Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up!

Dev wants to squash key reselling that would occur with mass distribution. Or wants to be a cheapass. Take your pick.
I can understand his desire, but I'm not sure how firmly grounded his beliefs are. This also potentially pisses off a lot of (legit) bundle buyers, as many wouldn't learn of this in time.

The resale of keys like this is not allowed and illegal but most of these companies operate in countries with shady copyright and intellectual property laws.
He doesn't seem to understand that breach of contract =/= illegal. Countries are sovereign. They are free to make and enforce their own laws. That is not "shady".

There are still governments run by savages who still use Capital Punishment in the name of "law & order".

I have a steam key for [background=#414141]Litil Divil[/background] from the Bundle stars bundle.  Whoever wants it just quote me and I will PM.  Don't want lurkers taking it.

FYI, while the Special Edition and Special Edition Upgrade were briefly on sale with the same discount, they have since reverted back to full price. Developer claims this was an error and never intended, which is weird because when the Special Edition did NOT go on sale during the Summer Sale, they claimed that was a mistake as well.
I really want this game (though not at 55%), but I'm not sure I'd pony up 2x the cash (vs regular price) for three in-game items, a soundtrack, and a PDF.

He doesn't seem to understand that breach of contract =/= illegal. Countries are sovereign. They are free to make and enforce their own laws. That is not "shady".
You also have countries that are signatories to various copyright and IP agreements but which fail to actually enforce them, especially when it's a foreign company being affected. Both China and Russia are signatories to the Berne Convention but neither seems to put much effort into actually enforcing international copyright claims. Likewise for a bunch of ex-Soviet satellite nations. That is "shady copyright law" in my opinion.

You also have countries that are signatories to various copyright and IP agreements but which fail to actually enforce them, especially when it's a foreign company being affected. Both China and Russia are signatories to the Berne Convention but neither seems to put much effort into actually enforcing international copyright claims. Likewise for a bunch of ex-Soviet satellite nations. That is "shady copyright law" in my opinion.
Shady enforcement doesn't mean shady laws either, although it certainly can be true.

Random question, was there a bundle recently that contained Still Life? My mother randomly wants the game and I could have sworn I bought a bundle recently that had it, and I didn't redeem it since I already own it.

Found this over at SD, thought the Borderlands 2 crowd may be interested:

Randy Pitchford posted on his twitter some limited use SHiFT codes for Pre-Sequel cosplay heads and skins for Borderlands 2.

Axton as Athena:

Win PC/Mac: WJKJJ-RHKBX-SWTRW-3T33T-JK5ZS

PS3/Vita: KT53J-W3KZT-RT5ZK-SJC3J-9WHFT

X360: 5TCBB-BTCKF-JSRF9-KRT33-KCZWT

First come, first serve, a couple thousand redemptions per code. He'll post more codes in the coming weeks.

Random question, was there a bundle recently that contained Still Life? My mother randomly wants the game and I could have sworn I bought a bundle recently that had it, and I didn't redeem it since I already own it.
SL2 was free on GOG during their Summer Sale last month.

They mentioned the reason for that being is they're trying to avoid abuse from key resellers.
Sounds about right. Not a terrible idea, though I imagine some non-resellers may be screwed in the crossfire.

You must have an interesting mother.

So, Shantae is out. I know some here kept mentioning it.
$10 MSRP isn't bad if they actually did enough work on the original DSiWare version, otherwise I'd say that's a bit high for a port.

Either way, I'll probably cave at 50% off since I never owned the original.

Randy Pitchford posted on his twitter some limited use SHiFT codes for Pre-Sequel cosplay heads and skins for Borderlands 2.

Axton as Athena:

First come, first serve, a couple thousand redemptions per code. He'll post more codes in the coming weeks.

Too bad I just did a 6 hour marathon last night to beat TVHM with me and a few random blokes. My brain is fried after that. But thanks, mate.

You guys see the Portal 2 mod just released today? $5ish and all paint-based. A lot of people are complaining about charging for a 3rd-party mod, but I don't mind. After all, lots of Source engine games started as mods.

She looked good in Voyager as Seven of Nine, but that was back in the 90's when Laurie Holden (Andrea from TWD) was attractive. Now watch her in Mortal Kombat Legacy and notice how age has not been kind to her. Jeri's face has [customspoiler=sunken like the Titanic]
jeri-ryan-6.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Now, she reminds me of that [customspoiler=evil doctor in the Bugs Bunny cartoons that turns into the giant red monster]
178866.jpg
[/customspoiler]
You're criticizing her for aging over the course of 19 years? Get a grip motherfucker.

You guys see the Portal 2 mod just released today? $5ish and all paint-based. A lot of people are complaining about charging for a 3rd-part mod, but I don't mind. After all, lots of Source engine games started as mods.
People are still crying over that? They had to pay a huge fee to license the Source engine and Havok physics engine. This helped the game quite a bit.

It's $12 on DS, so I don't know how a better version for less is too high.
My bad. Thought it was $8 for some reason. $12 is kinda high to begin with.

Still, the game's a bit older now. I was just saying that I hope they put some work into the port.

$10 for a non-tiny screen portable release of a highly praised game with some bonuses to it? How is that a bad deal?
I was saying it wasn't a bad deal if there were bonuses and it wasn't a straight port.

You guys see the Portal 2 mod just released today? $5ish and all paint-based. A lot of people are complaining about charging for a 3rd-party mod, but I don't mind. After all, lots of Source engine games started as mods.
While I hope the majority of modders continue to work for free, to me, charging for a mod is fine as long as the people behind the base game and such are getting their cut. Seems fair.

I also continue to hope for a day where modders who "fix" broken games (which significantly contribute to sales of said game) get paid.

Who wants BioShock? (Leftover from Humble bundle.) PM me and its yours. I'll also post your username, here, so everyone can berate you for not having owned it yet.

Who wants BioShock? (Leftover from Humble bundle.) PM me and its yours. I'll also post your username, here, so everyone can berate you for not having owned it yet.
I bought it when it first came out on 360, couldn't get into it.

If it is just a mod, I'm not sure why they'd need to license either of those.
They're only licensing it because they wanna make money on the mod.

They're not charging for the mod because of the license cost. The specific price might be a result of the license cost though.

Steam keys for Rooks Keep are up on Groupees (Build a Greenlight Bundle 3).

Credit to plft for the heads up.
Sweet! About damn time.

To anyone who grabbed this game back then and never played it (not that anyone here would do something like that), Rooks Keep is a multiplayer arena brawler. Basically you choose a character, a map, and run around hack and slashing the shit out of everyone. It's ridiculously simple and ridiculously fun. Easy to pick up and learn, but still complex enough to take time to master. Graphics are great too.

Back when it was on Desura, there was pretty much no one playing online, but now that it's on Steam hopefully there will be a handful of people screwing around. Even then, the game is a blast with bots, which is how I played it. This game will be crazy fun with a bunch of CAGs playing together.

She looked good in Voyager as Seven of Nine, but that was back in the 90's when Laurie Holden (Andrea from TWD) was attractive. Now watch her in Mortal Kombat Legacy and notice how age has not been kind to her. Jeri's face has [customspoiler=sunken like the Titanic]
jeri-ryan-6.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Now, she reminds me of that [customspoiler=evil doctor in the Bugs Bunny cartoons that turns into the giant red monster]
178866.jpg
[/customspoiler]
Gilf alert.

For future reference, whenever you're wondering if a game was in a bundle at some point, just Google "x indie bundle wiki" with "x" being the name of the game. First result should be your answer.

Axton as Athena:

Thanks! I was pretty late to this and I still got one, so keys are still up. Pretty cool looking head and skin too. Looking forward to more of them (hopefully Gaige gets one).

It makes me sad that the only times I boot up BL2 is to input codes. I got to about level 30 solo and got bored. If only I had some friends to play it with. ;_;

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but Newegg has a sale on Squeenix games here:

Note: You may get an extra 15% Off the prices listed below with promo code EMCPCWE228

Someone Palinn these games so we get a Squeenix bundle this week!
There's a reason noone mentioned those deals .... THEY STINK

Quick aside: Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent HTPC video card (I prefer nvidia).  It will not be used for any kind of gaming at all.  

I'm looking at EVGA GeForce GT 610, 620 or 630 but I don't know  if I can do better in that price range.  

The old, Vista-run, Core2Duo PC it's going in is only used to stream online movies/tv/youtube and record TV in WMC.  I just cant see spending much more than $50 on it (and would prefer to spend less).

[sorry, I know this isn't really the place for it, but that build a pc thread doesn't see a lot of traffic and this is kind of a quick fix needed solution] 

Quick aside: Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent HTPC video card (I prefer nvidia). It will not be used for any kind of gaming at all.

I'm looking at EVGA GeForce GT 610, 620 or 630 but I don't know if I can do better in that prce range range.

The old, Vista-run, Core2Duo PC it's going in is only used to stream online movies/tv/youtube and record TV in WMC. I just cant see spending much more than $50 on it (and would prefer to spend less).

[sorry, I know this isn't really the place for it, but that build a pc thread doesn't see a lot of traffic and this is kind of a quick fix needed solution]
If you want dirt cheap, AMD is the way to go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131338

That's $10 after rebate.

If you want to "spurge:"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150673

$20 after rebate and it's an XFX

Thanks Fox, I'll take a look at those 2.   I'm really wary of AMD/Radeons - had a couple of bad experiences years back.. but maybe I need to get over that?

New flying bundle

http://www.flyingbundle.com/

includes toilet tycoon but its not on desura or greenlight

that appears to be the only thing in it worth a shit

maybe forklift simulator

someone can list the games and all that crap..took me enough to post it via mobile, you're welcome jerks

Thanks Fox, I'll take a look at those 2. I'm really wary of AMD/Radeons - had a couple of bad experiences years back.. but maybe I need to get over that?
I've mostly been an AMD user myself as a product of being cheap, but don't really have an issue with either. My last one was a a GTX 460 which was great, but due to size issues in my new case I moved back to a 6570. I've never really had issues with any of my AMD cards and have only ever replaced them due to upgrading. The GTX was great, but had signs of potential issues (green artifacts mainly).

All that said, for a PC where you are looking to spend as little as possible $10 or $20 bucks is worth a gamble and if it doesn't work out you could also use the rebate card to get a Nvidia card. That said, XFX has one of the best warranties in the biz. You should check which one applies to that particular card, but mine has a lifetime warranty so even if it messes up I can get it replaced.

re: AMD/Nvidia

I know AMD had a reputation for 'bad drivers' or some such like a bajillion years ago, but I've used both companies video cards over the years and they're pretty comparable. Just get whatever has a good price to performance ratio. And maybe some decent free games. :p

Mouse Deal:

Newegg has the CM Storm Spawn for $18 after Shipping and $20 rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826570012&cm_re=cm_storm-_-26-570-012-_-Product

It was as cheap as $15 after shipping and rebate, but I didn't want to post about it until I had one in hand myself to give my thoughts:

Design:  Looks and feels just like the Xornet except for a red shell and slightly heavier.

Performance: 3500 DPI vs 2000 DPI for the Xornet

Main Difference:  Onboard Sentinel X Chip - what this means is that you can store your settings (button assignments, macros, etc.) on the mouse itself and plug and play on different systems without having to re do them again.  Nifty feature, but probably not something a lot of people will use if you have this in one place.  I needed a new laptop mouse, so my trusty Xornet will move to the laptop and the Spawn will be my upgrade to my desktop.  Definitely happy with it and great price, though the Xornet is still rock solid.  

anyone who has any boxed retail copies of Sims 2 might want to harass EA support to have it added to their Origin account because apparently EA is discontinuing support for the old versions, releasing a new ultimate edition and giving it free to anyone who owns any Sims 2 games on Origin, at least according to someone on reddit.

Oh and I hope everyone who wanted Plith got in on it the brief time Carl had it up today on reserve your free key offer because

porky-pig-thats-all-folks-o.gif

anyone who has any boxed retail copies of Sims 2 might want to harass EA support to have it added to their Origin account because apparently EA is discontinuing support for the old versions, releasing a new ultimate edition and giving it free to anyone who owns any Sims 2 games on Origin, at least according to someone on reddit.

Oh and I hope everyone who wanted Plith got in on it the brief time Carl had it up today on reserve your free key offer because

I got an email about it too. Sims 2 will be replaced by Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. I can't find any info on what is in the Ultimate Collection and all Sims 2 products have been removed from Origin so I assume it will not longer be sold and Ultimate Collection will include all content for the game. If so, nice move by EA.

They also have a free game, FIFA World, in beta. I assume it is going to be Freemium like the mobile version of FIFA, but I am excited to give it a try and DLing now.

I'm in a 45-50 minute queue now waiting for EA live chat support. I was too lazy to have them add it in the past, especially since I've lost much of the expansion boxes and the thought of re-installing them all one by one makes my head hurt, but one big mega version to download added to my account? Yes please.

anyone who has any boxed retail copies of Sims 2 might want to harass EA support to have it added to their Origin account because apparently EA is discontinuing support for the old versions, releasing a new ultimate edition and giving it free to anyone who owns any Sims 2 games on Origin, at least according to someone on reddit.

Yup, I just had that added today (I had already chatted with support to add all my EPs a long time ago). Here's the email if anyone's curious:

Dear Origin gamer,

Your current version of The Sims 2 will lose technical support on July 22, 2014. We want you to have the most up-to-date version of The Sims 2 in your collection, so you will see a brand new addition to your Origin library: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.

This is the most up-to-date version of The Sims 2 and the version that is still supported by Origin. It also features a lot more content than you may already have in your current version of The Sims 2.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection will appear in your Origin library automatically. You'll need to download and install it to your computer to play it.

You're free to continue playing your existing version of The Sims 2, but please note that it is an older edition of the game that will soon lose technical support. To continue receiving support on your progress of The Sims 2 — including Sims characters, houses, etc. — you will need to transfer your save files of The Sims 2 to the Ultimate Edition. To learn more about backing up your data, please visit http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-up-your-sims-2-files/.

Once you've migrated your Sims' lives to The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, you can better organize your Origin game library by hiding your previous version of The Sims 2. Click on the tile for The Sims 2 in your Game Library for the option to hide it. If you need additional directions, we've got you covered.

Thanks for your continuing passion for The Sims.

— Team Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back