SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash for DS $9.99 @ Amazon

with the $64 question being: Are they merely clearancing out old stock of the death-bug version, or are these all the rehabbed & updated version. ???

other than play the game, is there any difference in the box with the corrected version?, I may buy this game, but with the backlog of games that I have (thanks to all deals from CAG!!!!), I am not sure when I will be able to play it...

There is no way to tell from just the box. Hopefully whoever buy it will let us know what version this is.

What's the death bug, and by fixing it did it improve the game dramatically? I saw the game scored very poorly in reviews, which disappointed me considering I was a big fan of the first two for the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

[quote name='doodofdoods']What's the death bug, and by fixing it did it improve the game dramatically? I saw the game scored very poorly in reviews, which disappointed me considering I was a big fan of the first two for the Neo Geo Pocket Color.[/QUOTE]

DEATH BUG

in the first copies the death bug was the 2nd time you went up the tower the game would freeze on the 9th floor meaning you couldnt get all of the cards

everything else is the same. they just removed that bug and you can now climb the tower as many times as you want

the game is very easy. its VERY WORTH 10 bucks since you will get at least 15 hours . i beat the game once but had no interested in climbing the tower teh 2nd time ..... i still have it and maybe one day i will return to it

[quote name='doodofdoods']What's the death bug, and by fixing it did it improve the game dramatically? I saw the game scored very poorly in reviews, which disappointed me considering I was a big fan of the first two for the Neo Geo Pocket Color.[/quote] the bug occurred when you attempted to revisit John on the 9th floor. the story makes you do this, but doing this crashes the game.

if anyone does end up with a glitched-up version (supposedly you can tell via the sticker on the game, if the background is greyed-out then you have the "good" version, if it's color than you are outta luck), this is the website to exchange it:

http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/recall.php

and if you enjoyed the first SNK/Capcom on NGPC (or were lucky enough to play the 2nd) you will certainly enjoy this. i logged many hours before the glitch was uncovered. i'm hoping this time around nets me a good cart.

[quote name='doodofdoods']What's the death bug, and by fixing it did it improve the game dramatically? I saw the game scored very poorly in reviews, which disappointed me considering I was a big fan of the first two for the Neo Geo Pocket Color.[/quote]
If I remember correctly, after beating the Game you would unlock another mode/difficulty. When playing through in that mode the game would crash or hang at a certain point and the Player couldn't progress any further.

If you are planning to play this game all the way through trying to get 100% on the whole game, those are the only ones that should worry about the Death Bug.

Edit: According to the game's Wiki, it only occurs playing through the game a second time. As stated by slidecage and punkviper, talking to Jon on the 9th floor crashes the game.

I got the bug version from TRU a while back and sent it in to SNK and they had my replacement back within 10 days. I was shocked at how quickly they replaced it figuring on at least 30 days. They also sent it back with a pack of King of Fighters trading cards.

True you do have to pay the shipping costs to send it back to SNK, so that does tack some unneeded costs to the deal.

How much is it to ship back? Just like mailing a letter? Sometimes the post office are total assholes if your package weighs a mouse turd's worth of weight over the limit. I got a GBA cart returned once claiming it was too heavy.

Amazon shouldn't be selling these if they are bugged. Further, SNK should have recalled the copies on the market. While it's nice they replace it, it's not cool that they leave a product that needs to be replaced on the market.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']How much is it to ship back? Just like mailing a letter? Sometimes the post office are total assholes if your package weighs a mouse turd's worth of weight over the limit. I got a GBA cart returned once claiming it was too heavy.

Amazon shouldn't be selling these if they are bugged. Further, SNK should have recalled the copies on the market. While it's nice they replace it, it's not cool that they leave a product that needs to be replaced on the market.[/quote]
Agreed, but I can see why they might do it this way. I doubt the game is making them millions, and to do a recall from their end, they would probably have to pay shipping from every store - GS, Amazon, Wal-Mart, TRU - and that's a lot of shipping. Then, ship out the new games, and HOPE they sell well enough to cover all of that. I'm sure they asked the stores to be kind enough to ship back on their dime, but I'm betting the stores just said no. So, consumers basically get screwed, but I can see how it would be way too much trouble to do a real recall on a game like this; problem is for the customers that buy the game and never check out why their copy stopped working, and never heard about the recall.

Well, I'm in, even if I have to exchange it for the non-bugged version. I didn't even know this game was out. Guess I overlooked it due to its rather low review scores.

I'm jumping on this TWO TIMES.
I've been waiting for this game to drop a while, even though everyone says it isn't as good as the first two.

[quote name='jaybird']I got mine in today and it's the bad version. :([/QUOTE]

Crud. Well, thanks for letting us know :(

I'll buy this if I end up buying other stuff on amazon, if I get the bad version I will just send it in for a replacement copy, costs less than 2$ to mail out a DS game even with the case.

great price, why worry about the bug? if you happen to get a bugged version, just send it back to SNK for a replacement. no big deal.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I just don't want to have to deal with all that,[/quote] Because printing out a form and mailing a package is a lot to deal with?

plus it raises the real price of the game.
Because raising the price a whole $0.41-$3 is wallet breaking?

If you have a buggy version, and send it in, do they transfer over your save file?

If the bug kicks in at the 9th floor the second time through, I'm about to find out if mines bad (I'm at the 8th floor). I'll send it in, but if they can't transfer the save file, I'm probably not going to replay through the whole thing.

[quote name='Apathy']If you have a buggy version, and send it in, do they transfer over your save file?

If the bug kicks in at the 9th floor the second time through, I'm about to find out if mines bad (I'm at the 8th floor). I'll send it in, but if they can't transfer the save file, I'm probably not going to replay through the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

you can see if you cart is bad by just looking at the cart label.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']you can see if you cart is bad by just looking at the cart label.[/quote]

Ah, I missed that part about the grey label being the fixed one... mine has the black/colored background, so I guess this is the buggy version.

Although, I've spent a fair amount of time playing (before I knew about the bug) so I'm still interested in finding out if anyone knows if SNK will transfer over the saved files.

I don't think I've ever played (or wanted to play) a card-battle game before. but for $9 and my love of capcom makes this sort of tempting...
Is there story involved or just nerdy card battling?

There's a very thin story line... but it's mostly just card battling. I'd never played a card battle game before, so was hesitant about playing this, but it's pretty addictive (although a few of the levels are really annoying when you have to give someone a particular card, which can take a while).

Crap I got a bugged one too. It took me a whole day just for SNK's stupid webpage to work so I could register the game in order to qualify for a replacement. Actually, I think the site only started working after I sent them an e-mail about it failing to load.

Damn. I would've picked it up. Always wanted to play the NGPC versions. And sending the bugged card back wouldn't bother me one bit.

I think there's a homebrew program that lets you back up your DS saves and copy them back onto the cart. I'm too busy/lazy to reasearch this.

I actually picked this up at launch for ~ $18 on eBay. $10 is a steal, it is hella fun, especially if you have local friends to play with. Unfortunately, I was a big CCG junkie way back when, so I pretty much outmatched the friend who got me started playing this game and it got boring/frustrating quickly.

I mailed mine out. Slapped two stamps on just to be sure. I played a little first and the learning curve seems kinda steep and the rules a little too convoluted, where I fear it might not be as fun as the previous games because of that.

I ordered one today and i have a feeling it'll be the defected version. ah well, i'm waiting for the 360 repair box to arrive and the rock band strat box to arrive, i think if i can wait for those (to get fixed and come back...) then i'm ok with mailing back the defective SVC game lol.

Out of stock, and I'm fine with skipping it. I don't want to have to mess with the stupid return process, and anyway the original sounds like it's better from everything I've read. SNK did an amazing job messing this up (probably the last game from them I would have had any interest in playing).

[quote name='kp_assman']anyone use a shipping method besides "slapping on two stamps?" how about priority mail?[/quote]

It's just a little game cart that is going to be destroyed when it arrives. You don't need to ship it in a wooden crate filled with foam peanuts. Just send it in an envelope.

From SNK's CS rep, when I asked about if the save file will be transfered over:

"Ok…then send it in. Here’s the link to the recall page. www.snkplaymoreusa.com/recall.php
Although the recall has ended, I still have a few copies of the fixed version which I can send you.
Also, unfortunately your save game file will not be transferred."

*sigh* I don't think I'll end up investing the time to play through it again.

Um, there wasn't anything on the website about the recall "ending". I just sent my cart in - they'd better replace it!

[quote name='jrutz']Um, there wasn't anything on the website about the recall "ending". I just sent my cart in - they'd better replace it![/QUOTE]

What a joke :bomb:

I'm just not messing with this, unless they at least stick it on the OUTSIDE of the case somewhere that it's a fixed version. As far as I'm concerned, this is BY FAR the best game SNK has released in years, and possibly the best game they'll ever release going forward, so I'm ticked what a low quality job they've done with the translation and recall/etc. I suppose I should be happy they bothered brining it out here at all, but still.

Well crap , is the recall over with cuz my wife just sent my copy to me and yes its the bugged version!!! My only problem is that im in iraq!!!! They hav certain restrictions about sending stuff thru the mail here , but mail coming into country they really dont scan. I guess ill hav to check on it. But id like to play it for the time being , so it only crashes at a certain point in the game , on the 2nd time thru , i just might tough it out and keep it then!!!

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']Well crap , is the recall over with cuz my wife just sent my copy to me and yes its the bugged version!!! My only problem is that im in iraq!!!! They hav certain restrictions about sending stuff thru the mail here , but mail coming into country they really dont scan. I guess ill hav to check on it. But id like to play it for the time being , so it only crashes at a certain point in the game , on the 2nd time thru , i just might tough it out and keep it then!!![/quote]
First off - thank you for doing the job you do.

The recall is still valid. You'll just have to go to http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/recall.php and follow what they have outlined.

The bug is as someone above said - where on your second playthrough you talk to someone and it locks the game.

bread's done
Back