SSX - Demo out now! Game releases 2/28/12 :: IGN Review 9.0

[quote name='buddynayr']Man I loved SSX 3, this game looks great. My backlog is too big right now, though.[/QUOTE]

That is me as well. :D I'm guessing I'll pick this up in May lol.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I really lucked out with that, almost crashed a bunch of times but stabilized at the last second. It's really just about keeping your combo up so that when you finish it up it'll multiply a shit-ton. Make sure you take advantage of Tricky and Super Tricky as well, very important.

Destro, accept my damn friend request, will ya? :)[/QUOTE]

oh i had no idea who you were... I think i might have deleted it. Send again or I'll search you out and request you.

Ah, makes sense, I forgot to send a "Hey there, I'm me" message. Sorry about that, one second.

I regret not pre-ordering my copy now, I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. Any idea if there's a way to earn the rider you get from the GameStop pre-order?

My newegg copy is out for delivery! They didn't even say it was release day, just 3 day shipping. So, yeah for that and $44.99!

EDIT: and now it's delivered. Yeah! I won't get to try it until later tonight, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I traded in Red Dead Redemption, Tiger '12, Halo: Reach and Black Ops. none of which I have played in 6 months.

GameStop gave me the game and 60 cents back. Nice. Can't wait to play tonight.

All of my games that I could sell are on my backlog, not worth trading in. I seem to be taking my sweet damn time playing them. I'll probably just end up trading in Dead Island to see if I can get a chunk of the price taken off, not sure how much that'll net me, though.

Those who have it, how is it so far?

Haha I was wondering who Happy Accident was. It was you Panda I was feeling all good about my demo scores but then I see you beat my race it one and that is hard to get. Got the real game now though. Those of you on the 360 add me!

I got a chance to play this evening and the game is great. I never had a time when I was frustrated at all. The game allows you to skip areas (i.e. skip a deadly descent mountain) if you are unsuccessful a couple of times.

The online mode is really cool too. I foresee myself playing this game a lot.

Love how the game basically makes you take out your friends scores lol. This is another pinball FX

Now, is it possible to actually race WITH your buddies or is it all just race-against-their-ghost-for-time? I'd like to actually be in the same area as them in real time if possible. Regardless, I'll be picking this up very soon.

Sorry about the confusion there, Calinks, I really need to put CAG in my Bio or send a message along after the friend request. I have no idea how I got 2:07 on JT2, must've been just lucky. I spent a bit of time afterwards trying to beat 2:07 and i couldn't get close.

Haven't played with any friends yet but I just did a global event and saw SEVERAL different boarders racing with me. They were ghost like but more solid in apperance. I couldn't touch them or anything but I imagine you can do this with your freinds.

The game is great fun though. After you complete an event they give you a suggestion of what you should try next. It's someone on your freinds lists high score. I only had one other person ranked so I went after all 5 of their scores. The geotag thing is pretty cool as well, I have gotten about 4 so far and placed one.

All in all the game keeps you busy. You are always looking to do another event, get a few more points, and buy new gear.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Now, is it possible to actually race WITH your buddies or is it all just race-against-their-ghost-for-time? I'd like to actually be in the same area as them in real time if possible. Regardless, I'll be picking this up very soon.

Sorry about the confusion there, Calinks, I really need to put CAG in my Bio or send a message along after the friend request. I have no idea how I got 2:07 on JT2, must've been just lucky. I spent a bit of time afterwards trying to beat 2:07 and i couldn't get close.[/QUOTE]

It's all ghosts but in my opinion for this type of game that's all it really needs to be.

I'm loving this game. Tremendous replay value.

I have tons of room on my friendslist for anyone who wants to battle ssx style! Add me and just send a message saying you're from cag!

Got to try my copy last night, albeit only for an hour or so. It's definitely a fun game, even though I'm not too good at it. The ghost chasing does work well in this game. It's a bit weird with ghosts over top of you at the start - a tad disorienting for a moment.

I really hate online passes though. I have 2 kids who'd probably like to play this online, but I have to buy 2 additional online passes to let them do that? That sucks. :(

They should still be able to play online. They just don't get their points awarded to them until they get a pass, I believe. The game even says that they points they are are kept safe until a pass is purchased.

Ok, but you need to earn points in order to play in the races, right? I think they cost points or whatever the in game currency is. So basically it's a limited trial, unless I'm misunderstanding, because you'll soon run out of points. It's definitely possible I'm misunderstanding, though. LOL.

Not sure. You can get points in the single player portion that, I believe, can be used in the MP section. There are also some global events with a 0 point entrance fee. Overall it does suck that all people in a household can't play the full thing without an online pass.

[quote name='crunchewy']I really hate online passes though. I have 2 kids who'd probably like to play this online, but I have to buy 2 additional online passes to let them do that? That sucks. :([/QUOTE]

That's EA for you.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ok, but you need to earn points in order to play in the races, right? I think they cost points or whatever the in game currency is. So basically it's a limited trial, unless I'm misunderstanding, because you'll soon run out of points. It's definitely possible I'm misunderstanding, though. LOL.[/QUOTE]

It's been near impossible to run out of points for me. There are a ton of zero currency drop runs.

Yeah, I noticed that last night. The runs mostly seem to be free, but I'm guessing that will change. By this I just mean in-game credits, not that they will charge real money (aside from needing an online pass to earn the credits).

In any case this game is pretty great. I played more last night and it is so much fun. I like the races and also trying to nab difficult to grab geotags. I wish there were a geotag screen, though, that listed all the geotags that you have placed, who (if anyone) got it, how much you earned, and also ideally a small map showing where on the run you placed it. As it stands I place geotags and then they seem to just disappear. I get not notice that they've been collected, but I presume they have. Would be nice to know what I earned, who got it, etc.

I haven't played this yet, but absolutely want to. I'm a HUGE fan of games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and the original SSX's for their arcadey like feel and totally off the wall design.

Once this drops to around $40 I will absolutely pick it up.

I ran into a pretty nasty glitch. I don't know what causes it but sometimes when I quit the game and start it up later, the game is no longer tracking my global event scores. If I replay the event, it recognizes my original score and it'll be back to normal for that event. The problem is that I can't tell which events I've already played and if there's a drop fee it'll charge me the drop fee again. That's not cool when the drop fee was 1 mil. I also found it reset some of my badges and snowflakes. It's infuriating. Has this happened to anyone else?

[quote name='crunchewy']
In any case this game is pretty great. I played more last night and it is so much fun. I like the races and also trying to nab difficult to grab geotags. I wish there were a geotag screen, though, that listed all the geotags that you have placed, who (if anyone) got it, how much you earned, and also ideally a small map showing where on the run you placed it. As it stands I place geotags and then they seem to just disappear. I get not notice that they've been collected, but I presume they have. Would be nice to know what I earned, who got it, etc.[/QUOTE]

After an event or when you start the game there's usually a notification in the upper left that tells you how many geotags have expired or have been found along with how many credits you got from it. It also tells you who found your geotags in that little feed under explore.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Now, is it possible to actually race WITH your buddies or is it all just race-against-their-ghost-for-time? I'd like to actually be in the same area as them in real time if possible. Regardless, I'll be picking this up very soon.
[/QUOTE]

Set up a custom global event and set it to friends only and you can all play together. It's not the same as traditional multiplayer because there's no collision detection and you don't all start at once. You still just set scores and you can restart and go for better scores within the time limit. Everyone you see in global events is a real live player though and if you're in a custom event with your friends you'll be able to see them every time you happen to cross paths. If you want to race at the same time, you can probably coordinate in party chat and have everyone drop from the helicopter at the same time.

I'm having so much fun with this game. I love that its just a break away from everything and the soundtrack is really good.

I am a huge multiplayer Guy and this type of MP is wayyyy better, racing against scores and still seeing ghosts rocks.

Plus a big thing people aren't mentioning alot is all the loot u collect and buy. I was not expecting all that at all. And now every run I buy something.

Trust me, get this game and have some fun. Plus more people that put money into global events is more i get to cash in on.

Love this game.

I like the soundtrack too.

FYI, the ghost saves are pretty large. Mine are 100+ MB, and since my DSL has slow upload, if you use cloud saves the Xbox runs for quite a while uploading the save to the cloud after power off. None of my other games (at least that I've played since moving stuff to the cloud) cause it to run after power off very long, but SSX takes forever to upload that ghost save. I figured I'd mention this in case anyone else found their Xbox running a long time after power off like this. That's the reason. I'm probably going to move it back to the HDD alone and play it from there. Also could be an issue if your service provider has data limits. Sending 100+ MB every time you play and then power off could really add up pretty fast.

ND01I.jpg

I literally have nobody on my friends list that plays this game - if you're looking for someone to battle with shoot me an friend request, and just make sure you state you're from CAG; GT is Remixxxxxxx(that's 7 x's, so you don't have to count).

I can't figure out how to get a good trick score. I think I just don't have the technique down. Or something. I'm lucky if I get even a bronze score. LOL.

[quote name='crunchewy']I can't figure out how to get a good trick score. I think I just don't have the technique down. Or something. I'm lucky if I get even a bronze score. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Hold a single grab for each jump, and between jumps you can hold either X or B for a ground trick to keep your chain going.

That was one thing I was wondering - can you just hold B or X for the entire stretch until the next jump, or do you have to mix it up? I probably try to do too many things in each jump, and then end up repeating. I will try to break it down into individual things for each jump.

enjoyed the demo, i don't recall the controls being so crazy though. it seems much harder to stabilize yourself, like skateboarding at high speeds and turning (IRL).

maybe the demo zoe just has poor stability and handling stats? idk.

[quote name='crunchewy']That was one thing I was wondering - can you just hold B or X for the entire stretch until the next jump, or do you have to mix it up? I probably try to do too many things in each jump, and then end up repeating. I will try to break it down into individual things for each jump.[/QUOTE]

You can just hold one or the other the entire time between jumps. Once you get to tricky or super tricky, it's way better just to hold one trick and do a crap ton of rotations while holding the trick.

[quote name='crunchewy']That was one thing I was wondering - can you just hold B or X for the entire stretch until the next jump, or do you have to mix it up? I probably try to do too many things in each jump, and then end up repeating. I will try to break it down into individual things for each jump.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you sure can, but it hinders your turning capability.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']Yep, you sure can, but it hinders your turning capability.[/QUOTE]

What I do is hold on to B, let go, straighten out and hold x until I hit the jump so you're not going way off direction and miss the jump.

There's Mass Effect boards in the store for the next 150 hours. Seems like there's 2 different boards and you can get both for every character. If you level up before buying them they disappear. One of mine also glitched and the board is completely blank.

GdjSv.png

Blech. Glad I rented this as part of Redbox's free game rentals. This game is kind of lame, especially compared the SSX of yore. SSX 1, Tricky, and 3 were awesome. This one is a huge let down and as I was playing all I got was this empty feeling and that this game felt more like a chore/work to get down the mountain or do stuff than actual fun. Nothing ever seemed to really pay off. Plus, I got annoyed that I needed to sign up for a separate EA thing to play online. Another added chore and terrible game design if you ask me. It's why sites today prefer to let you just sign in with Facebook (plus a ton of other reasons) (or twitter or google, open sign up (whatever that other one is called)). I was thinking maybe I'd pick this up on the cheap or at least when it drops to $30. Won't even pick it up then now. Same thing with Street fighter x Tekken (great/fun game), but with Capcom going screw the gamer/buyer crazy I won't buy any of their games until 2-3 after it's been released)

Just got home, after some trade-ins I nabbed the game for 30 bucks. That extra 30% trade-in thang at Gamestop ends tomorrow for SSX, so if you're looking to go that route go ASAP.

I'll be conquering your scores soon, fellas. :)

When it comes to the store, how exactly do I get other store options to show up for the Gear, Board and Suit? Is it just random? I saw one of the ME3 boards so I grabbed it but I'm not seeing the others. A bit confused as to how that all works at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AlphaPanda']
When it comes to the store, how exactly do I get other store options to show up for the Gear, Board and Suit? Is it just random? I saw one of the ME3 boards so I grabbed it but I'm not seeing the others. A bit confused as to how that all works at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard (no pun intended). The gear, boards, etc. appear to be random based upon the level of the character that you are using.

I nabbed 2 of the ME3 boards but the third one costs 100,000 and I only have 20,000 after buying the first two. :/ I get the feeling that by the time I get 100,000 I'll have leveled up and missed my chance to grab it. Regardless, this game's awesome. All I really want to do is race against your ghosts and try to beat your scores, but at the moment I can only do the first Deadly Descent and a couple of other ones. Not sure if I'm still in some tutorial or wha.

Holding B or X between jumps seems to slow me down, sometimes almost to the point of stopping. I'm still struggling with tricks. I think my highest score on any run is about 1.5 million. :( Hopefully I get the hang of it eventually. It's still a fun game even without tearing up the global leader boards. I still manage to beat some friends times on races, plus going for hard to get geotags is fun. Great game.

I have this from Gamefly for a little while and I'm really enjoying it so far. I don't think I've played a snowboarding game since 1080 on N64, which I used to love. I have a few of you already in my Friends list but others feel free to add me if you want some more scores to go for. I've been having the same trick troubles as crunch and it's been a challenge to pass the trick events for me. I'll have to try the suggestions of holding down one and just rotating it lots.

[quote name='gubmccargen']I have this from Gamefly for a little while and I'm really enjoying it so far. I don't think I've played a snowboarding game since 1080 on N64, which I used to love. I have a few of you already in my Friends list but others feel free to add me if you want some more scores to go for. I've been having the same trick troubles as crunch and it's been a challenge to pass the trick events for me. I'll have to try the suggestions of holding down one and just rotating it lots.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the problem is that you're rotating the joystick lots? Basically, you need to hold jump to pre-wind, and then hold that same direction that you pre-wind after releasing the jump button. Hold that same direction mid-air for as long as is safely possible, and throw some tweaks in there on your grab. Also avoid repeating the same trick when you can to avoid scoring penalties.

I hope that helps some!

Does the repeat trick thing only apply to streams of tricks? I.e. before you cash in? That's something I'm unclear on. If I can repeat after cashing in a sequence, that would make things easier.

[quote name='crunchewy']Holding B or X between jumps seems to slow me down, sometimes almost to the point of stopping. I'm still struggling with tricks. I think my highest score on any run is about 1.5 million. :( Hopefully I get the hang of it eventually. It's still a fun game even without tearing up the global leader boards. I still manage to beat some friends times on races, plus going for hard to get geotags is fun. Great game.[/QUOTE]

Make sure to use your boost while doing the ground tricks. While in super tricky mode, this should be easy as you have unlimited boost.

Thanks for the tips, Jek. What I had meant was lots of body rotation with the left stick, although my right thumb is usually pretty crazy on the right stick trying to rack up lots of tricks. The wind-up thing seemed confusing to me. If I'm using the right stick to jump how do I pre-hold it in one direction? I don't have enough thumbs to press A for jump and use the right stick while steering with the left stick.

bread's done
Back