Splatterhouse - The original horror action title is back. Now available!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]pfDX00DRcq4[/youtube]

Splatterhouse is the 3D reboot/sequel to the original Splatterhouse series of games from Namco. The first Splatterhouse appeared in arcades before being ported to Turbografx-16. Splatterhouse 2 and 3 were Sega Genesis games. All 3 of these games are unlockable in the new game. For the full series history, visit HardcoreGaming 101.

Now, more than 10 years after the last game, Rick Taylor and the Terror Mask are back! The evil scientist Dr. West murders Rick and kidnaps his girlfriend Jennifer. But the Terror Mask bonds with Rick and brings him back to life, giving him superhuman strength and Wolverine-like healing abilities. The mask actually talks and argues with Rick now, giving the game some personality.

Reviews

Previews

splatterhouse-20101015090200171_640w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading about this on kotaku or gonemicrosoft. Never played the game, though I remember seeing the video of the VC release. Nothing too impressive, but well I guess it will definitely be seeing some big changes now and not have all those restrictions and censorship it had originally.

Me and my friend back when this first came out on Sega Genisis played this for 18 hours straight untill 11 am the next day, the first all nighter I pulled back in my childhood

[quote name='Poor2More']Win, Me and my Friend played this game for 18 hours straight until 11 am the next day, the first all nighter I pulled[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Poor2More']Me and my friend back when this first came out on Sega Genisis played this for 18 hours straight untill 11 am the next day, the first all nighter I pulled back in my childhood[/QUOTE]
Quoted for insanity.

Great news. I love SplatterHouse. It was the "gore" game of it's time. I still own and play Splatterhouse 2 & 3 on Genisis and the original on MAME.

[quote name='retail sucks']Great news. I love SplatterHouse. It was the "gore" game of it's time. I still own and play Splatterhouse 2 & 3 on Genisis and the original on MAME.[/QUOTE]

I believe it came out at home on the Turbo Grafx 16 first. Well thats where I first played it anyways.

[quote name='screwkick']I believe it came out at home on the Turbo Grafx 16 first. Well thats where I first played it anyways.[/QUOTE]

Iit was a Japan only arcade game first then ported to the TG-16, FM Towns,(sounds like a radio station) & PC which the Turbo Grafx 16 was where I played it first too.

http://splatterhouse.classicgaming.gamespy.com/games.html

Ports
Splatterhouse was released in various home version ports on the TurboGrafx-16, FM Towns and PC.

Though the Japanese PC-Engine (Japanese name of the TurboGrafx-16) version of the game remains largely unedited, the Western TurboGrafx-16 version features a number of changes, as well as standard changes for an arcade port at the time, caused by the less-powerful hardware of the console (loss of graphical detail, removal of some sounds). They include the following:

The introduction cut scene is shortened and Jennifer's scream is removed.
The Terror Mask is changed from a white hockey mask to a red mask with black accents. This is to keep Rick from looking too much like Jason Voorhees. The mask became more skull-like in later games.
The first weapon in Stage 1 is changed from a meat cleaver to a 2x4.
A general toning down of violence and gore. For instance, less blood comes from enemies when they are smashed against walls. The gruesome sound effects were also toned down.
All references to the Stage 4 boss area being a church are removed, including the altar.
"Evil Cross", the boss of Stage 4 is totally replaced with a new enemy, "Evil Sleep", and his heads are renamed "The Nightmares" (only three of the original six in the arcade game are present) and the weapon for the boss is changed from an axe to a gold meat cleaver, the only cleaver in the game.
The death of the womb boss of Stage 6 is changed from a graphic spilling of embryonic fluids into a generic fiery explosion.
The final boss uses different attacks.
The final boss grave is changed from a wooden cross to a tombstone.
The end cut scene is changed from the original arcade ending, in which the mask breaks from Rick's face, followed by a shot of him walking away from the burning mansion and an additional cut scene showing the mask reform and laugh. The ending in the TurboGrafx-16 version only shows the Mask explode, followed by a picture of West Mansion burning while the credits roll, and finally a large red and orange "End" is displayed.
The TG-16 version was also released on the Wii's Virtual Console in Europe on March 16, 2007 and in North America three days later on March 19, 2007. The version of the game ported to the Wii Virtual Console is the Western TurboGrafx-16 port; therefore it is the "censored" version as opposed to the "uncensored" original arcade game.

The FM Towns version, ported by Ving Co. and released only in Japan in 1992, is a pixel-perfect rendition of the original arcade, with no substantial changes apart from a new menu interface in the title screen.

There was also an LCD handheld version released, but it is not a port of either games. It is considered to be an original Splatterhouse game in and of itself, though many elements in it are similar to the original game. Also of interest is the fact that the LCD game's title is "Splatter House", instead of the conventional "Splatterhouse".

They just changed developers on this at the last minute. I have a feeling its garbage since it was supposedly so close to completion.

i hope it's good, after everything i've read about it. like how your life bar is actually his body, and how he loses more chunks each time he takes damage. i just thought that was kinda cool, as i do not remember ever seeing that type of system other then the ghosts & goblin series.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Sorry buddy, but the FIRST Surivial Horror Game was created by Capcom, and it was for the NES!, yes the NINTENDO, the original, called "Sweet Home", it was banned in the USA for being too scary.

[/QUOTE]

Not to be douche but if you read in the wiki is says in the first paragraph

"there were several earlier games that could be considered survival horror released as far back as Haunted House (as well as now-hard-to-find adaptations of the films Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) on Atari 2600, years before Sweet Home was released. Nevertheless, Sweet Home remains an important early game within the genre."

And you link don't work need to add the ) at the end

[quote name='fait74']Not to be douche but if you read in the wiki is says in the first paragraph

"there were several earlier games that could be considered survival horror released as far back as Haunted House (as well as now-hard-to-find adaptations of the films Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) on Atari 2600, years before Sweet Home was released. Nevertheless, Sweet Home remains an important early game within the genre."

And you link don't work need to add the ) at the end[/quote]

owned.

My first survival horror game was friday the 13th for nes. I still think it's under-appreciated. PS: the music in sweet home and f13 are both super creepy. PSS: this thread is about splatterhouse my bad.

[quote name='Irukandji']owned.

My first survival horror game was friday the 13th for nes. I still think it's under-appreciated. [/quote]

You've got to be joking. That's one of the all time worst games.

yeah what is the deal with this? no major reviews, can barely find it at retail (2 BB's I went to only had 2 copies for each system, a guy at GS just stared blankly at me..) I really want this game, but I need to find out if both versions come with the first 3 games, or just on the PS3..

[quote name='token2k6']yeah what is the deal with this? no major reviews, can barely find it at retail (2 BB's I went to only had 2 copies for each system, a guy at GS just stared blankly at me..) I really want this game, but I need to find out if both versions come with the first 3 games, or just on the PS3..[/QUOTE]

the splatterhouse website quotes it as a feature of the game, so id say its both versions.

Destructoid gave it a 7.5

I am definitely intrigued, as I LOVE the original series (see Gamertag). As a CAG, though, I think I can wait and pick it up for $20-25 by January.

Damn I didn't know that this came out so soon. Interested, but too much on my plate right now. I'll have to wait for a sale or a B2G1F from GS.

It's fun. It goes back to sidescrolling at some portions. You can upgrade his attacks and combos and things like that. Is it worth $60? Probably not, but $40 or less would be fine.. or a weekend rental. If you like repetitive action games like God of War or Dante's Inferno, you'll probably like this.

Xbox 360 does have the additional first three splatterhouse games. As for the main game itself. It's definitely not game of the year material, but it is fun, and sometimes frustrating. Needless to say some of the games flaws definitely show themselves throughout, but shouldnt be bad enough to deter anyone from continuing to play through it.

Basically if you can appreciate the game for what it's worth then you'll have plenty of fun.

Haven't played the game yet. It looks awesome though. Some of the vids kind of make me think of God of War on the PS3, just crazier? Bloodier? Insanlier (I know it isn't a word)? I could be way off though, probably am. Only reason I want to compare it to that is because the game play seems to be similar and in the vids it tells you when to push certain buttons to pull off insane kills. I have no complaints even if it was an exact copy of God of War. I loved that game playing on a friends PS3.

Amazon had Splatterhouse as a surprise lightning deal this morning ($35). I managed to snag it; hopefully others did too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']Amazon had Splatterhouse as a surprise lightning deal this morning ($35). I managed to snag it; hopefully others did too.[/QUOTE]

I got in on that too! Which is great since I was hoping it would've been a deal for Black Friday. Big fan of the classic series, can't wait to play this one.:D

Picked the game up this weekend. I'm loving it. They did a good job of capturing the feel of the old games while updating it to the new style. Granted, it is essentially Devil May Cry/God of War gameplay, but the over the top gore and crazy story make it feel at least a bit different.

The game is tough but fair. Every time I died I never felt cheated. (well ok, once I was cheated) It can be unforgiving at times but at least you can level up your health and moves.

I love the mask. It talks to you the whole time...well, more like yells at you the whole time. It adds an element of humor without being straight up comic relief or feeling forced and out of place.

I just beat the second boss and unlocked the original Splatterhouse! :)

I told myself I wouldn't spend more than $30 on this, and I missed the lightning deal, so I can afford to wait a while.

I'm guessing that the price will drop a bit next year. I really want it, but I'm definitely not paying full price.

I actually bought a TurboGrafx-16 and a copy of its butchered arcade port years ago. I love it, but I've always wanted to play the original arcade game without PC pirating or breaking the bank on an arcade machine.

I'm quite surprised that this game actually includes all of the old games as plenty of recent updates of other old games haven't included the originals as unlockables.

Played it, and honestly this isn't worth more than $30.00 (boring, repetitive, uninspired..all good ways of describing it). Fully expect to find it for $20-$25 at many places shortly.

Just beat the 3rd chapter and eh, I've played worse games; I will continue on a bit more unless they get HEAVY with the side-scrolling parts. They are little irritating with some random janky deaths, but any death in this game almost makes me want to just shut it off because...

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't install games onto my 360 and this game might have some of the WORST load times I've encountered in a long time, since like PS1. I think I would forgive a lot of the flaws in this game if at least I could get back to it in a reasonable amount of time.

I shouldn't make a judgment call what's its worth since I'm only 3 chapter in but I will, probably wait till this one is just under 20.00. Ah, I feel like I bad talked it a lot, but it does have its good parts ... great atmosphere with the campy lovecraftian vibe.

Sounds like you should get a bigger hard drive! You can get a 250 Gig HD on Ebay for $55 or so, and then buy a case for $15 or so.

Wow, I do hope installing helps with the load times. It usually does...

This game has some parts where I would say death is almost unavoidable the first time and the side-scrolling segments have no check points. If that's the kind of stuff you want to put in your game its unacceptable to think 15-20 second load times are OK. Its my opinion that its a bad game making and assuming it was ok because players will install.

curious, anyone playing this on PS3? is that a mandatory install?

No, of course games should have checkpoints. But if you notice a game has bad loading times, the obvious step is to install and see if that helps (assuming you want to continue playing the game).

As the professional reviews have come in over the past few days, I'm feeling less frustrated about missing Monday's Amazon deal.

The updated core game has plenty of problems (frame rate/camera issues, long load times, loose platforming controls, etc.), but I'm primarily interested in the unlockable ports anyway.

$30 seems more than fair for this title given its low review scores, so that's the price I'm willing to wait for (no matter how long it takes).

I added some reviews to the OP. Destructoid and GamesRadar both liked the game pretty well, though IGN definitely did not. It has technical problems, including collision detection, lengthy load times, and random bugginess. These should come as no surprise considering the developer got switched mid-development.

On the other hand, it has a pretty good story, impressive graphical style, and is very true to the original. People who liked the old games and want to play a modern Splatterhouse will likely be pleased. Those who just want an action game and don't get so much into the aesthetic will have a harder time liking it.

Just got the game today from Amazon's lightning deal over the weekend and I'm absolutely loving it so far. While I've noticed a few laggy moments here and there it's never been bad enough to ruin it. I love the graphics and the gameplay is very true to the original. Story is great so far as well.

I don't see why the IGN reviewer gave it such a bad rating, but meh for the most part I never agree with them, there's only a couple of reviewers there who I've seen normally give fair reviews. Glad to see other sites giving it decent reviews though.

But anyway, enjoying it a lot so far. :D

bread's done
Back