Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
it's just semantics. Call it whatever you want. I'm sure most people here understand what kind of game it is. I use the term "shared-world shooter" most, because that's what this particular subset of games is to me. You're solo most of time, sometimes your in social hubs, and sometimes it links you up with other people to clear objectives. It also differentiates it from actual mmorpgs.

"loot shooter"

"mmo shooter"

"borderlands clone/derivative"

"games-as-a-service"

"annual pass bullshit"

"Open world game" LOLOL ok that's my peeve one

The term "MMO" has lost all meaning these days anyways because no one is developing mmorpg's anymore in the classic sense.

These loot shooters, CoD games, and Ubisoft-likes have bastardized all sorts of conventional RPG stat and leveling system too.

It has all become homogenized.
Borderlands looter-shooter games have actual offline modes though.

These online-only "shared-world looter-shooters" like The Division, Destiny series, and Anthem do not have an offline mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borderlands looter-shooter games have actual offline modes though.

These online-only "shared-world looter-shooters" like The Division, Destiny series, and Anthem do not have an offline mode.
we're not talking about your weird hangups and phobias here, D!

There also hasn't been a mainline Borderlands game since 2014.

I would say that Borderlands was the concrete foundation for this entire subset of games though.

we're not talking about your weird hangups and phobias here, D!

There also hasn't been a Borderlands game since 2014.

I would say that Borderlands was the concrete foundation for this entire subset of games though.
I would say Hellgate London (2007) came first and was before Borderlands (2009).

Destiny 2 Forsaken on sale again.  Tempted to pick it up but still not quite as cheap as I'd like.  I do hear it has gotten a lot better.  I wonder if I'd actually get around to playing it soon.  :whistle2:k

Destiny 2 Forsaken on sale again. Tempted to pick it up but still not quite as cheap as I'd like. I do hear it has gotten a lot better. I wonder if I'd actually get around to playing it soon. :whistle2:k
This had me go check the annual pass and it's actually on sale too. I think it may be time to jump back in. Thanks anthem!

Wife bought a Fanatical bundle. Enjoy her pain.

Layers of Fear VJ5TI-AEQ93-RX829

Homeworld Remastered ZP4BV-843NK-N0TFL

Zombie Kill of the Week Reborn PCLFY-DK3RN-X8IC7

Learn Japanese to Survive Katakana War20Y9H-L9GDF-LEJ8K

Car Mechanic Simulator HQK2B-TXJGW-AG6K6

Wick CZ5JG-ZTPRT-5GBZF

Monstrum V8C4D-3KRC3-DVI3K

Alien Spidy FT38A-9HFJM-5MTPD

Wrack QR8I0-FYYNZ-YTL7B

Wife bought a Fanatical bundle. Enjoy her pain.

Layers of Fear VJ5TI-AEQ93-RX829

Homeworld Remastered ZP4BV-843NK-N0TFL

Zombie Kill of the Week Reborn PCLFY-DK3RN-X8IC7

Learn Japanese to Survive Katakana War20Y9H-L9GDF-LEJ8K

Car Mechanic Simulator HQK2B-TXJGW-AG6K6

Wick CZ5JG-ZTPRT-5GBZF

Monstrum V8C4D-3KRC3-DVI3K

Alien Spidy FT38A-9HFJM-5MTPD

Wrack QR8I0-FYYNZ-YTL7B
I took Wick - thanks!

BioWare hasn't been BioWare for years. Slowly but surely, everybody who's really somebody and a big name at that studio, has left. Who's really left now? Casey Hudson (who at one point left and a bit later returned)? Mark Darrah?

ME3's Ending? Was it ME:A? Anthem?

I think for many, ME:A or Anthem might be that final nail in the coffin.
Casey Hudson is a joke... He wrote the ending to ME3 with one other guy and didn't run it by anyone. Its why it didn't make senses in their own world building.

ME3 Ending was the end of Bioware. The Doctors might have been still there but they cared so little they let that ending slipout and that was their final legacy in video games... You'll notice they both left and haven't returned to the industry. They where done.

I think I was one of the few who didn't have an issue with the original ME3 ending. Questions, yes...issues, no. To me, it brought a sense of inevitability, much like the Reaper cycle itself. 

RIP non-gaming related movies on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/48501/

Changes to Video Content on Steam

Announcement - Valve
Feb 19

For the past few years, we have worked on expanding Steam beyond games and software by building a video platform that supports paid and free video content. In reviewing what Steam users actually watch, it became clear we should focus our effort on offering content that is either directly related to gaming or, is accessory content for games or software sold on Steam.

As part of this refocus, we have retired the Video section of the Steam Store menu with an expectation that video content is discovered via the associated game or software store page, or through search, user tags, recommendations, etc.

Over the coming weeks a number of non-gaming videos will be retired and will no longer be available for purchase. Previously purchased content will remain available to owners.

I think I was one of the few who didn't have an issue with the original ME3 ending. Questions, yes...issues, no. To me, it brought a sense of inevitability, much the the Reaper cycle itself.
I've only ever played ME2, and wasn't that impressed with the game, so I tend to feel my opinion doesn't matter much, but I also never had much of an issue with what I know of the ending (that is, it didn't change much depending on your actions).

I know people liked to point at ME and say "look, you have all these different options to choose that change the story", but I didn't see that from my playing of ME2.

To me, the choices seemed like different paths to the same place. Sure, I could choose to be nice to this shoppkeeper or be mean to them, but in either case I got a discount. If I do something and someone dies, the story goes on. If I save this person, maybe they tell me something to help the mission, but if they died, I would've gotten the intel some other way because the story had to continue regardless.

So having an ending like that seemed like a perfect metaphor for life. Sure, you can take a lot of branching paths, but in the end they all lead to the same place.

New Metro is cracked already.  Seems fast but I don't exactly keep up with the piracy scene so maybe that is normal these days.

Casey Hudson is a joke... He wrote the ending to ME3 with one other guy and didn't run it by anyone. Its why it didn't make senses in their own world building.

ME3 Ending was the end of Bioware. The Doctors might have been still there but they cared so little they let that ending slipout and that was their final legacy in video games... You'll notice they both left and haven't returned to the industry. They where done.
Eh, I thought the reaction to the ending was overblown. Honestly I think anything they would've written there would've been a let down, and the rest of the game was pretty fantastic so it didn't bother me too much. Plus I still thought Dragon Age Inquistion was pretty decent (not as good as any of the ME games or DA:O, but it was better than DA 2...really my biggest issue with Inquistion was I think they tried to split the middle between tactical combat and more "streamlined" combat like DA 2, it wound up okay but not as good as DA:O as a result, secondly I would say the meaningless filler in the open world was annoying, but you could just ignore it if you wanted to). That said, despite liking Inquistion I think that was the hint there was a tipping point. They changed their approach to games to chase trends (big open world! tons of stuff to do! stream lined combat in a game whose roots are real time w/pause tactics!), which in retrospect almost seems like foreshadowing that a game like Anthem would be coming. And then obviously Andromeda was apparently a mess (I haven't played it yet, so can't comment). As you mentioned as well, vital people in Bioware just aren't there anymore. The combination of EA having their hands on things and staff turnover just means Bioware isn't really Bioware anymore, which is really sad. Some of my favorite games (Baldur's Gate 1/2, DA:O, ME trilogy) have come from them. With any luck at least we might get some Mass Effect or Dragon Age remasters down the road.

Also, completely off topic: Darkest Dungeon is on sale for what I think is its lowest price ever (75% off for 6.24)...I've waited years for this to drop in price/get bundled, I'm debating picking it up but you just know it'll be a Monthly headliner in teh next 2 months or something

I just thought it was weird that suddenly everybody thought Mass Effect 2 was for them.  It was a very dialogue heavy series that was all about roleplaying and interactions with the other characters, their animations, their dialogue, and the voice acting.  Most people aren't into that. 

I just thought it was weird that suddenly everybody thought Mass Effect 2 was for them. It was a very dialogue heavy series that was all about roleplaying and interactions with the other characters, their animations, their dialogue, and the voice acting. Most people aren't into that.
i disagree, i can see how it would have mainstream appeal. it had a pretty simple overarching plot (stop the baddies), pretty fun gameplay (good enough where you can not care what so ever about the plot/characters and still have fun) and light rpg mechanics in terms of leveling up. a lot of the dialogue (i would say probably most of the dialogue if you consider just walking around the ship talking to people in addition to side quest dialogue) was optional, and wasn't optional was skippable. honestly it was a pretty good blend i thought of being able to draw in more "casual" gamers with easy to grasp and appealing gameplay and mechanics while also having depth there for heavier rpg fans. you didn't need to be into the character interactions to enjoy the game

that said it's not like a bunch of CoD bros suddenly decided they were totally into mass effect all of a sudden, it probably sold/got the acclaim you would expect for a title of its kind and quality

It's an RPG.   You didn't play ME for its janky cover shooting, the controls, or its awkward equipment/loot.   It was a long-winded game that was very atmospheric and the missions often took a couple hours at a time and involved a lot of backtracking, ambiguous objectives, and copious character interaction. 

ME2 was exactly my type of game.  Mostly due to the music, concept, art direction, and atmosphere.  I just liked being in its world.  But it wasn't something that my friends got into. 

The point is that over the last ten years I've seen a lot of random internet people say some variation of "Mass Effect x isn't that great", and that's just plain weird.  Lots of people hopped on board just to shit on the ending of 3, which is how you can tell they completely missed the point. 

Mass Effect is about the immersion and the journey; it was never about the (incredibly uneven) gameplay. 

It's an RPG. You didn't play ME for its janky cover shooting, the controls, or its awkward equipment/loot. It was a long-winded game that was very atmospheric and the missions often took a couple hours at a time and involved a lot of backtracking, ambiguous objectives, and copious character interaction.

ME2 was exactly my type of game. Mostly due to the music, concept, art direction, and atmosphere. I just liked being in its world. But it wasn't something that my friends got into.

The point is that over the last ten years I've seen a lot of random internet people say some variation of "Mass Effect x isn't that great", and that's just plain weird. Lots of people hopped on board just to shit on the ending of 3, which is how you can tell they completely missed the point.

Mass Effect is about the immersion and the journey; it was never about the (incredibly uneven) gameplay.
But, but... The MAKO!!!

ME being overhyped contributed to my opinion of the game.  It happens a lot to me with books, movies, tv shows, games, etc.

I was expecting what I always wanted "Choose your own adventure" books to be, but all I got what "Choose your own adventure" books always turned out to be.

Yeah, it was overhyped in the mainstream.   Great pieces of work get overhyped all the time and that screws with expectations. 

ME2 was exactly my type of game. Mostly due to the music, concept, art direction, and atmosphere. I just liked being in its world. But it wasn't something that my friends got into.

The point is that over the last ten years I've seen a lot of random internet people say some variation of "Mass Effect x isn't that great", and that's just plain weird. Lots of people hopped on board just to shit on the ending of 3, which is how you can tell they completely missed the point.

Hey, *I'm* a random internet person and I think Mass Effect x isnt that great. (Here x=2). That is not to say that it is bad in any sense of the situation, but, playing 1st in 2018-2019, it was the least "me" game of the three. I thought the atmosphere of 1 was better and the power combos of 3 are more fun to play. I appreciate 2 for the Quarian storyline and Aria is great. I guess I just thought it felt disjointed and the switch to almost pure Gears/50 Cent Blood on the Sand gameplay was a bit of a letdown.

Maybe I'd have felt different if I didn't literally play them one day apart.

I had heard so many raves about ME2 over the years that it became pretty much my top "I'll play that game some day when I have a bunch of time to kill" game.

I played the first few hours of ME1 a couple times and liked it, but just fell off each time for whatever reason. So a year or 2 ago, I decided to skip ahead to ME2 since I knew the gameplay was different and the game was supposed to be so amazing that I had to try it.

I played for less than an hour, but didn't like anything about it. I 100% admit that I didn't really give it a chance and still kinda want to try it again, but it was weird that I disliked it so much.

EA & BioWare tried to debunk that it happened (w/ Casey and another writer shut-off the rest of the team), but I absolutely believe that is what happened. It just makes so much sense that this happened, as everything by the very end felt so rushed and lacked so much closure by the very end (of the base-game).

I loved ME3, as a game...up until the last 10-15 minutes or so. What a mess that end was.

To me, BG2: TOB and NWN1: Hordes are the perfect example of how to wrap-up a series w/ lots of characters, areas/lands/planets/worlds, and whatnot.

I have the ME3 DLC pack and have not tried those - so, at some point, I really should get to them.

I'm reading all this nonsense and just remembered I still have my ME2 collector's edition sealed. Living the real CAG way fellas.

I played for less than an hour, but didn't like anything about it. I 100% admit that I didn't really give it a chance and still kinda want to try it again, but it was weird that I disliked it so much.
I did the same for ME2 twice and didn't understand the praise it was getting from critics or the public. I finally forced myself to play it through and only after reaching the point of recruiting Garrus/Mordin did I see what everyone else was seeing. ME2 was the game that made me realize that I hate (and to not judge) games with opening 'tutorial' levels.

It's an RPG. You didn't play ME for its janky cover shooting, the controls, or its awkward equipment/loot. It was a long-winded game that was very atmospheric and the missions often took a couple hours at a time and involved a lot of backtracking, ambiguous objectives, and copious character interaction.

Here's the thing though: ME2 is also a shooter. ME series, to me, are hybrids of shooters and RPG's - but which side they lean more towards, varies per title. ME2 leaned more towards the shooter side than the original ME1. ME1 felt like it leaned more towards the RPG-side. Despite controlling like a shooter, ME1 was still (in a lense sense) trapped by its RPG elements, numbers, stats, dice-rolls, and whatnot big time - while ME2 cut-out a lot of the RPG stuff (your Inventory was gone pretty much). ME3 tried to bring back a few of the RPG trappings and whatnot from ME1 (with improving weapons w/ different types of scopes and other stuff), but not too much though (Inventories still weren't really a thing in ME3).

ME1 and ME2 both had the moral decision-making RPG stuff that we normally expect from BioWare games.

ME2 was the real game-changer, as this was a blueprint many games doing the RPG/shooter or shooter/RPG hybrid have took on. It felt a lot similar to what we played in Gears of War series (heck, ME Trilogy used the Unreal Engine) and these type of cover shooters - even though ME series still wasn't as great at the cover-shooting as those Gears titles. Before ME2, we had hybrids like Vampire: Bloodlines and Deus Ex 1 that still felt a bit janky in the combat, until you actually sank points into the right skill/stat/attributes - which a lot of the modern games don't try to do as much.

Even Fallout 3 was quite janky in the combat like that of the older breed of hybrids b/c it was still tied to a lot of the old RPG-trappings, especially when compared to Fallout 4 (FO4 rolled a lot of Perks/Stats together into one system and removed the 100 point system; and FO4 also leaned more towards the shooter side of things & less on the RPG/decision-making side). FO3 got away w/ a lot of the janky-stuff b/c people sunk points into, so they could refresh Action Points faster so they could use the hell out of VATS.

ME being overhyped contributed to my opinion of the game. It happens a lot to me with books, movies, tv shows, games, etc.

I was expecting what I always wanted "Choose your own adventure" books to be, but all I got what "Choose your own adventure" books always turned out to be.
With zero hyperbole, I can say I’ve had better roleplaying experiences with CYOA books than any Bioware game I’ve ever played.

I did the same for ME2 twice and didn't understand the praise it was getting from critics or the public. I finally forced myself to play it through and only after reaching the point of recruiting Garrus/Mordin did I see what everyone else was seeing. ME2 was the game that made me realize that I hate (and to not judge) games with opening 'tutorial' levels.
yeah, the tutorial part is boring af

the more this gets talked about the more likely it is i ignore my backlog and replay the ME trilogy again

Also, completely off topic: Darkest Dungeon is on sale for what I think is its lowest price ever (75% off for 6.24)...I've waited years for this to drop in price/get bundled, I'm debating picking it up but you just know it'll be a Monthly headliner in teh next 2 months or something
Also worth noting, I think the sale is to celebrate their announcement of the coming sequel:

https://youtu.be/JlGMsJgyORk

Cannot wait, love the first one, looking forward to what they have in store for number 2.

I thought Darkest Dungeon was mediocre at best.  Ropes you in with cool art and the voiceover work but ultimately the game is plagued with uninteresting RNG and repetitive grinding of shallow dungeons.

(No offense, Pickle~)

I thought Darkest Dungeon was mediocre at best. Ropes you in with cool art and the voiceover work but ultimately the game is plagued with uninteresting RNG and repetitive grinding of shallow dungeons.
I think that might be the most glowing review of a game I've ever read from Mooby.

I thought Darkest Dungeon was mediocre at best. Ropes you in with cool art and the voiceover work but ultimately the game is plagued with uninteresting RNG and repetitive grinding of shallow dungeons.
Eh, to each their own.

I agree on the grindy part of it, it could get very tedious baseline. Thankfully, the mod scene is fantastic and there are several mods that help alleviate the grind a bit and vary some other things.

(And none taken, Mooby )

I wanted to like it.  Even bought it early access (last game I'll ever buy early access).  The idea is sound but the execution falls flat.  Maybe the mods do improve things and add some depth, though.

I wanted to like it. Even bought it early access (last game I'll ever buy early access). The idea is sound but the execution falls flat. Maybe the mods do improve things and add some depth, though.
Sounds like a solid 8/10 to me, based off of your review
With that addendum, I’m gonna say it sounds more like an 8.5/10. Mooby’s almost convinced me not to wait on a bundle.

ME1 and ME2 both had the moral decision-making RPG stuff that we normally expect from BioWare games.
And let us never forget they also had the stupidity of the elevator scenes that went through multiple awkward silences... or worse the conversations.... especially if you forgot to do something and just wanted to quickly hop to another area because you didn't turn something in.

They had their moments. For example, I loved the Mako. And they yanked that so hard outta 2 because people cried. Then they brought it back in Andromeda and it was TERRIBLE.

For example, I loved the Mako.
Wat8.jpg

bread's done
Back