Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Time for me to play the original Kingdoms of Amalur for maybe an hour to at least try it to see when I run and get the remaster when it is like 3 dollars or after being bundled. I only have it on Origin though so no discount there.
I was surprised at how good it looked maxed out on my PC when I booted it up a few weeks ago. Bought it years ago and never played it ... but it’s basically single player WOW. Actually not half bad, I might keep playing it.

Any of you guys have recommendations on good, cheap wireless gaming mice?  They don't even have to be specifically for gaming, just something that will withstand a billion clicks.  I need it to have adjustable DPI and buttons on the side for my push to talk.  Tried a cheap one on Amazon (Victsing) and it was defective from the jump with phantom shooting and reloading.  Also need it to be relatively small (around 4 inches) just due to desk space.  I bet you can't find one for me! 

All the talk about video cards got me curious so I dog through newegg invoices to see what I paid.

11/23/2015 I paid 289.99 for a 970x. Which replaced a Radeon 5850 or something like that. I would have to get access via an older email (got access to it) to know the exact specs. Pretty sure it was a 2 GB card.  (Nope, it was a 1GB card, and it was 298.99 on 5/30/2010)

Last edited by a moderator:
All the talk about video cards got me curious so I dog through newegg invoices to see what I paid.

11/23/2015 I paid 289.99 for a 970x. Which replaced a Radeon 5850 or something like that. I would have to get access via an older email to know the exact specs. Pretty sure it was a 2 GB card.

11/23/2015 I paid 289.99 for a 970x. Which replaced a Radeon 5850 or something like that. I would have to get access via an older email (got access to it) to know the exact specs. Pretty sure it was a 2 GB card. (Nope, it was a 1GB card, and it was 298.99 on 5/30/2010)
But 2015 was like 20 years ago, bro. Makes complete sense for inflation to drive the price of the --70 series by $200. Simple math!

But 2015 was like 20 years ago, bro. Makes complete sense for inflation to drive the price of the --70 series by $200. Simple math!
Model #s are neither here nor there. It's just a naming designation. It doesn't mean anything. For instance they are calling the new card the 3090 instead of the Titan and bc of that Nvidia is going to sell a ton more to basic bros everywhere that now consider it part of the regular gaming lineup.

Nvidia could call it the 3080 the RTX Goat'asdf'er for all I care. What matters are the gains that you get gen over gen, the performance you get per dollar spent, and the additional capabilities you receive.

You have no idea what you're talking about anyways.

If you have a $250 GPU budget then buy whatever $250 GPU is on the shelves this winter/spring when all the budget stuff comes out.  Which will be much better than whatever $250 GPU from 2016 you're currently using.

Model #s are neither here nor there. It's just a naming designation. It doesn't mean anything. For instance they are calling the new card the 3090 instead of the Titan and bc of that Nvidia is going to sell a ton more to basic bros everywhere that now consider it part of the regular gaming lineup.

Nvidia could call it the 3080 the RTX Goat'asdf'er for all I care. What matters are the gains that you get gen over gen, the performance you get per dollar spent, and the additional capabilities you receive.

You're ignoring the fact that technology always depreciates in price/value every year that passes.

If you have a $250 GPU budget then buy whatever $250 GPU is on the shelves this winter/spring when all the budget stuff comes out. Which will be much better than whatever $250 GPU from 2016 you're currently using.
Exactly. Not to mention that prices on the GTX 1000 and RTX 2000 series have absolutely plummeted on the secondary market. Which is also great for everyone.

Some people have been buying used 2080 Ti's for as little as $450. (They were selling for ~1200 bucks last week.)

There are value increases and upgrades for everyone.

You're ignoring the fact that technology always depreciates in price/value every year that passes.
You're projecting again here, Mooby. I'm not the one ignoring the depreciating value of current tech.

Continuing a chain of actually playing games, I just finished both Spiritfarer and Carrion on Gamepass. 
Food for the soul and food for um, an amorphous ball of tentacles and teeth. 

Spiritfarer was nice and relaxed, but you really need to start using the fast transit early and often.  I'm sure some people stuck around in the game longer to finish every little sidequest and fetch-quest (The game is just one long fetch quest), but by the time I'd returned the last group of people to the afterlife, I was done with the game.  It's fun and charming, but there's so much tedium that just doesn't need to be there.  If they didn't add timers or manual actions to basically every crafting action, I probably would have stuck around for the clean up and completed the quests. 

Carrion was breezy, short and used a diverse set of abilities in fun ways.  Since you can breeze through it doesn't do anything frustrating that makes it overstay it's welcome.    I'm sure if I actually paid $20 for it (price on Steam and other storefronts), I'd not be as forgiving about the short length, but when looking at the game itself, it really is only about as long as it needs to be. 

Now to go add last month's Humble monthly to steam, even though most of those are looking like they may stay +1s of a while. 

So, where were the x50 level cards from Nvidia last gen? Oh, they were named the 1660, 1660 Super (6 months after the other two), and 1660ti. For $230-279+. Well, you could buy a 1650 for $150 like in previous generations x50 level cards except it didn't even include the new gpu generation encoder. That took 6 months and a new model, the 1650 Super. Both of the 1650 cards were beaten by 2-3 year old cards from Nvidia itself and AMD.

Been playing Wasteland 3 since I've only been waiting a hundred years since I funded it.  It's good and I'm enjoying it.  If you're even vaguely familiar with Wasteland or Fallout 1/2 or other isometric RPGs, then you're going to get what you expected to get.

Two points of contention: First, the loading speeds for saved games or between maps is ridiculously glacial considering that it's coming off an SSD and it's 2020.  I shouldn't feel like I'm back in front of my Commodore when I move into a new region.

Secondly, and this is a familiar RPG issue, you get enough companions early on to fill out your group and then meet other potential companions later.  Except that the people you meet are six levels below you with crap gear and you've already arranged your current companions how you like and developed a rhythm for using them in battle.  And Wasteland 3 is a game that rewards specialization -- a character with Mechanics: 9 and a character with Lockpicking: 10 are worth much more than two characters with a six in each.  So asking you to trade out someone that you've laboriously gotten to high skill levels (costs ramp up as you level) just so you can get a new face and new dialogue lines is a bit much of a lift.  I've come across a couple people I could have join but I just can't justify it.

Last game I remember that handled this well was Operencia, which just kept everyone nearly the same level even if they weren't in your group so slotting them in and out had no hard opportunity cost.

So, where were the x50 level cards from Nvidia last gen? Oh, they were named the 1660, 1660 Super (6 months after the other two), and 1660ti. For $230-279+. Well, you could buy a 1650 for $150 like in previous generations x50 level cards except it didn't even include the new gpu generation encoder. That took 6 months and a new model, the 1650 Super. Both of the 1650 cards were beaten by 2-3 year old cards from Nvidia itself and AMD.
Yes, Nvidia has been a poor value for awhile. That's why I bought a used GTX 1080 for $300 in Oct '18. It's been a great card and one of the best gpu purchases I've ever made.

You're not going to find much of anything on the low end from Nvidia. That's been established for the last several years since the mining craze in 2016. At the same time, any of the 1660s / Ti / Super have been perfectly serviceable for high settings at 1080p. There are still options for video cards to buy at nearly every price point. The last two years has been bad from them for sure. But this week certainly isn't the time for those complaints as everything just got cheaper.

If you want some brand new, world-beating card from Nvidia for $250 well that simply isn't going to happen. But the 3060 should be coming in at somewhere ~$299-350 in a couple months. Right now Nvidia wants to make money by selling everyone 3080's first. Plus AMD is launching another whole lineup in Nov./Dec. They are almost certainly going to be excellent value on the low-end and in the mid-range. They have to be, bc Nvidia just about all but eliminated them from being able to compete on the high-end. They're very likely not going to have the hardware to compete with RTX and DLSS. For pure rasterization increases AMD is going to have some awesome cards in just a couple months. They are already teasing the 6000 series cards in-game in Fortnite.

So AMD should have some offerings that will be great for a whole different subsection of people. Just like the 5700 and the 5700 XT were last year. Alternative solutions for people in the $350 and $400 range. And if you don't like that then you can buy a value card or someone's used card for even cheaper. Yes, the low end of PC performance graphics has all but evaporated. But then again, if you're playing at 1080p then it doesn't really matter what you have. I've never felt held back by what I'm currently using. At the same time, I want to do more and there are several games I've been holding off on playing while waiting for raytracing. I've waited patiently two years and now its finally time. It's going to start hitting its stride, and I can't wait to play Cyberpunk with high frames at 1440p and RTX on.

But Nvidia absolutely killed it with their reveal this week. They came to compete this year and word is that they were relatively worried about the new consoles launching in November. So they are offering very attractive packages with the 3070 and the 3080 having the biggest power increases that we've seen in a lonnng time, possibly ever. They are legit 4K60 cards in new AAA titles and raytracing performance has nearly doubled since last cycle. Meaning that I could be able to get a full 60 frames (or more) at 1440p with Raytracing effects turned on in all the big games like Control, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk, Battlefield, Metro Exodus, Doom Eternal, and Watch Dogs Legion (free w/purchase). I'd be able to get up to 165 frames with RTX off. Early videos from Digital Foundry, GamersNexus. and Linus are showing an average of 70-90% performance gains across the board in the RTX 3080 over the 2080. You are getting an 80% frame rate increase in Doom Eternal. The RTX 3070 is better than the $1200+ previous gen 2080 Ti flagship and they're only $499 by comparison. Also they have much improved RTX and DLSS performance with the increased tensor cores and the RTX cores. It's the most exciting PC gaming tech related news of 2020 and all people want to seem to do here is complain about it, and deflect with cynical joking. It's pretty sad. If a person doesn't want to buy anything new, or doesn't care, then great, their life hasn't changed one bit. Plenty of other people are swooping in on secondhand 2070 Supers and 2080s for $200-300 with all the panic selling. Those are going to go back up in price again next week.

JH5dtE0.jpg

But the 3060 should be coming in at somewhere ~$299-350 in a couple months.
This is the funny thing to me. You admit the problem, it's buried right there in your kotaku essay.

Let me try to put this in simpler terms so you might understand:. We don't care about the 3070 or 3080. We don't care what you waste your money on. You don't have to write essays justifying your purchase.

Our issue is with how the pricing for those cards has shifted the entire market. You seem to justify it by saying it's a good value relative to what you would have paid two years ago for the same performance. PCG was similar amazed by this and went as far as calling the 3070 "genuinely affordable," which is not true and completely tone deaf given the circumstances right now. I'm honestly perplexed at how anyone is amazed by this or thinks this is any sort of game changer. That's how tech works. Two year old tech is usually significantly cheaper than brand new tech.

But that's beside the point, the 2080ti was a shiny toy you couldn't afford two years ago and now you can, good for you. People complaining about it are upset at the fact that people like you say "Oh, you'll be able to get a 60 series card for $300."

That's insane to us. We're budget builders. $300 used to be like 60% of our entire budget. Now we're being told that's just one component.

To put things in perspective, my first "nice" graphics card was a GTX 460 that I paid $140 for in 2011. How much were 480s back then? $499. So, the high end market hasn't really been affected the same way. You said it, you can buy essentially a 2080ti for those same $499 that the 480 cost 10 years ago. That's great. Seriously. But we can't get 3060s or even 2060s without paying more than double what we used to pay. If you can't understand that then your just an asshole or an Nvidia fanboy, but most likely both.

This is the funny thing to me. You admit the problem, it's buried right there in your kotaku essay.

Let me try to put this in simpler terms so you might understand:. We don't care about the 3070 or 3080. We don't care what you waste your money on. You don't have to write essays justifying your purchase.

Our issue is with how the pricing for those cards has shifted the entire market. You seem to justify it by saying it's a good value relative to what you would have paid two years ago for the same performance. PCG was similar amazed by this and went as far as calling the 3070 "genuinely affordable," which is not true and completely tone deaf given the circumstances right now. I'm honestly perplexed at how anyone is amazed by this or thinks this is any sort of game changer. That's how tech works. Two year old tech is usually significantly cheaper than brand new tech.

But that's beside the point, the 2080ti was a shiny toy you couldn't afford two years ago and now you can, good for you. People complaining about it are upset at the fact that people like you say "Oh, you'll be able to get a 60 series card for $300."

That's insane to us. We're budget builders. $300 used to be like 60% of our entire budget. Now we're being told that's just one component.

To put things in perspective, my first "nice" graphics card was a GTX 460 that I paid $140 for in 2011. How much were 480s back then? $499. So, the high end market hasn't really been affected the same way. You said it, you can buy essentially a 2080ti for those same $499 that the 480 cost 10 years ago. That's great. Seriously. But we can't get 3060s or even 2060s without paying more than double what we used to pay. If you can't understand that then your just an asshole or an Nvidia fanboy, but most likely both.
You aren't worth even an ounce of consideration or respect, as evidenced by this abomination of a reply. I wasn't even talking to you. I was giving a thoughtful, detailed response to someone who matters, in Tibor. And what is this "we"? Ain't nobody care about your opinions or your whining over PC part prices either. Boy oh boy do you overestimate your own value and forum presence.

I mean my god. We wouldn't want the biggest PC gaming enthusiast and technology announcements of 2020 to interfere with your little this week's circle jerk of apathy and frugality now would we? You're obviously feeling a little insecure that you had to ramp up tuesday's tryhard trolling to this level because you weren't getting enough attention. No matter.

Blocking you now. Not even a morsel of worthwhile information will be missed which is the truly pathetic part.

This level of off-topicness is unacceptable, I'm reporting both of you to PlayFire. I'm genuinely sorry it's come to this.

Now, back to Steam thread business as usual.

giphy.gif

Just picked up sin gold and sin episodes from steam for $2.49 each. According to isthereanydeal they are not on sale much. Looks like the sale ends today.

Secondly, and this is a familiar RPG issue, you get enough companions early on to fill out your group and then meet other potential companions later. Except that the people you meet are six levels below you with crap gear and you've already arranged your current companions how you like and developed a rhythm for using them in battle. And Wasteland 3 is a game that rewards specialization -- a character with Mechanics: 9 and a character with Lockpicking: 10 are worth much more than two characters with a six in each. So asking you to trade out someone that you've laboriously gotten to high skill levels (costs ramp up as you level) just so you can get a new face and new dialogue lines is a bit much of a lift. I've come across a couple people I could have join but I just can't justify it.
I hadn't gotten deeply enough into it for this to be a problem yet, but this is really weird. Most modern RPGs solve this problem by levelling your new companions to at least within a level of your PC whenever you find them, and there seems to be no reason I can conceive that inXile wouldn't take the same approach (the gear issue is a little harder to handle, but only if the companions don't have specialized gear that levels up with them).

I hadn't gotten deeply enough into it for this to be a problem yet, but this is really weird. Most modern RPGs solve this problem by levelling your new companions to at least within a level of your PC whenever you find them, and there seems to be no reason I can conceive that inXile wouldn't take the same approach (the gear issue is a little harder to handle, but only if the companions don't have specialized gear that levels up with them).
It's possible that their "true" level is close to yours. But their actual skill levels are pretty weak. As I said, specialization is king and you'll come across someone who wants to join and they have three skills in the 5-6 range while you're going to have to lose someone with with an 8-10 skill to sign them on. Plus, whatever skills they DO have, you likely have someone at least as good if not better.

So maybe, if you're level 16, they'll also be close to 16 but their skill distribution is just bad over those 16 levels and it still feels like a burden to take them on.

Companions do come with a specialized weapon (i.e. "Property of XYZ" and no one else can use it). I don't know if that levels with them prior to meeting them; once they're in your party it becomes obsolete like anything else. In the beginning, that gives them an edge since it's a pretty nice weapon for low skills but, once you get further in, getting decent weapons isn't all that hard so it's not really a "get" to sign someone on with a Melee Skill: 5 weapon.

I'm sure someone is going to blame me for all the fighting in this thread! It's always TrumpCat's fault they say! TrumpCat is fanning the flames of hate!

Obviously this is all ObamaDog and BidenCat's fault! Vote for me unless you want to see 4 more years of people arguing about video card prices!!! ONLY I CAN END THIS FIGHTING AND GET US ALL BACK TO TALKING ABOUT PIZZA!!! 

and shoes! Remember shoes? People don't talk about shoes any more. Once this glorious thread was filled with tremendous shoe related discussion. MAKE SHOE TALK GREAT AGAIN!!!

You aren't worth even an ounce of consideration or respect, as evidenced by this abomination of a reply. I wasn't even talking to you. I was giving a thoughtful, detailed response to someone who matters, in Tibor. And what is this "we"? Ain't nobody care about your opinions or your whining over PC part prices either. Boy oh boy do you overestimate your own value and forum presence.

I mean my god. We wouldn't want the biggest PC gaming enthusiast and technology announcements of 2020 to interfere with your little this week's circle jerk of apathy and frugality now would we? You're obviously feeling a little insecure that you had to ramp up tuesday's tryhard trolling to this level because you weren't getting enough attention. No matter.

Blocking you now. Not even a morsel of worthwhile information will be missed which is the truly pathetic part.
I know you can't read this because I'm blocked, but this made me genuinely laugh out loud. Needed that. Thanks.

3 paragraphs insulting me and telling me I'm not worth a response. Not one word addressing the valid pricing concern I articulated.

I'm gonna be honest. No one cares what you or anyone else think about the gpu pricing. This isn't the place to voice your feelings. Arguing here won't accomplish anything. We come here for pizza pics and deals.

I'm gonna be honest. No one cares what you or anyone else think about the gpu pricing. This isn't the place to voice your feelings. Arguing here won't accomplish anything. We come here for pizza pics and deals.
I'm down for pizza and deals, but I'm all for hearing opinions on stuff like GPU pricing too. Otherwise, this wouldn't really be a discussion thread. When I don't care about a particular topic, I roll my mouse wheel just a little bit and it goes away.

and shoes! Remember shoes? People don't talk about shoes any more. Once this glorious thread was filled with tremendous shoe related discussion. MAKE SHOE TALK GREAT AGAIN!!!
For example, shoe talk. Would totally scroll past that. More burger talk, yes.

Buy AMD if you want a budget card. You go AMD to save money at the low-mid range, you go Nvidia to get the mid-high range. Nvidia's budget stuff is a joke and AMD's "high" end is a joke. It doesn't make sense any longer to complain that Nvidia isn't offering amazing budget cards because that's just not who they market to these days (nor have they for a while now). You're shopping in the wrong aisle if you only want to spend $150 on a graphics card.

At this point, I think the only reason Nvidia makes low end cards is (a) they're expected to have a full line, (b) some people just look for the Nvidia label out of not knowing better* and (c:) they probably have agreements to sell them to system builders along with their higher end cards. Might as well toss some into retail boxes.

*I don't think "fan boys" applies here since "fan boys" aren't the ones trying to buy exciting new video cards for a buck and a half.

Buy AMD if you want a budget card. You go AMD to save money at the low-mid range, you go Nvidia to get the mid-high range. Nvidia's budget stuff is a joke and AMD's "high" end is a joke. It doesn't make sense any longer to complain that Nvidia isn't offering amazing budget cards because that's just not who they market to these days (nor have they for a while now). You're shopping in the wrong aisle if you only want to spend $150 on a graphics card.

At this point, I think the only reason Nvidia makes low end cards is (a) they're expected to have a full line, (b) some people just look for the Nvidia label out of not knowing better* and (c:) they probably have agreements to sell them to system builders along with their higher end cards. Might as well toss some into retail boxes.

*I don't think "fan boys" applies here since "fan boys" aren't the ones trying to buy exciting new video cards for a buck and a half.

I'd say this is missing the point, but since you matter on this forum (I've got you ranked number 3 on my list of people who matter on this board) I'll leave it at that.

Kids playing Fortnite and League of Legends type games say otherwise. The top end cards sell the rest of the line.

This right here. I'm a budget gamer. WTF else would I be on CAG? Yeah I play on every platform but I want my gaming dollar to stretch as far as it can. I'm not a PC Master Race gamer throwing thousands of dollars at my rig every year. And GPU's are now the major the sticking point when it comes to budget gaming. Literally every other component can be had at budget pricing (Ryzen CPU's, affordable M2's and SSD's, RAM, etc) but what's the champ budget GPU today? It's still the RX580!! 4 year old tech!

We budget gamers used to get several years from our ~$200 GPU's, and every few years a new budget king in that price range would release, letting us double our frame rates at the same resolution or allow us to play with bells and whistles on or higher resolution at acceptable frame rates. I have owned 3 cards in the last 12 years. The Radeon 4850 (released in 2008 at $199, I paid $149 a few months after release), then the 6850 1GB (launched in 2010 for $179, bought mine in 2011 for $150), and the RX480 (released in 2016 at $199, paid $179 a few weeks after release). All of these cards were solid budget performers and decent overclockers. But since the RX480/580 and the cryptomining craze, we haven't seen a single solid budget GPU that launches in the $199 and below range and doubles the previous budget card's performance. I mean even today, a 1660Ti for $270+ only yields about a 25% boost over an RX 480/580, and the 5600 xt also at $270+ is about 30% more. To double frame rates in 1080p benchmarks, you'd have to go to a 2070 Super for $500. WTF??

It's a terrible time for budget gamers and video cards. I keep hearing about waiting until the next round of cards to see a solid $200-$249 option, but it's as if both nVidia and AMD are intentionally avoiding competing at this price range. We are literally a couple of weeks out from a whole new generation of high end cards, and as of today a search for $190-$250 cards on newegg yields only 1660's and 5500XT's, literally less than a 10% performance increase over the RX480/580 cards!! And with no announcement of a 3060 card in the latest round, budget gamers are again left looking at their 3-4 year old cards with no performance valued upgrade path under $250. Honestly there is no reason we shouldn't have 2060 Super and 5600XT performance at $200 by now when you compare them to performance that RX480/580's still put out 4 years later.

Rumors still claim a 3060 will come out later this year, and be somewhere between $300-$400 (many guessing $369 or $399). And Navi 23 is likely even further off (apparently the AMD midrange card), but any chance of it being $250 or below? Not likely. There just isn't anything coming down the pipe anytime soon that will be an upgrade to the RX480/580 in the sub $250 range. nVidia and AMD are only offering $400+ cards, or poorly performing sub $200 cards (like the 1650 at $190, equal to rx580 performance).

Maybe the days of the $200-$250 budget king cards are just over...

At least we can all agree there aren't any worthwhile AAA games coming out that would make use of high end technology other than TES6 in 2027.  And by then we'll be two more GPU generations removed from this latest announcement!

I like my games cheap precisely BECAUSE I upgrade and stay on the tip top of upgraded cards.  Laptop, Desktop, Rift, Rift Quest.  

Anyone else bite on the 50% Stranded Sails?  Started it this afternoon and it's starting very slow.

bread's done
Back