Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

[quote name='BattleChicken']I'm not feeling all that great today, so I stayed home from work.[/QUOTE]
trollfacehd523300x273.jpg

Trollface_HD.jpg

Just won a 3v3 along with Chicken and Crotch with me using Mass Ravens. Hilarious game, complete with 4-5 Seeker Missiles ripping apart groups of Mutas and 3 BCs, and then finishing up with a 27 Turret drop in an enemy base.

~HotShotX

I still can't believe it took all three of them attacking my forward fortification for them to wipe it out. I didn't even try to hide it and they caught it right away.

i played quite a few 2v2 games last night w/ my friend. we're both plat 1v1 players. we managed to lose 4/5 qualifiers. i was basically always doing a 14 pool while he would try to rush. after we ended up in the bronze league, we decided to just rush every single time. i went to an 8 pool instead. we then won 5 in a row. lesson seems to be to always rush (for mp at least). if nothing else, it at least slows down their econ.

anyone else notice that the path finding algorithm gives away that the opponent has built a wall? my lings won't even try to go up the ramp once the wall is up even though i haven't seen the wall yet. they'll just run to the corner closest to the move/attack location.

[quote name='jarvis307']i played quite a few 2v2 games last night w/ my friend. we're both plat 1v1 players. we managed to lose 4/5 qualifiers. i was basically always doing a 14 pool while he would try to rush. after we ended up in the bronze league, we decided to just rush every single time. i went to an 8 pool instead. we then won 5 in a row. lesson seems to be to always rush (for mp at least). if nothing else, it at least slows down their econ.

anyone else notice that the path finding algorithm gives away that the opponent has built a wall? my lings won't even try to go up the ramp once the wall is up even though i haven't seen the wall yet. they'll just run to the corner closest to the move/attack location.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's been bugging me for a while. If I'm on LT or something and find a terran's base last, my probe will just wander around the ridge.

More on pathfinding.

[quote name='The Crotch']I think my GPU is dying.

Frequent artifacting, freezing, and crashing.

I am sad.[/QUOTE]

Maybe just the cooling device is on the fritz?

Have you overclocked your video card at all, Crotch? I know in the olden days when overclocking actually mattered I encountered artifacting when I pushed it too hard... If you've had it OCed for a while, it could be the parts are burning out (literally).

The cooling option would be easy enough to test, assuming you have a table/floor fan you can test with - just take the side of the case off and point the fan at the video card. If it stops artifacting, its overheating.

If it *IS* dying, there are lots of inexpensive yet good cards out there. Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467

There are cards cheaper at under $50, but I would suggest something in the $100-$150 price point to get the most bang for your buck, should you need to replace your card.

[quote name='Clak']I need to play with you guys some time, I've only been gplaying against the AI with a friend.[/QUOTE]
you can't handle it

lol ai

[quote name='BattleChicken']So harsh, Kainzero.. I think he will require ointment for that third degree burn.[/QUOTE]
sorry

next time i won't research infernal preigniter

3s and 4s are awesome when you have competent set teammates.

Except when you give them control of your supply depots and they don't close the door behind them!

*cough cough ¬_¬

Bah! Just because half our losses (1) were due to me inviting lings into our base for tea... I guess I'll never live it down... I thought they were going to do a happy jig, not rape our bases.

we were 7/9 games though.. we did extremely well in our 3v3s this evening.

[quote name='kainzero']you can't handle it

lol ai

愛[/QUOTE]
Attitudes like this is why a lot of people avoid playing multiplayer and stick to the campaign or bots. How about offering some tips or playing a couple matches with him? That way he can get experience against a human and become a better player. But I guess "lololol rofl gg chobo" is a lot easier.

[quote name='yukine']Attitudes like this is why a lot of people avoid playing multiplayer and stick to the campaign or bots. How about offering some tips or playing a couple matches with him? That way he can get experience against a human and become a better player. But I guess "lololol rofl gg chobo" is a lot easier.[/QUOTE]
It's ok, I've played mutliplayer plenty of times, I just hate playing with randoms none of my friends will do multiplayer.

Besides, he just fears my void rush.:twoguns:

[quote name='Strell']SC2 officially killed my computer.

/implying I am totally taking down TC into the depths of hell with me[/QUOTE]
Just wait til it's winter, that way he can enjoy the warmer weather.

[quote name='yukine']Attitudes like this is why a lot of people avoid playing multiplayer and stick to the campaign or bots. How about offering some tips or playing a couple matches with him? That way he can get experience against a human and become a better player. But I guess "lololol rofl gg chobo" is a lot easier.[/QUOTE]
or you could recognize my extreme sarcasm

i actually like playing with not-as-skilled players
this game is too stressful at a high level

my attitude ain't anything compared to bnet pubs
it's very hard for me to win and not get a complaint

[quote name='Clak']Just wait til it's winter, that way he can enjoy the warmer weather.[/QUOTE]

And scuff up the topless dancing runway? Nah, you best bring 'em back where from ya got 'em.

[quote name='kainzero']my attitude ain't anything compared to bnet pubs
it's very hard for me to win and not get a complaint[/QUOTE]

Damn straight.. I started playing 1v1 recently, and while I always go random I wound up as Zerg a lot. I played zerg right - scout heavily, contain your enemy - and when I saw openings, I took advantage of them and overwhelmingly crushed the enemy.

I kept getting these people who were mad - "what a noob strategy", "BAD game, ass", even a few "learn to play", which I found the most ironic, as I won handily.

It all translates to "why didn't you didn't let me win". I'm sorry.. but because I don't allow you to beat me, I'm a being cheap? How does THAT work? The people who complain almost always are furious that you didn't let them have their way; the game at its higher levels is a dance of changing strategies based on what your enemy does - people who get uppity because you leverage information to defeat what they do are the most annoying of those I play against.

When I play a game as zerg against a terran, scout them repeatedly then send in speedlings in past a completely unblocked choke to demolish the two marauder, that isn't me being cheap, its me paying attention. I have seen as I've played more and more skilled players I get more "oh man, that was awesome" than "you're a dick"... but I still see way more whining THAT they lost than appreciation of WHY they lost.

I could care less what people say when I'm stomping them into pulp. At the same time, i wouldn't want that same person to randomize as a teammate, which I bet I'd get a screen full of complains from if we lost. Imagine BC, if you were teamed up with that first team of guys you tried to initiate small talk with. I can't imagine how that would go down if your team lost.

This brings me back to something that happened in beta. It was a 2v2 and my friend and we randomed zerg. For kicks i said, lets just 6pool someone and he agreed. A protoss scouted us, and saw it coming and proceeded to call us noobs and such. We still ended up overrunning his base because he tried to block off the huge ramp into his natural with 1 pylon and 2 gateways. He then threw out the typical "noob rush, l2p" stuff and insulted his partner for "not helping" and called him a chink because his name sounded japanese. He was a terran who walled off his main so he did the right thing.

[quote name='KhaosX']I could care less what people say when I'm stomping them into pulp.[/QUOTE]

it's still frustrating, imo
i've had a lot of bad losses, i'll admit. just bouts of unpreparedness that make me lose. and i'll rage, but i rage at home. i don't talk trash or whatever, because the loss is on me. why am i gonna get mad at him, he played awful and i played worse.

i play terran so i get A LOT of flak just from the start.
i remember one time i made a reaper during standard timing, with the expectation to pick off a probe and scout. no stalkers are out so i just picked off all the probes and microed the reaper. inc. shitstorm - "are you serious, you cheap pos, terran is OP, you suck, etc etc."

i cliffed an expo in another game. "terran is OP, that's cheap, my teammate sucks." won a 3v3 with TTP because we early rushed marine+zeal. "you guys only won because you had dual terran."

and the worst part is that i can't BM them back because then they'll play hide the building and won't gg making games take even longer.

anvo;asawyhohyaohasdohfoahfa;oiehfoeiw

[quote name='KhaosX'] Imagine BC, if you were teamed up with that first team of guys you tried to initiate small talk with. I can't imagine how that would go down if your team lost.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the "you guys are n00bs" guy, who then asked what league we were in.. to which I responded "while there is a lot of variance in the skill of Diamond players, none of us are bad at the game".

Then he said "So you're diamond noobs". I then dropped cannons within visibility of his choke (!!), which killed his barracks, then 6 lings killed all his peons. "Thank you for the expansion", I said, as I built a nexus in the spot his com center used to be while he still had buildings up, so he could see what I was doing. That was classic.

The game wouldn't have been nearly as embarrassing for them if not for the trash talking he tried to do at the beginning.

I'm getting really fucking fed up with all the 'racism' in Starcraft. Sure the game isn't perfect but don't take out your nerd rage on me, I play Terran because that's what I know, not because some flavor of the month bullshit. And watching livestreams is even worse, CellaWeRRa has such an annoying fanclub of Terran hate (No reflection on the man himself)

I'm on SC2 hiatus cause I'm just tired of this game's user base.

whooo~!! I beat capaign mode!! (only 25/26 missions for sum reason o_O)

and beat all the challenges too (bronze medals coz I suck lol)

so now Im ready to finally do the multiplayer online mode!!

I think my BNET ID is JEKKI. I'll try playing a match in a few...

[quote name='JEKKI']whooo~!! I beat capaign mode!! (only 25/26 missions for sum reason o_O)[/QUOTE]

You missed the secret mission that you unlock in Media Blitz.
It cannot be unlocked post-Char. You'd need to load a save before then and then play Media Blitz, where you would need to destroy a science facility in the bottom right of the map.

GOT DAMN MAN!!

I am STRESSED!

lol.

so far I am 2-2

I won my last round of the strength of one banshee. lol this game is brutal

[quote name='JEKKI']GOT DAMN MAN!!

I am STRESSED!

lol.

so far I am 2-2

I won my last round of the strength of one banshee. lol this game is brutal[/QUOTE]

You need to post your 3 digit character code too or else no one here can friend you :(

Woo.. I just ranked up to diamond in my 1v1. Go me. It is my birthday.

In any event, I'm playing now if anyone wants to play some games - just send me a message. BattleCHickn.751. Note it isn't "chickEn" - sans the 'E'.

Played some 2v2 with BattleChicken. It was really fun and some of the matches were lols. Next time we play I hope I won't be half asleep.

When I was all silvery, I thought "Reaper are way too powerful" Now that I'm all Diamondy, I think Reapers are way too powerful. They can be countered and dealt with, but what other unit in the game can come in from practically any angle, deal insane damage to light units and buildings, then leave before they can be shot back at.

If someone gets 4-5 reaper near a mineral line for even only 5 seconds, they can demolish an economy completely. No other unit can do that in such a small quantity for such a small price.

Their destructive force paired with their mobility and how inexpensive they are makes me really hate that unit. If I see I'm against multiple terran in any matchup, I will as a reflex build counter units and place them near my minerals - the threat of a single unit dictates my strategy.

A 6 pool can be repelled with peons and more or less any unit. Well microed lings will usually still lose to SCVs and a couple marines. without a marauder, stalker, or queen reaper win. They murder marines and lings absurdly fast and they can kite zealots. Their speed, though, is the biggest problem. they just need to keep moving out of range of your defensive units, take a shot, and move again. with only two, two volleys kills a peon. If it gets too hot, they can jump down and run away - meaning they can incur no losses even if the counter units are there and placed properly. It requires a much higher amount of micro and skill to catch reaper before they deal their damage than it takes for the terran to use them and escape - an unfairly high amount, in my opinion.

All other rush units are kind of an all-in. Reaper have too many outs for their cost and power. It is possible that the build time change in the next patch will fix everything, but I still think that reaper should require vision to cliff jump, their attack range needs to be a roach-level 3, or their speed needs to be reduced such that they cannot kite the way they do now without the upgrade.

In 3v3s, which I've been playing a lot for fun I see way too many reaper.. terran reapers, blows a wall, and in come zealots and/or lings. It is very potent, and very boring.

Best way to counter Reapers is to put units by the cliff(s) where Reapers come in, they rush in without vision and boom, gone. Then the Terran just wasted resources on papier-mache units that get chewed up by any other unit.

Reapers as far as I can tell, are only really useful in the early game and that is when the opponent is not expecting them. That is unless you have some gosu micro, which I do not.

[quote name='BattleChicken']reaper stuff[/QUOTE]
in 1v1...

tvt: reapers are kinda useless. you just need to hold them off until you get a tank out. don't engage reapers piecemeal with marines, if they outnumber your marines its over. there's a critical mass where marines will kill reapers. once you do get a tank out, tvt is all about tank positioning, and they just wasted a ton of gas on reapers and you can set up a contain and expand to your heart's content. each reaper is 50 gas, that's a lot of gas.

tvz: haven't played enough

tvp: i think standard pvt build is pylon-gate-cy core and once the first stalker comes out the reaper harass is over. at most i build one reaper as an alternative to scouting.

in not 1v1...

reapers are high risk. people who are quick on the draw and can run away their workers will lose a little bit of mining time only. reapers are also useless in a big scale battle. the natural response to a failed reaper harass is an attack that usually ends the game.

reapers are high micro units. it's extremely difficult to micro reapers and build in-base at the same time. i have pretty high apm and i'm still sweating beads trying to micro one reaper away from a zealot in order to attack probes and constantly build scvs + units + buildings.

if you go 2-gate, you better believe i'm going reapers.
in 3v3 i almost always open MM or marine+tank.

[quote name='yukine']Best way to counter Reapers is to put units by the cliff(s) where Reapers come in, they rush in without vision and boom, gone. Then the Terran just wasted resources on papier-mache units that get chewed up by any other unit.

Reapers as far as I can tell, are only really useful in the early game and that is when the opponent is not expecting them. That is unless you have some gosu micro, which I do not.[/QUOTE]

That sounds good on paper, but impractical. Many maps have a large area to cover, and you wont be able to cover everything with the 2(max) units you have by the time it reaches your base. You cant chase it, and all the guy needs to do is outrun whatever unit you're using to chase it. If you choose to protect your mineral line, they go for a supply/pylon. Yes they're weak, but not 1hp weak. Unless you're lining up your cliff with range units, they can simply jump in and run past you like hellions ignore spine crawlers.

At best the only way they can resist,
Protoss have no choice but to go all in with stalker
Terran have can either counter reaper or go marauder at the same build,
Zerg have alot more options to defend it easier, but ultimately they will die to mmm anyway :cry:

[quote name='KhaosX']That sounds good on paper, but impractical. Many maps have a large area to cover, and you wont be able to cover everything with the 2(max) units you have by the time it reaches your base. You cant chase it, and all the guy needs to do is outrun whatever unit you're using to chase it. If you choose to protect your mineral line, they go for a supply/pylon. Yes they're weak, but not 1hp weak. Unless you're lining up your cliff with range units, they can simply jump in and run past you like hellions ignore spine crawlers.

At best the only way they can resist,
Protoss have no choice but to go all in with stalker
Terran have can either counter reaper or go marauder at the same build,
Zerg have alot more options to defend it easier, but ultimately they will die to mmm anyway :cry:[/QUOTE]
uhhh...

you should scout. if i see tech lab on a barracks i can assume reapers MAY be coming. they can tech switch on me but it's not likely.

when it comes to defending key points, it's quite easy to see where they'd come in. learn the map. additionally, you'll have cliff vision. one marine can take down a reaper if he attacks first, and he will once he sees off a cliff.

protoss doesn't have to go "all-in" with stalker. i see a lot of zealot sentry builds with 2 or 3 stalkers in the back to protect against reapers. as long as you micro properly 2-3 stalkers will take out 6 reapers.

zerg actually has the most trouble with reapers because they rely on map control and expansion and mass reapers shuts them down. most people mech against zerg and not MMM because infestors can fungal growth MMM balls to death.

see?

Well I play as Terran, and I just throw a couple of marines on both cliff entrances and that usually takes care of a reaper rush... then I march my marauders and rines over to their base and get the GG, since they opted for reapers instead of rauders.

I think you and I are talking about two different scenerios kane. I'm talking about those who opt into getting the fastest reaper out or try to proxy reaper, which is pretty much the bulk of all the reaper talk. Its unlikely you're gonna have two zealots and a sentry by then. There's a reason why every game I play against a protoss when I random terran, 90% of the time they first make a zealot, then a stalker. Anything after the first 4 or so minutes and they shouldn't be a problem anymore. With the new patch coming out, I expect to see it a lot less. I'm also pretty sure a marine with first strike is not going to kill a reaper unless theres some kind of catch involved, as I've done it many times after jumping up a cliff only to be greeted by a soon to be dead marine.

Oh, and for the record, i have no problems with reapers. I've played enough games to know what i can get out before i am greeted by a reaper with any race. But theres a reason why the new patch is delaying their production, and why pro level players are swapping over to terran(not because of reapers alone, but its one of many)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='suko_32']You need to post your 3 digit character code too or else no one here can friend you :([/QUOTE]ahh! I found it!!

JEKKI

I played my first real ladder match today after finishing my 5 placements.

lol I lost.

[quote name='KhaosX']I think you and I are talking about two different scenerios kane. I'm talking about those who opt into getting the fastest reaper out or try to proxy reaper, which is pretty much the bulk of all the reaper talk.[/quote]
people fail to realize how bad a 6 rax reaper is to their own economy. you have to kill like 4-5 probes just to equalize it and by then you can get a stalker out, a queen out, a maruader out.

I'm also pretty sure a marine with first strike is not going to kill a reaper unless theres some kind of catch involved, as I've done it many times after jumping up a cliff only to be greeted by a soon to be dead marine.
A marine's range will give him at least 2 hits before the reaper can sight him and shoot him, and the second one should be out shortly, if not already out.

But theres a reason why the new patch is delaying their production, and why pro level players are swapping over to terran(not because of reapers alone, but its one of many)
the reason is because of a build debuted against Idra in a recent tournament. 5 barracks producing reapers can contain zerg and hit a critical mass to where roaches aren't too big a threat. it's not the early reaper at all.

i don't think pro level players are swapping to terran. terran is definitely dominating the latter but it's not just reapers. tvz is difficult for z to win if t mechs properly and tvp, t has almost all the initiative and the p is forced to adapt.

Some times I play people and I just have to wonder, 'how the hell did you get in the league you're in'

Just got cannon rushed in Desert Oasis by a diamond leaguer who didn't even do it properly. DIAMOND LEAGUER (I won)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Some times I play people and I just have to wonder, 'how the hell did you get in the league you're in'

Just got cannon rushed in Desert Oasis by a diamond leaguer who didn't even do it properly. DIAMOND LEAGUER (I won)[/QUOTE]

Everyone has off games.. And I firmly believe that platinum players and low/mid level diamond players are at about the same skill level.

bread's done
Back