Sony E3 Press Conference Discussion - Price & Date Revealed!

[quote name='Strell']Yes but.

HOW BIG IS THE POWER SUPPLY?

/obvious[/QUOTE]

Well let's see, its supposed to be more powerful and looks like it has more fans than the 360. That power supply is going to be HUGE!!!

I never really understood why anyone cares about the weight, even with the original xbox. Are you carrying it around all day? Even if you are, "oh noes! 10 pounds! Can't...lift....it" It's nice to be a little smaller, but these aren't any bigger than stereo receivers, dvd players, all the other stuff in your entertainment center, etc.

The only thing it could possibly affect is shipping costs, if you need to send it somewhere or order online, I guess.

MMm. You can make a (decidedly weak) argument for Japan, where the apartments are so small that anything not tiny and stackable will get negative response. Or so I've heard.

I remember this was said of the original Xbox.

How true it is, I dunno. There's a lot more bias against the Xbox than simple the size.

But I think I also heard once "Well the N64 was shunned because the PSX was smaller and more compact."

I have no other way to prove this other than I thought I read it years and years ago.

[quote name='Backlash']I never really understood why anyone cares about the weight, even with the original xbox. Are you carrying it around all day? Even if you are, "oh noes! 10 pounds! Can't...lift....it" It's nice to be a little smaller, but these aren't any bigger than stereo receivers, dvd players, all the other stuff in your entertainment center, etc.

The only thing it could possibly affect is shipping costs, if you need to send it somewhere or order online, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Because if a system is heavy, its TEH SUXORZ!!11!!

Seriously though, that system has packed on some serious weight since last year.

BTW - Has there been any mention yet of Killzone? Was it shown? Will it be playable? Was Sony really full of shit last year when they said it was running in real time?

[quote name='basketkase543']Was Sony really full of shit last year when they said it was running in real time?[/quote]

Yes, par for the course for them though.

[quote name='basketkase543']Was Sony really full of shit last year when they said it was running in real time?[/quote]

Of course. Plus, OMG ANOTHER UNREMARKABLE FPS!!!!! WOO!!!! The Killzone movie looks badass and all but we haven't seen any real gameplay and Sony needs to add something awesome to set it apart from the bajillion other FPSs on the market if they want it to sell.... and that something is ... wait for it... 6 degrees of motion sensors!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!! Lame.

[quote name='Strell']MMm. You can make a (decidedly weak) argument for Japan, where the apartments are so small that anything not tiny and stackable will get negative response. Or so I've heard.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I don't recall stacking anything on my GCN. Especially since it's kinda tall and has a flip lid :)

[quote name='Backlash']Hmm, I don't recall stacking anything on my GCN. Especially since it's kinda tall and has a flip lid :)[/QUOTE]
But you could stack it on top of something else.

[quote name='evilmax17']Kaz Hirai on Gamespot Live:

"PS3 is an absolutely fantastic deal for the consumer."

I hate how they can't admit it's expensive.[/QUOTE]

Now, now. They are admitting it, but in very implicit ways. Didn't Hirai say a year or more ago that "it would be necessary, but ultimately worth it, to work extra hours to be able to afford it" (paraphrasing, of course).

[quote name='mykevermin']Now, now. They are admitting it, but in very implicit ways. Didn't Hirai say a year or more ago that "it would be necessary, but ultimately worth it, to work extra hours to be able to afford it" (paraphrasing, of course).[/quote]

Something like that - "work harder and earn more so you can afford it!" Nevermind the fact that lots of people have salaries and overtime doesn't pay shit.

The PS3 might very well be a great deal though considering it will play blu-ray movies and all if that's what you are looking to buy. For the rest of us $600 is way way way too expensive...

[quote name='javeryh']
The PS3 might very well be a great deal though considering it will play blue-ray movies and all if that's what you are looking to buy. For the rest of us $600 is way way way too expensive...[/quote]

Have they said anything about the blue ray player on the ps3. Is it a slower one the the other retail models. I know that had been thrown around by some gamesites awhile back when speculating on the cost, and how to reduce the loss.

[quote name='Daddy']IN NJ? Good luck...this house market is tanking now and is overpopulated with listings....you better go the condo/townhouse route....either way what you pay compared to what you get is HORRIBLE[/quote]

Condos and townhouses are the worst way you can go.. I have been in the mortgage business for 4 years and the only way you will ever come out ahead on a condo/townhome is if you buy brand new, if you end up buying off someone, you have just pissed your money away, a single family house is always the better bet, rates will eventually settle down, they always have and always will. The only people who need to be worried are the idiots who purchase high $$ homes or mulitple homes with the intent of renting or flipping with ARMs,, Those are the people who are in deepshat right now, I cant help but chuckle everytime they need to refi or sell because the rates are killing them and they cant afford thier intrest only mortgage payment.

[quote name='ryanbph']Have they said anything about the blue ray player on the ps3. Is it a slower one the the other retail models. I know that had been thrown around by some gamesites awhile back when speculating on the cost, and how to reduce the loss.[/QUOTE]

I read on IGN that the blu-ray player is 2x. I'm not sure how that compares to the standalone Blu-Ray players though.

[quote name='mykevermin']It was a steal until they took out the flux capacitor.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Any and all references to Back to the Future make me giggle like a wii school girl.

It is a deal if and only if you reaaallly want a blu-ray player since the rest are $999.

as a gamer, HA! yeah right.

i wrote this somewhere else, but i think this is the proper place to put this comment:

I think Sony really screwed the pooch with this one. Initially, it'll probably sell out, due to the larger numbers of early adopters in electronics today and possible "mismanagement" by production, creating illusionary demand.

They try to point out that the PS2 ushered in the DVD explosion, which is why PS3 has blu ray. However, most data on the subject point that around 75% of PS2 owners rarely use their PS2 for watching movies. The DVD explosion happened when DVD players became affordable along with the media, in the 100-200 range, well below the asking price for the PS2 5 years ago.

Gamers, hardcore and casual, don't care about the dvd capabilities of their gaming machine. All Sony had to do was focus on a machine that delivered high-res video and sound, and had a killer online environment, and they'd pretty much have a competitively priced unit. They already have the stable library. I mean, seriously, who the fuck cares about having a smartcard reader on your PS?

Sony thinks that they can pretty much do anything because they have the library locked up (VF, MGS, Tekken, FF, God of War). Except for FPS, they have the best games in every category exclusive to them.

We have to show them, as both gamers and CAG's, that they can't strong-arm us like this. I, for one, refuse to buy that machine for a penny more than $350-$400. For $800 (PS3, extra controller, and 1 or 2 launch games, +tax), I'd rather buy my awesome HDTV first, then wait for that crap to lower in price. For those of you that can afford the system, I won't blame your for getting it when it comes out. I'd probably do the same.

But for most of us out there, a price like that should be unacceptable. The thing isn't a computer, dammit.

I'll guarantee that Sony will have to drop the price by at least $50-$100 within 7-12 months, followed by another drop around 20-24 months. If they don't, they won't win the market share war with Microsoft, then we'll see where all those exclusives go......

Well lets see...

cheaper version:
- No built-in Wi-fi
- No HDMI port
- No Memory Stick slot
- No SD card slot
- No Compact Flash slot
- 20GB hard drive

I think yould have to buy the more expensive version with all the stuff theyre stripping out for the cheap version. Besides which in a few years through a memory card hack will probably come out meaning Ild hate to be stuck with a cheaper version PS3.

$600 isnt that expensive, Im guessing people will pay $800 for a PS3. The tax is gonna hurt though with these prices the Wii will look attractive !

[quote name='jpuma1']Gamers, hardcore and casual, don't care about the dvd capabilities of their gaming machine.[/quote]

While I agree with most of the rest of your post, I'd have to point out that a LOT of college students use their PS2 for DVD playback. When you're on a limited space and money budget, you try to get the most functionality out of one device that you can.

[quote name='Genocidal']While I agree with most of the rest of your post, I'd have to point out that a LOT of college students use their PS2 for DVD playback. When you're on a limited space and money budget, you try to get the most functionality out of one device that you can.[/quote]

good thing cause they'll need that ps2 to watch movies until they graduate, get a job and make enough cake to afford one of these things.

i'm gonna wait for the br playback specific reviews before considering it as my primary br player. the ps2 dvd playback capabilities didn't do it in terms of quality playback, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see how the br player does. was it demonstrated at e3?

I cant think of anyone I knew in college that used their ps2/xbox for dvd playback, they mostly used their computers, but a lot of them had standalone players as well.

A lot of people on campus would use their PCs when they wanted to watch a movie by themselves, but when you've got a group of people together it was easier to hook a PS2 to the TV than to cram everyone in one of the bedrooms (at least from my experience).

[quote name='Genocidal']A lot of people on campus would use their PCs when they wanted to watch a movie by themselves, but when you've got a group of people together it was easier to hook a PS2 to the TV than to cram everyone in one of the bedrooms (at least from my experience).[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's a Case thing ;)

Definitely happens, but I don't know how many of those people currently using PS2s are going to make the leap to BD and get a PS3 for DVD playback. Yet.

[quote name='Genocidal']While I agree with most of the rest of your post, I'd have to point out that a LOT of college students use their PS2 for DVD playback. When you're on a limited space and money budget, you try to get the most functionality out of one device that you can.[/quote]

college students comprised most of the other 25% of people out there that use their PS2s for DVD playback. However, with the advent ot the $75-$100 dvd player, it's made using the PS2 for DVD playback obselete. When I was in college (2000-2004), you'd be surprised to know that most people in my dorm actually had setups where they had a PS2, and yet still had a cheap DVD player to play movies. Why? Hell, I dunno.

They WANT people to use this as their MAIN DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player because it is MUCH cheaper. A stand-alone Blu-Ray player costs $1000. This is why MS and Sony jumped on their own formats putting out next gen DVD systems.

HOWEVER, most people will probably not take advantage of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

When the PS2 was released, there was already DVD players on the market. And now, DVD players are dirt cheap so anyone should have a stand-alone DVD player.

I might get a HD-DVD for my 360, once details are finalized. Why should I pay $500 for one, when I can get it for $200.

Sony is just FORCING BR on its consumers

PS2 is still my primary DVD player. I just ugraded to a DVD drive on my PC, but I'll still use my PS2 for movies because there's no reason to waste PC resources when I've got my game setup right next to the computer.

However, it's very true that people will inexplicably buy standalone players when they already have a PS2. In my college apartment, the roomates had a DVD player right next to the PS2 (and even a DVD playback kit for the Xbox). And it's not like this was a high-end setup or anything, that could conceivably benefit from a fully-featured decicated player, it was just your typical grimey college living situation.

This thread is way too large to know if this has been discussed and I don't feel like starting a new one just for this, but...

The console is approximately 13.5 inches in length and 3.5 inches
wide as reported by IGN. This in contrast to the PS2 design is much larger
and is closer in size to the original Xbox in size.

C'mon Sony...Playstation LIVE, motion detecting controllers, system size, two SKUs...this is like the typical high-school behavior. Insult and mock everyone else...then make sure it's suddenly COOL HIP RULE when you do it.

:roll:

[quote name='doubledown']HOWEVER, most people will probably not take advantage of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

When the PS2 was released, there was already DVD players on the market. And now, DVD players are dirt cheap so anyone should have a stand-alone DVD player.

I might get a HD-DVD for my 360, once details are finalized. Why should I pay $500 for one, when I can get it for $200.

Sony is just FORCING BR on its consumers[/QUOTE]

I agree. Sony is forcing the BluRay on its customers and I don't think that the public is ready to upgrade.

HOWEVER, if you ARE one of those tech-geek AV Club gotta-have-it early adopters, the PS3 isn't that bad a deal.

Xbox 360 = 20 gig HD, No HDMI, No WiFi = $399
PS3 = 20 gig HD, No HDMI, No WiFi, Blu-Ray Player = $499

If MS sells its HD-DVD expansion for $100, you pretty much break even. If it's $150, then the PS3 is actually the cheaper choice.

Of course, what hardcore AV guy isn't going to spring for the HDMI? And the WiFi adapters for these systems retail for $100 anyway...

Yes, its too much for a gaming system, but the price ISNT that crazy if you want all the stuff Sony is offering you.

[quote name='jalu6']HOWEVER, if you ARE one of those tech-geek AV Club gotta-have-it early adopters, the PS3 isn't that bad a deal.

Xbox 360 = 20 gig HD, No HDMI, No WiFi = $399
PS3 = 20 gig HD, No HDMI, No WiFi, Blu-Ray Player = $499

If MS sells its HD-DVD expansion for $100, you pretty much break even. If it's $150, then the PS3 is actually the cheaper choice. [/QUOTE]

You're talking about simply owning a Blu-Ray player, though. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe with no HDMI out, the Blu-Ray picture is scaled down to 480p because it'll have to go through component cables. If that's the case, my 360 is showing movies in the exact same definition as the cheap PS3 is showing Blu-Ray movies. Why would ANYONE want to buy a Blu-Ray movie, which is much more expensive, when they could own a DVD with the exact same clarity and pay half the price?

[quote name='mmn']You're talking about simply owning a Blu-Ray player, though. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe with no HDMI out, the Blu-Ray picture is scaled down to 480p because it'll have to go through component cables. If that's the case, my 360 is showing movies in the exact same definition as the cheap PS3 is showing Blu-Ray movies. Why would ANYONE want to buy a Blu-Ray movie, which is much more expensive, when they could own a DVD with the exact same clarity and pay half the price?[/QUOTE]

I think that is the BIG debate....there is NOHDCP right now, correct? So, technically these Next-Gen DVD players will play in 720p/1080i through component

[quote name='jalu6']I agree. Sony is forcing the BluRay on its customers and I don't think that the public is ready to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

As long as Target still has $7.50 and $10 DVD sales I won't be upgrading to any new DVD format. Plus I don't have a HDTV anyway so why bother with a new format that a majority of the population can't take advantage of anyway.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']C'mon Sony...Playstation LIVE, motion detecting controllers, system size, two SKUs...this is like the typical high-school behavior. Insult and mock everyone else...then make sure it's suddenly COOL HIP RULE when you do it.

:roll:[/quote]

I'm almost embarassed for them... almost. The fucking balls on those guys is unbelievable.

bread's done
Back