Sony E3 Press Conference Discussion - Price & Date Revealed!

Also there will be disc player that can play both blu ray and HD-DVD. There is a good chance both will be sticking around. After all we are still stuck with 3 or 4 flahs memory.

I don't give a shit about blu-ray or hd-dvd. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that they're aren't even any tv's on the market that will accept a 1080p source signal. There are tv's that output 1080p, but none that accept 1080p in... not even sony's own super badass sxrd tv's.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']I don't give a shit about blu-ray or hd-dvd. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that they're aren't even any tv's on the market that will accept a 1080p source signal. There are tv's that output 1080p, but none that accept 1080p in... not even sony's own super badass sxrd tv's.[/quote]

Um, how can it output it, if it can't accept it? There are sets on the market that can do 1080p, but they cost at least 400 or 500 (IIRC) more than one that can go as high as 1080i. It'll be a while before satelite and cable can catch up, as thats over two million pixels. Pushing that much data thru the pipeline is gonna cause loss in other areas of service for the consumer.

[quote name='Sulik2']Wow I thought $500 would be max and no double system. Instead we get 2 systems, $500 min and a $600?!? system.

Sony is pricing this for a blueray player not a game system. Problem is that in the long term its the games that make you money and win the war, not bluray. There is a serious question here of whether or not Sony out pricing the gamers with this system. The small hardcore gamer nitch isn't what makes you money, which is the only gamers who will buy this at launch at this price.

It really is funny, the only way sony's game system is going to succeed is if the people are ravenous to adopt blueray. As it really seems they aren't, not much interest in HDDVD or Blueray it seems. Seriously whats the adoption rate of 1080p hdmi TVs that blueray pushes so hard? Sony has had a 10 yr run of dominance, and history seems to show thats about when there is a major shift in the game industry. This could spell the end of Sony as the #1 in gaming. To much money for a game player, to much invested in people wanting a new format other than DVD. However, if people are ready to adopt a new standard, Sony will mop the floor. Its an interesting gamble, Sony thinks they are, M$ doesn't. We will see what pays off. Heck, nintendo could even be the big winner, maybe its the HD era in general that people arent ready for.[/QUOTE]
Depending on the features it has, pricing it as a Blu-ray player, it's a good price. Pricing it as a game system alone, I agree that it's too much, but the market will bear it. At that pricing, they will still sell out as many units as they can produce for probably at least the first year. After production is ramped up and supply starts to exceed demand, then Sony can work on sweetening the deal with pack-ins, promotional offers, or price drops. What should concern Sony the most is finding ways to reduce their cost per system produced. If they are selling at a loss, then it should be their first priority to work to a point where that is no longer true.

Sony has the most to lose in this generation. Not only as a console gaming platform, but as a company. Microsoft and Nintendo both have stockpiles of cash that can cushion nearly any financial blow they could sustain. Even if their platforms failed, they would still have other business ventures to keep them afloat. The R&D costs for the PS3 alone were enough to seriously affect the company's finances. Add to that the costs of production, marketing, and any other costs associated with bringing it to retail, and you have a seriously big bill. If either PS3 or Blu-ray tank, then Sony will be under a huge financial burden. If both fail it could mean the end of the company as it exists today.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']I don't give a shit about blu-ray or hd-dvd. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that they're aren't even any tv's on the market that will accept a 1080p source signal. There are tv's that output 1080p, but none that accept 1080p in... not even sony's own super badass sxrd tv's.[/QUOTE]

i've had a 1080p set since last August.....

http://zoglog.clearlyseen.net/photos/sceptretv/IMG_1707.jpg

only 1080p content I can get is compressed WMV9 clips and the WMV9 ver on the T2 Extreme edition DVD.

http://zoglog.clearlyseen.net/photos/sceptretv/IMG_1709.jpg

That's why Blu ray is coming.

[quote name='radjago']Sony has the most to lose in this generation...If either PS3 or Blu-ray tank, then Sony will be under a huge financial burden. If both fail it could mean the end of the company as it exists today.[/quote]QFT.

[quote name='Apossum']okay...and you had to do 2 ps3 special offers for what good reason? ;) [/QUOTE]

Under the false assumption that you'll wade through the morass of posts and read this, it has to do with the fact that I only got my 360 3-4 weeks ago (though I finished all the requirements in November 2005). The first one I completed was for the same company, so I said "to hell it it" (indeed!) and did the other, more reliable one.

Oh gheeze.
I am going to have the first 41 pages still, but...

$599 to get a fully fuctional system? It was already bad enough to spend $399 on the 360 and I was happy with that, but I don't plan on buying a ton of Blu-Ray DVDs so this price point puts the system a good 3+ years away before purchasing. I'm sure my friends will buy it if they want to see blu-ray that bad, but I for one will not.

Then again, I bet a ton of loyal Sony fans will be purchasing this one at launch, and the eBay profit should be pretty high. I know there are alot of Sony zealots around so I doubt Sony is going to go under, just not saturate the market as fast as they would like to.

Wow, looks like every Xbox fanboy was right.

The PS3 IS going to be an overpriced flop.

There is no way a $599 and $499 price point is going to fly with the market. C'mon, really, that's just ridiculous.

With the 360 being $200 less across the board and going on second generation games at launch and third generation games by the time the PS3 has more than 5 million on the market the difference between the two is not going to be that great to justify that kind of price difference.

Someone over there is on crack.

EDIT: I think Nintendo is going to end up looking like an absolutely visionary company this generation. A lot of people are going to say no fucking way to Sony and Microsoft at $400-600 consoles and $60 games. Gaming is not that kind of cash intensive hobby to the average gamer.

Launch Date & Price
Nov 17th USA
20gb - $499
60gb - $599

there is no chance in hell i will get one

400 was my tops.

XBox 360 core 300 Major 400 and a year worth a games and maybe a price drop

compare that to this 500 and 600
and

compare to the Nintendo 249 (guessing)

good luck selling those PS3 systems after xmas (only fan boys will buy them at this price and EXPECT major shortages- can you say 2000 on ebay)

seems my ps2 will have to do until 2008 (when the systems should fall to 299 or below)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the $500 version you also lose the PSP-PS3 connectivity since there is no wifi. I'm guessing this will probably be remedied somehow by offering a wifi adapter, but that will be something else you will have to buy to try and make the "core" version closer in functionality to the $600 version.

Seems the biggest issue with the two versions is that, as that Sony guy mentioned last year, is the market confusion. Sure, the cheaper version might have everything you need, but will the average person know this? Or will they say "I don't want the cheap version, but I don't want to spend more for the expensive version, so I guess I won't get either." Maybe Nintendo will bail Sony out and also offer two SKUs.

A simple solution to piss off Sony, I think I posted something similiar of this nature before.

Buy a PS3, or better yet wait a long time and buy a used PS3. Although buying a new PS3 will net Sony a LOSS.

Then, wait for Gamestop/EB to start stocking used PS3 games. That will only be like a three week or so wait. Buy the games you want used.

Accessories? You won't be needing them right away anyways with your controller and HD. But you can buy these used down the line as well.

What do you get? Well your only one person, but if you can get all your friends to go the used route, then Sony won't be gaining a dime off you.

I did the same with the PS2 when it came to new/used games. I waited till a majority of the games were $19.82 or less or bought them new, and most of my accessories were either clearance or used. I bought a few games at high price points (Growlanser, Suikoden) to support the third party companies, and I saved my cash for the higher priced 360 games and DS titles. I rather have Sony have as little money of mine as possible.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']A simple solution to piss off Sony, I think I posted something similiar of this nature before.

Buy a PS3, or better yet wait a long time and buy a used PS3. Although buying a new PS3 will net Sony a LOSS.

Then, wait for Gamestop/EB to start stocking used PS3 games. That will only be like a three week or so wait. Buy the games you want used.

Accessories? You won't be needing them right away anyways with your controller and HD. But you can buy these used down the line as well.

What do you get? Well your only one person, but if you can get all your friends to go the used route, then Sony won't be gaining a dime off you.

I did the same with the PS2 when it came to new/used games. I waited till a majority of the games were $19.82 or less or bought them new, and most of my accessories were either clearance or used. I bought a few games at high price points (Growlanser, Suikoden) to support the third party companies, and I saved my cash for the higher priced 360 games and DS titles. I rather have Sony have as little money of mine as possible.[/QUOTE]

Dude are you nuts? Obviously Sony's product is something you enjoy and find entertaining/worthwhile, yet you sit around trying to think up ways to screw the company?

[quote name='shipwreck']Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the $500 version you also lose the PSP-PS3 connectivity since there is no wifi. I'm guessing this will probably be remedied somehow by offering a wifi adapter, but that will be something else you will have to buy to try and make the "core" version closer in functionality to the $600 version.[/QUOTE]
I hadn't thought of that, but you're probably right. There could be a way to hook it up by the USB data cable or by a USB wifi adapter.

Does the PSP support Bluetooth?

[quote name='rockhero']Dude are you nuts? Obviously Sony's product is something you enjoy and find entertaining/worthwhile, yet you sit around trying to think up ways to screw the company?[/QUOTE]

Dude are you nuts? Obviously Sony's product is way overpriced and something that is second rate/a cheap imitiation of other products, yet you claim I *should* sit around trying to think up of ways I should support this company?

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']That article is 6 months old. Things can change drasticly in 6 months time. More importantly, why ask a question to which you know full well what the answer is?[/quote]
As of right now, there are very few TVs in the the US that take a 1080p signal. There are plenty of TVs that up sample 1080i signals to 1080p internally, and then display them as such, but it's not the same thing. Of course, in 6 months there WILL be plenty more.

As for the price point, there are a couple things to remember when comparing the PS3 price to the 360 eBay shennanigans. First of all, the 360 was the lone new console on the market at the time, and the first of the 'next-gen' of gaming. Second, there was a shortage. Some people do really stupid things when there is a shortage that they wouldn't normally do. Third, at the time, the 360 had zero competition. Even it's shittiest games still looked quite a bit better than Xbox or PS2 games. Sony however, will have both the 360 and Wii to compete with, and by Novemember 360 games will be pretty much on their second generation and will be looking very good. I haven't seen the video of the PS3 trailers that were shown last night yet, but unless they look substantially better, I don't know how many people are going to pay $100-200 more for the PS3, especially as from what I've seen none of the launch titles are blowing too much wind up ANYBODIES skirt (sure MGS4 and FFXXXXIIII, but you know those at least a year out, probably 18 months to 2 years). Also, a comparison to the PS2 launch I don't think it valid in some respects. I don't think the demand for a 'cheap' Blu-Ray player is as high now, or will be in 6 months, as demand was for a 'cheap' DVD player was back when the PS3 launched. And like I've said, for the majority of people, a Blu-Ray player will mean needing a new TV to enjoy it. That's starting to be an expensive proposition for a lot of people.

In the end, PS3 just had to show up to win Japan, and they will, even with all the problems I talked about. It's just how it is, although I think depending on the Wii's price point and launch titles, Nintendo might take a lot of Sony's launch winds away and may hurt them long term in Japan (i.e. taking some of their market share, if only >5%). In the US however, I see it being much tighter. Your average consumer has no brand loyalty and unless the PS3s games look $200 better than 360 games, I think they are going to have problems with the high end market, while cheap asses and people that like alternative type games go with the Wii. The only people I see definitely sticking with the PS3 are JRPG fans.

What really gets me is that if the $500 PS3 indeed does not have HDMI, what the fuck is the point of it? As to my knowledge, it is not possible to get 1080p over component cables because A) it requires too much bandwidth, and B) that copyright holders aren't going to allow it because they think it's another in the many 'analog loopholes' to pirate the software. So, for $500 I get a PS3 that won't play my games at max resolution, and the Blu-Ray player is basically fucking useless? Sounds great to me. And I say the Blu-Ray player is useless because even if Sony would let games over component cables at 1080p, there is no way in hell Hollywood is going to follow suit. Blu-Ray discs from Sony might not downsample to 480p, but that doesn't mean Blu-Ray discs from every other studio won't. And lets assume it's just 720p they downsample to. What the fuck is the point of 1080p Blu-Rays if you watch them at 720p unless you want to pay $600 for a game system. At least the 'core' 360 has the same function as a premium. This is like 2 seperate consoles in my mind (the $500 PS3 v. the $600 PS3 that is).

Here comes the Sony bandwagon and they just lost a wheel...

If M$ is smart the day the PS3 hits store shelves they should run a promotion for $50 off on a 360. Hmmm.... $600 or $350.

The PS3 is full of features I could care less about.

The 360 is starting to look real good for my RE5 fix.

If this thing has DRE's I can only imagine the backlash.

How many sequels can the PS3 boast?

Sony's time is over this gen.

yawns.

For 500dollars you will get everything the 360 has plus Blueray dvd ability for only 100 dollars more then the 360 (399 vs 499 = 100)

And when a price is announced for the HD DVD add on for 99-199 bucks for the 360 then it will be exactly the same price as ps3.

and id MUCH rather have a ps3 then xbox anything. Its all about games and sony has them.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']yawns.

For 500dollars you will get everything the 360 has plus Blueray dvd ability for only 100 dollars more then the 360 (399 vs 499 = 100)

And when a price is announced for the HD DVD add on for 99-199 bucks for the 360 then it will be exactly the same price as ps3.

and id MUCH rather have a ps3 then xbox anything. Its all about games and sony has them.[/QUOTE]

The thing you have to realize is that HD-DVD will be an add-on and it isn't forced upon us like Blue-Ray will be with Sony. Another thing you have to realize is how many people you know will want to re-purchase movies they already own on DVD to watch them in a new format? You will have to pay twice as much for a movie then some movies might not even come out in the new format just like the conversion from VHS to DVD.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Dude are you nuts? Obviously Sony's product is way overpriced and something that is second rate/a cheap imitiation of other products, yet you claim I *should* sit around trying to think up of ways I should support this company?[/QUOTE]

If it was second rate/a cheap imitation of other products then you should be fine without it. Obviously you enjoy the playstation enough that you need to have one, it just seems strange to me to turn this into negativity towards Sony.

Bhahaha...i'd love to do my "Told You So routine" but theres no need to, I posted that all Sony does is copy and they have done that, I posted that they would shoot themselves in the foot and they have....they ALWAYS lie, promise big and take things back...they have done all of that too. This system is a joke, Sony was quote last years as saying, "You can't have HD without HDMI" when they were bashing MS and 360.... and there is no Hdmi in the cheap verison? Thats just too funny...so lets see they take out all the goodies in the $500 version so thats pointless all together, they show trailers of games which is a waste of space, they play warhawk (the guy playing looked like a fookin retard..abhaba) which could run visually the same on 360, they copy the Xbox Live and Marketplace,the Nintendo controller style,the 2 different SKU's (which again is worthless bc they are like having 2 different systems since one is sooo stripped down) this whole thing is too funny....all I get is Metal Gear and Tekken oh and Virtua Fighter which all of them are on version 4 or 5 already. The system is $635 bucks after tax w/o any games or extras.....no thanks...I see most people getting a 360 and spending the extra $100 bucks for a add-on Hd-Dvd drive. I am very glad Sony did all this, as expected they have sprung a very big leak in there boat.

Microsoft responds:

http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150550

[quote name='1up']"Leadership," is what Shane Kim, director of Microsoft Game Studios, said when asked to summarize Microsoft's press conference (which gets underway at 11:30 a.m. PST this morning) in one word. Leadership might be what the video game industry is about to need, too, considering Sony's somewhat flaccid performance at yesterday's pre-E3 event. The game industry leader announced a price point for its next-generation platform.

"It's pretty tough to tell gamers that the next generation begins with us [Sony] when the price point is a couple hundred dollars higher than ours," Kim said. He is referring to the $499/$599 price points for Sony's two PS3 SKU's compared with Microsoft's $299 and $399 price points. While his responses were measured and careful, one has to suspect that Kim and Chris Satchell, general manager of the game developer group at Microsoft, were pleased to see Sony's strategy.

Sony's incorporation of a "Marketplace"-style online system, armed to the teeth with microtransaction possibilities is even more excessive than Microsoft's existing Marketplace. The demonstration showed several weapons that could be purchased for Warhawk -- whether or not this holds true in the online infrastructure's final iteration won't be clear until the Nov. 17 launch date. Despite the similarities, Microsoft isn't concerned with its online success, "Nothing we heard today indicates that Sony is in a position to catch us in the online space," Kim said. Kim also said to expect some telling new figures about the Xbox Live usage statistics at today's press conference.
But don't think Microsoft is content with Sony aping their Marketplace and the Wii's controller (Sony unveiled a controller that offered six degrees of movement in a space as a control-scheme, drawing immediate Wii comparisons).

"Being a gamer first and foremost," said Chris Satchell. "I felt bad for gamers at the lack of innovation from the leaders (Sony)." But will the rest of the game industry think that Sony isn't leading the game industry into the next generation as its PS2 sales figures should dictate? Sony's fall launch will officially enter them in the next-gen console war up against a Microsoft corporation that has a chance to gain momentum with today's press conference (and a Nintendo looking to start a new generation in gaming). Sony has given Microsoft a window of opportunity with a full year on the release calendar and its pricing scheme -- but will Microsoft capitalize? Can Nintendo's Wii controller appeal to the mainstream consumer? This morning's press conferences might shed some light on that -- check back. [/quote]

Yeah Sony has never been innovative...they are salesmen pretending to videogame guys...they just promise,copy and steal....nobody is selling me a bag of magic beans....all I keep thing is after tax a PS3 and one game is $700...no thanks

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']EDIT: I think Nintendo is going to end up looking like an absolutely visionary company this generation. A lot of people are going to say no fucking way to Sony and Microsoft at $400-600 consoles and $60 games. Gaming is not that kind of cash intensive hobby to the average gamer.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely, somebody at Nintendo is a genius. Everybody is going to pick up the Rev as their 2nd console, especially since you can probably get one and a 360 for what the PS3 costs. I'll pick one up on launch day if its $199.

They have positioned themselves brilliantly in this marketplace. Gamecube was almost the same way, but even now I don't feel compelled to pick one up, just not enough games I'd kill for, and most of those are on Dreamcast anyway, at least imports.

[quote name='Stuka']What really gets me is that if the $500 PS3 indeed does not have HDMI, what the fuck is the point of it? As to my knowledge, it is not possible to get 1080p over component cables because A) it requires too much bandwidth, and B) that copyright holders aren't going to allow it because they think it's another in the many 'analog loopholes' to pirate the software. So, for $500 I get a PS3 that won't play my games at max resolution, and the Blu-Ray player is basically fucking useless? Sounds great to me. And I say the Blu-Ray player is useless because even if Sony would let games over component cables at 1080p, there is no way in hell Hollywood is going to follow suit. Blu-Ray discs from Sony might not downsample to 480p, but that doesn't mean Blu-Ray discs from every other studio won't. And lets assume it's just 720p they downsample to. What the fuck is the point of 1080p Blu-Rays if you watch them at 720p unless you want to pay $600 for a game system. At least the 'core' 360 has the same function as a premium. This is like 2 seperate consoles in my mind (the $500 PS3 v. the $600 PS3 that is).[/QUOTE]
Blu-Ray will downsample to just slightly above 480p, which means it will either be scaled down to 480p, or scaled up to display at 720p. But, practically its only marginally better than 480p. Theres really no point at all in buying Blu-Ray if you can't use HDMI to watch them in their full resolution, thats the only advantage Blu-Ray offers over DVD.

Sony, Disney, and Fox are going to not put that flag on their movies, at least initially, but Universal and Warner are.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']
And I'm sorry FriskyTanuki, but not everyone must be geting paid like you to go down on Sony execs, because thats what it sounds like to me. Didn't you're you're mother tell you not to speak with a full mouth??

And 1080P....fuck that. To have 1080P on a hi def set is about a 300 to 500+ extra option...[/quote]

And so it begins.

My big problem with all this is that several developers have said there is little to no difference between games running on the 360 and PS3. If that's the case, then you have to look at the features the PS3 has over the 360 in order to warrant a purchase.

Is an SD slot, wifi, 60 gb hdd and a few other odds and ends worth an extra $200?

[quote name='Ivanhoe']yawns.

and id MUCH rather have a ps3 then xbox anything. Its all about games and sony has them.[/QUOTE]

Ahh but if you want FULL blu-ray support you have to spend $599 because the $499 model doesn't have an HDMI output and you need HDMI in order to display the picture in 1080p. Therefore the $499 model's maximum resolution is 720p, which is the same as what it is for the Xbox 360. So its actually $200 more for the PS3 with full blu-ray dvd compatability.

man i lost the freaking link and cant find the page now. was sort of funny on how they see the PS3 price in years

2006 system 600 bucks
2008 system 400-500
2010 System 200-300
2012 system 100-200

with ps 4 coming out sometime between 2012-2014

if their guesses are right, it wouldnt be till 2012 till i have a PS3 OUCH

[quote name='mykevermin'][/QUOTE]
At least with that all my home computing needs for the next 5 years would also be set.

I suppose if the PS3 can recognize a keyboard and mouse, surf the web, use AIM, run Office programs, and PC games, then I would bite for $600.

[quote name='botticus']I suppose if the PS3 can display porno and play WoW, then I would bite for $600.[/QUOTE]

Fix'd to apply to the average computer user. ;)

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']My big problem with all this is that several developers have said there is little to no difference between games running on the 360 and PS3. If that's the case, then you have to look at the features the PS3 has over the 360 in order to warrant a purchase.

Is an SD slot, wifi, 60 gb hdd and a few other odds and ends worth an extra $200?[/QUOTE]

I was trying to squint during the conference and the graphics on some of those looked really good. Especially FFXIII, which I presume was real time since it had the fight menus and all. I'm not so sure that those can be done on the 360 with its dual layer dvds.

Ahh but if you want FULL blu-ray support you have to spend $599 because the $499 model doesn't have an HDMI output and you need HDMI in order to display the picture in 1080p. Therefore the $499 model's maximum resolution is 720p, which is the same as what it is for the Xbox 360. So its actually $200 more for the PS3 with full blu-ray dvd compatability.

I'm sure blu-ray has some benefits at lower resolutions.

[quote name='Apossum']I was trying to squint during the conference and the graphics on some of those looked really good. Especially FFXIII, which I presume was real time since it had the fight menus and all. I'm not so sure that those can be done on the 360 with its dual layer dvds.[/quote]
Some of those trailers were deceiving. For example, look at Eight Days (i think, the one with the tanker truck crashing.) That included a HUD too, but it kept breaking away to cinematic shots (so there's no way it was in game). There might've been a few seconds of actual gameplay (if even), but the trailer was crafted in such a way as to trick the casual viewer.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Isnt 2012 when the world ends according to the Mayan calendar?[/quote]

Well, shit. Look who has to come in and raid on everyone's parade. Those damn Mayans are good for nothing I tell you ... NOTHING!!!!

[quote name='evilmax17']Some of those trailers were deceiving. For example, look at Eight Days (i think, the one with the tanker truck crashing.) That included a HUD too, but it kept breaking away to cinematic shots (so there's no way it was in game). There might've been a few seconds of actual gameplay (if even), but the trailer was crafted in such a way as to trick the casual viewer.[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing. A lot of the games looked gorgeous, but it seemed like the developers made the FMVs to make it look like actual gameplay.

Bad Sony, bad!

I do want to state for the record, however, that I'm in no way a Sony-basher. I love the PS3 and all of its abilities, but I'm just very bitter about its price tag. I think Sony is making a mistake by alienating their target audience way too much.

bread's done
Back