Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
you either grew up playing 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit jrpgs or you didn't.

you have to love the grind, the collecting of rare weapons and equipment, and the skill inheritance.

It's the same thing as some people thinking folks who like Rogue and Rogue-likes for hundreds of hours are super weird. We've all got different roots.
Interestingly, I dont think I ever played an 8/16/32 bit RPG before playing Persona 3. For me, it's less the grindy dungeon crawling and somewhat obscure Persona fusion/crafting and more the dating-sim and time management aspects that I like. Also, I enjoy that it has a grounded, real life setting over the high-fantasy settings more associated with JRPGs.

I suppose walking in on your Mom and MysterD could be called a 'horror movie'...
Some might call that modern art. It depends what you grew up with....

Thanks for the very positive post for that itch.io bundle. That bundle is a nightmare and a half to go through. I got like 4 or 5 pages and I was already waving the white flag. I did play some not so hot stuff and even something that was completely free. My recommendations were Cascadio, Knightmare Tower (very positive on Steam not on that reddit page), Adventures of a Radish and REKT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying grind games don't have fun, just like sometimes the grind gets pointless (cough) Destiny 2 (cough). It's just a game I never understood the high rating because I have played SMT's and other games just seemed to do it better. I'd play the crap out of a new version of Elite Beat Agents on PC though. ;)
It really depends on what you want to do. If you just make whatever demons you can access you can get through the story relatively easy. If anything the bigger issues with it were the slow pacing and the guide dang it sections for the good and true endings.

Speaking of... since my battery is dying on my ancient iPhone 5c, I guess it's time to get a new one.  Is the cheap-o SE 2020 good enough for someone who maybe watches an hour of video a day and the rest of the time just makes calls/texts?

Is everyone else's cell service not working or is it just because I'm inspecting my bunker again?
You could probably make a call on that super important looking red phone
presidential-hotline-phone.jpeg
press 0 for the operator
We all know how stable you are, so just snatch that receiver up and open the flood gate on all those words (because yours are the best).

Speaking of... since my battery is dying on my ancient iPhone 5c, I guess it's time to get a new one. Is the cheap-o SE 2020 good enough for someone who maybe watches an hour of video a day and the rest of the time just makes calls/texts?
Oh yeah, it's even overkill for that. You'll be more than fine with it.

Figured I would ask here.  Amazon has this ram on sale PNY 4GB DDR4 2666MHz Notebook Memory – (MN4GSD42666) for 14.99.  Is that a good deal? I'm not computer savvy so I don't know much about ram other than the more the better.

Speaking of... since my battery is dying on my ancient iPhone 5c, I guess it's time to get a new one. Is the cheap-o SE 2020 good enough for someone who maybe watches an hour of video a day and the rest of the time just makes calls/texts?
Speaking as someone who switched from a 5c to an 8 a couple years ago, you’d be fine. Even if you want to run demanding apps, I haven’t come across anything my 8 can’t handle yet.

That said, be prepared for the change in form factor. The 8/SE2 design is the smallest Apple sells currently, and it’s way heavier and less comfortable to use or keep in a pocket than the 5 series design was. I really hate the push for larger and larger screens in phones.

I received a brand new iPhone 8 Plus from work last month, and the on-screen keyboard is way too small. My fingers aren't necessarily huge, but I often hit the wrong buttons when trying to work with it (which also sucks because I use Apowermirror for tech demos).

Personally, I need a screen that's around 6" for accurate use. My S10 with 6.1" screen is just right and can be used with one hand. Shouldn't be a problem to get something with a larger screen, unless you have tiny Trump hands or wear skinny jeans all the time.

I received a brand new iPhone 8 Plus from work last month, and the on-screen keyboard is way too small. My fingers aren't necessarily huge, but I often hit the wrong buttons when trying to work with it (which also sucks because I use Apowermirror for tech demos).

Personally, I need a screen that's around 6" for accurate use. My S10 with 6.1" screen is just right and can be used with one hand. Shouldn't be a problem to get something with a larger screen, unless you have tiny Trump hands or wear skinny jeans all the time.
I have relatively large hands (I can palm a basketball, at least), and skinny jeans bother my skin so I can’t even wear them, but every time I climb stairs or get into a car with the 8 in my pocket, I feel like the thing’s going to snap in two, and it’s way less comfortable to use one-handed than the 5c, with which I could very comfortably reach every corner of the screen using a single thumb without stretching, and I never needed to rest it on my pinky.

Combine that with the all-plastic case of the 5c, which was stupidly durable, vs the virtually all-glass case of a lot of modern phones which practically requires at least a light case, and you’re adding even more weight and uncomfortable speaker cutouts where the thing is resting on your pinky.

Also it drags my comfy old gym shorts with saggy elastic off my butt when I put it in their pockets, I mean, come on, that’s clearly too heavy.

I’m not saying people who need phablets so their obese fingers can hit what they’re aiming at or so their weak octogenarian eyes can bring the screen into focus are wrong, I just feel like there’s also a market for smaller phones that just isn’t being tapped. Phone companies just like charging more for larger and larger screens with more and more pointless bezels and curves, so they’re not bothering to cater to that market.

I'm sure someone will say "that dumb, y u ever do that" but RIP to classic steam library.

I've been blocking updates since it was released, it finally stopped working (games don't launch and Steam freezes on initial startup).

cgUXjEe.gif

Shame to hear it, especially since they still haven't fixed many of the bugs in the new library with game info spam.

I’m not saying people who need phablets so their obese fingers can hit what they’re aiming at or so their weak octogenarian eyes can bring the screen into focus are wrong, I just feel like there’s also a market for smaller phones that just isn’t being tapped. Phone companies just like charging more for larger and larger screens with more and more pointless bezels and curves, so they’re not bothering to cater to that market.
I dunno, it's easier to be productive on the larger phones. Also easier to watch Netflix and reply to emails. There is probably a market for smaller phones in southeast Asia where the average person is Peter Dinklage-sized and newer tech isn't as accessible, but if I were to give a recommendation it would be to get an even larger phone than the one Mooby is thinking of getting.

Figured I would ask here. Amazon has this ram on sale PNY 4GB DDR4 2666MHz Notebook Memory – (MN4GSD42666) for 14.99. Is that a good deal? I'm not computer savvy so I don't know much about ram other than the more the better.
Seems to be an average deal for 4gb, not terrible but nothing amazing. Just make sure you have the open slot (sodimm) available beforehand.

I'm thinking Gog Galaxy 2.0 is out of beta.... They are giving away Witcher 3 if you own it elsewhere on PC. I saw the link to redeem within the client but nowhere on the website.

https://www.gog.com/news/own_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_on_pc_or_console_claim_a_free_copy_with_gog_galaxy_20?pp=4d89d294cd4ca9f2ca57dc24a53ffb3ef5303122
Also works if you own it elsewhere on console. Happy about this, since I happen to own it digital on PS4 but never got it on PC.

By the way, for the unscrupulous who own consoles: it seems like you could just rent a physical copy from Redbox for a night, run it on your console, and then claim on PC.

No phone relies on you having small enough fingers to make contact with only the portion of the screen you're trying to direct a tap to. They all use algorithms to take a giant finger-shaped smudge of contact and convert it into a prediction of where you must have meant the tap to go. If it's not working right now, just give it some time to learn. I'd recommend reading Creative Selection by Ken Kocienda.

I have relatively large hands (I can palm a basketball, at least), and skinny jeans bother my skin so I can’t even wear them, but every time I climb stairs or get into a car with the 8 in my pocket, I feel like the thing’s going to snap in two, and it’s way less comfortable to use one-handed than the 5c, with which I could very comfortably reach every corner of the screen using a single thumb without stretching, and I never needed to rest it on my pinky.

Combine that with the all-plastic case of the 5c, which was stupidly durable, vs the virtually all-glass case of a lot of modern phones which practically requires at least a light case, and you’re adding even more weight and uncomfortable speaker cutouts where the thing is resting on your pinky.

Also it drags my comfy old gym shorts with saggy elastic off my butt when I put it in their pockets, I mean, come on, that’s clearly too heavy.

I think the main push for larger screens is due to people watching and streaming stuff on them more often currently but not wanting to get a tablet or other device. Like blade said netflix is probably the biggest sell. And likely hulu and other stuff.

happen to own it digital on PS4
Similar situation here. The version I own on psn is GOTY while my Steam edition is base + expansions (non-goty). So I decided to download and give this a try so that I also have a goty version on pc. Redundant, I know. I just happen to really like this particular game.

Turns out this promo intended to get people to try the software is backfiring as it is currently broken for people trying to link psn accounts. Thanks GOG for making me waste 10 minutes clicking buses and traffic lights.

Also works if you own it elsewhere on console. Happy about this, since I happen to own it digital on PS4 but never got it on PC.

By the way, for the unscrupulous who own consoles: it seems like you could just rent a physical copy from Redbox for a night, run it on your console, and then claim on PC.
It actually let me claim the base game based on a earning two achievements from the Xbox 1 base version on Game Pass. Now, I would feel bad about potentially scamming the system, but I bought all the DLC, and also have the GOTY version on a disc I never started.

This will probably be my last batch of itchy games since the bundle has ended and it's not as though you'll be buying these for MSRP.  Unless I decide to post them to my CAG blog.  Add some screenshots.  Hrmmm... :whistle2:k

Akuto: Mad World:I don't know what Akuto is like on other worlds, but on his one he (is Akuto is name? I dunno) runs around each level made up of connecting squares.  Enter a square, get locked in, kill the stuff with your sword, go to the next square until you each the gate then do it all again.  Three-quarter view graphics are fairly minimalist but not unattractive and they get the job done.  Game play didn't feel as sharp or fun as I'd have liked; if I'm going to run around with a big sword, I should feel like I'm snicker-snacking enemies in two and this just didn't give me that.

You Used to Be Someone:Depression simulator.  I wouldn't even say 2deep4u because it really wasn't deep at all -- you just wander around and mope.  Start in your apartment, clicking items and thinking about how much they suck then go outside and down the street so you can think about how that stuff sucks.  Enter restaurants and clubs and be stricken with heavy ennui about how that stuff sucks.  Sort of a cut-paper aesthetic that didn't really work for me.  If you want to play a game about mental health issues (and who doesn't), stick with the previously reviewed Us Lovely Corpses.

Celestial Hacker Girl Jessica: Sounds like it should be a Visual Novel or maybe JRPG but it's actually a puzzle solver where you're a bright pink marble (named Jessica?) and roll around levels in outer space trying to find cake.  The levels were fun and not overly difficult and peppered with surreal space dinosaurs and space whales and giant gargoyles made of pink bouncy material.  Graphics were a bunch of Unity assets but they looked good and it looked fun and I enjoyed it.  Best of this bunch.

Virtua Blind:Does what it says on the tin.  You stare at some blinds and watch the sun go up and down.  You can speed time.  You can turn on the music.  You can slow time.  You can turn off the music.  Somewhat more entertaining than You Used to Be Someone.

Festival.  Not necessarily sale.  Festival.

In other news, Metro Exodus is leaving Game Pass in a couple weeks.   I guess I'll try it since it's already installed.

This is just a bunch of demos for upcoming Indie games that will be available for a limited time. The Summer Sale is supposedly running from June 25th to July 9th.

45bv8p.jpg

Also, any TV bros here?  My old set (50'' 1080p) is on it's last leg so I'm looking to replace it.  Anything will be an upgrade because it's going to be 4K and at least 55'' but was wondering if I should go for a nicer 55'' (Quantum LED) or just a bigger overall TV that's not as nice (like 65'').  Any input would be appreciated.  I don't game on the TV if that matters.

Also, any TV bros here? My old set (50'' 1080p) is on it's last leg so I'm looking to replace it. Anything will be an upgrade because it's going to be 4K and at least 55'' but was wondering if I should go for a nicer 55'' (Quantum LED) or just a bigger overall TV that's not as nice (like 65''). Any input would be appreciated. I don't game on the TV if that matters.
I could tell you a lot about TVs. But price range is the determining factor. Assuming you're on a budget the best tv you can get for your money and also have a nice performance increase are the 6-series TCLs. They will give you a nice 4K picture, good HDR, they have excellent input lag for gaming latency, and are great for apps and streaming (it's a Roku). It's the mostly highly recommended budget 4K television. Meaning it also has drawbacks such as some motion issues and quality control (because they are made in China and super affordable).

If you can afford up to $1000 then you should get a Sony 950G. You will get excellent colors, contrast, high brightness, and sweet HDR performance with this LCD set. Movies and games look phenomenal and Sony has some of the best video processing on the market.

If you're going high-end then you get a LG C9 / CX OLED. But I doubt that's what you're asking.

The cheap and moderately priced Samsungs and Vizios are not worth it at all. If you're not going to get something at least as good as the TCL 6-series then don't bother. Buy whatever cheapy black friday TV that you want. You get what you pay for with televisions. A couple of my friends use super cheap TCL 4 and 5-series on their porches and they work well as value sets. If you just need a cheap replacement then that is the way to go.

Personally, I recommend getting a high mid-range Sony LCD set for most people ready to make the jump to something truly nice. 900F, 950G, 950H, etc. The newest 900H will also be HDMI 2.1 compliant and have 120hz VRR as well as G-sync compatible if you were going to use it as a PC gaming monitor. (at the cost of significantly lower brightness). That's why most high-end gamers are going with the LG C-series OLEDs these days. (one of the only VRR + adaptive sync compatible, and OLED). It's also much cheaper than every ludicrously-priced high-end 4K gaming monitor.

I could tell you a lot about TVs. But price range is the determining factor. Assuming you're on a budget the best tv you can get for your money and also have a nice performance increase are the 6-series TCLs. They will give you a nice 4K picture, good HDR, they have excellent input lag for gaming latency, and are great for apps and streaming (it's a Roku). It's the mostly highly recommended budget 4K television. Meaning it also has drawbacks such as some motion issues and quality control (because they are made in China and super affordable).

If you can afford up to $1000 then you should get a Sony 950G. You will get excellent colors, contrast, high brightness, and sweet HDR performance with this LCD set. Movies and games look phenomenal and Sony has some of the best video processing on the market.

If you're going high-end then you get a LG C9 / CX OLED. But I doubt that's what you're asking.

The cheap and moderately priced Samsungs and Vizios are not worth it at all. If you're not going to get something at least as good as the TCL 6-series then don't bother. Buy whatever cheapy black friday TV that you want. You get what you pay for with televisions. A couple of my friends use super cheap TCL 4 and 5-series on their porches and they work well as value sets. If you just need a cheap replacement then that is the way to go.

Personally, I recommend getting a high mid-range Sony LCD set for most people ready to make the jump to something decent.
Yeah, I was looking budget - mostly the TCL 5 or 6 series. Contemplating if the jump to Quantum is worth the extra $100 - $200 right now for the future. Also looking at the Hisense TVs as their Quantum TVs rate very well comparatively with the TCL 5 and 6 series. Vizio also has the M series Quantum that rates well. Just wondering if I'll notice a bigger difference if I get a bigger TV or a nicer screen. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I was looking budget - mostly the TCL 5 or 6 series. Contemplating if the jump to Quantum is worth the extra $100 - $200 right now for the future. Also looking at the Hisense TVs as their Quantum TVs rate very well comparatively with the TCL 5 and 6 series. Vizio also has the M series Quantum that rates well. Just wondering if I'll notice a bigger difference if I get a bigger TV or a nicer screen. Thanks for the input.
best value is in the 55" realm. Yeah I'd check out the reviews on the Hisenses on rtings.com for sure. Hisense and TCL are prolly your best bet. I'd stay away from all but the top-of-the-line Vizio (P-series Quantum X). People report all sorts of color banding, weird motion-handling issues, and stuttering on Vizio sets that you often don't read in reviews. Owner satisfaction is low.

Keep in mind that you're not getting the benefit of HDR with anything form the TCL 5-series and below. Their brightness simply isn't high enough at < 300nits. (for instance the 6-series achieves 1000nits brightness, which is why its considered the good go-to entry level 4K HDR set).

If you're new to 4K then good HDR and brightness are the most important determining factors in picture quality (on an LCD set). Which is why I say that anything below a 6-series doesn't really matter. Might as well pick up a TCL 4-series for $229 or 299 (43" vs 55") and call it a day. The other stuff you can buy in-between that range is not really worth it.

I was trying to watch local Wal-Marts for the clearance on TVs but I just don't have the luck to catch them in time or the free time to check on them constantly.  Literally every store in my area had multiples of several models/sizes one night, they marked them down like 65% or something crazy and were all gone everywhere the next evening.  Oh well. 

I wish the smaller TV selection was better.  I keep trying to catch a good deal (clearance or otherwise) on something like a high end OLED for the living room but I have no idea what to replace the TV in my bedroom with.  It is a 43 inch LG 1080p that I have had for a long time now, it was about $700 when I bought it and I have yet to see a TV in that size range I would replace it with.  I really don't have room/need a 55 inch TV in my room but I guess I'll probably end up going that route eventually.  On the upside, as long as I don't replace my TV I will not be tempted to buy a PS5 either.

I've been doing a little research on TVs and was leaning heavily towards a TCL 6-series but decided to wait until they release the 2020 model year TVs.  All of the articles I've seen have suggested that the 2020 5-series will have 6-series specs and that the 2020 6-series will have some elements from the current 8-series.  I'm not in a rush to replace - my current TV works just fine, it's just old and doesn't have any built in streaming options - so I can wait however long it takes for the current model year TVs to release.

best value is in the 55" realm. Yeah I'd check out the reviews on the Hisenses on rtings.com for sure. Hisense and TCL are prolly your best bet. I'd stay away from all but the top-of-the-line Vizio (P-series Quantum X). People report all sorts of color banding, weird motion-handling issues, and stuttering on Vizio sets that you often don't read in reviews. Owner satisfaction is low.

Keep in mind that you're not getting the benefit of HDR with anything form the TCL 5-series and below. Their brightness simply isn't high enough at < 300nits. (for instance the 6-series achieves 1000nits brightness, which is why its considered the good go-to entry level 4K HDR set).

If you're new to 4K then good HDR and brightness are the most important determining factors in picture quality (on an LCD set). Which is why I say that anything below a 6-series doesn't really matter. Might as well pick up a TCL 4-series for $229 or 299 (43" vs 55") and call it a day. The other stuff you can buy in-between that range is not really worth it.
Yeah, that's why I was looking at the Hisense QLED. They have all those features and I think 700 nit brightness and are a little cheaper than the TCL and dropping in price. Rtings rates them well too.

I was trying to watch local Wal-Marts for the clearance on TVs but I just don't have the luck to catch them in time or the free time to check on them constantly. Literally every store in my area had multiples of several models/sizes one night, they marked them down like 65% or something crazy and were all gone everywhere the next evening. Oh well.

I wish the smaller TV selection was better. I keep trying to catch a good deal (clearance or otherwise) on something like a high end OLED for the living room but I have no idea what to replace the TV in my bedroom with. It is a 43 inch LG 1080p that I have had for a long time now, it was about $700 when I bought it and I have yet to see a TV in that size range I would replace it with. I really don't have room/need a 55 inch TV in my room but I guess I'll probably end up going that route eventually. On the upside, as long as I don't replace my TV I will not be tempted to buy a PS5 either.
Walmart clearance is a wild goose chase and not worth it, from my experience. For your 43'' you should look into the QLED. There's a few in the $500 price range. QLED is not OLED, but the closest to it.

I've been doing a little research on TVs and was leaning heavily towards a TCL 6-series but decided to wait until they release the 2020 model year TVs. All of the articles I've seen have suggested that the 2020 5-series will have 6-series specs and that the 2020 6-series will have some elements from the current 8-series. I'm not in a rush to replace - my current TV works just fine, it's just old and doesn't have any built in streaming options - so I can wait however long it takes for the current model year TVs to release.
When do the 2020 models come out?

My current TV has a dying backlight so I have to turn down the brightness otherwise it does a constant dimming every 5-10 seconds. It's watchable but on the way out.

The Hisense H8G seems pretty decent.  But again at that $500 price point I'd prolly get the TCL 6-series instead for the Roku OS and higher brightness.  I'm not seeing much value in the rest of Hisense's sets. 

"ULED" and "QLED" is meaningless marketing jargon though.  They are all LCD sets.  It's just an attempt to try to brand something different about their manufacturing process and try to make it sound special.  There is no inherently higher quality just bc something uses Quantum Dot technology.  It's just a different kind of panel.  Other manufacturers use similar processes or branding like Sony's "Triluminos" display.  Most companies incorporate it in one process or another. 

The Hisense H8G seems pretty decent. But again at that $500 price point I'd prolly get the TCL 6-series instead for the Roku OS and higher brightness. I'm not seeing much value in the rest of Hisense's sets.

"ULED" and "QLED" is meaningless marketing jargon though. They are all LCD sets. It's just an attempt to try to brand something different about their manufacturing process and try to make it sound special. There is no inherently higher quality just bc something uses Quantum Dot technology. It's just a different kind of panel. Other manufacturers use similar processes or branding like Sony's "Triluminos" display. Most companies incorporate it in one process or another.
I don't know, I've read a lot of articles about QLED and the general consensus is they reproduce color better and more vibrantly than other LED panels and are worth the upgrade. Some articles even say they give OLED sets a run for their money in the color department and Samsung is trying to integrate QLED technology into OLED screens, so that's the only reason I'd actually be willing to pay up a little for that.

I've been doing a little research on TVs and was leaning heavily towards a TCL 6-series but decided to wait until they release the 2020 model year TVs. All of the articles I've seen have suggested that the 2020 5-series will have 6-series specs and that the 2020 6-series will have some elements from the current 8-series. I'm not in a rush to replace - my current TV works just fine, it's just old and doesn't have any built in streaming options - so I can wait however long it takes for the current model year TVs to release.
Highly recommend TCL if your price range is mid-range. I have a 55" & 65" (2018) and they are great. Before that I had 55" (2017) that I gave to my mom and stepdad which is still going strong.

This talk got me curious about my bedroom TV.  Apparently it is a LG LD520.  120hz and 42" not 43" like I thought it was.   I found the ancient email from when I bought it still archived and I was wrong about the price too, not sure why I remembered paying over $700 for the thing, I paid $549 and it said it was on sale from $899 so maybe I got it on clearance or something?  I dunno it was 2010 though.  At least I know how old it is now, I was trying to remember how long I have had it.  Not that any of this information is remotely useful to me or to you but I'm sharing anyway.

I doubt it's actually 120hz, vs. 120hz processing.  It could be if it was 3D.

My 5 Series TCL is about the same as my intro Samsung.  Both great for hooking up a pc or laptop to game from.

Damn, there's over 900 demos as part of the Steam Game Festival. I looked through most of the ones I could see on the Steam page for it, but it obviously wasn't a comprehensive list. Didn't really see anything that caught my eye besides Wingspan and the demos I had already grabbed from the weekend though.

Ill throw my hat the tv ring. So a month ago I wanted to replace my old 1080p 40in office tv and do a proper mounting with a nice new 4k one. Since it was also the office tv I didnt see a need to spend an extravagant amount so that threw me into the realm of the upper budget tvs.

I landed on the 55in tcl 6 series, 55r625.  I went back and forth between that and the cheaper hisense, from what I could tell the TCL had bit better all around specs but the hisense was ~150$ cheaper. I actually leaned towards the hisense because I prefer android tv and its ability to load whatever you want over the roku interface of only a certain selection of apps all of which may disappear at any time (like the twitch one which is gone). 

In the end I went TCL though because the mounting pattern on all the hisense tvs is somewhat non-standard (300x200) and so you need a specific mount that can do odd configurations like that and I already owned a tv mount to use.  Plus the picture quality was a bit better on the TCL and figured I could just keep using my firestick4k for android stuffs. Also the input lag being lower on the TCL is a plus since I can use the pc on one of the other inputs.

So far Ive definitely been pleased with it, great picture quality and improved sound (my old panasonic tv had horrible sound).  I mostly avoid the interface anyway since I just use a cable box and the firestick4k and that has my needs covered

bread's done
Back