Star Wars: The Old Republic Collector's Edition available for Preorder

Chrono Gear

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (96%)
Yes I know it's not a deal. In fact, it's very expensive but it's supposedly a limited run. Only the first 50k are guaranteed the rest of the 500k are on a first come, first serve basis they claim.

Here's the links as it just went live moments ago:

Amazon

EA's Origin Store

Gamestop

EDIT: Appears to be available again for preorder. Due to the stock fluctuation I will not update availability again until it is truly dead.

81882WhX91L._AA1500_.jpg

71HO%2B9GiLWL._AA1207_.jpg

Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Choose your class from a variety of classic Star Wars roles including Jedi Knight, Bounty Hunter, and Smuggler. Make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat, team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges and discover the wonders of the Star Wars galaxy in a fully-featured Massively Multiplayer Online Game.

Limited Collector's Edition Features

• Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic game disks in collectible metal case
  • The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural annotated by Satele Shan
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic galaxy map
  • Custom Security Authentication Key
  • Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
  • High-quality Collector's Edition box
Limited Collector's Edition - Seven Additional Digital Items

• Flare Gun: Fire flares into the air
  • Training Droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance
  • HoloDancer: Project your own holographic dancer
  • HoloCam: Keep visual records of in-game adventures
  • STAP: Sleek and unique in-game vehicle
  • Exclusive Mouse Droid: Spunky Droid to join your adventure
  • Exclusive Collector's Edition Store: Unique in-game vendor with an assortment of items
Product Description

The Old Republic, players will explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Players choose to play as Jedi, Sith, or a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, defining their personal story and determining their path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way, players will befriend courageous companions who will fight at their side or possibly betray them, based on the players' actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this had to do something with Knights of the Old Republic. I'm shocked at how much sealed copies of KOTOR are going for on ebay!!!

Looks like a pretty good CE. Amazon has a preorder bonus with it that's emailed immediately so I'll order it for that at least. Edit: They all have that same offer.

[quote name='CaoPi']I thought this had to do something with Knights of the Old Republic. I'm shocked at how much sealed copies of KOTOR are going for on ebay!!![/QUOTE]

Wow I remember picking these up for close to $5 when Best Buy was having a clearance way way back.

5960493556_d05747a794.jpg

5960523952_ec7051a8df.jpg

CE @ Origin.
CE @ Amazon.
Standard @ Amazon.

I've wanted this game before it was even announced. KOTOR is my favorite game of all time, and ToR is certainly my most anticipated title ever.

Can't. Wait.

Pre-ordered ... not because I'm convinced I want to spend $150 on this ... but because Amazon immediately sends a pre-order code for early access ... and I'm assuming I can always cancel an Amazon order if it looks terrible or too derivative of WoW as it gets closer to release.

Pre-ordered for bonus then canceled. I am hopeful for this game, but I was SO badly burned by SWG that I am hesitant. I will wait to see how this game plays out, then hopefully pick up the collectors edition on Amazon Gold box or clearance.

However, if they introduced a lifetime pass for the game that is only available to buy for pre-order for a certain time then I would cave and buy it.

I'll preorder since Bioware has actually made their LE's somewhat limited in the past (ME and ME2) but with EA I don't see how they would actually see the benefit of 50k LEs. That said, they did the Crysis 2 LE that will undoubtedly stay rare unless some random reprint happens.

So what's does "50k gauranteed and 500k first come, first serve" mean? If there will be 500k of these things in NA I can assure you it won't be that hard to find one and you'll likely be able to find an actual deal on one somewhere.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Shouldve made an improved, updated pre NGE SWG..[/QUOTE]

Couldn't help but agree... heck pre-jedi would have even worked lol stupid hologrind. My
excitement has waned, i.e. space combat on rails?!?
Han wasn't on rails when he landed the falcon in a monsters mouth for repairs!

[quote name='Ghugrim']Origins CE sold out.[/QUOTE]
Wow, this might be the first CE to actually hold value since the original WoW CE. Got my order in at Amazon this morning, so they better not try to stiff me.

I still feel 150 for a CE for an MMO of all genres is insane. Especially with the failure rate for MMOs that's just way too high a risk for a game that could die in 6 months. Although I'm glad it doesn't look anything like SWG, because let's be honest, everything SOE has touched has gone to absolute garbage. I'm hoping for a Digital CE w/ just the in-game items and maybe soundtrack, otherwise I'll just wait for a deal on the standard edition.

Apparently on Origin's web store there's a digital CE w/ some of the in game items but none of the other extras for 80. Also, they're already showing the box CE sold out on Origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went ahead and preordered at Amazon. Not sure if I will keep it or not, $150 is a shit ton of money for one game, especially one that has monthly fees! But if this game ends up being as good as I want it to be then maybe it will be worth it.

I preordered both the CE and the standard on Amazon. Going to wait to see how the game turned out to decide whether to keep them though... Figured I would be on the safe side and at least lock in the CE in case I want it later.

Good lord, the price!

Is it sad, that the only thing I really want the out of that collector's edition is the authenticator keyfob device? That is probably one of the most useful things in that entire set! (I own these authenticator devices for other online games, and they've never been hacked. Screw you, Chinese goldfarmer!).

Despite the price, I'm so tempted to preorder anyways.

You know, the price of this collector's edition might be more stomachable if it came with a year's worth of free game time.

[quote name='Spacepest']Good lord, the price!

Is it sad, that the only thing I really want the out of that collector's edition is the authenticator keyfob device? That is probably one of the most useful things in that entire set! (I own these authenticator devices for other online games, and they've never been hacked. Screw you, Chinese goldfarmer!).

Despite the price, I'm so tempted to preorder anyways.

You know, the price of this collector's edition might be more stomachable if it came with a year's worth of free game time.[/QUOTE]

Wait, there is a keyfob device? U mean a usb device?

why do all companies relase LE/CE? Back in the day it was a limited run and priced at $80. But now they want to milk everything. If anyone wants to buy it for $150, then it better be worth the $150 and stop using cheap plastic stuff.

So where is the deal exactly?

You know this is the deals section I guess it was silly of me to think this might actually be a deal. Or is MSRP the new deal?

CE's are usually posted in deals because they're limited. It gives it some light for people unknowing it's available now.

I have one question, origins is the only place to get digital download for SWTOR. I preordered on amazon, assuming origins is like most other DD game services, will I be able to tie my game key to the origins account to download the game instead of installing from DVD as I do not have a dVD drive in my MBP. Do ALL SWTOR players have to use origins to play the game also? I read the pre-order FAQ and other faq's without any answers.

[quote name='aznguyen316']CE's are usually posted in deals because they're limited. It gives it some light for people unknowing it's available now.

I have one question, origins is the only place to get digital download for SWTOR. I preordered on amazon, assuming origins is like most other DD game services, will I be able to tie my game key to the origins account to download the game instead of installing from DVD as I do not have a dVD drive in my MBP. Do ALL SWTOR players have to use origins to play the game also? I read the pre-order FAQ and other faq's without any answers.[/QUOTE]

Considering HOW much EA is really pushing to make EA viable I would say any physical order you get will be tied to an origins account. I remember kinda that this being talked about in the swtor forums awhile back, but my memory sucks so don't trust my memory 100%.

Based on what you guys said, I changed my mind and pre-ordered again. I can always cancel it later if I want to, but better to lock it in now while it is not sold out.

[quote name='The Punisher']Wait, there is a keyfob device? U mean a usb device?

[/QUOTE]

It looks like an authenticator--its a tiny device that generates an additional code everytime you log into the game. They've been used on online games such as World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy 11 and 14, and so far, have been pretty hackproof. Bankers and online business people also use these same devices to keep their electronic accounts secure.

Basically, after you enter your name and password, the game will then prompt you to enter your authenticator code to complete the log in process. The authenticator generates a new code every time you use it, so its always changing. I've used them on a couple online games for years and have never had a problem with people hacking into my account.

After playing various MMOs over the years, I HIGHLY recommend them.

I've been waiting for this game since it got announced but I cannot pay that much for the collectors. Standard will do for me!

On a side note - I saw the closed beta, it is amazing!

I went ahead and bit on it because of the limited availability. $150 may seem like a lot now, but it will be worth a lot more in the future if I don't want the game anymore.

[quote name='Spacepest']Is it sad, that the only thing I really want the out of that collector's edition is the authenticator keyfob device? That is probably one of the most useful things in that entire set! (I own these authenticator devices for other online games, and they've never been hacked. Screw you, Chinese goldfarmer!).[/QUOTE]
I have never owned one of these and have never been hacked. Being smart online>paranoid devices.

If you preorder the regular edition from Amazon, it looks like they also give early game access, just like the collector's edition. (No word of an authenticator though...I'm guessing they will probably go up for sale seperately on the EA Origin webstore in the future?)

[quote name='Spacepest']If you preorder the regular edition from Amazon, it looks like they also give early game access, just like the collector's edition. (No word of an authenticator though...I'm guessing they will probably go up for sale seperately on the EA Origin webstore in the future?)[/QUOTE]

The authenticator might be exclusive, not sure.

I'm a whore for exclusive content on games that I love. I pre-ordered the collectors edition of SWG for the dinky stupid exclusive googles.

Will Buy the ME3 CE for its exclusive content, but hopefully wont have to pre-order and can wait for a price drop.

But darn limited quantities for TOR, makes me lean towards keeping my pre-order.

[quote name='Jodou']I have never owned one of these and have never been hacked. Being smart online>paranoid devices.[/QUOTE]
"Paranoid devices" are another means of being smart online. Why not put that extra amount of security on your account, whether it be a bank account or a MMO account that you've put a lot of time and effort into?

[quote name='Jodou']I have never owned one of these and have never been hacked. Being smart online>paranoid devices.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps.

But for those internet users that don't know about things like Firefox, antivirus and spyware, this can help. You'd be surprised how many people play MMOs and don't know about these things. (So if you plan on playing online games with someone who isn't very net savvy, these little devices also make the perfect, cheap gifts.)

Also, I think of it as physical cockblocking device to my game. I once watched a relative addicted to MMOs throw a fit because he couldn't access my World of Warcraft account during his visit, because I kept my authenticator in my back pocket the whole time. Cruel? Maybe.

I have many friends from WoW that were hacked due to just brute-forcing their login. Guild GMs, officers being hacked cripples the entire guild for a few weeks while admin restores the items/gold.

See what happened to Fusion. The authenticator is definitely worth the $6.XX or whatever they charge for it. Or get the mobile one for free.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I have many friends from WoW that were hacked due to just brute-forcing their login.[/QUOTE]
It's these kind of stories I just don't buy. There had to be a leak or something to go on before an attempted hack. Hackers don't just point at a person and say, that's the guy I'm going to hack without some information to use first. If they don't have it, chances are they don't even know you exist. We're one of the oldest, most hated/infamous PK gaming guilds in MMOs and not once has a member got hacked that didn't deserve it.

It's really not that hard to be perfectly safe unless you have downs.

This is probably one of the stupidest things I've read on here.

I guess all the companies that use RSA tokens should just get smarter too then huh?

I guess RSA should just be smarter online too. Oh wait they were already hacked a few months ago.

[quote name='gargus']So where is the deal exactly?

You know this is the deals section I guess it was silly of me to think this might actually be a deal. Or is MSRP the new deal?[/QUOTE]

You should cry about it some more. There is a whole Collector's Edition thread that has a bunch of MSRP stuff in it. Did you go in there and troll as well?

I'm in for the CE. I don't care that it's $150. I will easily support this game to the fullest extent I can. Bioware created a masterpiece and deserve my money. Plus, the Malgus statue is awesome and the soundtrack will be epic, not to mention a 7 day head start.

It's a matter of risk/effort. In my case, or rather my entire guild's; it wasn't a risk we were willing to take while competing for world firsts.

Somehow or another, these hackers do tend to go after more high-profile accounts.

I put my BNet account on a e-mail account that I use exclusively for it since I can't afford to lose what my account is worth.

I'm guessing that somehow they got the login e-mail and then brute-force passwords or the security question. As to how they got that info, perhaps datamining it from the guild's SQL server on their forums? It's not like these guild sites are particularly secure.

There's so many ways your info can be leaked at no real fault of your own but the good thing is, an authenticator vastly reduces the likelihood that it'd matter even if the info is out there.

[quote name='Darknuke']You should cry about it some more. There is a whole Collector's Edition thread that has a bunch of MSRP stuff in it. Did you go in there and troll as well?.[/QUOTE]

I made that thread so there would be less bitching, or at least the bitching could all be in one thread, but alas some CE's still have dedicated threads and people will continue to moan.

Note: I don't mind the individuals threads, some games certainly deserve more attention and discussion than a general CE thread may provide.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I'm guessing that somehow they got the login e-mail and then brute-force passwords or the security question. As to how they got that info, perhaps datamining it from the guild's SQL server on their forums? It's not like these guild sites are particularly secure.

There's so many ways your info can be leaked at no real fault of your own but the good thing is, an authenticator vastly reduces the likelihood that it'd matter even if the info is out there.[/QUOTE]
Blizzard REALLY pissed myself and others off when they did the Bnet integration for that reason. My account names were always exclusive and not just my email address in the past. Now that the login is just that, it's much easier to be compromised that way. I wish they'd go back to the older method of creating account names again, but I'm sure they never will because it's easier for them to manage.

[quote name='Jodou']There had to be a leak or something to go on before an attempted hack. Hackers don't just point at a person and say, that's the guy I'm going to hack without some information to use first.[/QUOTE]

No, that's the thing about a brute force hack... they don't target someone, they just try username/password combinations until one works... or in many cases anymore, they try more after that until they have a nice list of accounts that work going. You aren't targeted, they just get lucky on a guess.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Why does this immediately go to "shipping soon" when it comes out at the end of the year?[/QUOTE]

What ? my order says "Not yet shipped"

[quote name='AceSam14']What ? my order says "Not yet shipped"[/QUOTE]
I don't know. My Amazon order status is immediately going to "shipping soon" for no apparent reason.. unless I'm getting it at the end of July.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I made that thread so there would be less bitching, or at least the bitching could all be in one thread, but alas some CE's still have dedicated threads and people will continue to moan.

Note: I don't mind the individuals threads, some games certainly deserve more attention and discussion than a general CE thread may provide.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just hate the MSRP whiners... They come in every thread and troll just for the sake of trolling.

I will definitely be associating my account with the authenticator. I had my bnet account hacked (I don't use any mods, hacks, or buy gold) and lost a ton, though they did add a month of service to my WoW account ;). Got it all back from blizz, but won't make that mistake again.

I wish my order was shipping soon ;). I want the game now!!! Arg

bread's done
Back