Star Wars Prequel [I-III] or Original [IV-VI] Trilogy - $29.99 at TRU 9/11-9/17

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Update: It now appears that the Prequel trilogy will also be $29.99 starting on Friday:

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/med...6327&camp=CME:20110915_Em_TRU_Roto%20Reminder

starwarsi.png

I saw this in the VG section and figured it was worth mentioning here. In next week's TRU ad (9/11-9/17) they will have Star Wars the Original trilogy (eps IV-VI) on Blu for $29.99. That's a $40 savings over the MSRP, and $10 cheaper than Amazon.

The set officially comes out on 9/16

You can now order it at TRU:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11904783

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already canceled my amazon pre-order...and then they dropped it. I honestly can't believe that some of the major review sites haven't gotten their hands on it but people are claiming they have it. Is there an embargo or does it really have so much shit on it that everything is being reviewed with a fine tooth comb?

[quote name='Javery']Damn - I'm all over that Target price. $80 for 6 blus and all the extras is pretty decent, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has it for the same price so you can save a couple of bucks in tax.

[quote name='kill3r7']Amazon has it for the same price so you can save a couple of bucks in tax.[/QUOTE]

Target RED card pretty much knocks the tax out for me and I get it on release day.

Does anyone know if Target will have the new trilogy for $30 as well? I refuse to buy the hacked up original trilogy but wouldn't mind owning the new trilogy on blu.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Nope don't think they do. It would have been mentioned already since people have the ad and such[/QUOTE]

You can try to pricematch TRU since they have them for $30.

Wow, I said Target. Guess I shouldn't be reading the Target ad while posting on here. I meant to say TRU since I don't get a TRU ad. Thank you kill3r for indirectly answering my question that I messed up asking.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Also where are the reviews?!?!?!?[/QUOTE]

I would assume an embargo is placed since early signs point the reviews wont be favorable.

[quote name='lordopus99']I would assume an embargo is placed since early signs point the reviews wont be favorable.[/QUOTE]

I agree..... Review Embargos are bullshit.... that means someone higher up is afraid that these review sites will pick it apart to tell people if it's worth the money they are asking for it.

I doubt that the scenes we saw on youtube (Vader's NOoOOo in ROTJ) are the only changes made...

[quote name='ITDEFX']I agree..... Review Embargos are bullshit.... that means someone higher up is afraid that these review sites will pick it apart to tell people if it's worth the money they are asking for it.

I doubt that the scenes we saw on youtube (Vader's NOoOOo in ROTJ) are the only changes made...[/QUOTE]

According to IGN, they'll have a review by Wednesday...still this review embargo thing is nonsense.

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/119/1192788p1.html

[quote name='ssjmichael']I saw this in the VG section and figured it was worth mentioning here. In next week's TRU ad (9/11-9/17) they will have Star Wars the Original trilogy (eps IV-VI) on Blu for $29.99. That's a $40 savings over the MSRP, and $10 cheaper than Amazon.

The set officially comes out on 9/16[/QUOTE]

If this was the original trilogy and not the prequels, i'd be all over it!

Is it true however that the box set that comes with all 6 movies has more content than if you bought the 2 box sets individually?

[quote name='TealPavelski']If this was the original trilogy and not the prequels, i'd be all over it!

Is it true however that the box set that comes with all 6 movies has more content than if you bought the 2 box sets individually?[/QUOTE]

Huh? It is for the original trilogy not the prequels

[quote name='ssjmichael']Huh? It is for the original trilogy not the prequels[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the prequels on sale for some reason. I think I might have to go get these on Tuesday.

[quote name='TealPavelski']Apparently you get a FREE USB Drive at TRU worth $14.99 along with the Blu-Ray. Anyone know what this looks like?

*Edit: I wonder if this is the USB drive: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11894785[/QUOTE]

Cool offer and nice find. That does appear to be the drive. The offer says on any Star Wars purchase of $30 or more and the Blu is %29.99 but they are advertising that it qualifies for it.

Edit: Nope, you do have to spend $30 to get it, at least online, so you'd be a penny short

[quote name='ITDEFX']I agree..... Review Embargos are bullshit.... that means someone higher up is afraid that these review sites will pick it apart to tell people if it's worth the money they are asking for it.[/QUOTE]
I always saw them as a sort of street date for reviews, so that everyone had a fair chance to check it out and so that a person/site doesn't rush to be the 'first!' What is bullshit is setting the date so close to or after the product comes out. I like having a buffer with my pre-orders, so that I can read up and decide if I want to keep one or not. Lately, this is happening way too often.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Cool offer and nice find. That does appear to be the drive. The offer says on any Star Wars purchase of $30 or more and the Blu is $29.99 but they are advertising that it qualifies for it.[/QUOTE]

Scratch that, you do have to spend $30 for it to show up for free in your cart so this is just a penny off :(

[quote name='ssjmichael']Cool offer and nice find. That does appear to be the drive. The offer says on any Star Wars purchase of $30 or more and the Blu is %29.99 but they are advertising that it qualifies for it.[/QUOTE]

I just realized that is a TRU.com only deal. I added the Original Trilogy BD to my cart and it did not add the USB Drive. So if you purchase the set online, make sure to buy something else Star Wars to put your order over $30 to get the FREE USB Drive.

Add this to your cart to get your order over $30 (not including tax/shipping) to get the FREE drive. It is the cheapest Star Wars item on TRU.com at only $0.94.

[quote name='TealPavelski']I just realized that is a TRU.com only deal. I added the Original Trilogy BD to my cart and it did not add the USB Drive. So if you purchase the set online, make sure to by something else Star Wars to put your order over $30 to get the FREE USB Drive.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. This .94 filler seems to work: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4419682

But Shipping totally kills the deal as usual with TRU. If you have shoprunner then it's a good deal (assuming the stuff qualifies)

edit: Just noticed you edited your post to mention the same filler, haha. h5

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah. This .94 filler seems to work: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4419682

But Shipping totally kills the deal as usual with TRU. If you have shoprunner then it's a good deal (assuming the stuff qualifies)

edit: Just noticed you edited your post to mention the same filler, haha. h5[/QUOTE]

Yeah, quite honestly the deal isn't so great you can look past the shipping. I think I might just hold off to buy the Star Wars BD's until I can afford the 9-Disc Box Set.

There is a fan edit online in 720p AVCHD (Harmy) where everything is closely restored to the original theatrical release versions as possible. The edit is absolutely beautiful and it has Han Solo shooting Greedo first and no Hayden Christiansen in Return of the Jedi. There is also a PowerPoint online that shows all of the changes Lucas has made to the original trilogy over the years and it really makes you sick.

Thank goodness for dedicated star wars fans.

[quote name='4tygames']There is a fan edit online in 720p AVCHD (Harmy) where everything is closely restored to the original theatrical release versions as possible. The edit is absolutely beautiful and it has Han Solo shooting Greedo first and no Hayden Christiansen in Return of the Jedi. There is also a PowerPoint online that shows all of the changes Lucas has made to the original trilogy over the years and it really makes you sick.

Thank goodness for dedicated star wars fans.[/QUOTE]

It's a good thing downloading copyright material without paying for it is legal, right?

Really excited about this deal as this is the only set I want.

I didn't really hate the prequels as much as some, but after watching my dvds before I sold them last year...I thought they aged something awful.

[quote name='4tygames']There is a fan edit online in 720p AVCHD (Harmy) where everything is closely restored to the original theatrical release versions as possible. The edit is absolutely beautiful and it has Han Solo shooting Greedo first and no Hayden Christiansen in Return of the Jedi. There is also a PowerPoint online that shows all of the changes Lucas has made to the original trilogy over the years and it really makes you sick.

Thank goodness for dedicated star wars fans.[/QUOTE]

Pm me the link please.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']It's a good thing downloading copyright material without paying for it is legal, right?[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I've bought the star wars trilogy on VHS, DVD, and will buy the bluray, but I'm tired of the crappy Lucas edits. Sadly there is no way to see the original movies without resorting to bootlegs.

[quote name='4tygames']Don't get me wrong, I've bought the star wars trilogy on VHS, DVD, and will buy the bluray, but I'm tired of the crappy Lucas edits. Sadly there is no way to see the original movies without resorting to bootlegs.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to act like a mod here, so I apologize if I come off as one.

I am a huge Star Wars fan myself. As seen in these few images.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/LegolasFett/Room/DSC01077.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/LegolasFett/Room/DSC01079.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/LegolasFett/Room/DSC01081.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/LegolasFett/Room/IrnerdPart3StarWarsstuffinClosetPar.jpg

I too own them on VHS, DVD, and pre-ordered the complete collection on Blu-Ray already. Plus, I have around 20-30 framed posters, thousands of trading cards (including the SWCCG which I was a huge fan of until it died), and lots of other random Star Wars things I've collected over the years. I am sure there are many people on CAG and even more around the world that have much much more then I do. I am just saying that I consider myself to be a huge/hardcore Star Wars fan, so I am not talking as someone who "just likes" SW.

But I still believe they are George Lucas' movies, not mine. I am very glad he made them and I just wish I was alive in 1977 to see them for the first time in the theater. Do I like the changes...not really, but who am I to say otherwise? If my neighbor has a car I really like and decides to paint it hot pink, do I have to like it? No, but that doesn't give me the right to say he ruined his car for me. I know it's not an accurate an analogy, but it was the only thing I could think of at 2AM.

Just because that is the only way to view the OT in HD without the edits Lucas chose to do, this is still CAG and that is considered piracy and is against the rules here.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']
But I still believe they are George Lucas' movies, not mine. I am very glad he made them and I just wish I was alive in 1977 to see them for the first time in the theater.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think I'd trade that experience to be 20 years younger, but at least that is one thing I am glad I was able to do. I saw the originals at pretty much peak impression time (ages 9-15). So, yeah, Star Wars had a big impact on me, especially Empire.

And there has never and will never be anything that made the impression that opening scene in Star Wars did in terms of special effects that just blew anything before out of the water. People tried to make that comparison with Avatar, but, eh, no...

In terms of overall impact the only thing that came close to me after that was the LOTR trilogy. But that was also because I read the books around the same time I saw Star Wars ;).

In any case, I'm not sure how to approach these blu-rays. I suppose if I get the combo pass from Blockbuster I can just rent them. My 8 year old has yet to see the original movies all the way through - and yet as others have said about their kids, he knows all the characters from Lego Star Wars, etc... Even my 3 year old knows who Darth Vader is and as far as I know he hasn't seen 1 second of any of the movies :lol:.

Then I can wait for a cheaper price (BF maybe?) on the full saga. Actually, I forgot one other movie that had a big impact - and that was Episode I. Yes, I see it now for all its flaws, but when that hit in 1999 it reminded me all about that day in 1977 when I saw the first one. And seeing Jedi in their full glory was awesome. I remember in the "olden" days when rumors of the full 9 movie saga first hit (what about those last 3, eh?) and in those pre-internet days it was all in fan club magazines and stuff I used to obsess over whatever little details I could get. Despite all that, though, I wasn't as offended by the new movies as some were - and I am actually one of those people who could have had their childhood destroyed by ol' George ;).

As for this "Noooo" thing, I can't even figure out what that is (or more specifically what the change is), and I am kind of avoiding finding out to be honest.

[quote name='io']
And there has never and will never be anything that made the impression that opening scene in Star Wars did in terms of special effects that just blew anything before out of the water. People tried to make that comparison with Avatar, but, eh, no...[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. While Avatar was very impressive, it was all CG. Very few of those actual backdrops, props, etc actually physically exist. In Star Wars, every little detail was handcrafted in real life. Despite GL being a total douche nowadays, he and his crew have to be respected for what they did back in the 70s and early 80s.

[quote name='io']Well, I think I'd trade that experience to be 20 years younger, but at least that is one thing I am glad I was able to do. I saw the originals are pretty much peak impression time (ages 9-15). So, yeah, Star Wars had a big impact on me, especially Empire.
[/QUOTE]

I was 8 years old. Star Wars was HUGE! I saw it 7 times in the theater. People forget that the only way to watch a movie was to go to the theater. There was no LCD TV, Big screens, computers, internet, VHS, Laserdisc, PPV, cell phones.... NOTHING. If you didnt see a movie in the theater you were SOL until it came on HBO 5 years later or ABC 10 years later.

You can never bring that "Surprise" feeling back to movies.... that time has come and gone. You may laugh but I think "Blair Witch" may have brought a little of that magic back..... because people thought it was REAL.

The edits.... they dissapoint me because I HAVE seen the originals in the theater and they hold wonderful memories. I really never thought there was anything wrong with the original cuts. Its nice to sharpen them up, but I dont like changing the content.

And the comparison with the "pink car". I would be pissed if I told my neighbor I wanted to buy his car and after that he painted it Pink. It IS his movie.... BUT he needs to stop.

I'm glad to see my post got more voice of reason posts and not "TROLLOLOL" posts. Like I said, the whole NooOoOO thing I admit I didn't like, but I think the reason Lucas did it was for the whole continuity thing. Like "I have a bad feeling about this" is in every single SW movie. Nooooo was in in RotS and ESB, so I think Lucas wanted to show that Vader was torn/reminded of what happened when he lost the woman he loved in RotS and wasn't going to let it happen again.

Thinking about that as I type it, I actually do like it, I just think the Noooo was cheesy sounding. If it was a simple "No!" then that would have been better, but it's the first moment we get a chance to glimpse that Darth Vader is still Anakin and that Luke was right, there is good in him.

I just dislike how everyone is saying they're ruining my/our movies. How can he do that. Etc etc. They are still his movies, it is just sad that the sense of entitlement has entered the realm of Star Wars.

This whole debacle of these changes that George Lucas did to the movies is just downright stupid. I understand and respect the Star Wars purest out there, but enough is enough. If you don't like it , then stick to your old VHS/DVD and be happy with it. The HD era is here and we all new something like this was going to happen. If he wanted to alter or add new scenes then he could do that. I would expect to see this backlash and uproar if they had REBOOTED the Star Wars Franchise with new characters and an alternative storyline to one that we are used to. But because of a little "NOOOOO" and some added scene to enhance the series , people want to cry. It's just dumb to me. I watched these movies when I was younger, and now I'm 29 , I'll embrace the HD versions with the same love i always had for the series.

[quote name='dramasetter929']This whole debacle of these changes that George Lucas did to the movies is just downright stupid. I understand and respect the Star Wars purest out there, but enough is enough. If you don't like it , then stick to your old VHS/DVD and be happy with it. The HD era is here and we all new something like this was going to happen. If he wanted to alter or add new scenes then he could do that. I would expect to see this backlash and uproar if they had REBOOTED the Star Wars Franchise with new characters and an alternative storyline to one that we are used to. But because of a little "NOOOOO" and some added scene to enhance the series , people want to cry. It's just dumb to me. I watched these movies when I was younger, and now I'm 29 , I'll embrace the HD versions with the same love i always had for the series.[/QUOTE]

Chalk up another sale for the Bantha Fodder Edition

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I'm glad to see my post got more voice of reason posts and not "TROLLOLOL" posts. Like I said, the whole NooOoOO thing I admit I didn't like, but I think the reason Lucas did it was for the whole continuity thing. Like "I have a bad feeling about this" is in every single SW movie. Nooooo was in in RotS and ESB, so I think Lucas wanted to show that Vader was torn/reminded of what happened when he lost the woman he loved in RotS and wasn't going to let it happen again.

Thinking about that as I type it, I actually do like it, I just think the Noooo was cheesy sounding. If it was a simple "No!" then that would have been better, but it's the first moment we get a chance to glimpse that Darth Vader is still Anakin and that Luke was right, there is good in him.

I just dislike how everyone is saying they're ruining my/our movies. How can he do that. Etc etc. They are still his movies, it is just sad that the sense of entitlement has entered the realm of Star Wars.[/QUOTE]

The "NOOOOO" was absolutely one of the worst parts of any Star Wars movie, it even became a huge Internet meme. You'd have to imagine Lucas must have been aware of the hate for that scene, and then he decided to incorporate a similar one into the original trilogy? That's trolling if I ever knew it.

And you can say it's his movies he can do what he wants with it, but the Star Wars universe, and its success would be nothing without their fanbase. Yet all Lucas has done is shit all over his most faithful supporters. I don't see it at all as a sense of entitlement argument.

[quote name='ssjmichael']And you can say it's his movies he can do what he wants with it, but the Star Wars universe, and its success would be nothing without their fanbase. Yet all Lucas has done is shit all over his most faithful supporters. I don't see it at all as a sense of entitlement argument.[/QUOTE]

This is the thing that enrages so many people. Lucas has to know by now that ANY changes to the actual content on the screen will be met with eye rolls and general disdain. At this point he has to be pissing people off on purpose.

However, I'll still buy the blu-rays even though I don't like the changes mainly because I care less about whether or not I put money in Lucas's pocket than he does about pissing me off. I liked the movies and I still like them despite the changes.

[quote name='Javery']This is the thing that enrages so many people. Lucas has to know by now that ANY changes to the actual content on the screen will be met with eye rolls and general disdain. At this point he has to be pissing people off on purpose.

However, I'll still buy the blu-rays even though I don't like the changes mainly because I care less about whether or not I put money in Lucas's pocket than he does about pissing me off. I liked the movies and I still like them despite
the changes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I too will get it eventually. The bulk of the films have not been tampered with yet thankfully and I'm interested in all the extra content, and commentaries. I would rather not fatten the pockets of the goitered troll any further though so maybe I'll just buy mine used from Hastings or whoever has it cheap in the 2nd hand market

[quote name='ssjmichael']Ugh, the disc art for the US version is so damn generic compared to the UK version. They did the same thing with Back to the Future from what I recall. The art throughout the US set looks decent though, but I don't like that there's just a slit for the discs. Thankfully blus don't scratch easily.[/QUOTE]

Hm... Looking at the discs in the UK video, they're all-region (you can clearly see the "ABC" region logo). So the only question would be whether all of the features on the extra discs are in HD and/or NTSC. Other than that, there would be no reason not to get the UK version.

Though worth noting, those trays on the UK version are held together by nothing more than a large piece of tape. I've heard reports of other releases like this having problems with the tape not holding up.

Ordering it from Amazon UK right now would come out to $87.26 shipped. An extra $7 over the US price to get a better case and disc art... Hrm... Of course the only other problem at this point would be that you wouldn't get it on release day, if that matters.

Edit: Confirmed on blu-ray.com that it's all-region, though no specific details about the special features there.

[quote name='arcane93']Hm... Looking at the discs in the UK video, they're all-region (you can clearly see the "ABC" region logo). So the only question would be whether all of the features on the extra discs are in HD and/or NTSC. Other than that, there would be no reason not to get the UK version.

Ordering it from Amazon UK right now would come out to $87.26 shipped. An extra $7 over the US price to get a better case and disc art... Hrm... Of course the only other problem at this point would be that you wouldn't get it on release day, if that matters.

Edit: Confirmed on blu-ray.com that it's all-region, though no specific details about the special features there.[/QUOTE]

You really think that stack of clear plastic is a better case? Not gonna deny the discs for the UK set are better, but the case for the US set looks a hell of a lot nicer to me.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']You really think that stack of clear plastic is a better case? Not gonna deny the discs for the UK set are better, but the case for the US set looks a hell of a lot nicer to me.[/QUOTE]

The US case looks nicer, yes, but I am very distrustful of having to slide the discs in and out of slots like that -- both because of what it could do to the discs, and because of the potential for tearing the case itself. As far as cases are concerned, I'm more interested in practicality and durability than in appearance. I'm only going to be looking at the inside of the case for as long as it takes to get the disc that I want to watch out anyway.

For me a perfect set would be the artwork from the US version with a standard disc holder on top of it (i.e. no slit) and the disc art from the UK version.

bread's done
Back