Sony E3 Press Conference Discussion - Price & Date Revealed!

Just watching the conference video from Gamespot.

Gran Turismo HD - Dispite being 1080p and 60FPS, it didn't look that amazing. Like GT4 with PGR3-esque graphics.

Lair - Looks good.

Hotshots Golf - Are you kidding me? That's worth a spot in your trailer reel? Ouch.

Getaway - It LOOKS okay. How it plays we shall never know.

Afrika - Looks like a safari to me. Not exactly stimulating gameplay.

Monster Kingdom - I have no idea what the game is about or anything. Graphically it looks on par with first getn 360 games.

Eight Days - Looks awesome. It looked like it was real pre-recordered gameplay but no Killzone shennanigans. Pretty impressed with that one.

New Naughty Dog Game - Graphically it looks pretty impressive (if that's just pre-recorded gameplay) but gameplay wise it looks like Tomb Raider with a guy. I guess that's fine, just nothing too innovative.

Resistance - Eh.

Tekken 6 - Looked stupid, but that's my opinion as an ex-Tekken fan.

Virtua Fighter 5 - I'm officially excited for this one, although it alone and MGS4 isn't going to make me buy a system.

MGS4 - Obviously looks fucking awesome, although the trailer didn't blow me away as much as the MGS2 or MGS3 trailers did back then. Goddamn it, port it Kojima!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Isnt 2012 when the world ends according to the Mayan calendar?[/QUOTE]

And according to former Phillies catcher Darren Daulton.

Considering that a lot of people pay hundreds of dollars above retail on Ebay and other sites at a systems launch, I don't think $600 for this is too bad. I'm not sure if the extra features really warrant another $100, I don't really care about WiFi since I already have the wires run to get my systems online, and I probably won't have an HDMI TV any time soon. I think I will just wait a year and see how things shape up. The PS3 could be a complete disaster or the clear frontrunner by that time.

[quote name='Stuka']
Hotshots Golf - Are you kidding me? That's worth a spot in your trailer reel? Ouch.
[/QUOTE]

Hotshots Golf is amazing... it definately deserves a spot on any trailer reel.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'] If that's the case, then you have to look at the features the PS3 has over the 360 in order to warrant a purchase.
[/QUOTE]

Or the actual games themselves. There's nothing on the 360 yet that I want to play, as I don't really play FPS and that seems to be its strength so far. That said, I don't know what PS3 games are coming out that I'll want, but we'll see. Maybe I won't get either o_O (j/k)

[quote name='lionheart4life']Considering that a lot of people pay hundreds of dollars above retail on Ebay and other sites at a systems launch, I don't think $600 for this is too bad.[/quote]
I'll say it again. A very small minority of the overall gaming populace actually overspent on an Xbox 360 and bought one on ebay.

A few thousand dumbasses who overpay for a product is no way to measure whether or not the majority of gamers will pay almost two times what they are accustomed to for a system at launch.

Sony will still win and here's why - Metal Gear, Final Fantasy , and Japan. I know I won't pay $600+ dollars to play these two series. To me Final Fantasy has really gone down hill plus all the old guys that helped establish Final Fantasy are a part of Mistwalker now, Enix is trying to milk the cow for all its worth.

Metal Gear looks good but was it a video or actuall game play, Gran Turismo didn't look that impressive compared to PGR3. Seriously, can Sony come up with anything new and original, hey that marketplace looks neat and that motion sensor crap looks fun, let's steal it.

I agree with Stuka. Forget about the blu-ray and all that garbage. What are the games like?

I bought Genji for $10 at best buy last week. Its a fun game, but does the sequel look $650 better? MGS4 of course looks amazing, but again, you can wait until the inevitable MGS4: Awesometacular editon shows up a year later. I'm not against getting a PS3. I'm positive down the line I will own one. But at launch? Pure crazy talk.

Want to know the difference between $400 and $600?

$400 = I want to play Call of Duty 2, Oblivion comes out soon and I know there will be some cool games down the line, so I may as well get one now.

$600 = You had better prove to me that these games will make me wet my pants before I buy one of these things.

Why does everyone hate the fact that Sony is copying Nintendo (motion controller) and MS (Marketplace)? Would you rather those two technologies, which seem like great ideas, not be part of the PS3?

YEah they didn't come up with it, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't use some version of it. You don't see factories still hand-assembling manufactured items just b/c Ford cam up with the assembly line and they didn't (or whoever it was, I forget). Shit, Nintendo should include a Marketplace and MS should get a motion sensitive controller out there, IMO.

fuck YOU SONY! For DOUBLING the price of your new console by shoe-horning in some fucking bullshit DVD technology I dont want or need.

"Oh but its soo cheap for a blueray player..."

I dont care if a standalone blueray player costs $10 grand. I still dont want one in my VIDEO GAME CONSOLE!

I'll be getting a Wii and thats it for the next couple years. Its a shame tho, cos Im sure that blueray woulda looked sweet tho on my 32" CRT Super low rez TV. :roll:

Sony's hurting overall as a company, and their idea to save themselves is to take bad ideas from their consumer electronics division and poison their videogame console with them???

For the $700 (PS3+tax+1 game) I would need to spend on a PS3, I can buy at least FORTY current gen games... :bomb:

[quote name='Zoglog']Most people who are whining about the price are just people who can't afford the console. Otherwise why would they care so much?[/quote]

This is completely untrue. I really want a PS3 because it looks sweet and I love videogames. I'm not rich or anything but I can drop $1,000 on something and not think twice about it but there's no way in hell I'm paying $600 ($700 when you consider tax and a game) for it. It's just too expensive. I'll probably try and pick up two or three for eBaying purposes but that's about it...

Sony might still be the market leader this generation and I'll probably help them out in a few years when the PS3 drops in price but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a more even split between everyone this time around...

[quote name='Backlash']Why does everyone hate the fact that Sony is copying Nintendo (motion controller) and MS (Marketplace)? Would you rather those two technologies, which seem like great ideas, not be part of the PS3?

YEah they didn't come up with it, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't use some version of it. You don't see factories still hand-assembling manufactured items just b/c Ford cam up with the assembly line and they didn't (or whoever it was, I forget). Shit, Nintendo should include a Marketplace and MS should get a motion sensitive controller out there, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Everyone knew Sony was going to steal these ideas but just the way Katarugi delivered his speech it made it sound like like we have something that's never been done before and then he gives us what the Wii remote does. I mean thats lacking when your trying to hype up your new console.

[quote name='Backlash']Why does everyone hate the fact that Sony is copying Nintendo (motion controller) and MS (Marketplace)? Would you rather those two technologies, which seem like great ideas, not be part of the PS3?

YEah they didn't come up with it, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't use some version of it. You don't see factories still hand-assembling manufactured items just b/c Ford cam up with the assembly line and they didn't (or whoever it was, I forget). Shit, Nintendo should include a Marketplace and MS should get a motion sensitive controller out there, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is including a marketplace... the Virtual Console.

[quote name='Puffa469']I'll be getting a Wii and thats it for the next couple years. Its a shame tho, cos Im sure that blueray woulda looked sweet tho on my 32" CRT Super low rez TV. :roll: [/QUOTE]

This is why i love talking to everyone I know from Jersey City. :)

All I know is that right now I'm getting my teaching credentials, am incredibly poor and want to get married soon. There's no room in my budget for a $700 gaming system.

[quote name='Zoglog']Most people who are whining about the price are just people who can't afford the console. Otherwise why would they care so much? [/QUOTE]

Awesome, guy. Why didn't you just come out and say "You just don't like the PS3 because you're too poor."

Check the URL, jackass. Did you mix up your bookmark with www.trustfundgamer.com?

[quote name='basketkase543']All I know is that right now I'm getting my teaching credentials, am incredibly poor and want to get married soon. There's no room in my budget for a $700 gaming system.[/QUOTE]

If it can be negotiated with your fiance, three syllables: Re - Gi - Stry. C'mon, you don't need no fuckin' coffee cream saucer to match your service platters and butter covers. You need 1080p.

On another note, did Sony's announcement about the "virtual marketplace" indicate that stuff could be bought and downloaded while connected to the console (like XBLA), or did this talk about "Playstation Cards" indicate that you'd be going into a store to buy digital downloadable content?

[quote name='jalu6']Awesome, guy. Why didn't you just come out and say "You just don't like the PS3 because you're too poor."

Check the URL, jackass. Did you mix up your bookmark with www.trustfundgamer.com?[/QUOTE]

Is it really that hard to save up $50 a month? It's not like you have to drop $500 on the system next week, or do it all at once. Just budget it out.

Most people here drop $100 every two weeks on some clearance sale buying shitty titles they'll never play, just drop some of that into a savings account instead.

Looks like I am waiting on a price drop. $600 is a good chunk of change. I enjoy all my systems (even my Virtual Boy :) ) and will buy all the next gen systems. Just can not bring myself to pay that much for one system. Even with Blu-ray, I'm just not going to shell out that much. I want a video game system. I did not buy a PS2 or Xbox to play movies. It is a nice benefit though.

Seems like the industry is pushing more and more the limits of what gamers want to spend. It's good that they are pushing tech and making more colorful, complex games for us. Is bigger always better though?

Edit: No problems affording one. Just hate to walk up and put down that much on a system. Not counting the games and whatever.

[quote name='Roufuss']Is it really that hard to save up $50 a month? [/QUOTE]

Yes it is with gas prices going up. The $50-$100 a month that I was putting away has turned into $25/month if I'm lucky.

[quote name='jalu6']This is why i love talking to everyone I know from Jersey City. :)[/quote]

Oh like Seacaucus is any better! lol

Im a newlywed living in a 1bdr apt saving up for a house or condo. Sony can lick me!

[quote name='Roufuss']Is it really that hard to save up $50 a month? It's not like you have to drop $500 on the system next week, or do it all at once. Just budget it out.

Most people here drop $100 every two weeks on some clearance sale buying shitty titles they'll never play, just drop some of that into a savings account instead.[/QUOTE]

I wasnt saying that I couldn't afford one with proper budgeting and financial displine. I was implying that his comment was a pretty fucked up thing to say to someone.

[quote name='Puffa469']Oh like Seacaucus is any better! lol

Im a newlywed living in a 1bdr apt saving up for a house or condo. Sony can lick me![/QUOTE]

IN NJ? Good luck...this house market is tanking now and is overpopulated with listings....you better go the condo/townhouse route....either way what you pay compared to what you get is HORRIBLE

Believe me I know ALL about it. Im still a couple years away from seriosly looking for anything tho, so hopefully the market will crash hard and I can grab something for way cheaper than what Im seeing now.

[quote name='Daddy']IN NJ? Good luck...this house market is tanking now and is overpopulated with listings....you better go the condo/townhouse route....either way what you pay compared to what you get is HORRIBLE[/quote]

I think 499.99 is pretty high for a gaming machine. Sure, the graphics will be sweet, and I'm sure the games are going to be there. I have no doubt that i'll eventually get a system when the price drops.

But $533 (499.99 plus tax) plus another $60 or so is a LOT of money to spend at one time for a game system. Heck, there are only a few things in which I'd spend that much money on (Car, House, maybe TV). However, when I think about it a different way, if I keep and enjoy a PS3 for 4 years thats about $10 a month which is less than I pay for cable. But this doesn't include the costs associated with games and accessories.

The price of the system will probably closely mirror the cost of Blueray players at the time. So if you are in the market for one of those, the Ps3 could potentially be a great deal. Few people have the 1080p sets to fully take advantage of blueray's capabilities, but a lot of people would apprecate movies in 720p.

I have the money, but I guess gaming just isn't worth monetarily that much to me. I'd rather spend it on some Ps2 games that I never got around to playing. There are a lot that I missed.

Wow, I was hoping for a $399 system. Oh well, I'll wait for a price drop. Plus I'll probably be playing mostly PS1 and PS2 games on it instead of PS3.

[quote name='Roufuss']Is it really that hard to save up $50 a month? It's not like you have to drop $500 on the system next week, or do it all at once. Just budget it out.

Most people here drop $100 every two weeks on some clearance sale buying shitty titles they'll never play, just drop some of that into a savings account instead.[/QUOTE]

My game budget? $60/month tops . . . that that's for quality titles (still waiting for Burnout Revenge to be $15 after GCC at BB)

This is why I have loaded up on cheapass games . . . I can easily wait 2 years to get in on the PS3. Just to let the price of titles drop alone.

Not only are you getting a $600 game system but you have nothing but full-price games to play. fuck that!

I can afford the newer systems, I just don't see the need for them yet.

I still haven't opened "Bard's Tale" along with 20 other games.

[quote name='TC']Did they mention anything about a Tivo like function that makes the larger hard disk more useful?[/QUOTE]

youll almost never see that. Sony is too piracy crazy

[quote name='daroga']Setting it up in the Dual Shock design is just asking developers to ignore that it has motion sensing capabilites as well. With the Wii you've got to do something with that controller. This? It would be chepaer and easier to just make a normal game--especially when you're looking at highly expensive development costs in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I predict the gyroscopes will be used about as much as the pressure-sensitive buttons are used on the PS2 controller; Sony will primarily have this functionality just to say they have it, which will be enough to convince the soccer moms and 13-year-old fanboys that it's the high-quality version of the feature. Because you sure as hell ain't aiming in a FPS with that piece.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What loophole? Contracts expire and that's why we saw GTA on the Xbox. No loopholes or anything. Sony just signed exclusive agreements for six months or so with Rockstar.

Have you seen FFXII? No more random battles and the battle system doesn't solely rely on the menus. Add Sony's platforming series (of which we know Ratchet and Clank will make the PS3 jump) and their other franchises that will make the jump (Hot Shots Golf, Ape Escape, Killzone, and others) and you've got solid well-rounded support just from Sony (Not including FF, MGS, and GTA).

We don't know what are franchises just yet, but the titles from Naughty Dog and Insomniac look very promising, as well as Eight Days, Heavenly Sword, and Lair look like good candidates for future franchises.

Sony didn't lose Metal Gear Solid as an exclusive, the GC game was a remake of a 6 or 7 year old title and the Xbox version of Substance wasn't handled very well to give future multi-platform installment a good outlook. We won't know what will happen with the "Console War" until after these systems launch and have some time to bud (at least a year). Making predictions now is just stupid and most likely makes you seem fanboy-ish. Just go for the console(s) you are eagerly anticipating and be happy.[/QUOTE]

Your right I did kinda sound fanboy-ish there and didn't really make my point to well. Just for me, the games on the PS3 don't really excite me much, just seem like been there done that. You made some good points as well, and maybe after E3 there will be some games that interest me.

My big deal with the PS3, though, is it is being sold as a Blu-ray player not a game system. They will sell every system they have at launch cause of hardcore gamers, but after the first 6 months what casual gamer is going to have a 1080p hdtv, desperately wants to replace their dvd collection, and is going to spend well over $500 to do it, when they can spend a lot less and just get a game system from M$ or Nintendo? When the casual gamer just wants a game system in the first place? Sony is leaning really heavy on blu-ray and I just don't see people running out to buy PS3 for blu-ray the way they went out and bought PS2 and wanted the dvd player with it as well. Thats my big issue with PS3. I want a game system, not a blu-ray player. I will pick up PS3 probably at $300. Which is about right to me for a game system that I am not really that excited about.

dunno bout you but I thought heavenly sword looked like a whole lot of fun. the PS3 seems to have incredible animation quality. But then again the video feed was a bit small, guess i'll find out in 2 days. Good that the wii and ps3 both will be playable

There's a huge difference is being able to afford a PS3 and actually buying a PS3. It's just too expensive for what amounts to yet another video game system...

[quote name='jer7583']Sony got destroyed today. They look like fools.[/QUOTE]

Ok, you keep posting variations on the same thing in all the threads now... are you 15? Are you mentally handicapped?

Grow up, please.

We get it, you don't like Sony, please, just shut the fuck up.

EDIT: Used the wrong word.

[quote name='jalu6']youll almost never see that. Sony is too piracy crazy[/QUOTE]

I had to ask. $600 with Tivo would have been sweet.

So any word if this thing is going to be region encoded for the games or will it be like PSP where you can play import games on it but the UMD's are still region encoded. I hope Sony takes the PSP route because I will get a PS3 so I can play all those import PS1 and PS2 titles they never bring over here.

[quote name='MadFlava']So any word if this thing is going to be region encoded for the games or will it be like PSP where you can play import games on it but the UMD's are still region encoded. I hope Sony takes the PSP route because I will get a PS3 so I can play all those import PS1 and PS2 titles they never bring over here.[/QUOTE]

Its region free, I think.

[quote name='Roufuss']Its region free, I think.[/QUOTE]
PS3 games are region free but it is up in the air how the PS3 will handle PSX/PS2 games.

[quote name='jer7583']Sony got destroyed today. They look like fools.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, although the Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer just realllllllllly fucking made me pee my pants.

[quote name='Roufuss']Ok, you keep posting variations on the same thing in all the threads now... are you 15? Are you mentally handicapped?

Grow up, please.

We get it, you don't like Sony, please, just shut the fuck up.

EDIT: Used the wrong word.[/QUOTE]

I don't like $600 game systems, that's all. Good day.

Damn the PS3 got fat.

Last year's E3 - left
This year's E3 - right

It may weigh more than the original Xbox.

ps2point52xw.jpg

[quote name='evilmax17']Damn the PS3 got fat.

Last year's E3 - left
This year's E3 - right

It may weigh more than the original Xbox.
[/QUOTE]
Apparently they realized they needed fans and vents.

bread's done
Back