Starting May 22nd, students who spend > $699 on a Windows 7 PC get a free Xbox 360

I found out that this deal is a complete ripoff since they roll you into a different package with hidden costs to offset the "discount". I just ordered a laptop from Dell without using the student discount. The same exact laptop with the "free" Xbox using the student offer would've cost me $140 more. Customer service told me that the difference in price is because of the different warranty. What a crock!
This is not unusual for Dell though. My employer has a partnership with Dell so I can get a discount if I go through the employee link. Guess what, that link is more expensive too.

I chose to order the laptop today without using either types of discounts because it came out the cheapest this way. Absolutely insane when you think about it!

[quote name='ooga']I found out that this deal is a complete ripoff since they roll you into a different package with hidden costs to offset the "discount". I just ordered a laptop from Dell without using the student discount. The same exact laptop with the "free" Xbox using the student offer would've cost me $140 more. Customer service told me that the difference in price is because of the different warranty. What a crock!
This is not unusual for Dell though. My employer has a partnership with Dell so I can get a discount if I go through the employee link. Guess what, that link is more expensive too.

I chose to order the laptop today without using either types of discounts because it came out the cheapest this way. Absolutely insane when you think about it![/QUOTE]

Damn, I mean I use Dell products and I know they're mostly shit (same with customer service), but that's ridiculous.
Microsoft and Dell are just perfect partners to pull this kind of scam off together.
That said, I admit to being a 360 user/PC owner, and am now happy I bought my college laptop in '08 and have had no need for a new one yet. : D

I was checking out this deal yesterday on amazon. There was a decent looking lenovo for 699. If normal amazon rules apply, would seem to be a good deal.

[quote name='tatotiburon']is there any way to get an .edu mail? my emal ends .edu.co and amazon didn't accept it[/QUOTE]

no websites ever accepted when they asked for it like the Amazon Prime or this deal. its says is not valid.

and it ends in .edu

I have no idea why me edu address is never accepted.

I had plans on getting an HP laptop for college this year. I'll just need to buy a 250GB hard drive for it, and maybe I can sell my old Xbox for a PS3.

[quote name='oasisboy']You want to buy a shitty $300 computer and get a free xbox? Damn... some people.

You remind me of the dude at McDonalds who bought a $1 McDouble and was bitchin about the burger being too small and not having any vegetables...[/QUOTE]

The 300 dollar computers only come with a wii.

If I had the money I would go through with this deal. I have only a netbook that I use for school. I wouldn't mind a laptop as my main computer on the go.

I also have an Xbox 360 elite 120GB. I'd so take apart the hard drive and put in a slim casing to go with this free slim Xbox 360 4GB.

Picked up the HP TouchSmart 610 for $865 (every place else had it for $999) and got my free Xbox like 2 days later. LOVE the computer (suits my non-gaming needs and the touchscreen is pretty cool) and the new Xbox was just icing on the cake. Thinking about just using a 16gb memory stick for extra memory for the time being. Any of the knockoff harddrives worth picking up or is the 250gb official one the only way to go?

[quote name='lawdood']Picked up the HP TouchSmart 610 for $865 (every place else had it for $999) and got my free Xbox like 2 days later. LOVE the computer (suits my non-gaming needs and the touchscreen is pretty cool) and the new Xbox was just icing on the cake. Thinking about just using a 16gb memory stick for extra memory for the time being. Any of the knockoff harddrives worth picking up or is the 250gb official one the only way to go?[/QUOTE]

The official 250gb ones are about $100 nowadays and the plus is it is dead simple to install and it is plenty large enough for most peoples needs.

If you have an older style xbox hard drive sitting around, you can also use it in the new Xbox S, but it takes a little bit of work. You can crack open the old style enclosure and remove the hard drive and plug it into the new Xbox S. But they don't fit tightly, however, so need to be careful when moving the 360 around...or you can buy knock off enclosures off Ebay for a more secure fit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0NhKgRC2tg

just did this for my cousin i have a Amazon Student account bought her a Toshiba laptop for $900 which came last wednesday and on thursday amazon told me my promo discount was applied to my account ordered the 4GB Xbox 360 that day everything went smoothly

[quote name='unforeseen']The free Xbox 360 deal at Best Buy ended last week.[/QUOTE]
I thought the deal was good till september?

[quote name='MXRider']I thought the deal was good till september?[/QUOTE]

Not at Best Buy. Best Buy replaced it with a $100 gift card with Windows PC $699+.

[quote name='K_G']The official 250gb ones are about $100 nowadays and the plus is it is dead simple to install and it is plenty large enough for most peoples needs.

If you have an older style xbox hard drive sitting around, you can also use it in the new Xbox S, but it takes a little bit of work. You can crack open the old style enclosure and remove the hard drive and plug it into the new Xbox S. But they don't fit tightly, however, so need to be careful when moving the 360 around...or you can buy knock off enclosures off Ebay for a more secure fit.
[/QUOTE]

Thx man, appreciate the info and yeah I have a 360 elite so could totally take out the harddrive.

bread's done
Back