Sony E3 Press Conference Discussion - Price & Date Revealed!

[quote name='Zoglog']not a bad price for a blu ray player and a game console in november. [/QUOTE]

Yeah those $10 target dvd's I get are gonna look great on blue-ray for only $600 bucks more. Especially after I drop another $3000 on a tv that makes them look nice.

I loved Warhawk on the psone and have really been hoping for some kind of sequal but let me say the guy looked completely retarded playing it with that controller , the fact that he couldn't even land it straight really makes me think they should give these people a test run if they want to showcase a controller feature.

I think i'll prob go for the 20GB one. Honestly I don't know why people expected it to be 400. Blu ray players cost 999 currently. This one has that, cell processor, and the RSX. You got to be kidding me if you were honestly thinking (even at cost subsidizing) that they were going to offer it for less.

From a personal standpoint it is not that expensive for a Blu ray player. I have a 1080p LCD TV so I'm excited that I can get a bluray player in november without having to shell out 800 bucks.

also in comparison DVDs are 480i resolution, you can upconvert them but the quality is extremely subpar compared to 1080p video. I've seen some bluray discs already go for 21 bucks. In time it will drop to the price of DVDs. I think sony are bastards but I think they're gonna win this format war.

i plan on buying a 360 and a Wii. Sony absolutely disgusted me. I will wait until its about 200 bucks cheaper when its on the clearance racks at Circuit city :)

Clearly Sony isn't aiming for the folks here at CHEAPASSGAMER. You may not want to shell out $500 or $600, but plenty of others will.

[quote name='Apossum']as far as we know.[/quote]

OMFG. I cannot believe the prices. Hell I can't believe the dual SKU after all the shit that MSoft caught for doing it. But what really pisses me off is them tacking on a motion sensing controller. Those unoriginal fucks.

My PS2 library is by far the most extensive of the consoles I own, but hell if I am going with Sony this gen. It will be years before I buy a PS3. I may pick up a PS3 just to Ebay that fucker out of spite.

Sony just prices themselves out of my range of what I'm willing to pay. $400 for the 360 was pushing it for me, but I'd do it again for a PS3 with a hard drive and for MGS4. The Blu Ray player doesn't mean shit to me. Oh well.

[quote name='KaneRobot'] They're overestimating their appeal. The first batch will sell out, but it won't last.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Your patience will be rewarded in hundreds of dollars.

Those of you who say Sony is in trouble are way off. The PS3 will sell, and it will sell like crazy whether you like it or not. With all of its exclusive games there is no way it will fail.

all the half ass features and that weird music service are all just awful.....but the mgs 4 trailer was sooooooooooooooo good :)

[quote name='whoknows']Those of you who say Sony is in trouble are way off. The PS3 will sell, and it will sell like crazy whether you like it or not. With all of its exclusive games there is no way it will fail.[/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

he's right. PS2 has sold 100 million consoles world wide...someone remind me how much the cube and xbox sold. it'll take another gen or two to knock em out.

[quote name='gizmogc']Blu Ray = Dead
HD-DVD = Winner[/QUOTE]

Just think about it.

Microsoft hasn't announced how much their HD-DVD add-on will cost yet, have they?

If it's just a standard USB HD-DVD drive (more or less), they won't be able to sell it for cheap either. So even with the rumored price drop on the 360, it'll still likely be just as, or close to as expensive as the PS3. There have been plenty of people claiming that the 360 was _under_priced, and that microsoft should have bumped it up $100, since obviously people were more than happy to pay it.

That's still a ton of change to drop on a `console' though. It's going to be one hell of a hard-sell to the wife at this price.

[quote name='whoknows']Those of you who say Sony is in trouble are way off. The PS3 will sell, and it will sell like crazy whether you like it or not. With all of its exclusive games there is no way it will fail.[/QUOTE]

People were/are hesitant buying the 360 at $400, so what makes you think people will pick this up at $600?

[quote name='gizmogc']:lol: :lol: :lol:[/QUOTE]
Look at what people were paying for the 360, more than double of what it costs, do you seriously think that the PS3 being $500 will make people not buy it?

[quote name='Apossum']he's right. PS2 has sold 100 million consoles world wide...someone remind me how much the cube and xbox sold. it'll take another gen or two to knock em out.[/QUOTE]

I would never want them out of the market. Hell its better for all of us that there are more companies in the gaming market.

It's funny how people bitched and bitched and bitched about the 360's $400 tag.. yet when the PS3 is announced at $500/$600, everyone's all "OMG WHEN CAN I PREORDER?"

[quote name='Scorch']It's funny how people bitched and bitched and bitched about the 360's $400 tag.. yet when the PS3 is announced at $500/$600, everyone's all "OMG WHEN CAN I PREORDER?"[/QUOTE]

Dude, what are you talking about?

[quote name='CaptPete']Just think about it.

Microsoft hasn't announced how much their HD-DVD add-on will cost yet, have they?

If it's just a standard USB HD-DVD drive (more or less), they won't be able to sell it for cheap either. So even with the rumored price drop on the 360, it'll still likely be just as, or close to as expensive as the PS3. There have been plenty of people claiming that the 360 was _under_priced, and that microsoft should have bumped it up $100, since obviously people were more than happy to pay it.

That's still a ton of change to drop on a `console' though. It's going to be one hell of a hard-sell to the wife at this price.[/QUOTE]

A stand-alone HD-DVD is $500 at the moment. I imagine a 360 will be $300.
However, Im not statting this is why HD will win.
Sony including DVD in there PS2 really helped make DVDs the standard. Selling a system with Blu-Ray for $600 will not.

[quote name='Zoglog']I think i'll prob go for the 20GB one. Honestly I don't know why people expected it to be 400. Blu ray players cost 999 currently. This one has that, cell processor, and the RSX. You got to be kidding me if you were honestly thinking (even at cost subsidizing) that they were going to offer it for less.

From a personal standpoint it is not that expensive for a Blu ray player. I have a 1080p LCD TV so I'm excited that I can get a bluray player in november without having to shell out 800 bucks.

also in comparison DVDs are 480i resolution, you can upconvert them but the quality is extremely subpar compared to 1080p video. I've seen some bluray discs already go for 21 bucks. In time it will drop to the price of DVDs. I think sony are bastards but I think they're gonna win this format war.[/QUOTE]

I will take whatever has the best PQ. I don't give a fuck about storage size if you can't deliver on PQ because you're using a shitty copyright protection format that fucks up the picture, COUGHSonyCOUGH. So in this case give me a 2 disc 1080p HD-DVD movie that costs a $ or 2 more than the Blu-Ray equivalent and I'll buy it instead. Hopefully Sony fails and then I can GET a copy of Heavy Metal on HD-DVD instead.

[quote name='Apossum']he's right. PS2 has sold 100 million consoles world wide...someone remind me how much the cube and xbox sold. it'll take another gen or two to knock em out.[/QUOTE]

Uh... you do realize that they'll be losing money for every console sold for at least the first few years right? And it's not just a little, they're losing a lot of money since a Blu-Ray player (with the drive and Cell CPU) alone retails for $1000. Think about the PS3, it has a Blu-Ray drive and Cell plus all that other crap. It's like MS did with the XB for the first, what, 4 years of the system's life?

i believe they said 100million shipped, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuged difference from sold

[quote name='whoknows']do you seriously think that the PS3 being $500 will make people not buy it?[/quote]

Yes I do.

fuck the ps3 bring on the Wii.

Was there ANYTHING announced in their conference that didn't have a number behind it? lol.

[quote name='Scorch']It's funny how people bitched and bitched and bitched about the 360's $400 tag.. yet when the PS3 is announced at $500/$600, everyone's all "OMG WHEN CAN I PREORDER?"[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah baby. I got cash to make on ebay.

[quote name='Vinny']Uh... you do realize that they'll be losing money for every console sold for at least the first few years right? And it's not just a little, they're losing a lot of money since a Blu-Ray player (with the drive and Cell CPU) alone retails for $1000. Think about the PS3, it has a Blu-Ray drive and Cell plus all that other crap. It's like MS did with the XB for the first, what, 4 years of the system's life?[/quote]

I think MSoft lost over 4 billion (or more) over the lifespan of the original Xbox. Sony can't take a hit like that.

[quote name='CheapyD']Major Details Revealed!

Launch Date & Price

Nov 17th USA
20gb - $499
60gb - $599

Nov 11th JAPAN
20gb - 59800yen
60gb - retailers set price

Controllers are motion sensitive and look like PS2 controllers

[/QUOTE]

Now that I have a job, I can afford it, but think I'll pass and get one when Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts is released. I'll stick with the Wii and my crapload of games I haven't played yet. No rush.

[quote name='jer7583']fuck the ps3 bring on the Wii.

Was there ANYTHING announced in their conference that didn't have a number behind it? lol.[/QUOTE]

Nope. All sequels to some games that been have dead for ages. Slap them on a new system and 'WOOOOOAH!!!!!!'

Can;t wait for Fantavision 2 - Now with Wi-err- PS3 Gyromantiacsiouly controller!

[quote name='Purkeynator']As much as I hate sony, nintendo makes stupid games too. Just look at this one http://marioteachesptkfgs.ytmnd.com/[/QUOTE]

....and it was one of the best PC/MAC titles of the 90's. What's you're point? Who wants to play Mavis Beacon when MARIO can teach them. What a LAME comeback.

Two types of people will buy the PS3 at launch: people who can afford it, and stupid people getting the resells on ebay. It'll sell out because there are enough people who are either diehard PS fans or tech junkies, but beyond the six month frantic period is when we'll figure out if the average guy goes for it.

I'll wait.

[quote name='whoknows']Look at what people were paying for the 360, more than double of what it costs, do you seriously think that the PS3 being $500 will make people not buy it?[/QUOTE]

This is an awesome point.

In a world where people were paying $800 for a 360, people will definately drop $500 on this, and will probably be paying a grand on Ebay for it.

[quote name='chargeup45']Two types of people will buy the PS3 at launch: people who can afford it, and stupid people getting the resells on ebay. [/QUOTE]

You can call me retarded because I'm going to get all I can to cash in.

[quote name='chargeup45']Two types of people will buy the PS3 at launch: people who can afford it, and stupid people getting the resells on ebay. It'll sell out because there are enough people who are either diehard PS fans or tech junkies, but beyond the six month frantic period is when we'll figure out if the average guy goes for it.

I'll wait.[/quote]

I have no doubt that it will sell out. They just won't be selling one to me.

I'm still stunned by the arrogance of the $600 price tag. You know they're going to nerf the $500 version so that there's some incentive for the $600 version to sell other than HD space.

The wal-mart crowd will eat it up. How's it feel to be in the same lot with the guy who drives a 98 civic with fart pipes and tribal styled decals on his car?

I don't think MS will drop the price by $100 that would be a bit too much too soon. Maybe $50 and a free game or something.

$540 (tax included) for the PS3 is a bit high. I still want to get it at launch but I just don't want to be screwed - buying early and it craps out.

What are your guesses of when there'll be a price drop? The PSP dropped by $50 after a year, granted the tech is less sophisticated.

[quote name='gizmogc']Oh, I too will buy a few. Just to resell.[/QUOTE]

Yep, this is how smart people are going to do it.

I'll preorder one at GS, I'll wait in line at Best Buy or somewhere similar, and resell the extra.

If I can get double what it's worth, or even close, it's a ps3 for free.

I'm just pissed they used fucking Ridge Racer to show off the ps one emulator on PSP... way to miss the point, Sony.

[quote name='jngx80']I don't think MS will drop the price by $100 that would be a bit too much too soon. Maybe $50 and a free game or something.

$540 (tax included) for the PS3 is a bit high. I still want to get it at launch but I just don't want to be screwed - buying early and it craps out.

What are your guesses of when there'll be a price drop? The PSP dropped by $50 after a year, granted the tech is less sophisticated.[/quote]

The PSP price drop is not a legitimate price drop. They just cut the extra crap and matched something similar to what the Japanese have had since launch.

bread's done
Back