clarify, and games, not what was done previously), it feels like i'm just paying for a different shell and 2 controllers now. Not that it wasn't expected, Nintendo didn't even bother to attempt to make it challenging. Oh well, still can't wait to get it Friday.
Well supposedly we're getting the "Real" version of Star Fox 2, not the half finished rom that was floating around.

I do hope someone points out the side by side differences.

Well supposedly we're getting the "Real" version of Star Fox 2, not the half finished rom that was floating around.

Yeah, I was trying to leave the ROM talk out but it's already been dumped.

My shipping notice from Best Buy happened pretty late today, but it still says it will be delivered on the 29th. Here's hoping!

The review footage look pretty much exactly like the ROM floating around. And the scores are just about in line with what would be an appropriate score for the ROM version. Anyone buying this for Starfox 2 is going to be disappointed, it really isn't a good game and it isn't just because of the primitive framerate/graphics. The gameplay is on par with an average mobile game. And BTW, I love the original Starfox (still) so I'm not biased against it due to aesthetics.

Has anyone walmart order went out yet?

I want to cancel my Amazon UK order at the same time I don't want to be stuck without one.

Edit: if anyone want my amazon uk order just contact me otherwise i'm canceling it at midnight. 

Whatever the default price is just pay on that + shipping 

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading about how someone managed to get the NES Classic to work as a SNES Classic (edit: same interface to clarify, and games, not what was done previously), it feels like i'm just paying for a different shell and 2 controllers now. Not that it wasn't expected, Nintendo didn't even bother to attempt to make it challenging. Oh well, still can't wait to get it Friday.
That's all this ever was.

But the authentic controllers, and to a lesser extent the appearance of the system, go a long ways towards getting those OG console gaming feels.

Cancelled my German Amazon pre-order because Reggie told me to. I hope my US Amazon order comes through. Sucks that with these high stock numbers we won't get them day 1 from Amazon. You would think that if they accepted the preorders that means that they have the right amount. Also would suck ass if they put them up and puddles who have prime get them before those ofsus who ordered way back when they went up.

It's not just, "feels like," that is a fact. People have already taken the SNES classic apart to find that the insides are exactly the same as the one in the NES Classic. In short, you are buying the same thing as the NES Classic, but inside a different casing and for $10 more.

Article link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-snes-mini-teardown-confirmed-recycled-nes-mini-tech

The SF2 rom is already up on some sites, so basically if you have an NES Classic, you could (if you haven't already) made it into an SNES Classic.

I already had little interest in this thing, and now this pretty much puts at zero.

The graphics on the 21 games should look better than they do on the “specially augmented” NES Classic. BTW I was the first to discover the TRU Classics this summer and still have one that I would trade for a Euro version. A couple of people inboxed me. If you are still interested please let me know.

I dunno about you guys, but I'm more excited to get my PAL snes classic more than anything. Hurray for getting a colorful mini super famicom. I hope it ships.

BestBuy is now cancelling orders of more than one, it allowed 3 quantity i think originally
YxhCJAR.jpg

Sadly, one of the two I had for pickup at my local Best Buy was cancelled. Should have probably kept one for shipping and the other pickup but I changed it shortly after they went on sale. 

This just means some poor soul that will be waiting outside the store will get a chance to get the one that was on the way to that store for me, or means that an employee saw an opportunity to get one for themselves. I'm hoping it goes to someone who truly needed/wanted it. I had some plans to give the second one out to someone in my circle of friends/family who will undoubtedly want one but doesn't know it yet for the holiday season. 

Amazon uk, fr shipped I was worried about Amazon uk cancelling about me changing my address twice. and best buy shipped my USA preorder. so now I can ask to trade my extra Europe snes for a nes mini

I wonder if all those "I'll trade someone my NES clsasic for a SNES classic" people from a couple months ago are going to follow through with their agreements?  If you agreed to a trade with someone, you better follow through with it. 

People ought to put anyone who backs out of trade on blast in here, calling them out by name. 

I dunno about you guys, but I'm more excited to get my PAL snes classic more than anything. Hurray for getting a colorful mini super famicom. I hope it ships.
I prefer the controller button colors of the Super Famicom, but I'm one of the weird ones that actually likes the US design. The Super Famicom design is just too basic and "functional" looking.

Amazon uk says dispatching now. Delivery date list oct 3-10. I selected global expedited shipping.anyone have experience with amazon uk know how long it’ll take?

Seriously?
Someone dumped the new/final version already? Should have known heh.
I think he meant the one that has been floating around for a while that was claimed by the developer to be only about 90-95% complete. From the video I have seen it hasn't changed much, seems pretty much exactly like the one I played a while back. I actually doubt nintendo put much effort into polishing it, probably just focused on the bugs (which it didn't seem to have many at all). The manpower with the SNES coding expertise is probably slim pickings these days, and Dylan Cuthbert and the others weren't involved he said.

Thanks for sharing this strategy. My local store was close to the top stores listed, so I think the 19 I was told by the manager is either BS or they’re still waiting on a shipment.

Edit: Sorting Brickseek by quantity seems to simply list stores in alphabetical order.
Yep that's what I realized when I went back and looked again. Still had very high numbers at a few of those stores. Although, another store showed up with 196. That store, which is where I got my NES Classic on launch day, had 89 NES Classics on launch day by comparison. A City Target that had only a single case of 6 NES Classics on launch day was the lowest inventory for SNESC I saw at 54

6.19 Miles
Available Qty: 196 Price: $79.99

I think he meant the one that has been floating around for a while that was claimed by the developer to be only about 90-95% complete. From the video I have seen it hasn't changed much, seems pretty much exactly like the one I played a while back. I actually doubt nintendo put much effort into polishing it, probably just focused on the bugs (which it didn't seem to have many at all). The manpower with the SNES coding expertise is probably slim pickings these days, and Dylan Cuthbert and the others weren't involved he said.
Well it sounded like the 100% version was done but never dumped to rom/cartridge.. so they could have just used that.

Don't quote me.

Amazon uk says dispatching now. Delivery date list oct 3-10. I selected global expedited shipping.anyone have experience with amazon uk know how long it’ll take?
My Amazon UK preorder just shipped too, although I chose standard shipping. Amazon lists an ETA of 10/13 and the package is being handled by UPS i-parcel.

No I meant from the SNES Classic. All the discussion can be found on Reddit.

What's the best order to hit up stores with fallbacks on Friday?

Is the general thinking Walmart -> Best Buy -> Target -> Gamestop?

Kinda thinking I'll fallback to Gamestop from Target, anyone know if Target's going to cap the line?

I wonder if all those "I'll trade someone my NES clsasic for a SNES classic" people from a couple months ago are going to follow through with their agreements? If you agreed to a trade with someone, you better follow through with it.

People ought to put anyone who backs out of trade on blast in here, calling them out by name.
I still want to trade my spare NES Classic for a SNES Classic European version, and I'm sticking to it.

What's the best order to hit up stores with fallbacks on Friday?

Is the general thinking Walmart -> Best Buy -> Target -> Gamestop?

Kinda thinking I'll fallback to Gamestop from Target, anyone know if Target's going to cap the line?
Gamestop vs Toys R Us? My local Target opens at 8 AM. But both GS and TRU both are located in the same shopping center.

Given this is the same hardware and software iteration, I expect that (if not already) the kernel for the SNES classic will be on the Net, meaning people should be able to essentially drag and drop that onto the NES classic -- and viola - have the SNES classic on the NES classic. Just pick up some third-party SNES wireless controllers and you're all set.

Not sure what to do. Have 1 pre ordered at GameStop. My original plan was to wait in line for a 2nd to trade for a NES classic, now it seems like they might not be that hard to find. Have 2 24hr Walmart's and another that opens at 6am.

What is going on with Amazon? Do they have 0 stock or what? I assume at least some of us would be getting them in time but seems they won't be shipping any of them anytime soon. Maybe they will ship them all tomorrow.

What is going on with Amazon? Do they have 0 stock or what? I assume at least some of us would be getting them in time but seems they won't be shipping any of them anytime soon. Maybe they will ship them all tomorrow.
That's probably exactly what's going on. Either they have 0 stock or very little. If they get a shipment, it probably won't be until end of week or next week.

Thinking of going to Gamestop on Friday and getting one but not interested in sifting through a mob or waiting in line or anything. Shouldnt be that crazy, right?

So it turns out they did deactivate my red card and I didn't even activate the forced "upgraded" MasterCard they gave me. Looks like my preorder will be lost when they try to charge it. Called target cs and wasted 2 hours getting bounced to multiple people saying another department could help when they couldn't. Online cs is nice but one lady in offshore redcard services was really rude and just angrily repeated her script that she can activate my new card and hung up on me.

Was really going to cancel my redcard but can't give up 5% for bad service. Also read in the insert the new redcard has warranty doubling and price protection which was one of the few deficiencies about the old redcard.
I'm sorry to hear this. That horrible customer service experience sounds frustrating as all hell. That was my worst fear with my Target order. I put off activating that mastercard that I never fuck ing asked for. My order shipped on the 26th, but it has no tracking yet. The estimated delivery date is Oct 6th. I'm still not activating that damn card until I have an SNES controller in my hands playing some games.

I just read this has the same guts as the Mini NES Classic just different casing. I’m still on the fence but after reading this I think I’m passing up on my impulsiveness lol.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-snes-mini-teardown-confirmed-recycled-nes-mini-tech
I do not understand. Is this a troll post? Is this a legitimate complaint?

It's not just, "feels like," that is a fact. People have already taken the SNES classic apart to find that the insides are exactly the same as the one in the NES Classic. In short, you are buying the same thing as the NES Classic, but inside a different casing and for $10 more.

Article link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-snes-mini-teardown-confirmed-recycled-nes-mini-tech

The SF2 rom is already up on some sites, so basically if you have an NES Classic, you could (if you haven't already) made it into an SNES Classic.

I already had little interest in this thing, and now this pretty much puts at zero.
I'm not trying to be facetious. I seriously do not understand what you are explaining. Can you please help me understand?

This is what I'm understanding so far. Nintendo was supposed to spend unnecessary time and money designing a new system from scratch because this system has 16 bit roms instead of 8 bit roms? Just about any old PC from this century can run these roms. What we are paying for is the plastic SNES casing. I assume that Nintendo is a business that wants to make a profit. Why would they spend money on a new design if they don't have to? If they increase spending on designing new components, that spending would decrease revenue. Companies like to increase revenue.

If you want to turn your NES classic into an SNES classic to save $80, that's a good idea to save spending $80. I grew up playing the SNES and would happily pay $80+tax for the nostalgic casing that brings back good memories of my childhood.

The SNES classic is $20 more. I could be incorrect (about many things in this post) but I think some people who want 2 controllers don't mind paying $20 more this time.

Please correct me if I misunderstood anything. I welcome criticism. I am truly curious about this. Maybe I am over analyzing a couple joke posts.

I'm sorry to hear this. That horrible customer service experience sounds frustrating as all hell. That was my worst fear with my Target order. I put off activating that mastercard that I never fuck ing asked for. My order shipped on the 26th, but it has no tracking yet. The estimated delivery date is Oct 6th. I'm still not activating that damn card until I have an SNES controller in my hands playing some games.
As long as you don't activate it until it ships, you should be fine. But they will auto-deactivate it for you 30 days after they send the new card, which for me just happened to be the day before it would have shipped...

So my order shipped out from Target yesterday. It's coming through FedEx Smartpost with a projected delivery date of October 7th...

Well, this is one of those rare moments where I am happy that there is a delay. My bank had to issue me a new card recently, and I completely forgot this was coming on Friday. So because of the delay, I was able to switch my payment method without issues. Whew!!!

Order from Amazon UK shipped, err dispatched. Expected delivery Oct 14.

Amazon US order still contemplating the meaning of life, the soul, and the self.

My Amazon UK order shipped - expected by 13th.

I will probably try and get a US one tmrw and return the UK but it's nice to know I have one coming.

Anyone’s Walmart preorder shipped yet? I got in on that and then later got the email on Sept 1st saying it would arrive by Fri Sept. 29th. I haven’t had any updates since then.

bread's done
Back