Soul Calibur IV Hori Arcade Stick (PS3/360) $8 off at Amazon

He wasn't making disparaging comments, he was simply stating that these sticks weren't good for the hardcore competition crowd, but were aimed at casual fighting game fans like myself.

[quote name='Ronin317']Definitely on the 360 one, you'll just have to download a driver for it. Not sure on the PS3 one. Either way, check out the FAQ over at Shoryuken.com's forums for all the details...[/quote]

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=141775

These seem to be the same instructions as what I linked in the Gamestop thread (that particular link is dead, which annoyed me as I needed them when I reinstalled my Windows :bomb:). Follow the steps and the 360 stick will work fine on your PC. Don't know about the PS3 one personally. The standard Windows drivers are OK for it, but the reason you want to load these drivers is because the LT and RT buttons (analog on your gamepad) will not work as digital buttons witht he standard driver. The profile that is linked in the thread above makes the necessary changes to make them digital. And yes, it works great with MAME and other emulators! :applause:

I've got two of the VF5 sticks (from the Gamestop $40 sell-off) and they work out OK. I am looking to mod them as well and am seeing various opinions on sticks, gates and buttons, just haven't really bothered. With SCIV coming that may change, but now it sounds like parts are sold out in anticipation for other modders! DOH!

I have friends who use Hori Fighting Stick EXs and rank (not highly, but rank nonetheless) in some of the big tournaments. These are pretty much the best sticks you can get for anywhere near this price. They're probably also the best sticks you can get at retail in the US at any price. The Hori RAP is other non-custom stick worth considering, but it runs ~$100 and is import-only (and doesn't appear to be in stock for the 360 at the moment).

If you're going to play fighting games at anything beyond the party/mash-buttons-flail-wildly level, you really owe it to yourself to get in on this deal (unless you've already got a better stick, natch, but even then you might pick one of these up as a back-up stick).

[quote name='NegativeZero']Does anyone know if we can use one stick for both systems?[/QUOTE]

No, you cannot (thanks, Microsoft, for your weird proprietary controller technology!). I decided to stick with my PS2->PS3 USB adapter (lag-free) coupled with my Tekken 5 Hori stick (PS2) for the PS3 and buy one of these SC IV Hori sticks for the 360. Yes, other players will have to bring their own sticks (or play with a standard controller -- ew!), but I'm cheap.

I already have the EX2 stick for the 360, but since I have Soulcalibur IV on pre-order for PS3, this will work perfectly right alongside it. In for one.

I have problems.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']The only thing insulting is your elitist attitude.[/QUOTE]

Shut the fuck up with your condescending bullshit.

Markman is only helping out people with his insight. The way these sticks are packaged, some players who aspire to be good might think they're great sticks. They're not, really. Average quality components make an average quality stick.

He offered information on an alternative joystick to those seeking something better. Pricier, yes, but you're not forced to buy it.

There was nothing elitist about his attitude. I believe the word you're looking for is professional. Like how a doctor's opinion about health is professional. To dismiss a doctor as elitist just means you don't understand what you're talking about.

I simpy cannot believe that some people are so insecure that they have to lash out at someone just trying to help. Seriously, Markman, THEY owe YOU an apology.

OP: Thanks for the deal, I've been looking at these sticks for my collection, and they were being sold for $60 at a local place.

Honestly for next get systems it isn't. There is no (official) adapter for the PS3 or 360 that is reliable yet for X-Arcades. You could use a Pelican/REAL with a PS2 hookup on an X-Arcade though.

But if you like American Style arcade sticks I would recommend getting a custom made. Unless the X-Arcade is the one with Happ parts, I wouldn't recommend it. The stick's quality isn't that good IMO.

Just my two cents.

B:L - ^_^

Dear MarkMan, I really like the Street Fighter 15th anniversary stick from Nubytech more than the Hori EX2 for the 360, does this make me a bad person?:lol:

But seriously, I don't really like the EX2 as much as the SF15th stick. I bought the EX2 for VF5, DOA4, and Soul Calibur IV and I ended up using the regular 360 controller for VF5 instead. It just felt more responsive than the EX2. The buttons on the EX2 could be pressed without feeling a click to let you know you pressed them and doing some half-circle motions felt just plain uncomfortable to me. Might need to just get used to it.

Also....If I said "Arcade Shark for the N64" would anyone know what I was talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about preference BlueSwim, I feel you there on your choice. Whatever is most comfortable for you would more than likely be the better arcade stick choice.

The Japanese styled arcade sticks vs the American styled ones are entirely different and the feel is worlds apart as well. Just stick to what you're used to and what you like.

Also Arcade Shark, I know about that stick. I'm a joystick guru after all ;)

HPIM1535.jpg

I decided to pick up a PS3 one. I'm a scrub, and I can't afford the RAP for dat Triple right now, so it's all good. :)

Thanks OP for the heads up and thanks MM for the stick insight!

And yes, MM really does know his joysticks, competition or otherwise. It's hard to accept when you aren't informed, I realize. I think MM was initially just trying to point out that unless you're a collector of sticks or just can't afford better, then it might be best to pass on these. In this case, though, I do qualify for both of those. :p

well i'm glad you just turned into a humble guru Markman.

Q: I own a T5 Hori stick. How does it compare to these news SCIV Hori Ex sticks?

[quote name='MarkMan']It's all about preference BlueSwim, I feel you there on your choice. Whatever is most comfortable for you would more than likely be the better arcade stick choice.

The Japanese styled arcade sticks vs the American styled ones are entirely different and the feel is worlds apart as well. Just stick to what you're used to and what you like.

Also Arcade Shark, I know about that stick. I'm a joystick guru after all ;)

HPIM1535.jpg
[/quote]

My cap, it be tipped to you.:applause::applause::applause: That thing works really well with Fighter's Destiny.......and.......uh.....and.......NOPE! Just Fighter's Destiny:lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='FurryCurry']well i'm glad you just turned into a humble guru Markman.

Q: I own a T5 Hori stick. How does it compare to these news SCIV Hori Ex sticks?[/quote]

Pretty good versus most sticks that come out in the US.

I'd rank it before any of the recent Hori Sticks (EX2 and FS3).

[quote name='gunm']

Thanks OP for the heads up and thanks MM for the stick insight!
[/quote]

No problem, I've been looking at these sticks for a while now I just needed a simple little fighting stick. If I ever get serious though I'll know who to ask. Thanks MarkMan for all your input.

[quote name='Shadow780']I've pre-ordered both sticks before the sale went on. Is there anyway to get the discounts now?[/quote]

Just email Amazon's customer service and let them know that you'd like to get a price adjustment. As long as your order was within 30 days, they will refund/credit you the difference.

[quote name='ZForce']I ordered one, not just for SC4, but for all those great 2D PS2 fighters I have :)[/quote]

Thanks, now I know exactly how to justify this purchase.

It's all mental. :)

[quote name='Shadow780']I've pre-ordered both sticks before the sale went on. Is there anyway to get the discounts now?[/QUOTE]

Call 1-800-201-7575 Ext.#7. Just give them your order number and answer billing info, then inform them of the price drop. They will adjust it and credit back the difference to your CC account. I like calling over emails, this way I get it from the "horse's mouth", so to speak.

Got my Soul Calibur Stick and tried it out on Golden Axe this morning. Works like a charm and you won't notice any difference really from the EX2 or DOA stick other than the art work, of course. 42 bucks is an acceptable price and not much more than a standard, wired controller. These will probably be a limited run, because I don't see anybody retailing the DOA Hori sticks now.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Got my Soul Calibur Stick and tried it out on Golden Axe this morning. Works like a charm and you won't notice any difference really from the EX2 or DOA stick other than the art work, of course. 42 bucks is an acceptable price and not much more than a standard, wired controller. These will probably be a limited run, because I don't see anybody retailing the DOA Hori sticks now.[/quote]

Yea, DOA stick is expensive as fuck. I want one too.

[quote name='MarkMan']Pretty good versus most sticks that come out in the US.

I'd rank it before any of the recent Hori Sticks (EX2 and FS3).[/quote]

How's the DOA stick rank in terms of the other Horis? I've been debating whether I need to upgrade my 360 joystick.

EDIT: I just read that they're the same as the EX2s in the thread. Whoops, sorry.

[quote name='georox']Yea, DOA stick is expensive as fuck. I want one too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if anything the SC stick will probably be worth more than 42 bucks in a year or so.

I just tried this with my NEORAGE emulator on PC and the joystick doesn't register. Anybody know why or if there are drivers to fix this?

[quote name='B:L']Shut the fuck up with your condescending bullshit.

Markman is only helping out people with his insight. The way these sticks are packaged, some players who aspire to be good might think they're great sticks. They're not, really. Average quality components make an average quality stick.

He offered information on an alternative joystick to those seeking something better. Pricier, yes, but you're not forced to buy it.

There was nothing elitist about his attitude. I believe the word you're looking for is professional. Like how a doctor's opinion about health is professional. To dismiss a doctor as elitist just means you don't understand what you're talking about.

I simpy cannot believe that some people are so insecure that they have to lash out at someone just trying to help. Seriously, Markman, THEY owe YOU an apology.

OP: Thanks for the deal, I've been looking at these sticks for my collection, and they were being sold for $60 at a local place.[/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly..and this isn't the only thread MMI needed to complain against others in.

personally, i'm not a fighting game fan except I love Soul Calibur. my best friend loves fighters. so, although you may have mentioned it Markman...how would you rank the best sticks? like this one, Hori RAP line, etc.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']I just tried this with my NEORAGE emulator on PC and the joystick doesn't register. Anybody know why or if there are drivers to fix this?[/quote]

Download the official MS drivers from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming

Just select wired xbox 360 controller and your OS.

It should work after getting that in. Also make sure you check in your device manager to see that the stick is recognized. A final option you can use if it won't recognize through the emulator is to use xpadder and have the buttons mapped to keyboard functions.

[quote name='Link127']my thoughts exactly..and this isn't the only thread MMI needed to complain against others in.

personally, i'm not a fighting game fan except I love Soul Calibur. my best friend loves fighters. so, although you may have mentioned it Markman...how would you rank the best sticks? like this one, Hori RAP line, etc.[/quote]

I'm thinking we should have a separate thread for this, but yea we should make a general arcade stick thread or something.

But i my opinion, the best sticks that are currently available/easily available will differ over each system/game.

For American styled sticks (360 only), the only place I would recommend right now is Arcade In A Box, a custom stick maker.

For Japanese styled sticks, Hori has the market on lock. You can't go wrong with an HRAP Hori stick or with a custom made stick.

Another very good stick(although has PCB issues with some emulators and with T5DR) is the Virtua Stick High Grade for PS3. IMO it is the best made stick to ever hit retail. Unfortunately it is no longer being made and it does have certain issues with compatibility. Other than that it is hands down the best constructed stick that was ever sold on the consumer level.

You can read my review on the VSHG here:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/ps3-vshg/virtua-stick-high-grade-review/

I also have a review for the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3(PS3) on the site as well.

If anyone wants to use PS2 arcade sticks, I highly support that as well. Just make sure you get a good converter! (Pelican or REAL) !

I can't seem to get this to work. Xpadder won't allow this to register as a joystick, but rather a d-pad. That works fine, but the problem is NEORAGE recognizes the EX2 stick as a joystick, not a d-pad. Because of this I cannot assign the stick to the control functions in the controls menu.

With xpadder you need to coordinate each button to a keyboard input. Then have those corresponding buttons set as the control options in NEORAGE.

If that still doesn't work there are other drivers out there, not sure on which ones to use though. I usually have had no problem getting it to work with just the MS driver.

Nope, and more than likely there won't be one. ;( Thank Microsoft for that.

There is one option (expensive), the XFPS. BUT.

Unless you have an analog signal based controller/arcade stick, it will lag horrendously.

I gave up after a while and will have to try again later on. I can't get past NEORAGEx not offering a d-pad style controller setup. It's either joystick (analog) or keyboard. Surely somebody with one of these EX2 sticks has solved this problem.

One negative I found on 360 is the new Commando game won't work with the SC stick. Assault Heroes won't either, but I figured that since the right stick on the controller is used to fire.

Since the EX2 sends out a digital only signal it won't be recognized by all games unless there is dpad support.

Again for PC games, this shouldn't be an issue, you can use xpadder to remap to keyboard options as a last resort.

Alright, I think I got it pretty well set with xpadder. Got Nebula running with it, as well. Gotta love Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Thanks for your help, Mark.

Out of curiosity, what games would this work for other than SC4, and obvious fighters. It says Adventure, Action, and classic games available on XBLA in the write-up, but has anyone used the stick for games other than fighters (and, that actually make the game better?)

Any recommendations? This would be a sweet pickup for me because I am going to get SC4, but I don't know what else it would be good for, and I don't want to get something for only one game.

[quote name='jeromechef']Out of curiosity, what games would this work for other than SC4, and obvious fighters. It says Adventure, Action, and classic games available on XBLA in the write-up, but has anyone used the stick for games other than fighters (and, that actually make the game better?)

Any recommendations? This would be a sweet pickup for me because I am going to get SC4, but I don't know what else it would be good for, and I don't want to get something for only one game.[/QUOTE]

The only games that will really benefit from an arcade stick are the arcade-style games that were designed with that control set-up in mind: 2D Fighters, 3D Fighters, SHMUPS, and beat 'em ups. If this is the only game you own in any of those genres, it probably isn't worth your time to bother with the stick.

[quote name='jeromechef']Out of curiosity, what games would this work for other than SC4, and obvious fighters. It says Adventure, Action, and classic games available on XBLA in the write-up, but has anyone used the stick for games other than fighters (and, that actually make the game better?)

Any recommendations? This would be a sweet pickup for me because I am going to get SC4, but I don't know what else it would be good for, and I don't want to get something for only one game.[/quote]

I've used the Hori EX2 successfully with:

Time Pilot
Galaga
Pac-Man (Normal and CE)
SFII
Puzzle Fighter
Bejeweled
Soul Calibur
Ikaruga (god IRbadz at that game)
Triggerheart Excelia
New Rallly-X

You get the idea.....

The games that require both analog sticks (one to move, one to shoot, like Assault Heroes) aren't the target use for em.

Wow...this thread took quite a turn since I last looked at it...

Let me try to balance things a bit here - if you're a nutso fighting game fanatic, and you play a ton of them, then it's probably in your best interests to spend more on a dedicated, arcade perfect stick, or mod one of the lower tier ones. If you're just a huge fan, the 'standard' current Hori sticks are more than adequate. This includes the T5 stick.

I play a fair amount, and I'm a Soul Calibur addict, and I have 3 sticks (agetec DC, Hori T5 ps2, and Hori EX2 360), and I'm not too shabby a player, not ranked as I've never tried, but I'm using non-modded sticks and I do just fine. I think I may mod the T5 stick, just because it seems like a fun project, and pretty easy.

And I will vouch for Markman...dude knows his shit. Between him and SRK's forums, I'm more knowledgable on arcade sticks than any reasonable game fan should be...

so did anyone verify that the ps3 stick works with ps2 games or not? If i missed it, i'm sorry

thanks op,picked up the ps3 stick and it has already shipped...

quick question Markman:

Are there any other titles for ps3/2 outside of the fighter genre that this stick would be good for?

Shooters. That's the only thing I can think of.

Also just a note to anyone using this for PS2 games while playing PS3.

PS3 has lag with all PS2 games using BC. There is a 3 frame(at least) video buffer issue. So if you notice a difference between timing compared to playing your PS2 games on an actual PS2, that's what you're feeling.

[quote name='MarkMan']Shooters. That's the only thing I can think of.

PS3 has lag with all PS2 games using BC. There is a 3 frame(at least) video buffer issue. So if you notice a difference between timing compared to playing your PS2 games on an actual PS2, that's what you're feeling.[/QUOTE]

Is this only via software emulation or including emotion engine ps3's as well (20gb/60gb)? I haven't really tested it but I started building a slight backlog of ps2 fighting agmes, GG, MVC2, CVS2, T5DR, etc.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting this stick for my ps3, I sort of want to get a slightly higher end one for it, short of modding my own. Well actually, I Have a ps2 pelican real arcade stick and I'm just too lazy to find parts to mod into it.

I really did wish they had one that would work both for the ps3 and 360 since I have games on both I would like to play with an arcade stick.

It exists only when using backwards compatibility and is for all PS3s. Doesn't matter if it's hardware or software emulation. ;(

[quote name='MarkMan']Shooters. That's the only thing I can think of.

PS3 has lag with all PS2 games using BC. There is a 3 frame(at least) video buffer issue. So if you notice a difference between timing compared to playing your PS2 games on an actual PS2, that's what you're feeling.[/quote]

thanks for the response !

bread's done
Back