Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

I played a couple with Mr Unoriginal last night.. I did badly. I was distracted in our first game against 2 AI, because I was getting a lot of messages from buddies playing WoW.

Second game we played a 3v3 game with Roses. I messed up my build order and then after I expanded, one of the zerg players from the other team sent a little rush down and kept taking out my drones. My resources fell way behind then. After that match, I left for dinner and didn't make it back on. I have lots of practice to do though.

Had a great time last night with everyone. Plan to be on again tonight probably between 7 - 10pm eastern.
In the meantime I'll be watching youtube videos.

If anyone finds good resources for strategy, they should post here. I was checking out the teamliquid forums but for a new player, they are basically written in a different language.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']

If anyone finds good resources for strategy, they should post here. I was checking out the teamliquid forums but for a new player, they are basically written in a different language.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm still trying to decipher some of that myself.

I'm not sure on my status for tonight. My kids are supposed to have baseball/softball games tonight, but I'm pretty sure they will be rained out. I may run through those tutorials.

Was watching those at work this morning. His style he shows is crazy. He has 10 barracks by the 10 minute mark. It doesn't necessarily sound like a fun strategy, but seems like it works.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Suko and I kicked a lot of 2v2 ass tonight.[/QUOTE]

The first team we played against thought Mr. Unoriginal was a smurf bronze and were rather BM!

Oh and by the way Mr. Unoriginal, your macro was better than any of the guys on the teams we played against.

Those videos and threads on Team Liquid are awesome. I have only played Zerg on S2, and not until today did I play as Terran. I tried the mass marine 10min attack strategy, it worked pretty well considering I haven't mastered it yet, and was successful 2 out of 4 times. If it doesn't work after your initial attack though, you're screwed. After 10 mins they usually have stronger units that will wipe out marines.

i'm reasonably decent at the game, it seems. i'm diamond in every league i'm playing currently and I don't care about losing, so if someone wants to play some games with me i'll give pointers as I can and I'll play with you in multi. I'll look at joining the CAG group, otherwise ping me (i think my user/# are still in the main post.

So I tried playing a bunch of games over the weekend, and I can definitely say I'm pretty terrible. I ran through every tutorial, beat both campaigns on Normal. I went through the AI matchmaking and won every match against Med/Hard AI. However, I get into 1v1 and can't catch a break. It just feels like everyone is making units so much faster than I am.

I won one game v a real person this weekend, and that was because we were 10 mins in before he made any units. (He was zerg and had 4 hatcheries before he made any army).

I know it takes practice and everything, but I'm barely bronze and I somehow keep getting matched up against gold level players. I guess I'm playing at the wrong times?

Are the 2v2 and 3v3 games more forgiving? I'm really just looking to have fun and if I win even 1 out of ever 4 or 5 games I'd be happy, but if it keeps up I'll probably end up going back to WoW until the next campaign expansion.

[quote name='jalu6']So I tried playing a bunch of games over the weekend, and I can definitely say I'm pretty terrible. I ran through every tutorial, beat both campaigns on Normal. I went through the AI matchmaking and won every match against Med/Hard AI. However, I get into 1v1 and can't catch a break. It just feels like everyone is making units so much faster than I am.

I won one game v a real person this weekend, and that was because we were 10 mins in before he made any units. (He was zerg and had 4 hatcheries before he made any army).

I know it takes practice and everything, but I'm barely bronze and I somehow keep getting matched up against gold level players. I guess I'm playing at the wrong times?

Are the 2v2 and 3v3 games more forgiving? I'm really just looking to have fun and if I win even 1 out of ever 4 or 5 games I'd be happy, but if it keeps up I'll probably end up going back to WoW until the next campaign expansion.[/QUOTE]

Follow the links in previous posts to Team Liquid and read up/watch videos. Practice makes perfect. And yes, the more you play the more evened out the playing field will be.

[quote name='jalu6']So I tried playing a bunch of games over the weekend, and I can definitely say I'm pretty terrible. I ran through every tutorial, beat both campaigns on Normal. I went through the AI matchmaking and won every match against Med/Hard AI. However, I get into 1v1 and can't catch a break. It just feels like everyone is making units so much faster than I am.

Are the 2v2 and 3v3 games more forgiving? I'm really just looking to have fun and if I win even 1 out of ever 4 or 5 games I'd be happy, but if it keeps up I'll probably end up going back to WoW until the next campaign expansion.[/QUOTE]

Do you play Terran or Protoss? Practicing 3 Rax timings or a straight up marine/barracks only macro build is a good idea. With Protoss if you 4 gate you can be in gold no problem.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Do you play Terran or Protoss? Practicing 3 Rax timings or a straight up marine/barracks only macro build is a good idea. With Protoss if you 4 gate you can be in gold no problem.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, maybe that's the problem. I play Protoss and I may be making things too difficult for myself. I've been trying to tech up to air when I don't have a good idea of the fundamentals down. After reading the replies, I think I'm just going to practice 4 gate until I get REALLY good at it.

Played some games with CMahoney and JayLu tonight. We won 3 in a row 3v3's. JayLu, the game you got knocked out in the start from the ling rush, we came back and won. They messed around linging us for so long that by the time we had an actual army we just plowed through them. They weren't smart enough to invest in the long haul.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Played some games with CMahoney and JayLu tonight. We won 3 in a row 3v3's. JayLu, the game you got knocked out in the start from the ling rush, we came back and won. They messed around linging us for so long that by the time we had an actual army we just plowed through them. They weren't smart enough to invest in the long haul.[/QUOTE]

Thats fantastic. Sorry I bailed after I got knocked out, but I'm on EST and was falling asleep at the keyboard. I think I should be able to watch that replay.

It was a blast playing with other CAGs by the way. Lesson learned - when playing v Zerg, I should build a cannon first.

One of the downsides to playing 4v4 is being in silver. It seems like I lose the majority of my games because there is always a teammate who drops right away or out right does nothing. It makes advancing very hard.

[quote name='Josh5890']One of the downsides to playing 4v4 is being in silver. It seems like I lose the majority of my games because there is always a teammate who drops right away or out right does nothing. It makes advancing very hard.[/QUOTE]

Play with CAGs!

Didnt realize unitl the weekend they have vs AI matchmaking. Made it to "Hard" playing 3 on 3 last night. makes it a little easier because the AI pressures you but you don't 6pooled or anything crazy.

For us noobs it certainly feels like a pretty forgiving match type.

[quote name='jalu6']Didnt realize unitl the weekend they have vs AI matchmaking. Made it to "Hard" playing 3 on 3 last night. makes it a little easier because the AI pressures you but you don't 6pooled or anything crazy.

For us noobs it certainly feels like a pretty forgiving match type.[/QUOTE]

I agree but unfortunately it does not give you the same satisfaction as beating a human opponent. I wish human matchmaking was better. They should not allow people to start games just to quit them in order to get a loss and get in a lesser ladder. I am in silver league and somehow I see players with gold or plat border outlines playing against me and I get destroyed.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']I agree but unfortunately it does not give you the same satisfaction as beating a human opponent. I wish human matchmaking was better. They should not allow people to start games just to quit them in order to get a loss and get in a lesser ladder. I am in silver league and somehow I see players with gold or plat border outlines playing against me and I get destroyed.[/QUOTE]

I think I was in a game with you last week where our 3v3 opponents just quit immediately to place in lower leagues. It sucks because it makes better players place in lower leagues, and bad players (like me, who only really knows how to make a lot of void rays) end up in gold when I should be playing with the rest of the noobs.

In the last few days I made my way up to Harder AI in both 2v2 and 3v3, and the randoms I've been playing with seem helpful. Since no one's getting embarrassed playing against real people, the random teammates have been a lot more forgiving of my terrible 4gate timings and constant supply blocks.

I am a huge SC2 fan, got WoL the day it came out but my computer back then could barely play it. As such I never bothered with HotS, but I got a new laptop last week that can get over 70fps (on lowest settings, which is fine with me) for $300 from Best Buy.

I have been watching pros stream for the last 2 years while I was unable to play. I feel like I learned a lot but have not been able to put it into use. As such...I am annoyed by how badly I am doing. Perhaps there is someone on CAG who wouldn't mind helping me? My preferred race is Protoss. Send me a PM if you want to to play and give me some advice.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I am a huge SC2 fan, got WoL the day it came out but my computer back then could barely play it. As such I never bothered with HotS, but I got a new laptop last week that can get over 70fps (on lowest settings, which is fine with me) for $300 from Best Buy.

I have been watching pros stream for the last 2 years while I was unable to play. I feel like I learned a lot but have not been able to put it into use. As such...I am annoyed by how badly I am doing. Perhaps there is someone on CAG who wouldn't mind helping me? My preferred race is Protoss. Send me a PM if you want to to play and give me some advice.[/QUOTE]

Thats kind of like saying, "I have Yankees season tickets, why can't I hit a 90mph fastball?"

There's strategy and there's execution. Knowing what to do is a big part of it but performing the action is something that only gets better with a lot of practice. So keep playing, you'll get better.

That being said, feel free to post some replays or message me in game. I'm a protoss player too.

Hmm.. really tempted to get HOTS. How many of anyone seeing this, don't really bother with matchmaking? I only play the AI, the campaign, and custom maps myself. I guess I wouldn't mind sparring (if I had HOTS)...

[quote name='Rhett']Hmm.. really tempted to get HOTS. How many of anyone seeing this, don't really bother with matchmaking? I only play the AI, the campaign, and custom maps myself. I guess I wouldn't mind sparring (if I had HOTS)...[/QUOTE]

I play a lot vs AI, simply because it doesnt rush and doesnt cheese so it takes the frustration out of it. Also, HOTS does matchmaking vs AI if you want to play 2v2 or 3v3 matches with a human partner.

EDIT: It looks like putting on vsync without frameratecaps works ok.

I am getting screen tearing when scrolling up/down/left/right in game. It stops when I enable vertical sync but I read you should not enable vertical sync if you added these terms to keep the frame rate from skyrocketing:

frameratecap=60
frameratecapglue=30

So I removed those 2 terms so I could enable vertical sync but now the game is rendering cutscenes over 200 FPS and heating up my GPU. I also read Blizzard patched that framerate problem, but it seems not. So what should I do to prevent skyrocketing framerate and stop the screen tearing? Is it safe to enable vertical sync and use those 2 terms to lower framerate or will that tax the GPU even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arcade is free for anyone to check out now. If you have it, check out Hive Keeper as it's a fan made Dungeon Keeper custom map for Starcraft II and it's actually pretty good!

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been any news on Legacy of the Void. HotS came out last year. I know there was a three year gap between WoL and HotS but I was hoping for a shorter wait.

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been any news on Legacy of the Void. HotS came out last year. I know there was a three year gap between WoL and HotS but I was hoping for a shorter wait.
Well, you see, there's this thing called "Blizzard Time"… it's like Valve Time but somewhat less annoying ;)

I'm fine with another long wait, personally. Better that than a bad Toss campaign (and given how good the Zerg one was, I've high hopes) :razz:

I'm still waiting for my flying blue flame blinking Colossi that can also shoot air, in Legacy of the Void.

I9AbKc.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkVMd1-ZyM8

Lurkers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaKT0YQSJ9I

Ground phoenixes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tKHSrkilGY

Ugh... carriers...

bread's done
Back