Soul Calibur IV Hori Arcade Stick (PS3/360) $8 off at Amazon

[quote name='MarkMan']It exists only when using backwards compatibility and is for all PS3s. Doesn't matter if it's hardware or software emulation. ;([/QUOTE]

That sucks. So it comes down to lag or faster loading..

Pretty much.

If you want the best experience possible (response time wise) for a PS2 game, I suggest playing a PS2. If you're playing another game where 3 frames of lag won't affect you, then play it on the PS3. PS3 BC is still great for a bunch of games out there. I pretty much use the PS3 for all my PS2 games except fighters.

This thread is making me rethink about getting a PS3 with BC, as in, not getting one. Sure, it's a matter of convenience and one less box in my cabinet, but messing around with emulation for so many years has taught me one thing: nothing is like the real thing. If you can have the real thing, use it.

I'm going to keep an eye on the 40GB PS3 and see if it goes down when the new 80GB comes out. I still like playing my fighters on PS2 (and Dreamcast ZOMG!) and if there are issues with the PS3 BC, no matter how slight, I'd rather avoid it altogether.

I looked at some screenies of the Hori RAP EX for XBox 360; is it me or is the joystick a little too close to the buttons? I love the black look though!

hori-pro-arcade-ex.jpg

source: http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2008/7/hori-pro-arcade-ex.jpg

That's how all HRAP arcade sticks are. Just takes some getting used to. If you have big hands though, might take more getting used to though, lol.

Also yea, it sucks about BC, but I've come to accept it and just use my PS2 for PS2 fighters.

I don't know if Sony can fix it through updates, but you would think they would have done so by now if people really cared. + not everyone knows about it.

I still like my Namco PSX joystick (example below, only clear pic I could find online). That thing is tough. I even used it as my "foot pedal" for Time Crisis back in the day and it's still going strong! I need to get another PSX->USB adapter and get back to MAMEing with that one, as I really don't like the Hori EX stick (too loose for my tastes).

PSinterface2.jpg

ZOMG! I remember getting mine at a Target clearanced for $19.99 way back in the day like 1997 or so (I think Tekken 2 was out around that time). There was 3 of them, and figured I was OK with 1, Went back a few days later and of course they were gone :( That metal base gets COLD!

heh I own two of those namco sticks above, I got them both used for like 12 bucks or something back in the day. Theres no way they work on the PS3 right? They did work for tekken 5 for ps2 8)

I have the Tekken 5 stick from the Ultimate Collector's Edition. Will it work on a PS3 using an adapter/converter?

[quote name='eau']I have the Tekken 5 stick from the Ultimate Collector's Edition. Will it work on a PS3 using an adapter/converter?[/quote]

Yes, please see below...

[quote name='vgmben']heh I own two of those namco sticks above, I got them both used for like 12 bucks or something back in the day. Theres no way they work on the PS3 right? They did work for tekken 5 for ps2 8)[/quote]

They work perfectly on PS3 if you have either a Pelican PS2 to PS3 adapter or REAL PS2/PS3 converter. You can read my review and some info on each converter here:

The only bad thing about the REAL PS2/PS3 converter is the fact that it performs poorly with Dual Shock 2 controllers ;(

[quote name='MarkMan']We should totally make a fighting game equipment ARCADE STICKS/CONVERTERS/GAMEPADS + more thread.[/quote]

I agree...but in reality I just end up over at Shoryuken. There are people there that are like MacGuyver with sticks...

[quote name='MarkMan']Pretty much.

If you want the best experience possible (response time wise) for a PS2 game, I suggest playing a PS2. If you're playing another game where 3 frames of lag won't affect you, then play it on the PS3. PS3 BC is still great for a bunch of games out there. I pretty much use the PS3 for all my PS2 games except fighters.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the PS3 lag only applies to 480i games that are deinterlaced by the PS3 (e.g., over HDMI). Games that natively support 480p don't exhibit this problem when run in native 480p mode.

Unfortunately, KoF XI (US) doesn't support 480p. :( Thankfully, Alpha Anthology does support 480p. :)

[quote name='Poor2More']I was wondering can you use the PS3 SC Arcade Stick with a 360? just wishful thinking[/QUOTE]

No, you cannot. (Well, possibly through an XFPS, but that's extremely buggy, laggy and twice the price of a 360 stick anyway.)

OK, got 2 of the 360 ones. Thanks, OP. Also thanks to Markman. Remember, being called casual by Markman doesn't mean you only play Wii Fit with your Grandma, it just means you aren't necessarily an internationally ranked Third Strike Champion.

In the absence of an official arcade stick thread, I have a question. I recently bought this arcadeinabox.com stick on eBay:

aib1.jpg

It's fabulous, but how difficult would it be to swap the bat top for a nice ball-top stick? The stick presently uses a Happ stick and happ buttons.

[quote name='gkrykewy']In the absence of an official arcade stick thread, I have a question. I recently bought this arcadeinabox.com stick on eBay:

aib1.jpg

It's fabulous, but how difficult would it be to swap the bat top for a nice ball-top stick? The stick presently uses a Happ stick and happ buttons.[/quote]
- I would go to the www.shoryuken.com forums and ask there. There are a lot of posters that can help you.

[quote name='emagius']IIRC, the PS3 lag only applies to 480i games that are deinterlaced by the PS3 (e.g., over HDMI). Games that natively support 480p don't exhibit this problem when run in native 480p mode.

Unfortunately, KoF XI (US) doesn't support 480p. :( Thankfully, Alpha Anthology does support 480p. :)
[/quote]

That'd be nice if that were the case. But the lag is there no matter how you connect your PS3 and no matter what resolution is native to the game.

It's been tested countless times ;( Both by others who know more about it than I do, and myself with Tekken 5(which supports 480p).

---

YEA Someone should make an arcade stick thread in the general gaming forum!

Also, CAG FIGHT CLUB = http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191027

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro stick and a Virtua Stick High Grade (both PS3)... this stick is less than half of what I paid for those... but still tempting as a spare...

Thanks for your input MarkMan.

You briefly mentioned the X-Arcade stick but I hope that you can elaborate.

If you had to choose the Hori SCIV stick or the X-Arcade stick with PS3 adapter for both SCIV and SF4 which would you choose?

I want to get a joystick but I am not sure which to get. Is the X-Arcade stick worth the extra price?

Thanks!

[quote name='MarkMan']If you have both of those sticks, don't bother. You're already living as a king ;)[/quote]

too bad my VF and T5DR skillz don't show that... :cry:

[quote name='Mr.Bojangles']Any other coupons for Amazon to lower the price some more?:D[/quote]

There are practically no such thing aside from promo codes which are usually one time use only.

Off-topic question...MarkMan, you mentioned Shoryuken, which is probably the pre-eminent Street Fighter forum on the Net. What are the other major fighting game forums? I have VF5, and SCIV is on its way.

well, this is the first fighting stick i'm ordering since the Sega Genesis Arcade stick(i thought was great in all its plasticness at the time). anyone know if there are durability issues w/ these sticks? i don't go through controllers and play 2-4 hrs. a day. usually they're done by yrs. 4 or 5.

[quote name='TURBO']360 version's down to 49.79[/quote]
That's from Hubbagames.

And wow, I was a little tempted by the price being down to $52, but with the Bill Me Later, I don't know if I can resist this. I am a casual fighter gamer at best, but I wouldn't mind playing some XBLA games with this (especially Castle Crashers when it comes). Has there been any trouble with the "Bill Me Later" option so far? I figure that this stick will drop to $40 when a SF4 one comes out, but I don't feel like waiting that long... these sticks go up in price anyway when they are OOP :)

Is there any advantage to getting the PS3 stick with its two extra face buttons over the 360 one?

[quote name='Safero']Is there any advantage to getting the PS3 stick with its two extra face buttons over the 360 one?[/QUOTE]

The main advantage I see is that it would work on your PS3. Conversely, a major disadvantage is that it would not work on a 360.

After a few days with the SC stick I would say I'm happy with it and would recommend it at the 42 dollar price if you just need a stick on the cheap. It works well with my PC games, although it took some doing with the help of mark. SO far for 360 I've used it on Golden Axe, Streets of Rage 2 and last night put it to the test playing Virtua Fighter 5. I didn't have any problems really with such a technical game like VF5, which makes games like Tekken and Street Fighter look like child's play. My lack of skill playing VF5 can't be blamed on the SC stick. lol

I received my PS3 version yesterday and I'm quite happy with it. It is larger than I thought it would be.

I've also updated the prices for the Xbox360 version since it is currently OOS with Amazon directly. You can still get it for a few dollars more though the site though from Hubbagames. (I'll update it again if it becomes available again through Amazon proper)

Hey all,

I've been following the thread, and I went ahead and bought the 360 version. I appreciate everyone's input very much thus far, it's nice to have so many knowledgeable folks around. Anyway, I was going to go ahead and mod it with the bat-top and 8-way plate, and I was wondering if I would need any sort of guide to switch out the plate (I imagine the stick is pretty straight forward). If it's just as simple as taking the top off, taking out some screws, and switching it, that's groovy, but if there's potential to screw something up, I would appreciate it if someone could link me to a guide or provide an explanation.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='-X-']Hey all,

I've been following the thread, and I went ahead and bought the 360 version. I appreciate everyone's input very much thus far, it's nice to have so many knowledgeable folks around. Anyway, I was going to go ahead and mod it with the bat-top and 8-way plate, and I was wondering if I would need any sort of guide to switch out the plate (I imagine the stick is pretty straight forward). If it's just as simple as taking the top off, taking out some screws, and switching it, that's groovy, but if there's potential to screw something up, I would appreciate it if someone could link me to a guide or provide an explanation.

Thanks in advance![/quote]

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149488&referrerid=13029

http://www.championedition.com/?p=17

As for the joystick, taken from a website "You may also open the case by unscrewing the metal plate from the bottom of the controller, then use a Flathead screwdriver at the base of the shaft to screw the ball/bat top on or off. The joystick was designed to be adjusted this way."

Should be more than enough info. Once you get your stick everything well seem easier to understand.

[quote name='jdeluis']http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149488&referrerid=13029

http://www.championedition.com/?p=17

As for the joystick, taken from a website "You may also open the case by unscrewing the metal plate from the bottom of the controller, then use a Flathead screwdriver at the base of the shaft to screw the ball/bat top on or off. The joystick was designed to be adjusted this way."

Should be more than enough info. Once you get your stick everything well seem easier to understand.[/quote]

Wow, this is extremely helpful. I really appreciate it, thanks for your time!

[quote name='MarkMan']If anyone was curious, Play-Asia currently has the Amazon Japan exclusive HRAP3 and HRAP1 in stock:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/hori-real-arcade-pro-amazon-jp-ps2/

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/hori-real-arcade-pro-3-amazon-jp-ps3/

Both work perfectly with SC IV. The PS2 one needs a converter; I'd suggest the REAL one:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/converters/real-ps2ps3-converter/[/QUOTE]
I'm so tempted by the RAP 3, but i cant get over how the buttons slope down to the right. I've never played on a stick like that, not sure if i could get used to it or not.

I could see how it might be more ergonomic if you play w/ your arm to a 90 degree angle to your stomach. but that feels awkward since you have to twist your wrist in that position., i usually have my right arm on a slight angle w/ my elbow pointing slightly to the right, so my palm is parallel w/ the stick's surface & my hand is level with my forearm (no wrist twist).

From someone with experience with both US style (straight) and JPN style (ergo)... I'd say that the transition between the two isn't hard at all. The JPN style button layout is very comfortable and you don't event have to move your hand placement.

Give it a try.

MarkMan,

I'm hoping that Capcom will produce a SFIV stick. I've browsed a bit of shoryuken and some of the Capcom forums but I haven't gotten any hard info. Do you have any information related to that? I'd much prefer a SFIV stick over a SC stick, assuming the quality is the same or better. Thanks.

Got my controller today, I've been firing it up on various PS2 fighters, seems pretty solid so far. My only (somewhat minor) issue is that the stick is a bit short for my hand. If the controller is modable, I can put a bat style stick in later.

[quote name='MarkMan']From someone with experience with both US style (straight) and JPN style (ergo)... I'd say that the transition between the two isn't hard at all. The JPN style button layout is very comfortable and you don't event have to move your hand placement.

Give it a try.[/QUOTE]
I would give it a try if i could find one to try :p

i think ill end up just getting the 360 SC4 stick, then selling it or giving it away when i get the tekken 6 & SC4 sticks.

bread's done
Back