SoulCalibur IV - (10.17.08) - Vader/Yoda DLC set to release on 10/23 [400 points]

I play as Sieg, Kilik, and... well, not nightmare. I've been trying to learn Amy. She's a lot different from the types of characters I normally play, so it's kind of jarring, but fun.

I still play this all the time, just not much against randoms online because I suck against Kilik. I really need to work on that.

I actually started using Rock a little and he's pretty fun even though I have a ways to go before I'm any good. Tossing people off the stage never gets old, at least.

[quote name='Chacrana']I play as Sieg, Kilik, and... well, not nightmare. I've been trying to learn Amy. She's a lot different from the types of characters I normally play, so it's kind of jarring, but fun.[/quote]
it's not playing them that annoys me, it's doing the same moves over. Such as starting the match with that poke....I'm also starting to see a lot of Yun Seons too.

i wanna get back to playing this... i feel i'm getting rusty. if people want to have regular get togethers for CAG again let me know... again probably saturday nights or firday nights work best.

online?!?

you all need to play some offline! that's where the excitement's at.

i've seen 2 people block Cass's 1A online.
i've seen 2 people NOT block Cass's 1A offline.

JFs, GIs, no more lag frame advantage and infinite BB combo and unblockable amy 3BAs...

Ha! Finally ditched Clearwire and will be receiving a (hopefully) working, stable, and above all else fast connection in a week. I play online now but limit it to just matches with my friend. Playing random people in slow motion is no fun at all (for either parties, I'm sure).

That being said, I'm down for some online action soon (360). I'm of the whoever-the-heck-I-feel-like-playing school of fighters, though lately I've been practicing with Ivy. I've also been playing since I plunked two tokens into a Soul Blade arcade machine (the version with Hwang) if that means anything ;)

What exactly do the tiers mean?

My favorite character is Yun Seong. He's really fun to play, and I think he has some nice combos, but apparently he is low tier. I don't really get this.

Does it basically mean that a really good Yun wouldn't have a shot against a really good Ivy or someone high tier? If so, that's really gay.

[quote name='akilshohen']it's not playing them that annoys me, it's doing the same moves over. Such as starting the match with that poke....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, there's way too much of that shit. My character selections prevent people from taking me seriously in this and Street Fighter... at least, for like the first match.

Level 20 in Soul Calibur 4.
Two more shitty achivements to go...
God descending The Lost Tower is a bitch. The highest I completed was 17.

I'm at the same rock you are. I'm trying to get the level 20 online first though.
At least it's not like karamari with the 50 and 100 hours.....

I gave it a few more goes and did Sigownage's move back a bit and do the massive overhead swing thingy (cause im too lazy to look up the actual move name right now) worked every time till about level 25 where I got owned by two kitties. Got the achivements anyways.

Now time to farm gold and get the last achivement.

[quote name='DarthPuma']What exactly do the tiers mean?

My favorite character is Yun Seong. He's really fun to play, and I think he has some nice combos, but apparently he is low tier. I don't really get this.

Does it basically mean that a really good Yun wouldn't have a shot against a really good Ivy or someone high tier? If so, that's really gay.[/quote]
Generally it's accepted that certain characters are better than others and they list them in tiers.

I wouldn't call Yun low tier, if only because it seems new stuff is being figured out for each character every week. Hilde's shooting up to the top now.

Even then, it's rare you'll ever find two people with exact skill levels and skill sets. Keep playing Yun till you can't win with him.

Getting good at this game is hard. >.<

Got my 236B and 33B A+B combos down well enough with Cassandra, but now I don't know what to practice. Still getting my ass kicked hard by the Edge Master Cassandra. She strings all this shit together I can't figure out to how to do, and ground controls me crazy well which I can't figure out how to do.

[quote name='MarkMan']You can't AC that. lol.[/quote]

I'd like to think that I can, its a reaction just to try, I mean, you dont attempt to move away when you're getting hit?

Um, I don't think you understand the concept... that is a COMBO. You can't escape it. At no point after the C3 B can you escape it. Once you get hit by the first move, you can't AC at all.

I hope you understand that a bit better. The only way you can live is if they mess up the combo, and even then, you CAN'T AC.

Guaranteed 110-115 damage if not near an edge, 120+ if near a wall. Near edge = RO. Sounds like a pretty wicked COMBO to me.

Hilde looks like she will really be bringing the pain. And my community has about 5 or 6 people already playing Hilde (Even before all this stuff became known), fun.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Getting good at this game is hard. >.<

Got my 236B and 33B A+B combos down well enough with Cassandra, but now I don't know what to practice. Still getting my ass kicked hard by the Edge Master Cassandra. She strings all this shit together I can't figure out to how to do, and ground controls me crazy well which I can't figure out how to do.[/quote]
Practice all your guaranteed damage combos:
236 236 236B
236 2B+G
3B 236B
66B 4BB:A
1A 236B
1K 4BB:A
66B+G 66B+K 4BB:A
CH 2K+B 4BB:A

Make sure you know how to block strings.
Make sure you know how to punish moves. (Ex: Mitsurugi's 66BB gives a free 236 combo, his 1A only gives 236B).
4AB is your "safe" CF spam move. I say "safe" because the B can be GIed.
Know your tech crouches, 2K+B and 236A. I like to use blocked 33B into 2K+B.

I'm still stuck at the "learning to block" phase. I don't know about playing the CPU though.

[quote name='kainzero']Practice all your guaranteed damage combos:
236 236 236B
236 2B+G
3B 236B
66B 4BB:A
1A 236B
1K 4BB:A
66B+G 66B+K 4BB:A
CH 2K+B 4BB:A

Make sure you know how to block strings.
Make sure you know how to punish moves. (Ex: Mitsurugi's 66BB gives a free 236 combo, his 1A only gives 236B).
4AB is your "safe" CF spam move. I say "safe" because the B can be GIed.
Know your tech crouches, 2K+B and 236A. I like to use blocked 33B into 2K+B.

I'm still stuck at the "learning to block" phase. I don't know about playing the CPU though.[/quote]

Wow, thanks man.

Still trying to get the timing down on the 4BB:A's. I really am liking some of these combos. I'm going to get the basics of blocking and stuff down before I move on to counters.

blocking is just something that comes down to experience. i'm often guilty of trying to attack in the middle of an opponent's string. i remember i used to play DOAU and once i got over that, my record went from 20-50 to like, 250-100. in SC it's a bit more important because of GIs, you wanna be able to GI strings when you can, learn in practice mode.

same with 4BB:A. i assumed i could do it in every match, and it's just now coming true.

guaranteed punishment is something you should always look for and practice. i do it all the time in training mode, i don't even play online or CPU anymore, just training mode.

fuck you Taki, Kilik, and Cervy players!

Total overall (360)

soulcg1.jpg

Total overall styles used for custom characters (360)

soulcg2.jpg

[quote name='metaly']If the second chart is CAS only, how come it has Algol and the Star Wars guys?

And yeah, fuck on Kilik and Cervantes.[/quote]

I think it takes into account created character styles + character usage.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think it takes into account created character styles + character usage.[/quote]

Got it... The chart is slightly different than what I thought.

And only one guy was using Xianghua? :whistle2:# Boo.

September 18, 2008 - Patch 1.03 Released on Xbox Live in US

PATCH 1.03

System Changes
- Soul Crushes are harder to pull off (moves generally take off less from the soul gauge)
+ You can JI throws
+ laggy stage are much improved but not completely fixed

Ivy:

- SW WS B is FIXED.... it hits TOTALLY different, SW WS B -> BT A+B no longer forward RO and can't follow up with the old combo, so no more infinites..
- whip 6A+B does less damage
+ JF CS is easier to do (window is bigger)
- whip 3B worse recover
- CS range seems to be shorter... it's covers around 'one character width' away (hm... don't know how to translate that but you can go figure)

Algol:

-3B~41236B->3B - damage scaled down to 70 (before was 90)
-if 22B is hit in the air... it no longer provides a stun for 2A+B to bounce juggle
-8A+B in juggles will set them flying backwards... for BT B+K so 33B -> 8A+B -> BT B+K ... it does horrible damage compared to before... he mentioned something like 50? yeah
-66A+G throw pushes further back

Cassandra:
- 66B+K doesn't pick up the opponent like before...
- you can do five i236 in a row lol... (probably shitty damage)
- 66A+B on airborne can NOT connect the 4 jf
- 236 recovery on block is worse you're looking at BB for most characters

Sophitia:
-BB damage is weaker now
-3A+B hit airborne once

Yoshimitsu:
-a:B+K damage is weaker, and can not follow up with 3AB UNLESS you do 2a:B before that.... making it harder
-44bA no longer rapes soul gauge like before.. takes around four 44bA against the wall for CF... not like before two 44bA no walls.....
- after a:B+K vs airborne (in juggle), 66B can be teched to the left (but i'm sure he didn't test it against all characters.....and no we don't plan to test against all characters)

Amy:
-3BA no longer rapes soul gauge does less damage

Raphael:
- BB no longer tracks like no tomorrow...

Setsuka:
-A+G throw is 5 less damage

Voldo:
- BS 236A no longer stuns
- BS 22B won't relaunch the airborne opponent
- combo damage is weaker

Astaroth:
- 6K is -14

Xianghua:
+ 214B+G B hits Astaroth

Talim:
- A+K Tech Jump time is less

Cervantes:
-11K has less advantage on block
- regular hit 3B can not connect i214B+K only CH version can.

Tira:
-infinite against talim doesn't work (didn't even know there was an infinite lol)
+ 2A no longer whiffs

Siegfried:
-3 SCH B no longer combos

Kilik:
+ B+K will auto GI mid horizontal/vertical non-kick attacks. smaller GI window

The Apprentice:
+ A+B throw break has better recovery

Nightmare:
- FC A+G_B+G against head towards opponent does NOT guarantee any types of throws... meaning COMBOS like, NSS A+B -> iFC A+G -> throw or BT 2K -> iFC A+G -> back throw can both be ducked.

All I have to say on that patch is: THANK fuckING CHRIST they removed Raphael's "track you anywhere you go" vertical attack. That annoyed me to no end playing against him online.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Looks like I'll be even worse with cas since they nerfed the 236 b.[/quote]
well, you really shouldn't be spamming 236 anyway. i think it was unsafe to AA, now it's unsafe to BB. *shrug*

more important is the 66B+K nerf, you can't do easy mode combos like 66B+G, 66B+K 236B, now you actually gotta hit your just frame =)

also she lost the JF 66A+B:4 on air combos, so now you might as well do 33B 44B+K, it does 2 less damage than 33B A+B 66A+B, but you can just ukemi the A+B so why risk it...

[quote name='kainzero']well, you really shouldn't be spamming 236 anyway. i think it was unsafe to AA, now it's unsafe to BB. *shrug*

more important is the 66B+K nerf, you can't do easy mode combos like 66B+G, 66B+K 236B, now you actually gotta hit your just frame =)

also she lost the JF 66A+B:4 on air combos, so now you might as well do 33B 44B+K, it does 2 less damage than 33B A+B 66A+B, but you can just ukemi the A+B so why risk it...[/quote]

I thought 236 b was the big attack to use lol. God I'm bad at this game.

236 is great as a punisher / interrupter, since it's 15 frames to startup (read: quick) but you can't spam it, you need to recognize when to use it.

the attack i spam the most is 2B+K, because it's fast, TCs and you get good damage and wakes off of CH.

at range i like 3B, it's safe and you don't give the opponent a lot, if any advantage at the right distance.

66A+B for long distance whiff punishing...

The DLC is extremely weak.

For Males -
Jack-O-Lantern head piece: It's a pumpkin for your head.
Wizard's Mantle neck piece: It's a simple red cloak with high collars. Very Dr. Strange-ish

For Females -
Jack-O-Lantern head piece
Frilled Shirt chest piece - Looks designed for a maid
Short Slops - Mid-Thigh length shorts with a large bow on the back
Velvet Shoes - They're shoes...with Fringe on the top

And that's all I could find. Very underwhelming.

bread's done
Back