Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Greenday: Does your bios have a setting for disabling the integrated intel video? If so, I'd try that first before doing something so drastic as installing a new OS.

Also, while it's fashionable to go 'OMG it's Windows 8 fault!' for every problem that crops up, FWIW I did turn up several people having your exact same problem with the AMD video not being detected by Windows 7 when I did a Google search.

I'm not saying a new OS install won't work, but it might not either and sooner or later you might have a reason to have 8 installed for some program or other. It's best to see if you can work out the cause if at all possible instead of an OS reinstall. They are a huge pain and I say this as someone who has done them way too many times (and when people say 'Oh just add that game to a shortcut to Steam I remember how many times I've reinstalled OSes and they all went POOF :p)
I'll be wary.

I perhaps should have done this from the start, but newb here. Downloading some older drivers and seeing if they work. I noticed this old one was popping up in Vaio Care, and it says in the description it fixes a crashing issue. So we'll see. I've been using newer ones, I should see what they say. So much to do!

But I'll have to stop on this soon. Going to see Guardians of the Galaxy.

Dis driver: http://www.sony-mea.com/support/download/566301

I found a what is this i dont even while looking at reviews for The Campaign Series: Fall Weiss:

08b24b25d5.jpg

on profile: "I'm sick and tired of farming these cards which prevents me from playing games I want to play. Therefore from now on, I decided to give a bad rating for games that require 30 minutes or more between each drop. I guess it'll have very little impact on this system. My wish is that the cards are obtained automatically when purchasing a game.

This is unfortunately the only posibility to express my opinion."
Apparently this guy doesn't really get that card-farming isn't really the way the system is supposed to work--it's a convenient exploit used by many people to hoard Steambux but it's not really the general purpose of the system, which is to add value to the individual games while at the same time creating a new secondary market for Valve to exploit via the community market/trading system. Valve really gets its cut any way you slice it, but there's zero incentive for the company to make it easier for people to farm trading cards. OTOH, there's probably little incentive to address things like the new app from jshackles or SAM.

Is it really up to the devs to set the drop rate? I got the impression it wasn't. And rates can vary wildly even on the same game.

Is it really up to the devs to set the drop rate? I got the impression it wasn't. And rates can vary wildly even on the same game.
How did you manage that? The drop rates vary so severely between games that it seems obvious that they're set by the dev/publisher rather than valve.

How did you manage that? The drop rates vary so severely between games that it seems obvious that they're set by the dev/publisher rather than valve.
I thought I remembered some indie dev on some forum saying he didn't set it when someone complained but I honestly can't remember which game. Maybe there's a default if they don't mess with it. *shrug*

Cards are a major money maker for Valve so I find it hard to believe that they don't set the drop rate since they're the ones with the data to suggest the optimal drop rate: Too fast and you flood the market, dropping the price (and Valve's profit), too slow and you lose the casual game players who get their drops by actually playing or people who manually idle games and get frustrated waiting for some title to make its drops.

Somewhere in there is the maximum profit middleground and I doubt Valve trusts the developer of Platforming Bullet-Hell Retro Isometric Zombie Simulator to find it for them.

Cards are a major money maker for Valve so I find it hard to believe that they don't set the drop rate since they're the ones with the data to suggest the optimal drop rate: Too fast and you flood the market, dropping the price (and Valve's profit), too slow and you lose the casual game players who get their drops by actually playing or people who manually idle games and get frustrated waiting for some title to make its drops.

Somewhere in there is the maximum profit middleground and I doubt Valve trusts the developer of Platforming Bullet-Hell Retro Isometric Zombie Simulator to find it for them.
That doesn't explain why some games like They Breathe can get all the drops in around 45m, and others like Paper Dungeons take about 4h to get all the drops. If Valve is in control I'd expect every game to take about the same time, but there's clearly a large discrepancy between games which makes no sense if the developers have no say in the matter.

That doesn't explain why some games like They Breathe can get all the drops in around 45m, and others like Paper Dungeons take about 4h to get all the drops. If Valve is in control I'd expect every game to take about the same time, but there's clearly a large discrepancy between games which makes no sense if the developers have no say in the matter.
I would think that you're both right and that there is some kind of default drop rate that some devs choose to adjust and others do not, as was speculated upon earlier in the thread.

Daily Deal
Supreme Ruler 1936 - $39.99 $13.59

Weeklong Deals
Rush Bros. - $9.99 $0.99
Ubersoldier II - $9.99 $0.99
Earth 2150 Trilogy - $6.99 $0.97
X-Blades - $9.99 $1.49
Marine Sharpshooter II: Jungle Warfare - $9.99 $1.49
Gun Metal - $9.99 $1.49
Velvet Assassin - $4.99 $0.74
Sparkle 2 Evo - $4.99 $0.94
Avernum: Escape From the Pit - $9.99 $1.99
Exodus from the Earth - $14.99 $2.99
Hacker Evolution Duality - $24.99 $4.99
Bus Driver - $9.99 $1.99
9th Company: Roots Of Terror - $9.99 $1.99
Waking Mars - $9.99 $1.99
Trucks & Trailers - $11.99 $2.39
Earth 2160 - $4.99 $0.99
Making History: The Calm & the Storm - $4.99 $0.99
Dead Bits - $4.99 $0.99
Guns of Icarus Online - $14.99 $3.74
Primal Fears - $9.99 $2.49
Total War Battles: SHOGUN - $4.99 $1.24
Armada 2526 Gold Edition - $19.99 $4.99
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians - $9.99 $2.49
Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle - $4.99 $1.24
Mirror Mysteries - $4.99 $1.24
White Haven Mysteries - $4.99 $1.24
Mirror Mysteries 2 - $4.99 $1.24
Hard Truck Apocalypse / Ex Machina - $7.99 $1.99
SuperPower 2 Steam Edition - $9.99 $2.49
Not The Robots - $9.99 $2.49
The Book of Legends - $14.99 $3.74
Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai - $29.99 $7.49
AquaNox - $4.99 $1.24
King's Bounty: The Legend - $9.99 $2.49
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - $19.99 $4.99
AquaNox 2: Revelation - $4.99 $1.24
King's Bounty: Armored Princess - $14.99 $3.74
For The Glory: A Europa Universalis Game - $9.99 $2.49
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood - $9.99 $2.49
King's Bounty: Crossworlds - $14.99 $3.74
Ship Simulator Extremes - $29.99 $10.19
Richard & Alice - $5.99 $2.03
Memoria - $19.99 $6.79
Ridge Racer™ Unbounded - $9.99 $3.39
Construction Machines 2014 - $14.99 $5.09
Air Conflicts: Secret Wars - $9.99 $3.39
Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers - $19.99 $6.79
Super Hexagon - $2.99 $1.01
Air Conflicts: Vietnam - $29.99 $10.19
The Lost Crown - $9.99 $3.99
Signal Ops - $14.99 $5.99
War of the Human Tanks - $9.99 $3.99
Ionball 2: Ionstorm - $6.99 $3.49
GhostControl Inc. - $14.99 $7.49
VVVVVV - $4.99 $2.49
Pixel Puzzles: UndeadZ - $6.99 $3.49
Chernobyl Commando - $9.99 $4.99
Truffle Saga - $4.99 $2.49
Concursion - $9.99 $4.99
Racer 8 - $4.99 $2.49
Smugglers 5 - $9.99 $4.99
FLASHOUT 2 - $9.99 $4.99
0RBITALIS - $6.99 $3.49
Worms Ultimate Mayhem - $14.99 $7.49
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure - $19.99 $9.99
Tango Fiesta - $12.99 $6.49
Tales of Maj'Eyal - $6.99 $4.19
Theme Park Studio - $29.99 $19.79
Lords of the Black Sun - $24.99 $16.74
Heileen 1: Sail Away - $5.99 $4.19
Arcadecraft - $9.99 $6.99
Final Rush - $9.99 $7.49
SpeedRunners - $9.99 $7.99
Smooth Operators - $2.99 $2.39

I suspect that there is a random element to the drops as well. So they may specify an average, but RNG ultimately determines the drop.

Without actual long term testing, it's impossible to guess what the actual drop rates are or if some games are significantly different than others. Random numbers being random, confirmation bias, someone "remembering" it being slow when they were running ten games in SAM and all that.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong -- maybe devs do get some input. I don't think the self-submitted reports of a handful of gamers who take the time to opine on the perceived drop rates for a game are a safe way of determining if it's different.

The only thing I can say I consistently notice with cards drops after getting through 500 or so (ugh) games with them is that the last card almost always takes much longer so I imagine that's a Valve thing.

Some CAG needs to get a shitty RPG maker game on Steam so we can settle this whole do they don't they control the drop rate thing once and for all. :p

someone "remembering" it being slow when they were running ten games in SAM and all that.
I don't use SAM and can just check my own playtime in Steam to see how long it took. Obviously one person saying something isn't indicative of anything, but I think multiple people saying that a certain game drops cards significantly faster or slower than normal probably says something.

I don't think this was on the Steam front page:

Weekly Sale

WaifuJapanese Indie Festival

(Snip)
I own 19 of the 24 games and have keys for two more. This doesn't include stuff like Suguri for some weird reason.

The only thing I can say I consistently notice with cards drops after getting through 500 or so (ugh) games with them is that the last card almost always takes much longer so I imagine that's a Valve thing.

Some CAG needs to get a shitty RPG maker game on Steam so we can settle this whole do they don't they control the drop rate thing once and for all. :p
... Don't we already have a guy? The creator of Saturday Morning RPG used to post here a while back, didn't he?

Oh and that Concursion coupon works on the version with the soundtrack, if you're into that kinda thing too.

I don't use SAM and can just check my own playtime in Steam to see how long it took. Obviously one person saying something isn't indicative of anything, but I think multiple people saying that a certain game drops cards significantly faster or slower than normal probably says something.
Based against the number of games sold and cards dropped, the anecdotes of a handful of people are statistically meaningless.

I've had issues with this sometimes, they can hide the serials and no one, ever, ever, ever has their disc either. First, check to make sure your product key is not in the battery compartment (edit: I haven't messed much with Windows 8, never did more than a refresh). They seemed to finally figure out that the bottom of the laptop is a terrible place to put it (since it tends to get rubbed off) and I know some manufacturers hid the key there. Unless you got it from some shady dealer, it should be there someplace.
Some of this has already been said, but...

Win 7 & 8 keys can be in the BIOS, I think this is becoming more common. I had a (Ivy Bridge) Dell Inspiron 13z that had it's Win8 key in the BIOS (nowhere physically), that I recovered with Belarc before eventually upgrading to Win7. You can recover it later with by reading out the BIOS parameters.

I have 999 games in my account as of now.

What shall I choose to be my 1000th Steam game?
Don't wait too long or something might force your hand. Idiot was dragging his feet over what to pick for 1,000 and then Qube DC got added to his account as # 1,000. He was pissed. :lol:

Some of this has already been said, but...

Win 7 & 8 keys can be in the BIOS, I think this is becoming more common. I had a (Ivy Bridge) Dell Inspiron 13z that had it's Win8 key in the BIOS (nowhere physically), that I recovered with Belarc before eventually upgrading to Win7. You can recover it later with by reading out the BIOS parameters.
Yeah, my partially incorrect information was corrected. The Windows 7 laptops I've messed with had the serial there, but hidden, but to tell you the truth the last Windows 8 machine I was sorting out (some angry/incompetent McAfee tech managed to knock out their internet while he was screwing around with it remotely while at the same time trying to convince them they needed to pay hundreds of dollars for a "firewall"), I didn't bother to look for the serial.

I can't say I'm too big a fan of that whole bios idea. But, I guess it goes along with the notion of trying to limit the use of their products, which we know is a dream of Microsoft. They don't even like people selling their genuine Windows install discs, because as we all know those pirates go out of their way to pay for legitimate Windows discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back