Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

[quote name='floormat']searched cag and the last few pages of this thread and didnt see anything. Looking for the best place to preorder hos. The only deal i have seen so far is t he beta code at gamestop. Anyplace offering posters or anything else of note? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

$30 preorder at newegg with coupon code EMCXVVM25

[quote name='suko_32']$30 preorder at newegg with coupon code EMCXVVM25[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much. Wont let me use shoprunner for 2 day delivery for some reason...

I'm extremely excited for the campaign, I love the SC2 campaign thus far and I think this one will be even better.

Geeze, it's out in 2 days.

For whatever reason I haven't been paying ALL that much attention and I thought it was out in May, not March.

It will be a day 1 pickup for me, despite my misgivings about the multiplayer.. I really did enjoy WoL's campaign.

I really enjoyed Starcraft's campaign mode, but I dont think I'll be grabbing this anytime soon really. I'm fairly certain it wont be dropping in price at all really, but I'm not sure I wanna spend $30-$40 on it

I'm mainly interested in the campaign these days.. So I've put off buying it for the moment. How is the campaign so far? For those that have started it?

[quote name='Lokki']I'm mainly interested in the campaign these days.. So I've put off buying it for the moment. How is the campaign so far? For those that have started it?[/QUOTE]

I'm enjoying it. Only up to mission 6 and they're really enforcing the zerg mentality in the campaign. Screenshot of mission 4 showing what I mean as there are 333 selectable units:

zergeverywhere2.png

About a dozen or so story missions in, now (ETA: 18, to be precise) (don't know if Evolution Missions are counted by the game). The story's good, and so is the voice acting for Kerrigan! Color me pleasantly surprised. Hope it keeps up *knocks on wood*

Plot stuff:
I was so not expecting Infested Stukov's appearance o_O;

I'm also enjoying all the Zerg backstory/history stuff. In particular, the set of missions on the planet with the Primal Zerg was quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I forget how long I've been playing this series. It's like comfort food to jump back in to a good RTS. Every time a new Star Craft comes out I want to get into multiplayer but I just can't devote the time anymore to become good.

I'm only 12/27 but I'm having a blast(hard run through). I love the way you earn abilities for units/kerrigan compared to WoL. I LOVE that you can change abilities in between missions versus permanent ones in WoL that you had to buy. I would play some mp but I dont feel like playing ex GM players who de ranked to diamond :D

Played a little of the campaign so far. Pretty good. I'm really curious to find out if
Jim Raynor is really dead, I don't think it can be true? No way they can kill off a major character so casually...
(if you have played past the first few missions you should be ok on the spoiler)

I honestly never played Zerg in WoL at all, and i was not very good at playing SC2 to begin with, so I'm sucking it big time in the campaign. Hopefully I will get a better feel for it as I go on though.

One thing I don't like about the missions so far is that there is a little too muh emphasis on rushing through. A good number of the missions I have played so far have some kind of hard time limit be it due to a timer or some mechanic that limits the total length of the mission. This time constraint coupled with me being bad means I am usually scrambling to be done, which means I don't have time to enjoy the missions/game as much.

Finished the HotS campaign Sunday morning. Some story thoughts (spoilers):
- The relationship between Raynor and Kerrigan continues its trajectory, from WoL, of being the Cheesiest Cheese that Ever Cheesed. I understand the whole expanded universe blah blah blah, but it's so bad.
- Otherwise, Kerrigan was good. The whole bit where they have her break loose and give some justification for her going back to the Zerg was a bit hamfisted. Not sure how it could've been done better, though.
- There were retcons (the big one being that Amon acted separately from the rest of the Xel'naga as far as the tinkering with the Zerg goes; I think this might've been mentioned in WoL as well, but can't remember), but I'm okay with them, amazingly enough. The Hybrid part of the story has been building up since Brood War, after all.
- Abathur was amusing when he got worked up and/or envious when it came to genetic tinkering. In fact, all of the secondary Zerg and Primal Zerg characters were decent, though I could've done without Kerrigan's Adjutant-like assistant. I suppose the 'Toss will be getting something like that too in Legacy of the Void :roll:
- Hadn't expected to see: Nova, Infected!Stukov. Did expect to see but didn't: Duran. What the hell happened to him anyway?
- Zeratul likes to meddle, meddle, meddle. I want to see Raynor and Kerrigan nudge him a bit next time :razz:
- Raynor and Kerrigan, because I can't be annoyed by this enough. Quit it with the cheese, Blizzard!

[quote name='Ruahrc']Played a little of the campaign so far. Pretty good. I'm really curious to find out if
Jim Raynor is really dead, I don't think it can be true? No way they can kill off a major character so casually...
(if you have played past the first few missions you should be ok on the spoiler)

I honestly never played Zerg in WoL at all, and i was not very good at playing SC2 to begin with, so I'm sucking it big time in the campaign. Hopefully I will get a better feel for it as I go on though.

One thing I don't like about the missions so far is that there is a little too muh emphasis on rushing through. A good number of the missions I have played so far have some kind of hard time limit be it due to a timer or some mechanic that limits the total length of the mission. This time constraint coupled with me being bad means I am usually scrambling to be done, which means I don't have time to enjoy the missions/game as much.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Back in SC and Brood War, I always played Protoss (other than for campaign purposes). I did ok with Terran in WoL. I'm still grasping Zerg, though I'm doing ok. I just know that I'm not near as efficient as I would be playing with Protoss or Terran.

I have not really done any Multiplayer stuff with SC2, even though I was always doing it with Brood War back in the day. Maybe I'll get around to it after finishing the campaign. I'll take my lumps in the noob bracket though. I suppose I could practice against the AI. I used to do that with Brood War. 1v7AI. :lol:

[quote name='blueshinra']Finished the HotS campaign Sunday morning. Some story thoughts (spoilers):
- The relationship between Raynor and Kerrigan continues its trajectory, from WoL, of being the Cheesiest Cheese that Ever Cheesed. I understand the whole expanded universe blah blah blah, but it's so bad.
- Otherwise, Kerrigan was good. The whole bit where they have her break loose and give some justification for her going back to the Zerg was a bit hamfisted. Not sure how it could've been done better, though.
- There were retcons (the big one being that Amon acted separately from the rest of the Xel'naga as far as the tinkering with the Zerg goes; I think this might've been mentioned in WoL as well, but can't remember), but I'm okay with them, amazingly enough. The Hybrid part of the story has been building up since Brood War, after all.
- Abathur was amusing when he got worked up and/or envious when it came to genetic tinkering. In fact, all of the secondary Zerg and Primal Zerg characters were decent, though I could've done without Kerrigan's Adjutant-like assistant. I suppose the 'Toss will be getting something like that too in Legacy of the Void :roll:
- Hadn't expected to see: Nova, Infected!Stukov. Did expect to see but didn't: Duran. What the hell happened to him anyway?
- Zeratul likes to meddle, meddle, meddle. I want to see Raynor and Kerrigan nudge him a bit next time :razz:
- Raynor and Kerrigan, because I can't be annoyed by this enough. Quit it with the cheese, Blizzard!
[/QUOTE]
I've broken my "avoid all spoilers at all cost" habit with Heart of the Swarm on account of how... Blizzard-y the story of Wings was.
Doesn't Duran get killed in a cinematic?

[quote name='The Crotch']I've broken my "avoid all spoilers at all cost" habit with Heart of the Swarm on account of how... Blizzard-y the story of Wings was.
Doesn't Duran get killed in a cinematic?
[/QUOTE]
You might be right. It's been awhile since I played Brood War,
plus he's one of my least favorite characters in the whole franchise
, so I probably forgot outright.

Oh shit, so that's who he was.

Narud = Duran

The old "reverse the letters in the name" trick. Now I get it *head slap*

And it isn't a cinematic; there's a whole mission focused on that smackdown. They're throwing different colored Kamehamehas at each other, and Stukov has to go around deactivating temples to give Kerrigan an edge. It's one of the most memorable missions in the game.

So I finally decided to go online with starcraft this week after years of just campaign mode. I've only done 1v1 (bronze) and 4v4 (silver). I think I had a little luck at the beginning since my losses are really piling up.

So far I've only dabbled with terran since I'm familiar with those the most. I've gotten pass losing very early (

The absolute best strategy at low levels is to give as much attention as humanly possible to the production of units. You can get away with a lot if you're shitting out twice as many dudes as your enemy.

Also, you want lots of command centers. In fact, there used to be a strategy where people intentionally overbuilt command centers to a crazy degree so that they could mine almost entirely with MULE drops. MULEs are sick awesome, and they take no supply.

[quote name='The Crotch']The absolute best strategy at low levels is to give as much attention as humanly possible to the production of units. You can get away with a lot if you're shitting out twice as many dudes as your enemy.

Also, you want lots of command centers. In fact, there used to be a strategy where people intentionally overbuilt command centers to a crazy degree so that they could mine almost entirely with MULE drops. MULEs are sick awesome, and they take no supply.[/QUOTE]

MULEs are great. I started out by using my energy to double my depots but I think I'm better off going completely MULEs and just building more depots.

Is there a dedicated CAG community for Starcraft 2? I want to play multiplayer but like I think a lot of people, I don't necessarily want to get my ass kicked by strangers for weeks before I get good.

Finished the campaign over the weekend. Normal seemed easier then WoL but I could just be getting better with the interface. Still. A complete noob in MP though, so if any other CAGs want try to learn the ropes together, I'll be happy to give it a shot.

Jalu6 and Mr Unoriginal. I'm in the same boat. I've been playing matches against the AI trying to get faster with my initial building, but I haven't ventured into multiplayer yet. I used to play the heck out of multiplayer with brood war on SC1, but I haven't done any multiplayer with SC2.

My battlenet ID is DeathTrip#498 if you want to add me.

[quote name='Josh5890']MULEs are great. I started out by using my energy to double my depots but I think I'm better off going completely MULEs and just building more depots.[/QUOTE]

Mules mine 240 minerals vs the 100 you get from depots. Sometimes if your build is struggling and you get supply blocked its ok but generally you want to drop depots little as possible.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Mules mine 240 minerals vs the 100 you get from depots. Sometimes if your build is struggling and you get supply blocked its ok but generally you want to drop depots little as possible.[/QUOTE]Also keep in mind that if you're constantly using Mules, then your base will run out of minerals much faster, so you need to be sure to expand to a 2nd base quicker, and be ready to build a 3rd base. So if expanding is a problem, which I just had a bitch of a Scorched Haven game last night where I couldn't establish a 3rd base, then Mules will make that problem crop up quicker.

I like the expansion, but I'm finding myself not really using the new Protoss units they added, aside from the Tempest when I do build stargates. I'm going to get serious about playing 1v1 (instead of all team modes), so I think they'll be a much bigger factor for me soon.

[quote name='Lokki']Jalu6 and Mr Unoriginal. I'm in the same boat. I've been playing matches against the AI trying to get faster with my initial building, but I haven't ventured into multiplayer yet. I used to play the heck out of multiplayer with brood war on SC1, but I haven't done any multiplayer with SC2.

My battlenet ID is DeathTrip#498 if you want to add me.[/QUOTE]

I added you. For any and all looking to play this game online, add me:

Mac#1225

So far I'm 0-5 in 3v3 Bronze. I'm not awesome at the game but I feel like if I had teammates that would communicate and coordinate a plan that would benefit all of us. Let's try to get a clan going!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just created a group for our community. If you search in the Groups (NOT Clans, we will evolve to that later, hopefully), search for CAG. Cheap Ass Gamer was not available because they wouldn't let me have "Ass" in the name. It's open to the public!

I'll join the group when I get online tonight, but here's my battletag in case anyone from CAG wants to add me.

JayLu#1792

What does every play as?

Right now I like zerg, and I always played them in OG Starcraft. I still like them, but I don't feel like I'm near as good with them as I used to be. Maybe it had something to do with the custom maps (who remembers infinite resource maps??) that made me successful. I feel like I'm running out of resources just when I get the advanced units. I usually expand to 2 bases, but anymore and I feel like I stretch myself too thin. What I really don't get is that zerg is supposed to be the "cheap" race yet I still get annihilated by mass carriers, battle cruisers, etc. What am I missing?

You're missing more bases. A zerg can not run on for any significant length of time on two bases. Focus less on clever tricks and unit composition and more on vomiting out units. Build more bases, keep your queen energy low, and drone up whenever you think you're safe. Zerg usually have great map awareness thanks to overlords, speedlings, creep, and mutas, so you should usually know what's going on. If find yourself with too many drones late in the game, recycle them into static defences.

As a former Zerg only player, I can comment on this.

Make more than you think. Two hatcheries? Make 4. Think you have enough zerglings? well make more!

The Zerg is really about having more units and presence than the other races. If you top out to 200/200 food and you aren't attacking, then consider it a loss.

[quote name='j-cart']As a former Zerg only player, I can comment on this.

Make more than you think. Two hatcheries? Make 4. Think you have enough zerglings? well make more!

The Zerg is really about having more units and presence than the other races. If you top out to 200/200 food and you aren't attacking, then consider it a loss.[/QUOTE]

While playing the Zerg I personally like the lower level units better, do you find you have to be using Ultralisks and Abominations to win games?

Abominations aren't in multiplayer, yo.

Though "zerg don't have any good top-tier units except for brood lords" was a long-running problem in Wings. Ultras are a hell of a lot better than they used to be, though.

[quote name='The Crotch']...

Abominations aren't in multiplayer, yo.

Though "zerg don't have any good top-tier units except for brood lords" was a long-running problem in Wings. Ultras are a hell of a lot better than they used to be, though.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I haven't played multiplayer HoS yet, so I didn't know. I figured every unit in single player was in multiplayer.

Nah, it's just like how Wings didn't give terrans diamondbacks or firebats or medics. Only new units for HotS zerg are vipers and swarm hosts, though other units did get various buffs and nerfs.

I joined the group last night and played a few v AI matches. Has anyone tried running through the new training? Its interesting, for the basic Protoss training, it basically walks you through (slowly) building a 4 gate rush.

Played with BackInBlack (Roses) some today. He was a big help. We played some 2v2 Ranked matches and I have to say I think I got a lot better. The group is working! Lol. I'll be on late tonight around 12:30am CST after work.

bread's done
Back