Sony PSP $99.99 Best Buy

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']who rated 1-stars? o_O[/QUOTE]

Same people who troll the tags? Hope mods are able to see who does it.

Back on topic: Good deal but Vita's coming soon. Guess they're starting to clear the PSPs out.

Maybe because it's already in the sticky thread about the Best Buy ad. Plus 10% off coupons generally don't work on sale priced items.

[quote name='sdcranford']Maybe because it's already in the sticky thread about the Best Buy ad. Plus 10% off coupons generally don't work on sale priced items.[/QUOTE]

yeah they don't :(

So the PSP is getting a universal price drop.

[quote name='Stry-ker']So with the vita around the corner is this worth $99? I know many deals can be had with umd vs buying from the psn[/QUOTE]

Folks keep asking this same question.
If you never had a psp, then the amount of entertainment you will find vs. the amount of money you will spend is (to me) is a "no contest". You can probably have 90% of the good games on the psp library, if you simply divert your Vita funds over.
Yes, it's old technology, but the psp library has so many good cheap games, and at the end of the day that's all that should matter.

If this would be a second system, the I'd say no, it's definitely not worth it.

[quote name='Stry-ker']So with the vita around the corner is this worth $99? I know many deals can be had with umd vs buying from the psn[/QUOTE]

You basically said it yourself. If there are games out now that you want they are going to get even cheaper, especially used, with Vita on the way.

But with Sony's idea of backwards compatibility being "you can download the games you own already for...a cheaper price" plan on playing those umd games ON your PSP.

Where are all the freebies with system purchase this year? TRU is the only store even offering a free game with a PSP 3000-Core this year on BF, so the pickings are underwhelming to say the least.

[quote name='ruibing']I hope it gets matched by amazon. I need a backup PSP before I transition to the vita.[/QUOTE]

Or you could get in the holiday spirit by supporting a brick and mortar retailer that gives jobs to people in your area. You're still getting a deal so why not be cheap and help out somebody else!

[quote name='ruibing']I hope it gets matched by amazon. I need a backup PSP before I transition to the vita.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping for this, too. I do not feel like paying $8 in sales tax this time of year.

Thanks for the heads up, OP. I know this may have been buried in another thread about BB, but it helps to have these kinds of things singled out. $100 is a great deal for a PSP, well worth the price. I ordered an extra as a backup, for store pickup. I have plenty of UMD games and plan to use them for years to come.

[quote name='biledriver']Or you could get in the holiday spirit by supporting a brick and mortar retailer that gives jobs to people in your area. You're still getting a deal so why not be cheap and help out somebody else![/QUOTE]

Thanks for bringing the political aspect into the forum. He should buy it wherever he feels like buying it.

I'm getting a Vita, but I think I still might get one of these since I never played much PSP and I know there are a lot of great games, and games that add on to the story of games that are out now for consoles. I have $500 in amazon credit, so hopefully they sell it for that much soon!

EDIT: Seems Amazon doesn't even have any to sell? http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-P...RN0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321806682&sr=8-1

Sold by "Above All Games"

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']Where are all the freebies with system purchase this year? TRU is the only store even offering a free game with a PSP 3000-Core this year on BF, so the pickings are underwhelming to say the least.[/QUOTE]

i was sort of shocked at this as well.. a worker at meijers said there was nothing this year due to the fact this is a last major push for the psp and they didnt want to do any package deals ..

last year was buy the 159 package get a 50 buck gift card

nothing this year.... expect the 99.99 price to be normal after the first of the year (if not sooner and expect a price drop to 79.99 after the vita hits ) this is mostly a major push to clear out the stock

what i sort of found shocking in a way best buy said they expect to support the psp well into 2013 (at least stock the games)

i have a 2 year old PSP i play off and on (mostly for RPGS)

i doubt i buy a VITA until 2013 (when the RPGS start showing up) I doubt you will see any RPGS for the VITA until hoilday 2012 or 2013 and by then i expect a price drop to 200 or less

I'm still waiting for these to drop hard, Feb isn't that far away.. I'd prob do $100 if it was a bundle deal, but for a core I'm waiting for $60-$70

[quote name='pimpster4183']I'm still waiting for these to drop hard, Feb isn't that far away.. I'd prob do $100 if it was a bundle deal, but for a core I'm waiting for $60-$70[/QUOTE]

I agree. I already have plenty of good DS games to satisfy my handheld desire. I really enjoy that it has so many RPGs, but I'm not interested in a core for triple digits. :( I have a feeling it'll drop faster once the Vita's out.

I've been waiting for it to hit $100 for a while, but now that it has I just have no interest in games suddenly. Is the talk of it going to $70 a pretty likely scenario or are they just hopeful guesses? I can wait a few months if it means saving another $30.

One thing I didn't see mentioned above to remember too is there are a lot of great PSP titles that are NOT available as downloads on PSN they are UMD disc ONLY.

Titles such as:

Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2
Lumines 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Ace Combat X (but the latest one is downloadable go figure)

So the only way to play those titles and titles like them would be to play them on a PSP 1k, 2k, 3k. Forget playing them on a PSPgo or Vita.

[quote name='powersurge']One thing I didn't see mentioned above to remember too is there are a lot of great PSP titles that are NOT available as downloads on PSN they are UMD disc ONLY.

Titles such as:

Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2
Lumines 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Ace Combat X (but the latest one is downloadable go figure)

So the only way to play those titles and titles like them would be to play them on a PSP 1k, 2k, 3k. Forget playing them on a PSPgo or Vita.[/QUOTE]

I'm 90% sure Crisis Core is on PSN now, but yeah those you listed are the biggest exceptions. Some other older Square Enix PSP games aren't on there either.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Because Sony totally isn't putting in an effort to put UMD games on PSN, right?

They'll show up. Be quiet and be patient.[/QUOTE]

Why should I be quiet and patient? Not all of those titles are even up to Sony. Some of them are issues with the publisher. I don't want someone to go out and buy a PSP go or Vita thinking they will be able to play everything in the PSP library when clearly thats not the case.

Look at this article by IGN (link below) that clearly states " "Square Enix, Inc. currently has no plans to release Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep through the PlayStation Store." and that was over a year ago and its still not on PSN (I just checked on my PSP).

http://psp.ign.com/articles/111/1116596p1.html

As for Final Fantasy Crisis Core I just checked and its not on PSN. The only PSP Final Fantasy games up are "Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection" and "Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions".

The UMD based PSP models will have plenty of life in them even after Vita hits even if its just to play titles that never made it up on the PSN store. IMO now's a great time to snap one up if you don't already have one.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Because Sony totally isn't putting in an effort to put UMD games on PSN, right?

They'll show up. Be quiet and be patient.[/QUOTE]

Alot of third party games will never be put on psn.

They'll show up. Be quiet and be patient.[/QUOTE]isnt this the same they they said when the go was released?

So I went to buy some $10 psp games at BB today and I got lucky and got the only kingdom hearts birth by sleep they had.

So for the PSP, even if I own a PS3 and have a physical copy of a PS1 game, I would still need to purchase the PS1 game again if it is on PSN? Reason I ask is that I have a physical copy of Xenogears I would like to finish one day

if you only have physical disc copy of Xenogears PS1, then you need to load Custom firmware on your psp so you can rip and copy the game onto your memory card

otherwise you will need to buy a copy on PSN.....however the digital copy you buy you can play on PS3/PSP

[quote name='cargo555']if you only have physical disc copy of Xenogears PS1, then you need to load Custom firmware on your psp so you can rip and copy the game onto your memory card

otherwise you will need to buy a copy on PSN.....however the digital copy you buy you can play on PS3/PSP[/QUOTE]

What was the difficulty of using the custom firmware? Can I load normal UMDs wit this in play?

Did Sony ever commented on how the UMDs will be transfer to the Vita? I have a bunch of PSP UMDs but no PSP as of this time and don't want to buy a new PSP if the Vita is gonna come out with some backward compatibility method.

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']Did Sony ever commented on how the UMDs will be transfer to the Vita? I have a bunch of PSP UMDs but no PSP as of this time and don't want to buy a new PSP if the Vita is gonna come out with some backward compatibility method.[/QUOTE]

For the Vita, Sony will have a utility for the PSP to confirm to your PSN account you own the UMD and then they will sell the game to you again for a reduced price....

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']Did Sony ever commented on how the UMDs will be transfer to the Vita? I have a bunch of PSP UMDs but no PSP as of this time and don't want to buy a new PSP if the Vita is gonna come out with some backward compatibility method.[/QUOTE]

They will do some converting :lol:.

For the Japanese market (supposedly), they have a program where they verify that you have the physical UMD, and then allow you to have the PSN version at a discount.:lol:
Except that the pricing has been labeled ridiculous (so far), since you can end up paying as much as $20-$30 for the download.

I'll hold the rest of my comments for when they announce this for the U.S., and get chewed up and spit out by gamers, and the press in general.

bread's done
Back