Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
JC games falls into the same line as other sandboxes with weak/unimportant story & character development - i.e. Skyrim; TDU2; Far Cry 3+4; etc.

Once you get your fill - and certainly, 20 hours in a row would be probably too much for me with any JC game - you leave the game alone; and then come back at a later said date when you get that itch to just roam the world and do (likely mostly) side-quests/activities.

EDIT:

I don't have JC3 - but JC1+2 are a blast to just roam around, blow things up, kill enemies, and goof around in an outstanding sandbox. I certainly would expect JC3 to be "more of the same."
Yes, I'm aware of all of this. That said, I can't compare them to the FC games at least not 3 and 4. While I hated Jason Brody, I generally liked the whole reasoning for what was going on there and while I found 4 more of the same at least the changes were made for the better.

I don't think JC3 is bad, yes its more of the same, but the lack of variety beyond blowing shit up is eh. Its hardly GTA V. Even a game like Shadow of Mordor is generally same shit all over the place, but it didnt get old, at least not for me. I had hope that JC3 would've improved things like the story or at least make the missions somewhat interesting beyond a handful. As a sandbox experience, its fine, but beyond that its got very little staying power.

Yes, I'm aware of all of this. That said, I can't compare them to the FC games at least not 3 and 4. While I hated Jason Brody, I generally liked the whole reasoning for what was going on there and while I found 4 more of the same at least the changes were made for the better.

I don't think JC3 is bad, yes its more of the same, but the lack of variety beyond blowing shit up is eh. Its hardly GTA V. Even a game like Shadow of Mordor is generally same shit all over the place, but it didnt get old, at least not for me. I had hope that JC3 would've improved things like the story or at least make the missions somewhat interesting beyond a handful. As a sandbox experience, its fine, but beyond that its got very little staying power.
Granted, I've yet to play GTA5 + SoM. But, based on history of those dev's (Rockstar + Monolith)...well, I would expect basically any other game from those guys to out-do JC games in the story + character stuff....by a mile. Granted, Rockstar and 'Lith don't tell BioWare or Obsidian type of stories and character development - but for the type of games that they both do (i.e. Monolith usually does action or shooters, Rockstar does open-world action games), they're normally pretty good. Given Avalanche's history - they are certainly not known for that stuff by any stretch of anybody's imagination.

JC series was never a game that I play for ridiculous hours in a row (i.e. 20 hours!!) without playing something else in between. If I need an hour, two, or three to just blow-up stuff, roam around the game-world, do side-missions/activities, and do silly things - it does that stuff normally great.

EDIT:

You're not missing much. Not that it's bad but everything it does, JC2 does better and while looking nicer.
It probably helped for me w/ JC1, that I played it back not too long after it came out - so that kind of game really felt quite fresh during its time. I remember when it first came out, it just was tons of fun and something completely different from most open-world games, as it focused almost entirely on being a sandbox - and everything else was basically secondary.

And yeah, JC2 is definitely the better game - even though it's a better-looking JC game that does "more of the same."

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I know nobody cares I thought I'd keep track of what games I finished in 2015 to see exactly how much progress I made towards my backlog. 

The games I finished were:

Xcom: Enemy Within
The Darkness II
Bastion
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Assassin's Creed
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
The Witcher 3
Borderlands 2: The Pre-Sequel + Claptastic Voyage dlc
Age of Empires 2 HD - All campaigns
Legacy of the Void

and I'm currently 35'ish hours into PIllars of Eternity.

The good news is the only games I bought on release in 2015 I played (Witcher 3 and PoE) the bad news is that I probably bought at least 4-5x more games than I finished last year and I was making a conscious effort to not buy crap I didn't intend to play.  I blame Witcher 3 and csgo mostly because it took me like 3 months of only playing Witcher 3 to beat it and I just flat out play too much csgo.

Also, The Escapists is $4.89, The Escapists: Walking Dead is $7.20
I've been having a great time with Prison Architect, and The Escapists looks like a reverse take on that theme. Has anyone played The Escapists and have strong opinions on the game one way or another?

Also, I hear it's hard, and when game nerds start talking fondly about how hard a game is, all I hear is frustration. Ain't got time fo' dat.

Do note ELO boundaries have changed for CS:GO recently so expect to de-rank if you haven't played for awhile. The average level (based on a bell curve) that Valve is going for is gold nova master.

Do note ELO boundaries have changed for CS:GO recently so expect to de-rank if you haven't played for awhile. The average level (based on a bell curve) that Valve is going for is gold nova master.
And you can derank on a Win...

I'm still in the top 7% so idgaf...more people need to get on my level (without hacking)

I use to play CS:S and CS:GO quite frequently, although I haven't touched either in over 10 months so I bet my rank is horrible. I almost sold off all my StatTrak guns, miscellaneous weapons and cases for extra GabeN funds but I just couldn't do it. I was weak.

I use to play CS:S and CS:GO quite frequently, although I haven't touched either in over 10 months so I bet my rank is horrible. I almost sold off all my StatTrak guns, miscellaneous weapons and cases for extra GabeN funds but I just couldn't do it. I was weak.
After a hiatus you just get unranked until you play one or two then get ranked again.

I used to play CS:GO, too, but after playing the same map 1700 times and seeing constant "/tntplant" and "2pro get rekt fgt" chat talk I decided to uninstall it.

Oh wait, that wasn't me. I never played CS:GO. Those tryhard douchebags have just ruined other Source-based games for me.

I hope Steam does a repeat day today. I missed some of the earlier deals.
Well if we mean Sarcastically.. You mean "Earlier deals" as in last year..

Otherwise to those who didnt know. Steam stopped doing daily deals and flash sales and now devs just give the avg they wanna sell for the entire holiday season.

I used to play CS:GO, too, but after playing the same map 1700 times and seeing constant "/tntplant" and "2pro get rekt fgt" chat talk I decided to uninstall it.

Oh wait, that wasn't me. I never played CS:GO. Those tryhard douchebags have just ruined other Source-based games for me.
Dust2 24/7

Speaking of 1 maps I haven't played in a while but played League of Legends for years. Also dipped my hand in DOTA 2 for a while. Talk about getting tired of the same map after a while. I need to try out Heroes of the Storm...least it has multiple maps with multiple objectives. Just haven't after playing Hearthstone and just getting bored of it after a while. It's just not as good as MTG and I doubt it will ever be.

Is the Shadows of Modor DLC worth it to get the GOTY edition if you own the vanilla version...in my case on PS4 already? I'm thinking of the GMG price.

Posted it on the trading forum but figured wouldn't hurt to drop a quick post here. I have a grim steam key I am looking to trade for another steam game. Pm me with an offer.

Sorry but this is a terrible place to ask that. None of the CAG regulars own it from what I can tell. Everyone probably dismissed it as bundle fodder. I have a ton of Steam friends and pretty much only the tiny handful who buy everything own it.

Anyway, one of my (non-CAG) Steam friends who's really into unusual and artsy type games wrote a review for it.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/epilexia/recommended/359400/

TL;DR - she really liked it a lot.

Sorry but this is a terrible place to ask that. None of the CAG regulars own it from what I can tell. Everyone probably dismissed it as bundle fodder. I have a ton of Steam friends and pretty much only the tiny handful who buy everything own it.

Anyway, one of my (non-CAG) Steam friends who's really into unusual and artsy type games wrote a review for it.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/epilexia/recommended/359400/

TL;DR - she really liked it a lot.
Ah that was the first review I saw on the store page.

I'm quite surprised only 4 people on my list "want" it. I tried to play the "Why am i dead" version on newgrounds but it was broken for me.

Top frag and win, sent down to gold nova 3 from MGE.

I'm mostly playing Rainbow Six: Siege atm and it's quite a nice change from CSGO. Community is definitely more mature but hacking is rampant in ranked. Ubisoft has no report system or anti-hack in place. What a shame.
Last time I played cs:go I deranked from LEM to DMG in like 3 matches haha so I feel your pain. Whats your steam info?? I am likely going to pick up rainbow six too even though its sounds like the servers are garbage.

Last time I played cs:go I deranked from LEM to DMG in like 3 matches haha so I feel your pain. Whats your steam info?? I am likely going to pick up rainbow six too even though its sounds like the servers are garbage.
Servers are most definitely garbage. At game launch, it was smooth ! But in the past few weeks, just absolute shit. For like 3 days this week, I received no XP or renown for any of my games due to server sync errors.

My signature image thing links to my profile, add me there~

I've been having a great time with Prison Architect, and The Escapists looks like a reverse take on that theme. Has anyone played The Escapists and have strong opinions on the game one way or another?

Also, I hear it's hard, and when game nerds start talking fondly about how hard a game is, all I hear is frustration. Ain't got time fo' dat.
I played it quite a bit ago after getting it from the panda, so still early in its early access life. All I recall was being extremely bored with it very quickly. I could tell it was a difficult game, but I didn't even get to the point of frustration because of how quickly I shelved it.

The Escapists is too close in name to The Escapist, so I thought I owned it and I bought DLC for it but it turns out I don't own it so the DLC is pointless and I got shitty gifts from IG when I bought the DLC so

0/10

I have a pair of Bose headphones I really like but I needed new earpads for them cause the old ones were getting grody. Luckily, the Chinese make replacements super cheap so I ordered them here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231765236049?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dude sends me one earpad and nothing more and Ive been in a pissing match argument for 3 days about how this is going to be fixed. He is refusing flatly to send me the other ear pad and is offering me a 25% refund. Then in his latest msg, the refund has been lessened. Oh, Ebay. At least the one earpad fit perfectly and was super simple to install. 

I've ordered a few things like this from the plethora of Chinese sellers. Mostly things like cords and such, but this is my first problem. What a waste of time over a $4 purchase (it was cheaper when I bought it).

Is the Shadows of Modor DLC worth it to get the GOTY edition if you own the vanilla version...in my case on PS4 already? I'm thinking of the GMG price.
I would say not really, but at the same time I wouldnt dismiss it immediately out of hand. The Bright Lord DLC is the highlight of it, but its not great. Its cool being able to play as Celebrimbor, but its not executed really well and feels kind of rushed. If your hardware is really good, then it may be something to consider. I say this because it has higher requirements than the base game and you may want to maximize it if you're double dipping. The other DLC that provides at least some measure of content is Lord of the Hunt which is basically what the name implies. You hunt down a bunch of different beasts but its pretty lukewarm. I was really unimpressed with it. Outside of these two pieces there are a few challenge maps, some runes, and a few skins. Basically crap.

$11.24 on GMG (before coupon) is eh. The DLC that is actual game content is not worth that if you're double dipping as neither of the DLCs that matter will provide a huge amount of game play. It may be worth waiting for b/c I would not be surprised to see the base game bundled some day and you can just get the GOTY upgrade in another Steam sale. Or if not bundled, it will assuredly go on sale again and even lower. I personally wont double dip unless its literally rock bottom.

Trying to decide what I should get in this sale. My fakeybro senses are tingling and I may go for some DLC for games I have (okay discounts) but I'm thinking of getting Binding of Isaac Rebirth/Afterbirth, ADOM, Undertale.....I don't know....it's actual games I will play....likely will just do 2 of the games. Not really getting the ultra cheap games though I may get the Hexcells collection. Does anyone recommend the Hexcells games?

I hope none of you console peasants buy your consoles/handhelds at gamestop, because apparently some of them keep their consoles in the bathroom.

pHRrdUZ.png

Taken from the PS Vita thread:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/324199-ps-vita-deals-discussions-thread/page-909#entry13135182

MORE LIKE BUTTSTOP MIRITE?!

Trying to decide what I should get in this sale. My fakeybro senses are tingling and I may go for some DLC for games I have (okay discounts) but I'm thinking of getting Binding of Isaac Rebirth/Afterbirth, ADOM, Undertale.....I don't know....it's actual games I will play....likely will just do 2 of the games. Not really getting the ultra cheap games though I may get the Hexcells collection. Does anyone recommend the Hexcells games?
HIGHLY recommend Hexcells. One of the finest puzzle games I've played

Get all 3. The tutorial is best with the first Hexcells and will ease you into the game.

I have 800 hours in CSGO and my most played map is Nuke at 95% of all my maps played lol
This comment reminds me of Dust2 on the original CS MOD for Half-life.exe

edit:

Get all 3. The tutorial is best with the first Hexcells and will ease you into the game.
Looks like an updated version of M$ Mines. Cool!

Though if you only get one, go for Infinite. It includes a random puzzle mode which means essentially endless gameplay.

The original Fakeybro says yes, you should Fakeybro Undertale.

the original fakeybro fakeybros every tale
Yeah but he doesn't actually play most games much if at all, let alone comment on them.

Also he pretty much stopped fakeying except AAA shit that he will play once he lost his audience to shock with his buying habits.

Also he pretty much stopped fakeying except AAA shit that he will play once he lost his audience to shock with his buying habits.
same for me. at this age of bundling, I stop buying indie games and only save my money on the AAA one.

Just bought Undertale... thanks Motoki and fakeybro :drool:

4 bucks for the bundle of Metal Slug, Metal Slug X, and Metal Slug 3 is a GREAT deal. I bought that. They also all include Steam Achievements!

I have some amazon credit and trying to decide on whether or not to go a couple of games through amazon;

-shadowrun dragonfall

-aarklash:legacy

Both seem like bundle in the near future.

If anyone like the shadowrun series by harebrained, amazon has the deluxe version of shadowrun hong kong for $9.99 (steam has regular version at 9.99)

on the gray side of the market: HRK has pillars of eternity champion edition and the expansion pass for $29.99

Two minor rants;

-divinity original sin; game was $24 prior, now on sale for almost $27. yes it is the enhanced edition now, but it also is older.  hear is hoping that by next winter more around $15

-borderlands pre-sequel; game on sale for $16 and game/season pass is $21.  Considering that there will not be more content, I had expected even lower pricing.  Again, looks like a purchase to wait until next Winter.

I think that this Winter Sale had some good points, but really disappointed in Steam's service i.e. really did not address correctly the breach and continued performance problems with their site which affects all users

-divinity original sin; game was $24 prior, now on sale for almost $27. yes it is the enhanced edition now, but it also is older. hear is hoping that by next winter more around $15
They're about as common as a unicorn sighting but if you can find a cheap boxed copy of the non-enhanced it should come with a Steam key that converts to the enhanced edition.

There's some GOG keys selling relatively cheap on eBay. Presumably those convert to enhanced to but, um, yeah. GOG. nothx.

4 bucks for the bundle of Metal Slug, Metal Slug X, and Metal Slug 3 is a GREAT deal. I bought that. They also all include Steam Achievements!

Install the games and play them for a bit. There's a 95% chance they will run like hot garbage. If they do, get a refund and spend the money on games that aren't half-assed cell phone port jobs, and go to the cesspool to trade other things for keys from the recent SNK Humble that included the set.

Please do not give DotEmu any cash for their shitports.

Two minor rants;
-divinity original sin; game was $24 prior, now on sale for almost $27. yes it is the enhanced edition now, but it also is older. hear is hoping that by next winter more around $15
It sells consistently well, they have no reason to discount it that much yet. PoE has a higher discount, but isn't much higher on the top sellers list.

bread's done
Back