So....who is actually excited for the PS3?

For me, the $600 price tag single handedly killed my willingness to purchase the PS3. I still believe the hardware has great potential. Heck, I can't wait for Metal Gear Solid 4! But I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a console. I had a difficult enough time spending $400 on the 360 and after the allure of PGR3 and DOA4 wore out, all I ended up playing on the 360 was UNO.

In hindsight, I would have waited until this Christmas to purchase a 360. Now that I have learned that lesson I will probably apply what I have learned to my next PlayStation purchase.

Do we know how region free the PS3 is going to be yet? Is it going to be a'la carte like the 360, all PS3 games, or all PS3, 2 and 1 games? I would cum popsicle sticks if that was the case and sell the splinters for a PS3.

If the USA PS3 could play Japanese PS2 games, that'd be very awesome. :) I'd love me some Japanese DDR's.

Yeah I'm excited for the PS3. I'm planning to get the premium and Resistance. This will be my first time ever buying a launch console. If I just didn't recently buy an hdtv then I wouldn't even have bother with it. But if somehow I don't get my hands on the PS3, I'll have to end up getting an Xbox 360.

Quick question for people who do buy launch consoles. When/if your launch console have a defect and breaks down, do Sony fix it for free or they gonna charge u for it?

[quote name='989boi']Quick question for people who do buy launch consoles. When/if your launch console have a defect and breaks down, do Sony fix it for free or they gonna charge u for it?[/quote]

It will have at least a 3-Month warranty, so yes.

[quote name='989boi']But if somehow I don't get my hands on the PS3, I'll have to end up getting an Xbox 360. [/QUOTE]
Get prepared to ask for two days off of work so you can get a good place in line.

Or

You could just buy the 360 now.

[quote name='Trakan']It will have at least a 3-Month warranty, so yes.[/QUOTE]

3 months?? Whoa thats not long enough for me.

[quote name='989boi']3 months?? Whoa thats not long enough for me.[/quote]

You'll be able to purchase an extended warranty I'm sure.

I'm very excited about it. If I can actually manage to snag one at launch, I have credit set aside with Resistance, Genji 2 & MotorStorm written all over it. I'm almost equally excited about playing around with the hardware itself & seeing what all it will do as I am about the games. The PSP tie-ins seem very promising (I'm still hoping for the system to act as a location-free player), and they've promised quite a few additional bells & whistles that should be nice. Heck, I'll have a blu-ray movie or two most likely. :)

It's funny, as much as some people around here are convinced that that $600 will be a waste of money, I'm equally convinced the $200 (or whatever it ends up being) for the Wii is a waste. And that "awesome launch lineup" is part of my fears. Going on Nintendo's console track record for the last 10 years or so, after Zelda, Mario & Metroid hit what exactly will you have for the next year from them? Or two years?

[quote name='furyk']Do we know how region free the PS3 is going to be yet? Is it going to be a'la carte like the 360, all PS3 games, or all PS3, 2 and 1 games? I would cum popsicle sticks if that was the case and sell the splinters for a PS3.[/QUOTE]

If it ends up totally region free for regular PS3 AND earlier PS2 as well as PS I'll definitely end up buying the $600 version, but mainly for that and will be waiting on the launch titles to drop while I'm playing some imported PS2 titles instead.
If it ends up like the 360 is now with Asian versions cheaper and paralleling what's offered in the American market I'll probably buy a Japanese PS3 and not even waste my money on the American version which I won't get as much use out of.

I am excited for new Ratchet and Clank games, but I have no interest in MGS, God of War, or most other Sony exclusives. I'll wait until a price drop.

I'm in no rush to get it. I'm sure it will be a great system (once all the bugs are worked out; my brother is stuck with a launch PS2 with occassional DRE problems).

Luckily, I still have plenty current gen games I have yet to even open :) Just started Paper Mario: TTYD, and with games like Indigo Prophecy, PoP: WW, Phoenix Wright, Castlevania: DoS, Halo (beat the 2nd, have yet to touch the first), and Gunstar Super Heroes (among others) still sitting sealed next to my systems, I've got enough to hold me over while the system is fixed up.

Having said all that, I'm sure the PS3 has great potential, and I do plan to get one eventually. But I will have my Wii the day Super Smash Bros: Brawl comes out, or cities will crumble :)

Im excited to play the kiosk to see how the PS3 really turns out...as far as buying one..im thinking 2nd qt of 07 or xmas 07(price drop)

[quote name='TH3 SOPRANOS']of course i want one but am not getting one untill its $200 maybe $300. Bluray does not make me want to spend $600.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that right about now it's looking like a pretty shitty technology right now. They haven't managed to reliably dual layer the discs or by extension given Sony's very shitty success rate at it, quad layer I'm assuming the same too. Also the fact that what I heard was they didn't pull off good scratch protection when TDK was saying they were going to put on a layer to prevent this which didn't ship with the original and perhaps further batch of discs. Even ignoring all these massive problems which were suppose to be dealt with Sony is using the MPEG2 codec which is proving to take up too much space to produce a QUALITY, artifact free picture at the res. of 1080p or maybe even lower. So now Sony has to go back and change it to MPEG4 or that codec that HD-DVD is doing or pull off BD-50 reliably. Also I've heard the MS copyright setup that Sony is using will make the picture look shittier than HD-DVD anyway, someone can confirm or deny this for me.
Now looking at HD-DVD, they've pulled off a picture that everyone think looks great, companies don't have to completely rehaul their equipment and it just requires some minor modifications to get them to press HD-DVD's. Also to my knowledge I get the impression they can reliably dual layer the discs which leads to 5 gigs. more storage than Blu-Ray can do at the current time and can triple layer them as well though I don't know how reliably, you'd have to ask ruined for the facts there. Given all this all Blu-Ray is going to end up being if the Format War ends as it should, is an exclusive, large optical media storage format for the PS3.
About the only reason I'd buy the $600 version is for the above reasons and for the fact I would like to run my games through the HDMI port.

I'm not excited about the PS3 at all, on the contrary, I hope SONY falls flat on it's face with this one. I have been through 2 PSOnes and 3 PS2's since SONY entered the gaming industry. They have shown me over the years that their console reliability is nearly at rock bottom. I am NOT going to hand over $1000 to SONY for a PS3 and a few games to play on it, only to have it crap out on me 2 days after the warranty expires. Also, unless you have unlimited financial resources, the cost of the games for it (I'm going to predict a cost of $75-80 each) will make it impossible for any normal working man to amass any kind of game library for it.

No thanks SONY....I'll pass this time around. :whistle2:x

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

[quote name='AshesofWake']i can't wait for MGS4, don't really care for the console itself though...[/QUOTE]

Same here!

No, not for the system but yes for the games.

Now let me get this straight. I’m a Nintendo fan boy who owns a PS2 and a PSP. I only own them because of a few games I HAD TO HAVE. Metal gear Solid games, Final Fantasy and IcoTeam Games.
I don’t care about anything else (blu-ray) but the games.

So naturally I don’t want a PS3 BUT I do need Metal Gear Solid 4. I can live without the new Final Fantasies and Assassin which I will probably one day buy on the PC. I can’t live without MGS4, especially since MGS3 is my favorite game of all time.

So while I would be willing to spend 200$ on MGS4.…….. I would not spend more than 300-400 on a PS3. I’m getting a Wii at launch and I don’t even acknowledge the existence of the 360. Ya it has great games but they do nothing for me and if they do, I can get them on the PC.

Maybe in three to four years, the PS3 will cost 400$ and I’ll pick it up so I can finally play MGS4. Yet somehow I doubt this is how it’s going to happen. I can still dream though.

OH and for PS2 region free backward capability…….that’d be sweet. I’d finally be able to play the copy of REZ I have.

bread's done
Back