Star Trek Online Lifetime Sub: $240 Jan 25-Feb 4

Ruahrc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This is the first time I'm posting a deal on CAG so hopefully it qualifies :)

Lifetime subs for Star Trek Online will be 20% off starting Jan 25th through Feb 4th in order to celebrate their 1 year anniversary of release. Originally $300 now $240.

I know many people either think that a) STO sucks or b) will be FTP soon following Cryptic's other MMO, CO. But if you have been contemplating a lifetime sub, seems like it would be a good opportunity.

Ruahrc

edit: should probably add a link:
http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2260

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JasonTerminator']Only lifetime membership I've ever bought to a game was for Hellgate: London.

Never again...[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Only lifetime membership I've ever bought to a game was for Hellgate: London.

Never again...[/QUOTE]

I have tried to forget all about that game. That was a big let down. I bought the lifetime membership also. I think it was only 200 bucks and I want to say a monthly membership was 15. So it got me a little over 13 months paid up front and free after that. So it isn't as bad. Sad thing is someone is wanting to make another one called Hellgate London: Resurrection.

I have however bought a lifetime membership to Sirius radio and it is still around. I have had it for about 4 or 5 years I think.

I am not that big of a Star Trek fan and STO does not seem to be something I really want to play. I am thinking about playing DCU and I can see that lasting for atleast a year or longer. So 200 bucks for a lifetime does not seem bad for it.

I've been a lifetime subscriber since day one, definitely got my moneys' worth, but I don't think the game is for everyone, it definitely was pretty bad in the beginning.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']curious how much was that Sirius lifetime? thats awesome stuff.[/QUOTE]

500 if I remember right. Worth it if you ask me. At the time I could add up to 3 more radios for 75 each. Only bad thing is I can not listen to sirius on my EVO or iPod Touch with the app because they want another 2 or 3 bucks amonth. Also I'm not sure if you can still add more radios to your account for the 75 bucks.

Hey, its a deal on a lifetime sub to a quality MMO. If you don't like lifetime subs or MMOs or whatever it doesn't mean it isn't a deal. Without doing the math, anybody who bought this at the beginning is close to breaking even if they were paying monthly anyway.

Let's see if Old Republic even offers this as an option.

If anyone wanted to save $60 for the lifetime subscription, then that's great. I personally don't think that the only MMO Star Trek game out there is going to die anytime soon, but it's still risky to pre-pay $240 on a game backed by user interest.

Only meant for die hard Star Trek fans.

[quote name='turls']Let's see if Old Republic even offers this as an option.[/QUOTE]

Of course they won't, Bioware actually expects it to be successful.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Of course they won't, Bioware actually expects it to be successful.[/QUOTE]

Word, i hope and pray they do offer a lifetime sub, but im not holding my breath.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Of course they won't, Bioware actually expects it to be successful.[/QUOTE]

Yep, successful MMOs or one that they believe will be so are never given the lifetime sub option, it's all the others that want to get you to pony up the cash up front that I am always wary of.

Hmmm how's the klingon content now? From the emails i still get the game gets something like new content atleast every month? Anybody playing STO confirm?

I'd thought the lifetime thing was only available before launch, so that's cool...

Dang, Star Trek was something I actually would like to try, but I just don't know if I can justify it when I have over 100 games in the backlog :whistle2:/

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']lol haha

only MMO i would lifetime sub is WoW and Star Wars: The old republic.[/QUOTE]

Word on the street is the Old Republic sucks in it's current state and needs a ton of work. Hopefully, they get it right before releasing it.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Word on the street is the Old Republic sucks in it's current state and needs a ton of work. Hopefully, they get it right before releasing it.[/QUOTE]

Here's my big issue with it too - kudos for making the single player engaging but outside them getting their monthly sub *what makes this a MMO?* It'll be another engaging single player experience, frankly it probably should have went the episodic route that starcraft is going, break up the story - and then allow for some simple co-op with friends as desired.

But I have a hard time imagining pvp will be that engaging, balanced. The hook is the story, voice acting, start to finish by yourself or some co-op, ideally with the same people too probably. But a worthy pay every month mmo? I just don't know. Companies see dollar signs, I don't know if I see the model or point here though. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, their own kotor series, yeah.

So sure I hope they make a gangbuster game, but it'll be interesting how much tedium and grind is added to get more mileage out of subscriptions, I just have a hard time imagining what lies beyond and will make the retail + monthly (+ likely expansions?) worth it. But then look at WoW right, lol. I get the star wars hook, i'd like to see it done right too - but for me I'd be paying monthly to play my single player story online really, that's my 'Star Wars' hook.

I played Old Republic at E3 (or PAX, I can't remember... lol) and frankly, people don't know wtf they are talking about. The EA Louse was just high off his angriness when he said Old Republic was bad.

I found the demo to be thoroughly enjoyable. Sure, it felt very similar in pacing, play-style, and setup as WoW, but it was ok. I honestly don't see how anyone could say that PvP won't be engaging. It won't be any different than WoW. Arena battles, battlegrounds, etc... I think the game is going to kick ass and just to be clear, I'm no Star Wars fanboy.

If they offer a lifetime sub for SWTOR, I will get it in a heartbeat.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Word on the street is the Old Republic sucks in it's current state and needs a ton of work. Hopefully, they get it right before releasing it.[/QUOTE]

It's tentative release date is like a year away, a lot can change in a year.

I'm sure Sony thought they were printing money with the first attempt at a Star Wars MMO too. The Old Republic universe is a great setting for an MMO, but it is going to have to be gangbusters for a casual player like me to bite long term. A lifetime sub on the other hand with no clock running I will bite on. (I don't even want to go down the microtransaction argument, that's another story).

FYI, this is cheaper then when folks paid for a lifetime play before the game started. STO will soon let folks publish their own missions there is soon to be a flood of good stuff to keep people busy. The game isn't for everyone but remember even the matrix online lived more then 3 years.

There are plenty of folks on CAG who can give out referals to try STO for free, even me. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

I bought a lifetime membership for LOTRO and even tho it went F2P, I'm perfectly happy. But honestly, if you aren't already subscribing to STO, this is not worth it. It's too risky to spend $240+ on something you aren't positive you're going to enjoy and play for at least a couple years.

[quote name='KingDox']FYI, this is cheaper then when folks paid for a lifetime play before the game started. [/QUOTE]
I just looked through my past years worth of purchases and it was $239.99 when I got it before the game started. While the game wasn't the best in the beginning it has been pretty fun. I don't play it all the time but my and my brother basically share an account at this point and it's worked out well. We've got our worth out of it, but the $240 at this point for lifetime, I do believe is a gamble.

[quote name='Darrith']Hahahahahahahahahahaha.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? You going to make a post like this if it makes it to 3rd, 4th, 5th anniversary and isn't F2P?

What is with the stupid posts on any thread that talks about something over X dollar amount?

I could make the same nonsensical post in any thread with any monthly recurring fee and it would be more valid.

No wonder there are so many models everywhere (cell phones, satellite, etc) of recurring fees that people fall for. . .

I had lifetime since launch of game, special rate too. But if you do the math it makes a lot of sense, figure you pay 10-15 per month for 2 years, if you play an MMO for over 2 years you will make up the cost easy.
I jumped on this when it was offered at start, and never paid a monthly fee.
When I played Anarchy Online, figure I sunk about 1000$ or so into it, and that was paying 100 per year. (expansions, fee, etc). I also played 9 years there as well.

I know different people say about how they dont like this or that MMO. Everyone is different, as far as STO I see that Cyptic is continually making changes for the better on the game.

[quote name='turls']Seriously? You going to make a post like this if it makes it to 3rd, 4th, 5th anniversary and isn't F2P?

What is with the stupid posts on any thread that talks about something over X dollar amount?

I could make the same nonsensical post in any thread with any monthly recurring fee and it would be more valid.

No wonder there are so many models everywhere (cell phones, satellite, etc) of recurring fees that people fall for. . .[/QUOTE]

Yes, that post was trolling. But this game is still far away from having 3rd, 4th and 5th anniversary's. And seeing how Champions Online turned out, it will probably be F2P by then.

[quote name='Eracet']They are talking about Free to play this year actually.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I wouldn't put this past Atari. Sell Lifetime Subs while planning on turning the game F2P!

[quote name='mogamer']Heh, I wouldn't put this past Atari. Sell Lifetime Subs while planning on turning the game F2P![/QUOTE]

Just as easily could be the opposite. No proof either way, no matter what the comments about it being "talked about" in this thread. They offer lifetime again basically saying forget seeing F2P anytime soon.

Nobody (or very few) that is only waiting for F2P is going to buy lifetime anyway.

[quote name='mogamer']Heh, I wouldn't put this past Atari. Sell Lifetime Subs while planning on turning the game F2P![/QUOTE]

Actually, Champions on line that just went F2P also just put its lifetime subs on sale for 240 as well. Just because a game goes F2P doesn't mean its freeware. A life time sub should actually still save you money in the long run even for a F2P model since they nickel and dime you.

I really can't imagine paying that much money to play one game, but admittedly I've never tried any of these MMOs, in large part because of the cost.

[quote name='crunchewy']I really can't imagine paying that much money to play one game, but admittedly I've never tried any of these MMOs, in large part because of the cost.[/QUOTE]

And yet my friend who plays WOW says that WOW is dollars per hour one of the cheapest game he has ever played, owing to the large amount of content in the game.

Ruahrc

Going to one movie by myself is enough to pay for 1-2 months for a MMO. Bringing the wife and kids even more. MMOs are the cheapest entertainment that money can buy.

[quote name='TheDeadEye']I bought a lifetime membership for LOTRO and even tho it went F2P, I'm perfectly happy. But honestly, if you aren't already subscribing to STO, this is not worth it. It's too risky to spend $240+ on something you aren't positive you're going to enjoy and play for at least a couple years.[/QUOTE]

Is LOTRO all F2P or do you have to pay to do some things? I have been told both.

[quote name='KingDox']Actually, Champions on line that just went F2P also just put its lifetime subs on sale for 240 as well. Just because a game goes F2P doesn't mean its freeware. A life time sub should actually still save you money in the long run even for a F2P model since they nickel and dime you.[/QUOTE]

Last I read Champions still might be worth the lifetime sub. You still have to pay to do some things and you can pay 15 a month I think for a gold membership.

[quote name='Ruahrc']And yet my friend who plays WOW says that WOW is dollars per hour one of the cheapest game he has ever played, owing to the large amount of content in the game.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

Clearly your friend doesn't play Call of Duty. Some people are insanely hardcore about that game, and they pay a total of $60 for the game plus $30 for a couple of map packs. That blows away any MMO in cost per hour.

Ironically he bought Black Ops but stopped playing it about a week after it came out.

I think his all-time $/hr game is L4D2 though. He said he played it a lot and he got it on a preorder sale.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Clearly your friend doesn't play Call of Duty. Some people are insanely hardcore about that game, and they pay a total of $60 for the game plus $30 for a couple of map packs. That blows away any MMO in cost per hour.[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention CoD, since there is no "one" CoD. You buy it and the DLC about every year last I checked (every 2 years or so before they split it to multiple studios). You can say that to a certain extent with new MMO add-on releases, but they don't seem to come out that often. If you are still playing the first CoD you ever bought then you are hardcore and I apologize for doubting you. Oh, and let me know when CoD2 gets that graphics/performance update any MMO around that long probably has gotten multiple times by now.

[quote name='turls']Funny you mention CoD, since there is no "one" CoD. You buy it and the DLC about every year last I checked (every 2 years or so before they split it to multiple studios). You can say that to a certain extent with new MMO add-on releases, but they don't seem to come out that often. [/QUOTE]

Even with a yearly release, Call of Duty is still much cheaper. It's essentially $90 per year.

WoW is $156 a year on the cheapest monthly subscription package. That doesn't even include the cost of the original game and three expansions (4 total game purchases in the past 6 years). At the very least WoW costs twice the price of CoD. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great cost per hour game, it's just not as good as CoD is for the hardcore CoD players.

[quote name='KingDox']Actually, Champions on line that just went F2P also just put its lifetime subs on sale for 240 as well. [/QUOTE]

Then PT Barnum was right. ;)

Just because a game goes F2P doesn't mean its freeware. A life time sub should actually still save you money in the long run even for a F2P model since they nickel and dime you.

Your guess that a Lifetime Sub should be cheaper in the long run is only true if people by up all that "nickel and dime" stuff. You'd have to buy $10 worth of stuff every month for two years just to break even :shock:. But I think the MMO's that go F2P and end up making more money, make that extra money because it gets more players. Not because the existing base buys all that extra stuff up. So I bet a lifetime sub is a losing proposition for the majority of players.

Guild Wars could easily be considered one of the all-time best dollar per hour games. Still playing it 4 years later.

Same here. I'll be picking up Guild Wars 2. This is the way to play MMO's!

[quote name='sendme']Is LOTRO all F2P or do you have to pay to do some things? I have been told both.[/QUOTE]

It is free to play and as of the latest patch, you can hit level 65 without spending a nickle. As a matter of fact, you can earn $$ in game while you play that you can spend in the store for more quests, bags, etc.

If I were a free player, I'd level all the toons I wanted to play to level 20 (very quick, lots of quests in the free starter areas). Then I'd buy a Mines of Moria box set for $10 in a brick and mortar retail store (Best Buy has them) and permanently unlock all the goodies that those toons need (horse riding, all bags, all traits, etc) plus the two premium classes and all of Moria for questing. Earn more points while you level to buy a few more quest packs (especially when you spot them on sale for 75% off). Well worth it.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Even with a yearly release, Call of Duty is still much cheaper. It's essentially $90 per year.

WoW is $156 a year on the cheapest monthly subscription package. That doesn't even include the cost of the original game and three expansions (4 total game purchases in the past 6 years). At the very least WoW costs twice the price of CoD. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great cost per hour game, it's just not as good as CoD is for the hardcore CoD players.[/QUOTE]

Then we're back to the lifetime sub argument. You said the cost per hour blows away "any" MMO. Not one that somebody gambled on a lifetime sub on (or even better a F2P one where microtrans are not used or limited), puts a ton of hours into, and doesn't go belly up. Just sayin'.

[quote name='turls']Then we're back to the lifetime sub argument. You said the cost per hour blows away "any" MMO. Not one that somebody gambled on a lifetime sub on (or even better a F2P one where microtrans are not used or limited), puts a ton of hours into, and doesn't go belly up. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know which MMOs have had lifetime sub options and how many of them are still up and running. There's only one super successful MMO, and it's WoW. WoW has never offered a lifetime sub, and presumably never will, because Blizzard knows they don't have to offer it.

Additionally, there's really no comparison between CoD and the run-of-the-mill MMOs. CoD is the lumbering giant in the realm of console games and WoW is the only game that would be equivalent in the realm of MMOs. Sure, you can get great cost per dollar ratios out of cheap games, but you're definitely losing something there.

bread's done
Back