Star Trek Online $28 (CE) $48 - Amazon DotD

I HATE Myself for getting it at Gamestop for FULL price ...

NEVER shop at GameStop for full price again!!!

This Must be the GameStop curse!

I tell you that place is EVIL!!!!!

[quote name='SuperJedi']I HATE Myself for getting it at Gamestop for FULL price ...

I tell you that place is EVIL!!!!![/QUOTE]

That's what you get for buying anything from GameStop.

This game should be free. We have to pay a damn subscription to play. I really hate this about MMO's, but I may be changing my tone when The Old Republic hits.

The game does not suck! It's great for Star Trek fans, and the developers constantly update it to make it even better. The first major update comes out by the end of this month.

We have a big ol' thread about it here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249330

And the CAG Fleet is quite active. If you buy the game, please join our fleet! http://www.cagfleet.com You'll have a bunch of like-minded gamers to chat and team up with, plus our fleet events are quite fun.

fleetmembersstandatstations.jpg

Oh, you know. STO's character creator is super deep. Custom aliens can look very unique, as fellow CAG Dwapook demonstrates. The bridge pictured there belongs to CAG Metaly, BTW.

This game shouldnt have a monthly fee from what I hear, but its $14.99 (The first 30 days are included with purchase of the game). It plays more like a single player game than a MMO and does not have the depth typical of the latter. Having played champions online (made by the same company), I learned my lesson and I stayed away from this mess and am glad I did from the reviews I have read.

I enjoy the Star Trek franchise, and this does not look to capture the essence of it at all.

Do yourself a favor and take a look at a few reviews around the web before plunking down any money on this. If you are determined to get this game, wait some more, by Black Friday this will be even cheaper (Im thinking $19.99 or even $9.99)

[quote name='vienge']Why is there a troll on my Sci-Fi bridge?[/QUOTE]

That's not a troll!

I was wondering what Wil Wheaton was up to these days.

Dang, I'm really tempted. I've been wanting to try this anyway...

Is the replica communicator worth $20?

EDIT: Don't know about the game though. The Old Republic might be my last, best hope of ever playing an MMO. Frankly I wouldn't be looking at this if it weren't Star Trek :whistle2:D

I played the beta and would have to agree with the reviews' assessments. It is just not worth the money (and also note the price of it is dropping like a rock less than a month after release)

[quote name='SuperJedi']I HATE Myself for getting it at Gamestop for FULL price ...

I tell you that place is EVIL!!!!![/QUOTE]

I paid full price from Amazon...guess I should stop shopping there. :(

If you want to play an MMO for more than 30 days, what difference does it make what the initial package costs? You're going to be paying monthly after that as long as you play it (unless you get lifetime). That also means I wouldn't read too much into a price drop. Whether you pay $100 or $10 on the initial package isn't going to matter much 12 months from now at $15 a month.

As far as a "Star Trek" feel, this game has it.

Sorry if it is a repost...didn't see it anywhere but amazon has the reg edition of star trek online for 27.99 and the special edition for 47.99

Been a player since beta. Probably the worst MMO I have ever played. It is still very buggy and still "not finished" whatsoever. Many left after the first month and forum topics are constantly negative. I had hopes for this game, but it really irks me that they rushed this game out just for a quick cash-in.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, I'm really tempted. I've been wanting to try this anyway...

Is the replica communicator worth $20?

EDIT: Don't know about the game though. The Old Republic might be my last, best hope of ever playing an MMO. Frankly I wouldn't be looking at this if it weren't Star Trek :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

It's actually a great communicator pin. I bought a pin on Ebay for $10 in the past which wasn't nearly as nice. The box itself has a clear hole in the center that displays the pin beautifully. The included artbook is also quite nice.

People mentioning Champions Online really just need to get over it. Here's a ProTip:

Star Trek Online is not Champions Online! Seriously!
All those Cryptic complaints are like saying, "I don't like Mario Kart, so I'm not going to play Metroid."

One way to think about justifying the cost of this game ($27 + monthly fee) is how long do you usually play a game for? Probably a couple of months, whatever it is, right? Well, 2 months of STO would cost you $42. 3 months: $57. That's a ton of time to play and enjoy it. Maybe you'll have your fill by then. If you actually love the game, you could keep playing for longer, but nobody's forcing you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Isn't it a bad sign when an MMO price drops so quickly like this?[/QUOTE]

No, virtually every MMO aside from WoW has dropped like a rock.

To be fair, Mass Effect 2 was the Amazon DOTD just a few days ago and was $30. That was released after STO and I don't think people are complaining it's terrible just because the price dropped temporarily(SARCASM). So just take it for what it's worth as a CAG deal.

[quote name='eastx']What other fleet could compete with the CAG Fleet?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, the raising the house dance makes me not take us seriously. :lol:

BTW I'm crypto, not some random troll.

That was just our pre-mission calisthenics! I would feel terrible if somebody pulled a muscle during an important battle. :p

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']No, virtually every MMO aside from WoW has dropped like a rock.[/QUOTE]

And they all lose customers left and right... So, no, its not really a good sign.

Dang, I STILL haven't pulled the trigger.

If I do get it, I probably won't play until after my vacation later this month.

bread's done
Back