Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
And there are console games that are worth 10s of thousands. Is that really the rarest PC game there is?

There's a Flintstones game on NES that's close to $1000 even without the box or manual.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flintstones-Surprise-at-Dinos-Peak-NES-1993-SHIPS-WORLDWIDE/201176073076?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25410%26meid%3De4e1135a77e84c21bd8aed788dbf523d%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10672%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D111289079035&rt=nc

And that's not even the rarest NES game.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a rare PC game, considering that technically any PC game -- present or past -- should be able to be played on a properly configured system. You're basically looking at a highly priced box and some lovely extras.

... and that's the difference between "rare" pc games and rare console games.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a rare PC game, considering that technically any PC game -- present or past -- should be able to be played on a properly configured system. You're basically looking at a highly priced box and some lovely extras.

Um. Not to contribute to an already stupid discussion, but what does scarcity of a physical item have to do with whether that item is compatible with a given machine?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would ever want to play a console game, much less one that's 15+ years old.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would ever want to play a console game, much less one that's 15+ years old.
Yeah, it's unimaginable that anyone would ever want to play any of the great console exclusives. If anyone is really, really into gaming, they're not going to want to be limited to the offerings of a PC or any particular console. Granted, it's perfectly understandable to prefer PC and play that when possible, but the notion that something shouldn't be played because it's not on PC is silly. Even if the PC can emulate it well, you're likely not getting the same experience without the right controller and the like.

Yeah, it's unimaginable that anyone would ever want to play any of the great console exclusives. If anyone is really, really into gaming, they're not going to want to be limited to the offerings of a PC or any particular console. Granted, it's perfectly understandable to prefer PC and play that when possible, but the notion that something shouldn't be played because it's not on PC is silly. Even if the PC can emulate it well, you're likely not getting the same experience without the right controller and the like.
Yup.

The PC game you posted is over 30 years old and the series had console iterations. Are you so closed minded that your own points conflict with each other? You know what never mind I think we all know the answer to that.

Last edited:
HeadShake.gif

Dumbasses.

[quote name="travathian" post="12153336" timestamp="1413030577"]Hmmmm, has anyone found a way to hack a console to act as a Steam streaming device? Can't the PS3 run yellow dog linux or something.[/quote]

You'd have to see if there is a steam build for the PS3 architecture. Or, if valve released source code for steam, build it yourself. I'd think you'd be better off trying it with a PS4, since its x86 (I think). But, I don't own a newer console other than a Wii, so I don't really know.

See, that's one reason why I still have a console. There are about 19,000 NES games and versions in every language, and they take up about 2GB. One game at 60GB with meaningless uncompressed foreign language support would take me a week or more to download. It's easier to buy a disc for $6 and always have it on some shitty console than to download and store or redownload it or share it with friends. And LAN parties suck.
have you tried Xbox or PS3? Last gen console has multiple language support all jammed into 1 single disc. Of course, for those useless language files (PS3 is the most frequent offender), something has to give (slower loading time, downgraded graphic, highly compressed audio etc.)

You can't apply digital reasoning to physical PC games. They're rare because not many copies exist, not because they're hard to get to run.

You can't apply digital reasoning to physical PC games. They're rare because not many copies exist, not because they're hard to get to run.
I didn't say anything even remotely close to that. I was trying to point out that rare PC games are cheaper than rare console games because, other than the deluxe packaging, the games are still (mostly) largely available from one source or another. People that collect console games (and I have my fair share of 2nd-5th gen stuff) are going to be looking to buy a physical copy.

Was going to make a post combining the fact that the daily is

FORCED (75% off $14.99 $3.74)

and my being FIRST to post it, but that sounds like more effort than the almost-pun is worth.

...and the deluxe edition is $6.24 and a four-pack is $11.24 ($2.81 each).

I didn't say anything even remotely close to that. I was trying to point out that rare PC games are cheaper than rare console games because, other than the deluxe packaging, the games are still (mostly) largely available from one source or another. People that collect console games (and I have my fair share of 2nd-5th gen stuff) are going to be looking to buy a physical copy.
I respectfully disagree. I've seen some crazy physical PC collectors in my time as a game reseller. People WILL pay tons of money for stuff most people would think is common, but it really isn't - even re-released stuff.

Why the hell would someone pay fifty bucks for a DOS game when it's available on Steam for ten bucks? I don't know. But that's how they are.

Anyway sorry for derailing the topic.

Once Reddit gets a hold of it, its basically killed dead.

And the dude above who got a dupe key, many people are reporting that on other sites where this "deal" has been posted.
That's what I mean, there's way too many people willing to take free steam game. Site starts giving errors -> everyone F5's in hopes of free keys, making situation worse.

I picked the wrong time to actually try to play a game.
Which is, of course, the real reason #TrueCAGs never play games. Who knows what kinds of glitches and flash sales you could miss while you're focusing on ridiculous wastes of time like gaming, eating, or sleeping?

TL;DR don't use www.tf2buy.com

Completed a transaction for 2 keys with Paypal and it got canceled and refunded for five cents less than I paid (lol).  I attempt to get my money's worth in the spoiler.

Please approve Order #3883, thanks.

-----

Or cancel it and keep five cents, whichever.

You can sell to whomever you want. If you want your items to go to people who will be using them in the game (I have never played, wanted them for a trade, and found the site via Google), that's fine, but you need to put that and any buyer restrictions on the front page of the site, on the shopping cart page, and in the FAQ, at minimum.

As of now I think one of the stipulations is not having only 2-3 games in your account (was buried on maybe page 10 of these comments), which doesn't apply to me; and having the premium edition of TF2 or something (which I don't and didn't know was a thing), which seems to be posted nowhere at all associated with the site.

With the rules for buyers both vague and unlisted on the main website, you need to be issuing full refunds for canceled orders. The customers are not wasting your time by making purchases that will ultimately be canceled; you are wasting the customers' time with the complete lack of communication of purchaser requirements.

Just my five cents.

Which is, of course, the real reason #TrueCAGs never play games. Who knows what kinds of glitches and flash sales you could miss while you're focusing on ridiculous wastes of time like gaming, eating, or sleeping?
This is very true. Every single time I try to really sit down and play/watch something, I always get burned on deals like this. Though, life is a little better when not hounding over Twitter for free Steam games all of the time.

I have come to the conclusion that Steam itself is the most important game, and to miss a minute by playing any other game is a horrible waste of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back